What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

Thursday morning shave, nice two passes, plus clean up, 9/10, CCS+ , no weepers, no irritation, and not much stubble:

Pre-shave: cool shower
Razors: SNMRIN adjustable set on 4
Blade: Nacet (3)- blade is noticeably less sharp
Brush: Shavemac 20mm Pure badger
Soap: ARKO stick- usual nice lather
Post-shave: cold rinse, then some CVS Original AS- an Old Spice clone, and a shake of Clubman talc in my shorts

Have a great shave! View attachment 1329192
Does the Old Spice clone smell like Old Spice? I ask because I remember 10 years ago people were talking about the classic scent of Old Spice (Shulton) Was different than the modern version. Someone mentioned that the Family Dollar version smelled just like the old version. I can’t say one way or the other. I’ve never used any Old Spice, although that was my brother’s daily aftershave.

Brush: Morris & Forndran 2XL , 28mm Finest, this is an incredible brush, I like it so much I ordered the same knot in the Pug Handle.

Blade: Personna Israeli Red (3) this blade is a great match for this razor, 3rd shave as great as the first.

Soap: MDC Fougere, every single item in this shave is top notch.

Razor: WR2 SB 1.35 w/ Timeless Ti Crown 👑 Handle

Post Shave: 4711, Hyaluronic Acid

10/10
CC6346C0-6AF3-495F-82A4-685F1D54A079.jpeg
370CEFA3-1914-4D80-8770-F496FE76AB04.jpeg
A2369694-70C4-4627-AF85-50B2041CAC21.jpeg
7509C603-1DC4-4F74-9ECD-C326E2FD7841.jpeg

- Brush: Simpson Classic 2 Best
- Razor: Razorock Hawk v3
- Blade: Feather SoftGuard
- Soap: Southern Witchcrafts Pomona
- Aftershave: Southern Witchcrafts Pomona
- Post Shave: Thayers Rose, Hyaluronic Acid

First time using Pomona and it is excellent stuff for a vegan soap. Perfect fall scent (think apple cider but complex). The only other SW I have tried was Autumn Ash and enjoyed the performance but the scent wasn’t my favourite. Tons of lather very quickly with this soap. My wife said I smelled like a Yankee Candle, but I love it. 👍

I haven’t used the Classic 2 for a while as the handle is a bit small for me. I decided to give it another chance and I really enjoyed it today. It is a sleeper in the Simpson lineup that deserves more love. If you didn’t know, you would swear it is a Chubby. Very dense knot.

The Hawk 3 is an excellent razor but the SoftGuard blade is much too mild for me with the standard SB plate. I plan to try this blade with the more aggressive OC plate to see if that gives me a better shave.

8.5/10

8F896F5E-9F4F-416D-973F-4C217566ED70.jpeg

Blade: Personna Israeli Red (3) this blade is a great match for this razor, 3rd shave as great as the first.

The Personna Israeli Reds and Wizamet SI make up the bulk of my razor stash. I bought 600 of the Personnas and 750 of the Wizamets. I think that the Personnas are a bit smoother and the Wizamets a bit sharper. The PIR doesn’t seem to get rough as it wears, it just slowly loses efficiency much like the Polsilver Stainless Steel blade. Great blades both of them.

tempImageycPDqd.jpg

Brush: PAA Green Ray
Lather: Stirling Piacenza
Blade: Tatra (1) -- first use of this blade ever; I'm finally diving into a sampler sent by @South Dakota Guy!
Razor: Parker 26c

Two lovely shaves in a row with the 26c. BBS with only a couple "missed" spots. I'm continuing to enjoy cold water rinses, and the scent from the Piacenza agreed with me more than it usually does. The Clubman matched it well, since both are powdery. I thought the blade worked very well, and the wrapper offers a different visual style. No blood, no irritation. Rating: 10/10 again. First time two days in a row.

View attachment 1329495

Brush: PAA Green Ray
Lather: Stirling Piacenza
Blade: Tatra (1) -- first use of this blade ever; I'm finally diving into a sampler sent by @South Dakota Guy!
Razor: Parker 26c

Two lovely shaves in a row with the 26c. BBS with only a couple "missed" spots. I'm continuing to enjoy cold water rinses, and the scent from the Piacenza agreed with me more than it usually does. The Clubman matched it well, since both are powdery. I thought the blade worked very well, and the wrapper offers a different visual style. No blood, no irritation. Rating: 10/10 again. First time two days in a row.
I got those Tatar blades with my Winning razor and I still haven’t tried one yet. What are your thoughts on it? Which reminds me tomorrow is Fatip Friday. I need to break out the FOCS you gave me tomorrow!

Brush: Morris & Forndran 2XL , 28mm Finest, this is an incredible brush, I like it so much I ordered the same knot in the Pug Handle.

Soap: MDC Fougere, every single item in this shave is top notch.

Razor: WR2 SB 1.35 w/ Timeless Ti Crown 👑 Handle

Post Shave: 4711, Hyaluronic Acid

10/10View attachment 1329429View attachment 1329432View attachment 1329433View attachment 1329434
Beautiful brush & razor + awesome soap = “Jelly”! Wonderful pics capturing your hardware and software.

Lefonque

Even more clueless than you
15D972BD-421E-41ED-AA67-2DF6907896EF.jpeg

PrePAA Cube 2.0 USA 🇺🇸
SoapSquadron Dutch Resistance, Australia 🇦🇺
BrushBGB Fallen G6 Badger, Australia 🇦🇺
RazorFaTip Piccolo slant, Italy 🇮🇹
BladeGillette 7 O’clock yellow, Russia 🇷🇺
Post ShaveProraso Alum, Italy 🇮🇹 Proraso Balm Italy 🇮🇹
FragrancePAA Hotel Cecil, USA 🇺🇸
Rating8/10

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
20210916_155001~2.jpg

Razor: Blackland Razors Brass Blackbird SB
Blade: Perma-Sharp (6 and retired)
Brush: RazoRock Hive 24 Mokasoft HD Synthetic
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: Vito's Extra Super Coco
Aftershave Balm: Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm + InstaSkincare Hyaluronic Acid
Aftershave: Bootlegger's Green Freeze
Fragrance: Classic Match EdT Spray (Belcam version of Jimmy Choo Man)

Superb shave! :cool:

Check out my Journal for shave notes and other musings:
never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/never-stop-learnings-quest-for-knowledge.611194/

Prep : Warm Water Splashes + Glycerin Face Wash
Razor: Feather Artist Club SS
Blade: Feather ProGuard Blade (D6)
Brush: Simpson Duke 3 in BEST Badger
Soap: Temptation Shaving Soap
Aftershave: Alum Block + Cold Water Rinse + Biotiq Wild Grass AS Gel
Rating : 9.91/10 :pipe:

Very close, comfortable and smooth BBS in 3 passes ! :001_wub:

Sept Stirling SR Fri 17 SOTD
Soap Stirling Black Cherry
Brush Yaqi 26mm Rainbow
Razor Red Imp 132
Aftershaves Stirling Witchhazel Orange Chill + B&M Cheshire AS Balm with some Frost Drops...
Another good quality soap! The scent is mild, something like cherry tobacco and also almond but the lather is a wow, nicely creamy and slick!
The shave with this razor was nice, smooth, and enjoyable. 3passes for a mixed dfs/ccs/sas result without any issues. Aftershaves were awesome and cool...! Rating 9.5/10
20210917_124840.jpg

Razor:Rockwell T2
Blade:Voskhod (3)
Brush:Percey Nobleman Boar
Soap:Stirling Dunshire
Aftershave:Stirling Dunshire splash + balm
Rating : ++++

I've been getting nothing but awesome shaves on the Voskhod blades. Did also adjust my razor to a more mild setting and went from shaves WTG and ATG to WTG, XTG, ATG. So quite possibly it's not just the blades, but man I've been so happy ever since I've changed to this routine. :thumbup:

Razor: Blackland Vector Titanium
Blade: Kai Captain Titan Pro Touch MG (2)
Brush: Chisel and Hound Buffalo Valley / 26mm V9 Fanchurian
Bowl: Captain’s Choice Copper (Heavyweight)
Soap: Ariana & Evans Never Alone (K2e)
Aftershave: Ariana & Evans Never Alone
Rating: 9/10

Another fantastic shave today, my second with the Vector and I gotta say it is a joy to use. I think I figured out the angle for the most part except my jawline. I was BBS everywhere except I didn’t notice until I was applying my splash, I missed a small line on the bottom edge of my jawline from ear to ear. As I’m not used to shallow angle, I’m obviously changing or not changing the angle like I need to when I transition from the neck to my cheeks, oh well I’ll figure it out soon enough. Other then that it was an effortless and smooth shave, I love the Vector already.

I purchased Never Alone as all of the proceeds go to a cause that means a lot to me. Being honest, I’m always hesitant to get an A&E soap, of the 10 (full size or samples) I’ve smelled, they have all been really strong and / or really sweet. Well this one was bang on medium, right where I like it, and was an enjoyable barbershop type scent that my wife liked as well. Get to support two great charities and the scent is right in my wheelhouse, win-win.

1B01213D-B953-4B3B-9681-16903F6679ED.jpeg

Does the Old Spice clone smell like Old Spice? I ask because I remember 10 years ago people were talking about the classic scent of Old Spice (Shulton) Was different than the modern version. Someone mentioned that the Family Dollar version smelled just like the old version. I can’t say one way or the other. I’ve never used any Old Spice, although that was my brother’s daily aftershave.
The bottle of CVS Spice has been here at Mom's for years. I'm not sure if it was my Dad's or something I picked up. It smells similar to Shulton's original Old Spice- a generic spice, pleasant, mild, and doesn't last too long. This AS is not shown on the CVS web site currently, so I'm thinking it was the result of a now abandoned private label experiment on their part. It may have been supplied by Shulton, or not, the text on the bottle didn't help much.

17 September 2021
20210917_060433.jpg

Prep Brush
Old Spice bar soap Using Omega—Gray Dog—Ohio
Razor:
King C Gillette (KCG) Closed Comb --China & Germany
Cream:
Old Spice Original—India Until it is used up
Blade:
Dorco Stainless—South Korea Shave #1
Lathering Brush:
Omega—11126--Italy
Bowl:
Q-shave Scuttle
Passes:
WTG and ATG lots of buffing
Cleanup:
Rinsed and dried face, f/b Dickinson’s Witch Hazel f/b Alum rub down.
Aftershave:
Jeris Musk for Men—USA
Rating(s):
10.0 DFS+
Comments:
A substantial improvement over yesterday’s shave! The Shark blade may have been a dud.

For today: No stubble, nicks, or weepers.

Top Bottom