What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Today's shave.

Mach 3 razor with the Taylor Of Old Bond shaving cream

Shave score, 4/10

Reason for that score: Don't know what the hell went wrong this morning but the shave was rather mediocre and I got a couple of nicks on my chin. Had to do several passes to get something resembling a half-decent shave. The ridiculous lubricating strip left my face all gunked up and became rather 'stringy'. Took some time to clean off.

Ah well, I suppose we all have a bad shave day from time to time.

Jason.

@JasonJT Well, that was good! It will teach you not to go back to the stupid mult-blade cartridges again, now that you've discovered DE razors! Why would you do that to yourself? :lol: I agree about those gummy lubrication strips. Once I started with the DE ten years ago, I never used a cart again. Used BIC Metal single blade disposables when traveling by plane.

How did you like the Taylor? What scent? That stuff is excellent, and reasonably priced.

Soap: Proraso Green
Razor: Pre-War fat handle Tech
Blade: 7 O'clock SS
Brush: Trafalgar T2
Aftershave: Witch Hazel / Osage Rub

Wanted a green shave today since it's so soupy outside today (hopefully the last day like this for the rest of the year). Excellent shave. Along the lines of it being as good as it gets. Had 1 pesky weeper that refused to die with the styptic pencil, so I let it live as a nod of respect for its bleeding resilience.

10/10

33C_Cella_PAAAR.jpg

Merkur 33C, Gillette Silver Blue (1), Cella, and PAA Atomic Rocket. I give it a solid 9, DFS neck and BBS cheeks.

@JasonJT Well, that was good! It will teach you not to go back to the stupid mult-blade cartridges again, now that you've discovered DE razors! Why would you do that to yourself? :lol: I agree about those gummy lubrication strips. Once I started with the DE ten years ago, I never used a cart again. Used BIC Metal single blade disposables when traveling by plane.

How did you like the Taylor? What scent? That stuff is excellent, and reasonably priced.
Hi thanks for your reply!
The Taylor was the Sandalwood scent. I don’t know; maybe it’s just me but I found the smell a bit too strong for my liking. I’ll try some other scents in due course. I used my Mach3 as I didn’t have enough time to use my DE. Perhaps I should get up a bit earlier!

Jason.

Brush: SV High Mountain White Manchurian hand tied knot, this is another brush that everyone at some point should own.

Blade: Personna Israeli Red (4), this blade has been very consistent with every use.

Soap: Tabac one of the easiest soaps to lather and slickest.

Razor: WR2 SS SB 1.35 w/ Timeless Ti Crown 👑 Handle

Post Shave: 4711, Hyaluronic Acid

10/10
130E9C01-7816-47CF-8237-FC4BE86C3679.jpeg
9882913E-F684-42DD-9223-CC70114DA2F2.jpeg

tempImageWxYOx2.jpg

Brush: RR Tricolore
Lather: B&M Dickens Revisited, then Proraso Blue when I ran out of lather on pass #3
Blade: Tatra (3)
Razor: Gillette New SC on Parker 26c handle -- cool combo!

A third very nice shave on this blade, with no blood. This was my best shave ever with this razor head, I think. BBS- results and no irritation. I ran short of lather midway through the shave so I threw some emergency Proraso in the bowl and carried on. Rating: 9.7/10.

Today's cold water shave

Todays was not supposed to be a shaving day BUT my AC broke. It is 86 degrees on the second floor of my house. Modern houses in Florida are not constructed to take advantage of any natural ventilation like a cracker house did back in the early 1900s. So, you just suffer when the AC goes out. I took a cold water shower and shave to cool down. The water isn’t that cold but there is a temperature difference between the 78-degree water and the 86 degree bathroom. I expect the first cold front of the season to arrive sometime next month.

Preshave: From Slock’s mad scientist lab Slock’s universal, certified soon to be internationally famous proprietary shaving oil blend.
Razor: Gillette Slim (6)
Blade: GSB

Soap: Muhle Sea Buckthorn
Brush: Stirling Finest Badger
Balm Stirling unscented balm
Aftershave: Stirling Mountain Man

BBS

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
shave 20210918_212045.jpg

Razor: Blackland Razors Vector SB (Timeless Ti TRH8 Handle)
Blade: Kai Captain Titan Protouch MG (5)
Brush: Wild West Brushworks Volcanic Ash Handle (TNS 26mm Original BOSS Fan)
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: Vito's Extra Super Coco
Aftershave Balm: Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm + InstaSkincare Hyaluronic Acid
Aftershave: Old Spice Classic

Superb shave! :cool:

Check out my Journal for shave notes and other musings:
never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/never-stop-learnings-quest-for-knowledge.611194/

Sept Stirling SR Sun 19 SOTD
Soap Stirling Hipster
Brush Yaqi 24mm Clear Handle Synthetic
Razor J. R. Torrey 5/8
Aftershaves Stirling Witchhazel MitA + Stirling Margaritas in the Arctic Splash
Another awesome soap! The scent is very nice with a creamy and slick lather...typical Stirling quality!
Another enjoyable shave with this razor...really liking the edge and performance...sharp yet smooth. 3passes for mixed dfs/ccs/sas results. I've finally understood why many don't do as many passes with the SR as there's really not much to shave the next day...I realized SR shave results lasted much longer compared to my DE or SE, even if it's only a DFS. Aftershaves were terrific today. Rating 9.7/10
20210919_122439.jpg

Razor: Rockwell T2 (3.2)
Blade: Permasharp (1)
Brush: PN boar
Soap: Proraso white
Aftershave: Zingari navigator

This was my first experience with Permasharp (or any other 5/5) blade so I was a bit anxious but... Darn this was a smooth shave. I had no nicks, but 30 mins post shave I do get the feeling that my face is a bit aggitated.
If I'm not mistaken sharpness should increase on use 2...am very curious but so for so good.

IMG_20210918_214749_edit_32010494023238.jpg

Today's cold water shave

Todays was not supposed to be a shaving day BUT my AC broke. It is 86 degrees on the second floor of my house. Modern houses in Florida are not constructed to take advantage of any natural ventilation like a cracker house did back in the early 1900s. So, you just suffer when the AC goes out. I took a cold water shower and shave to cool down. The water isn’t that cold but there is a temperature difference between the 78-degree water and the 86 degree bathroom. I expect the first cold front of the season to arrive sometime next month.

Preshave: From Slock’s mad scientist lab Slock’s universal, certified soon to be internationally famous proprietary shaving oil blend.
Razor: Gillette Slim (6)
Blade: GSB

Soap: Muhle Sea Buckthorn
Brush: Stirling Finest Badger
Balm Stirling unscented balm
Aftershave: Stirling Mountain Man

BBS

Isn't context weird? When I read here "my AC broke" I immediately jumped to "Shavette or SE?"

Figured it out eventually.

Sunday morning.

Vintage Thomas Turner "Encore" 6/8 round point straight razor
Semogue Pharos black horse brush
Taylor of Old Bond Street "Cedarwood"
Vintage (1980s) Yardley Black Label aftershave

A very pleasant Sunday morning shave from the TT. The brush is around a year old and the hair is a less deep black than it was, but still good. TOBS always makes piles of lather, and the cedarwood is certainly a smell I'd recommend.

I'm calling it a "9" today.

34267817-0187-4556-8A23-FBE716468A60.jpeg

Razor: Gillette Flare Tip A4
Blade: King C Gillette (4)
Brush: PAA Phantom Aerolite
Soap: Arko
Aftershave: Old Spice

Good morning! Very nice shave today. Face lathered Arko, 2 passes with the Super Speed (wtg, atg) and some touch up. DFS+ Finished with Old Spice.

9.5/10

19 September 2021
20210919_061101.jpg

Prep Brush
Old Spice bar soap Using —Gray Dog—Ohio
Razor:
King C Gillette (KCG) Closed Comb --China & Germany
Cream:
Proraso Green—Tube Only remaining cream
Blade:
Dorco Stainless—South Korea Shave #2
Lathering Brush:
Omega—11126--Italy
Bowl:
Q-shave Scuttle
Passes:
WTG and ATG light buffing
Cleanup:
Rinsed and dried face, f/b Dickinson’s Witch Hazel f/b Alum rub down.
Aftershave:
Jeris Musk for Men—USA
Rating(s):
10.0 BBS
Comments:
My first shave with Proraso Green since 26 May. I had forgotten how slick and creamy it was.

For today, only token stubble, along with no nicks, or weepers.

Saturday's shave

Pre-shave: shower
Razor: 1940's fat-handle Tech
Blade: Personna med prep #1
Soap: Haslinger Schafmilch
Brush: B&B Anniversary Omega boar
Post shave: Thayer's WH folowed by Clubman in vintage bottle A/S splash

DFS+, 9.5 / 10

Very nice! First ever shave with Schafmilch. I can see why folks like it. It is, perhaps, the easiest soap I've ever lathered, EVAH. While it is not as slick at Tabac or Cella, it is slick enough, and the shave was excellent. Face felt excellent afterwards.

I have not used a med prep in years. My first impression this morning was, "Dang, this thing is smooth!" I don't know if it's as sharp as other blades I use, but sharp enough, but it shaves on #1 like almost every other blade shaves on shave #2. I have no idea how they achieve that, but this would be a great beginner blade, IMO, just for that reason.

View attachment 1330445
John, the Med Prep is my favorite blade. I find them very smooth. Did you use the new formula Haslinger soap or the old, tallow version? I found the tallow version to be quit slick.

Top Bottom