What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

A strangely disappointing shave today, given that the gear is all proven and the beard a 48-hour:

Gillette NEW Short Comb/Feather blade (3)

PAA Atmotic soap

AP Shave Co. synthetic brush

Clubman Special Reserve AS; Assured lotion, Clubman powder

For some reason the Atmotic whipped up unsatisfyingly thin. Slick as usual, and I don't require that my lather be billowy, but thin nevertheless. I face-lathered twice, then applied the razor. Pass 1, WTG; pass 2, throat only, ATG, and a little cleanup. Smooth and without irritation, but I'm surprised at the Atmotic.

Verdict: 9.2.
I've noticed inferior shaves from gear and products I know to be good. Maybe weather changes affect it that much.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Thursday's shave
The Forgotten Blades edition

Pre-shave: shower
Razor: Merkur 34C
Blade:
NOS Schick Plus Platinum, Teflon coated, #3
Soap: Pre de Provence Bergamot Thyme
Brush: reknotted Ever Ready 150 24mm TGN silvertip
Post shave: Thayer's WH folowed by Pinaud Clubman A/S splash in vintage bottle

DFS+, 9.5 / 10

Smooooooth shave, once again. Think Vin Diesel and Barry White singing a duet smooth. There are times when you wonder if you even loaded a blade. Back to my usual daily driver, the 34C. And used Clubman, why? Well, because It's still the king of after shaves, IMNSHO.

You owe it to yourself to try some of these blades. They still pop up on the 'bay all the time, at about $1 per blade. But for a treat, why not?

2021-09-23_shave.jpg

Pre Shave: Warm Shower, Stirling Unscented Pre Shave Soap
Razor: OneBlade Hybrid
Blade: Feather FHS-10 (2)
Soap: Stirling Sheep
Bowl: Blue Timeless Bowl
Brush: Simpsons Commodore X3 Best Badger
Post Shave: Cold Water Rinse, Thayers Unscented Witch Hazel, Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm, Polo Double Black EDT
Rating: 10/10 Excellent 3 pass BBS with no touch ups. No weepers, cuts or irritation. Very good shave! Second shave by flipping the blade, so one shave on each side.

Final few days until heading home; we're in Brooklyn until we depart Monday. Today's shave two-pass, 9++, DFS, no weepers, no irritation, and minimal stubble remaining:

Pre-shave: cool shower
Razors: Occam's Razor
Blade: Feather AC Pro (1)- fresh blade = close shave
Brush: Omega boar
Soap: The Blades Grim
Post-shave: cold rinse, then Old Spice AS

Have a great day!
PXL_20210923_134839187.jpg

23 September 2021 Shave

Pre-shave:
Warm shower. Applied some Cornhuskers Lotion
Razor: Gillette Fatboy
Blade: Personna Blue (4th use)
Soap: TOBS Coconut
Brush: Omega Professional Boar
Post shave: Alum block, Cremo AS Balm, Floid Mentolado Vigoroso

8/10. Three pass shave - setting 5 for WTG and XTG. Setting 3 for the ATG pass. Too aggressive (aarghh!!) for the smooth feel on the ATG pass on the neck - made evident with the alum block.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Slantemper 23rd 2021

Razor: Razorock Wunderbar slant, Mfg 2017> excellent upper mid range, light touch technique, well built with 316 stainless + very close tolerances.
Blade: Polsilver SI (2) great blade, Sharp & smooth with good longevity. I always cork this blade on first shave because Iridium coating is harder than most coatings available.
Soap: Razorock XXX, nice clean powdery scent with excellent lather qualities with tallow added.
Brush: Yaqi Red Zebra 26 mm synthetic :001_wub: excellent lather generator, heavenly cloud like soft tips, nice gentle scrub luxury feel + excellent lather painter!
Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on the cleaned beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups.
Post shave: Razorock XXX with witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea Moisturizer balm(very good+ scentless)
Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers= :a17:Excellent shave with my RR Wunderbar slant with a Polsilver SI blade.

SOTD,  Sep 23rd 2021.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Soap: Stirling Ben Franklin
Razor: GEM 1912
Blade: GEM stainless
Brush: Trafalgar T2
Aftershave: Witch Hazel / VIBR
Balm: Nivea Sensitive

This scent really grew on me. I'm sure I'll end up killing this sample during the holiday season for sure. I usually don't still smell the shave soap on me after putting on aftershave, but I'm getting both the bay rum and notes from the soap at the same time right now and it is quite nice.

Another great shave with the GEM. Will continue to use it for a bit.

10/10. 1 weeper on cleanup, but that was me being dumb and not the fault of anything I used.

20210922_084455.jpg

Razor: Schick H2 Blue DEB Lady's Injector Razor
Blade: Personna Injector
Brush: Simpson Commodore X2 Best Badger
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Fine American Blend
Aftershave: Aqua Velva Classic Ice Blue
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Imperial Leather Talcum Powder
Rating Ten. A type G with a really short handle!

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Soap: Stirling Ben Franklin
Razor: GEM 1912
Blade: GEM stainless
Brush: Trafalgar T2
Aftershave: Witch Hazel / VIBR
Balm: Nivea Sensitive

This scent really grew on me. I'm sure I'll end up killing this sample during the holiday season for sure. I usually don't still smell the shave soap on me after putting on aftershave, but I'm getting both the bay rum and notes from the soap at the same time right now and it is quite nice.

Another great shave with the GEM. Will continue to use it for a bit.

10/10. 1 weeper on cleanup, but that was me being dumb and not the fault of anything I used.

I had that scent in one of their bar soaps...very different. It does grow in you though.

My Thursday Morning Shave
Prep: Warm shower​
One pass shave: WTG​
Razor: Karve Brass Christopher Bradley. 3-1/2" Handle, SB-D​
Blade: Gillette Nacet (5)​
Pre-Shave: None
Brush: WSP The "Duchess" White in Silvertip​
Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat Shaving Soap w/ Ceramic Bowl
Facial Toner: Thayers Alcohol-Free Original Witch Hazel Facial Toner with Aloe Vera Formula​
Aftershave: Every Man Jack Fragrance Free Face Lotion and Post-Shave. Menthyl, Chamomile, Shea Butter, Vitamin E​
9.4/10 DFS! No irritation! No nicks!

So... Since I'm a bit behind today is a catch up and a bit of a comparison.
Sundays shave 9/19-
Pre: Cremo daily face wash, Proraso White preshave.
Soap: Arko
Brush: Boreal boar brush
Razor: ATT Windsor SSM plate.
Blade: Dorco prime platinum (1)
It seems like the Proraso preshave gummed up the narrow shave gap on the SSM plate and negated the slickness of the Arko. 😞 I would rate it back to a 7/10
PXL_20210919_012342463.jpg

Tonight's shave-
Pre: Cremo daily face wash.
Soap: Arko
Brush: Boreal boar brush
Razor: ATT Windsor SSM plate.
Blade: Dorco prime platinum (2)
Much better... The slickness of the Arko was back to it's usual and the set up worked well even with the extra few days of stubble. WTG, XTG, and cleanup..Rating 8.5/10.
PXL_20210924_003210193.jpg

Decided on a "recovery shave" today, something really mild:
tempImageqBSlgc.jpg

Brush: PAA Solar Flare
Lather: B&M Dickens Revisited with Proraso Blue for a super lather
Blade: Gillette 7 O'Clock Black (2)
Razor: Gillette Heritage on Parker 26c handle -- found a steeper angle with this was more effective
Post: Thayer's and Stirling Lemon Chill -- the Lemon Chill actually paired well with the Dickens Revisited

Usually this AS splash doesn't match well with other scents, but I thought the cherry in the soap and the lemon went well. This was a mild shave. DFS results and a little rougher in a couple spots. Needless to say, no blood, irritation, etc. Rating: 9.3/10. I got what I wanted. Back to something more aggressive tomorrow.

Today’s shave

First Autumn shave

Preshave: From Slock’s mad scientist lab Slock’s universal, certified soon to be internationally famous proprietary shaving oil blend.
Razor: Canadian Prewar Tech
Blade: GSB

Soap: Stirling Varen
Brush: Semogue 1305
Balm Stirling unscented balm.
Aftershave: Oleo Soap works 40

BBS

Top Bottom