What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

9/15/21
Razor: MMOC
Blade: GEM PTFE
Brush: Paladin El Dorado
Soap: VITOS Extra Super
Lather: Face
Aftershave: Aqua Velva Ice Blue

The Shave: WTG, ATG, and a goatee XTG pass for a BBS.
Excellent lather, slickness, and scent from my VITOS. This soap is under represented for how great and economical it is.
My Paladin El Dorado…bliss!
Rocking my MMOC & PTFE blade with the expected awesome results. Finished with AV Ice Blue. The PTFE blade is starting to give up a little on goatee it’s 14th shave. 9.75/10.
25DF89BC-E3BA-4522-893C-C5632AB92D28.jpeg
DD1C7229-B88A-4598-9AA2-07B5834D1D07.jpeg

Originally I wasn't going to shave today. But . . . I'm at home thanks to Hurricane Ida until Monday. So why not go for a longer beard shave?

Today, a 24-hour beard: Gillette Red Tip from '56/Personna Red blade (3)

Stirling Texas on Fire soap

AP Shave Co. synth brush

Pre-shower, Stirling Sharp Dressed Man AS; post-shower, Assured lotion, Clubman Special Reserve AS, Clubman powder

A quick face wash with Dial soap, then I whipped up the soap on the brush and face-lathered. It went on relatively thin, but slick as Stirling soaps seem to be. Pass 1, WTG; pass 2, throat only, ATG, plus a little cleanup. The plan is to go 72 hours, until Saturday morning, until the next shave. Should be interesting.

Verdict: 9.4.

To synth or not to synth...

Trafalgar T3

Haslinger Schafmilch
Gillette Brazilian Goodwill
GSB (2)

The GSB seemed a little rough today. Last weak’s use of (my last) Feather got me thinking if the Mythical Japanese blades aren’t the better choice - for the Goodwill.

Haslinger Schafmilch. Today, if I had to pick one soap, tha Schafmilch would be it.

Now, for the philosophical part of the shave. I’m not sure the T3’s induction to the Synthetic Hall of Fame is secured. Some may argue the brush is an All Star, but no Hall of Famer. Others may think otherwise. The point is: it is a good synthetic brush. And every time I use it, I think if I shouldn’t just stick to synthetics - even if the Omega Jade is not going anywhere. But sometimes it feels like having a vintage sports car and a brand new BMW.

Disclaimer: I know the vast majority of folks will disagree with the above. These are just my own nusings on the subject.

Overall - 7, for the unusual roughness (of the GSB?)

808B91DB-254D-4410-8362-EE3F49CCA44D.jpeg

Soap: Stirling Pumpkin Spice
Razor: '79 U.K. Spiral Tech
Blade: Treet Classic
Brush: Omega Pro 49
Aftershave: Witch Hazel / VIBR

Haven't used my desert island razor in a while. Flawless. The Treet blade didn't feel as sharp as I remembered but heck, it's carbon steel and I've had this tuck forever. The edge may have degraded slightly. Still a great shave though and will try to squeeze at least another shave out of it.

Used the stock handle for this razor this time around, as I've been using a replacement brass ball end handle with it. It's really hard to go back to the super light stock handle on this piece after experiencing it with a heavier handle, so had to pay close attention to not use too much pressure. There really isn't any "use the weight of the razor" here because it's so light!

Always impressed with the lather from the Omega Pro.

10/10

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Wednesday's shave

Pre-shave: shower
Razor: Super Speed (1940's)
Blade: Perma-Sharp, #3
Soap: RR Santa Maria del Fiore
Brush: Sterling boar
Post shave: Thayer's WH folowed by Pinaud Classic Vanilla A/S splash

DFS+, 9.5 / 10

Perma Sharps continue to impress me. SMdF is still a glorious soap for me. The Sterling boar is coming along nicely, not as broken in as my others, but about halfway there. I'm replacing the label on the Classic Vanilla, that's an old-timey barber bottle it's in.

The SS is a very nice razor, no doubt. After this, though, I'm going to go back to my fat-handle tech and continue my blade experimenting starting with another Perma Sharp. I find this does not shave any closer than the tech (about the same shaves) but I prefer the slimness of the tech head to the TTO.

2021-09-15_shave.jpg

Pre Shave: Warm Shower, Stirling Unscented Pre Shave Soap
Razor: GEM 1912 Junior 1920's version
Blade: GEM PTFE (6)
Soap: PdP #63
Bowl: Blue Timeless Bowl
Brush: Semogue Cherry Handle SOC Badger
Post Shave: Cold Water Rinse, Thayers Unscented Witch Hazel, Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm, Polo Double Black EDT
Rating: 10/10 Excellent 3 pass BBS with two touch ups. No weepers, cuts or irritation. Very nice mindless shave. A GEM Jr just gives an exquisite shave, no drama and so easy to use. It's such a testament to a razor to hold up so well for it's age and be so ahead of it's time.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
DE SOTD, September 15th 2021, Won this razor on a fund raising raffle and it arrived yesterday. It is called a TARMAX adjustable DE and it fair to say American Ingenuity is alive and well in our shaving world.
Tom White invents & designs products and is a seasoned machinist and likes designing razors in different concepts as a Hobby. This adjustable razor was used for my first shave and really did not expect a lot of difference to my other adjustable razors but I was wrong. The TARMAX first pass was smooth and quieter than other adjustables, had to inspect thinking it was not cutting whiskers, but was like shaving on a setting 3-4 on a Fatboy for shaving comparison. It was set on 5 of 8 different settings references on 1st pass so I cranked it to 8 of 8 and on 2nd pass & pickups(you can go pass 8 setting because of design). The results were very good for first time out and received a DFS,BBS. Sweet spot angle seems around 45 degrees. Because of the blade sits flat basically it gives a very different smooth shave. I enjoyed the shave and like variety so it is scores a high score IMO.
TARMAX adjustable DE Tom White TARMAX creation 4.jpg

Razor: TARMAX adjustable DE by @twhite (only 4 made)-Mfg 2021, the razor is made of Aluminum and holds a blade excellent, heats up quickly with hot water so no cold steel to face, interesting concept. Gives a smooth shave and is a keeper.
Blade: Gillette Astra SP (testing standard)- Sharp & smooth, great longevity.
Soap: Speick stick, nice spicy scent, excellent lather qualities. Tripled milled soap and well made.
Brush: Yaqi Viper 24mm boar (new), Excellent lather generator, nice soft split end hair tips, nice scrubber, great lather painter, joy to use a nice boar brush IMO.
Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on the cleaned beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups.
Post shave: Witch hazel to clean skin, Lavanda aftershave +a dollop of CeraVe balm (scentless).
Results: 9.5/10 or CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers = :a17:excellent shave with my TARMAX adjustable DE with a Astra SP blade.

SOTD,  Sep 15th 2021.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Lupo.95,Astra(3),MDC Vetyver,Simpsons Tulip1,Thayers,Prorasso aftershave,Nivea sensitive,Prorasso green.A nice smooth comfortable shave but missed a bit ATG on cheek so deducting a point.It's my first time using this soap i really like the vetyver scent to me it smells grassy and a bit woody but i'm useless at describing scents.Really nice though.It's a 9/10 today.Take care happy shaves everyone.
20210915_155738[1].jpg

Wednesday morning shave, a very nice shave while still staying in suburban New York; two passes, plus clean up, 9++/10, DFS , no weepers, no irritation, and minimal stubble remaining:

Pre-shave: cool shower
Razors: Occam's razor- two-dot head
Blade: Feather Pro AC (2)- nice sharp blade
Brush: Simpson T2 synthetic- works okay, my preference is still natural brushes
Soap: PAA CK-6 Future Fiction shave stick- kept in a pill bottle for travel; nice lather, great post-shave feel
Post-shave: cold rinse, then some Aqua Velva Classic Ice Blue AS

Have a great day!
PXL_20210915_172115943.jpg

Tuesday’s SOTD

Razor:
Blackland Vector Titanium
Blade: Kai Captain Titan Pro Touch MG (1)
Brush: Chisel and Hound Cenote / Shavemac 26mm D01 2-Band Silvertip (Bulb)
Bowl: Captain’s Choice Copper (Heavyweight)
Soap: Murphy and McNeil SFWS South Beach (Kodiak)
Aftershave: Ethos Clean (Unscented) Skin Food Splash
Rating: 10/10

First shave with my new Vector Titanium and first shave with a safety razor that wasn’t a DE, so I started slow using the Kai guarded blade. The first half of the WTG pass was a little rough as I was trying to figure out the angle and pressure as I’m a steep angle shaver with a DE but on the left side of my left side, I found a shallow angle that was much smoother and needed a light touch like my Timeless Titanium, didn’t need to add much, if any, extra pressure. The rest of the shave was effortless, I found the Vector very nimble plus the little wider head worked great on the right side of my neck where the hair swirls in a circle, it took less effort and strokes to get that area down which is great as that’s one area that can lead to over shaving and irritation. In regards to the weight of the titanium version, I haven’t used the SS version but my Timeless Titanium is about the same weight of the Vector SS. When I held them both before the shave, there was a difference in weight but after the first few strokes during the shave, I honestly didn’t notice the weight, or lack thereof, or felt like I added any extra pressure compared to my Timeless. My face is smooth with no blood or irritation and I’m left with that feeling like I didn’t just shave, my face is smooth but I don’t feel like I just dragged a sharp piece of steel along it. The Shavemac D01 2-band is becoming my favourite knot, the scrub it has is wonderful and pairing it with M&M’s kodiak base is a match made in heaven.

TL;DR: First shave with the Titanium Vector or a non DE razor. It took about half a pass to figure out the right angle, the rest of the shave was fantastic. It was one of those shaves where your face is smooth but your face doesn’t have that feeling like you just dragged a sharp piece of steel along it. It’s only the first shave with the Vector but to say I’m impressed would be putting it mildly.

76437B63-9A92-4DAF-BF09-2C80E08AC891.jpeg

20210914_081218.jpg

Razor: Supply V2.0 Stainless matte black
Blade: Schick Injector
Brush: Simpson Captain 2 Best Badger
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandalwood
Aftershave: Old Spice Classic
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Imperial Leather Talcum Powder
Rating Ten

Love TOBS! Pretty much all I use is traditional English creams. I have three soaps: B&M Seville, Stirling Executive Man and DR HARRIS Arlington. How would you compare the 7 O’clock yellows to GSB or Voshkod?

For me, Voshkods are nothing special.

IMO, the yellows are a bit better than GSB. Just as a point of reference, my top blades are (in no particular order):

Gillette 7 O'clock Yellow
Nacet
Perma Sharp
Polsilver

I have the 7 O'clock blacks and GSB, and both are good blades, but these work better for me. YMMV.

Wednesday Shave:

Prep: Shower and face washed using Eucerin Face and Body Wash
Razor: Henson AL13 Medium
Blade: Voskhod(first use)
Pre Shave: Proraso Green
Shaving Cream: Proraso Green
Post Shave: Alum Block, Dickinsons Witch Hazel, Skin Bracer splash, Proraso Green Balm

Went back to using the Henson for the first time in over a month and holy crap, this was easily my first 10/10 shave in a long time. Complete BBS on the face and the neck which I dont think I have ever achieved before. I dont know if it was a combo of the razor and blade or my technique being refined along with my grain being properly mapped out now but I got zero nicks and no razor burn. The alum block barely gave any neck stinging which is extremely rare for me. I will be using all the same things for my next shave on Saturday to see if I can replicate this shave.

Pre: Cremo daily face wash.
Soap: Caisson Shaving - Code Four
Brush: Shave Nation mixed badger
Razor: ATT Windsor SSM plate.
Adjusting my technique a bit trying for a lighter touch with a heavier weight razor than the ones I started with. I would rate it back to an 8/10 after dipping down a bit earlier in the week on the learning curve with the new razor.
PXL_20210916_004302108.jpg

Top Bottom