What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

Shave 1.jpg

Pre
Face wash with Neutrogena Liquid Facial Soap
Soap/Cream
Haslinger Coconut, Tallow Formula
Brush
Maggard's 28 MM Syn
Bowl
Captain’s Choice Copper
Razor
UK Aristocrat
Blade
Wizamet
Aftershave
Thayers WH & Proraso ASB
Fragrance
Yves Saint Laurent
Rating
10/10
Comments
This is the 100th shave with the Haslinger old formula soap. The brush is the large 28 mm Maggards syn. My wife spotted my UK Aristocrat razor and asked if this was a new razor. I told her I have had this razor for a long time, and it was older than her! It gives a great shave. Have a good one guys.

9FCEBBAA-42F9-45B0-8467-7065C9F1424D.jpeg

Razor: Razorock Lupo 72
Blade: Astra Superior Stainless (2)
Brush: Omega 10066
Soap: Stirling Spice
Aftershave: Old Spice

Good morning! Very nice shave today. Face lathered with the Omega boar, which was very pleasant. The Astra SS was cutting smoother than yesterday, got a comfortable, near BBS. Finished with Old Spice. A very nice shave indeed.

9/10

Razor: MMOC
Blade: GEM PTFE
Brush: PAA Solar Flare
Cream: Captain’s Choice Venture
Lather: Scuttle/face combo
Aftershave: Captain’s Choice Italia

The Shave: WTG/ATG for a DFS shave. Excellent lather using a mildly cold scuttle today. The CC Venture & Solar Flare worked great with the small scuttle.
My MMOC performed as expected and I got great results with an easy two pass shave. Italia is a great compliment to Venture.
10/10!
0B392DE9-CBD8-4E49-9764-E25DD20CDC15.jpeg

Pre Shave: Warm Shower, Stirling Unscented Pre Shave Soap
Razor: Blackland Sabre on 1 dot plate
Blade: GEM PTFE
Soap: Stirling Electric Sheep
Bowl: Blue Timeless Bowl
Brush: Semogue Cherry Wood Handle SOC Badger
Post Shave: Cold Water Rinse, Thayers Unscented Witch Hazel, Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm, Polo Double Black EDT
Rating: 9.875/10 Very Good 3 pass BBS shave with two touch ups with another razor. No weepers, cuts or irritation. First shave with the Sabre due to the generosity of another member here on B&B. First impression is the handle can be fussy to get back on after a blade insertion, it's a little heavy and overall not sure it's that much better than a G Bar or Bullet Tip. Will do some more shaves with it and see if my first impression changes.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Result: 10/10
Pre-Shave: Cold water splash - PAA Tube 2.0
Soap: Mystic Waters Bay Rum
Brush: Barrister and Mann Tuxedo synthetic
Razor: PAA DOC Ascension (Aluminum model w/Blackland Dart SS handle)
Blade: Kai SS (2)
Post-Shave: Cold water splash - Stirling Bay Rum-scented Witch Hazel - Lucky Tiger face tonic
AS: St. John's Virgin Islands Bay Rum

The PAA DOC provided a really nice shave this morning...very pleased with this razor. Second use of it. DFS/BBS with no blood...except inside my mouth from having three wisdom teeth pulled. I've had two Mystic Waters soaps now for a while, but just got around to using one for the slickness rating. Mystic Waters makes the cut. From what I read on their website, the soap is a tallow soap with additional slickeners added, shea butter and lanolin. It lathered easily and produced a good volume of slick lather. The only negative is that the soap puck is small compared to the container it comes in, but that did not stop me from blooming the soap nor did it slow me down from building up product on my brush...so...I can live with it to have another slick product in the lineup. First use for St. John's Virgin Islands Bay Rum. Have had my eye on this one, but it was a bit cost prohibitive. Finally got around to pulling the trigger on a four ounce bottle last week. My initial impression is that it's quite aromatic and it very much reminded me of...wait for it...Ogallala Bay Rum! I buy Ogallala in the Double Strength formula, so this St. John's is not quite as strong as my bottle of Ogallala, but the scent is similar. Anyway, my two cents...clink, clink.

Quick addendum on the St. John's Virgin Islands Bay Rum...my wife actually said...Ogallala is a bit sweeter in scent, but the St. John's is spicier.

Happy Shaves, Everyone!

A_Kit 20210904.jpg

Last edited:
IMG_20210904_094050.jpg

Prep: cool shower with King C. Gillette beard and face wash
Preshave: Tube 2.0
Brush: Frank Shaving 26mm two band Manchurian
Soap, Splash, EdP: Ethos DFS Colonia
Razor: Karve CB brass with plate D
Blade: wizamet Polsilver Stainless
Post shave: alum, witch hazel, hyaluronic acid, brickell balm, splash

9/10

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Slantember, 4th, Sat, 2021

Razor: Razorock German37 slant, excellent mid range, I have to adjust the blade a little to the top cap, excellent results + 1st razor to get a true BBS yrs ago when I first started traditional wet shaving. Very efficient razor with easy handling.
Blade: Gillette Astra SP(3) excellent blade, sharp & smooth with great longevity.
Soap: Razorock Santa Marie del Fiore, nice scent with vanilla & light tobacco + excellent lather qualities.
Brush: Yaqi Moka express 26mm 2 band badger, excellent lather generator, pillow like soft feel, nice scrubber + great lather painter.
Pre shave: Brush(dedicated cashmere syn) wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a clear dollop of Aloe Vera gel on the cleaned beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups.
Post shave: Razorock Santa Marie del Fiore with witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea with HA.
Results: 9.5/10 or CCS, DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers= :a17: excellent shave with my RR German 37 slant with a Astra SS blade.

SOTD,  Sep 4th 2021.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Result: 10/10
Pre-Shave: Cold water splash - PAA Tube 2.0
Soap: Mystic Waters Bay Rum
Brush: Barrister and Mann Tuxedo synthetic
Razor: PAA DOC Ascension (Aluminum model w/Blackland Dart SS handle)
Blade: Kai SS (2)
Post-Shave: Cold water splash - Stirling Bay Rum-scented Witch Hazel - Lucky Tiger face tonic
AS: St. John's Virgin Islands Bay Rum

The PAA DOC provided a really nice shave this morning...very pleased with this razor. Second use of it. DFS/BBS with no blood...except inside my mouth from having three wisdom teeth pulled. I've had two Mystic Waters soaps now for a while, but just got around to using one for the slickness rating. Mystic Waters makes the cut. From what I read on their website, the soap is a tallow soap with additional slickeners added, shea butter and lanolin. It lathered easily and produced a good volume of slick lather. The only negative is that the soap puck is small compared to the container it comes in, but that did not stop me from blooming the soap nor did it slow me down from building up product on my brush...so...I can live with it to have another slick product in the lineup. First use for St. John's Virgin Islands Bay Rum. Have had my eye on this one, but it was a bit cost prohibitive. Finally got around to pulling the trigger on a four ounce bottle last week. My initial impression is that it's quite aromatic and it very much reminded me of...wait for it...Ogallala Bay Rum! I buy Ogallala in the Double Strength formula, so this St. John's is not quite as strong as my bottle of Ogallala, but the scent is similar. Anyway, my two cents...clink, clink.

Quick addendum on the St. John's Virgin Islands Bay Rum...my wife actually said...Ogallala is a bit sweeter in scent, but the St. John's is spicier.

Happy Shaves, Everyone!

View attachment 1322522
Good to know about the Bayrum slight differences, I like the Ogallala brand myself. I remember when I got my wisdom teeth pulled, upper two, I was hurting and when I left the dentist office I was happy to have those rascals taken out & felt 100% better for it!

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Birthday Shave! Saturday

Pre-shave:
Shower
Razor: B3 Gillette Red Tip (3rd quarter, 1956)
Blade: GSB, 1st shave
Soap: Tabac (old version)
Brush: B&B Omega Boar
After shave: Thayer's unscented and Pinaud Clubman A/S Splash

DFS shave, 9.0 / 10.0

Well, I've been playing with different blades in the Gillette fat-handle tech recently, and then I got distracted with my "high school shave" using the same razor I started shaving with back in the day, the Schick M3 Adjustable. With all the fun I've been having I forgot my birthday shave!

My birthday was a couple of weeks ago, but I do have a birthday quarter red tip, in the correct box, with the correct instruction sheet, and I just found the correct blades for it on the 'bay, so soon to have a complete birthday razor package! Anyway, I do not need an aggressive razor, may have been better off with a blue tip or a plain, but what I found was a red tip so it is what I have. The more aggressive razor does not bother me at all, however, as I've been so focused on technique the last few weeks, this shave was delightful.

And holy moly, did I nail the lather. The stuff I pulled out of the brush was as dense as what you get out of a Gillette Foamy can, but much slicker. And controversial as it is, I love the scent, maybe I should have paired it with The Veg today, but I was in a Clubman mood. Tomorrow.

birthday-2021.jpg

Razor: Schick DE 1966 (pre Krona)
Blade: Schick - Super Chromium 1966 (2)
Brush: Yaqi - Sagrada Familia (24mm synthetic)
Pre-Shave: CeraVe Foaming Facial Cleanser
Lather: Stirling - Unscented with Beeswax
Aftershave: Stirling - Hipster (Splash)
10F288FD-BAF9-4DB9-8DD2-B200BB3B2718.jpeg

Shave Rating: 10/10
No more showing off!
On my last shave, I showed everyone how to shave with four Super Chromium blades at one time. Today I decided to shave the old fashioned way, one blade at a time. Mind you, my four blade shave had no adverse effect. The only thing lacking was the Omega shave cream.
Todays shave was as smooth as a Moslen Golsen. The Stirling beeswax soap gave my single DE vintage Schick blade it’s head and produced a very fine quality BBS in every aspect. I may stick to this “one razor/one blade” system. It seems to work well for me.
The only thing I wasn’t sure about was if I should call this the blade’s 2 shave, or 1&1/4?

Last edited:
Fabulous Fine Saturday shave, two and a half-passes, 10/10, BBS, no issues, no irritation, and no stubble- my lovely wife approves :001_rolle . Not many scents are good with her, she's sneezed from Clubman, and turns away from me when I spray on some of the Veg; I suppose using the Veg is surely one of those passive-aggressive things women complain that we husbands do :lol:.

I've just been getting outstanding shaves here in Arizona, with the water softened lathering is a dream. Plus, I'm sure the daily swims are helping to soften my beard. OTOH even the cold tap water comes out quite warm here. In Reno, no softener, our water is hard, but maybe only a third as hard as untreated tap water in Arizona.

Pre-shave: morning swim, then a shower
Razors: Occam's razor- two-dot head- there's a subtle difference in use between the original version and the OREN version, but the end results are pretty much the same; the shaves are super close and very relaxing
Blade: Feather AC Pro (1)- blade is new, sharp and smooth
Brush: Simpson Chubby1 in Best- surely amongst the best face lathering brushes tried; thinking about getting a Chubby 1 in Super, but I'm not sure it would be any better, as this brush is just so sweet in use
Soap: Fine L'Orange Noir- the old formula hard little puck, very slick and protective lather, with a great scent
Post-shave: rinse, a big splash of Fine L'Orange Noir AS, to complete a marvelous shave

Enjoy your shaves and all be well!

PXL_20210904_165828448.jpg

Certainly not as fancy as some of you guys shaves, but here was my effort for today:

Pre: Hot shower and Nivea deep cleaning face wash
Cream: Palmolive shave cream
Brush: Vulfix #28 pure bristle
Razor: Merkur Progress, setting 2 (WTG & ATG)
Blade: Rapira Super Stainless, 4th use
After: Nivea sensitive ASB

Overall result: 7/10

Shave could have been a bit closer and encountered some mild chin irritation on the ATG pass, which I chalked up to exceeding the blades useful lifespan (these usually start dulling after the 3rd shave). Other than that, a good result, may upload a picture later!

Thanks,

R

JCarr

Birthday Shave! Saturday

Pre-shave:
Shower
Razor: B3 Gillette Red Tip (3rd quarter, 1956)
Blade: GSB, 1st shave
Soap: Tabac (old version)
Brush: B&B Omega Boar
After shave: Thayer's unscented and Pinaud Clubman A/S Splash

DFS shave, 9.0 / 10.0

Well, I've been playing with different blades in the Gillette fat-handle tech recently, and then I got distracted with my "high school shave" using the same razor I started shaving with back in the day, the Schick M3 Adjustable. With all the fun I've been having I forgot my birthday shave!

My birthday was a couple of weeks ago, but I do have a birthday quarter red tip, in the correct box, with the correct instruction sheet, and I just found the correct blades for it on the 'bay, so soon to have a complete birthday razor package! Anyway, I do not need an aggressive razor, may have been better off with a blue tip or a plain, but what I found was a red tip so it is what I have. The more aggressive razor does not bother me at all, however, as I've been so focused on technique the last few weeks, this shave was delightful.

And holy moly, did I nail the lather. The stuff I pulled out of the brush was as dense as what you get out of a Gillette Foamy can, but much slicker. And controversial as it is, I love the scent, maybe I should have paired it with The Veg today, but I was in a Clubman mood. Tomorrow.

View attachment 1322561

Happy Birthday, comrade! Hope you have a grand Birthday day! Looks like it started off wonderfully with a great kit and a great shave! Peace be to you. God Bless!

JCarr

Good to know about the Bayrum slight differences, I like the Ogallala brand myself. I remember when I got my wisdom teeth pulled, upper two, I was hurting and when I left the dentist office I was happy to have those rascals taken out & felt 100% better for it!

Dentist was great...he really was...all I felt was pressure...no real pain. Had two top and one bottom extracted. Bottom right came out in pieces, but he got it out. Needed a couple of stitches on that one. He prescribed some steroids for the swelling and some Tylenol with Codeine for the discomfort, but it's actually not been bad. Some minor swelling from the working over, but it'll be gone in another day or two. All in all, as you said, glad they're out...they can't cause problems anymore.

20210903_083847.jpg

Razor: Gillette 1938 Senator
Blade: Feather Hi Stainless
Brush: Simpson Butterscotch Chubby 2 Synthetic
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Noble Otter Noir et Vanille
Aftershave: Old Spice Classic
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Imperial Leather Talcum Powder
Rating Ten. What a great combination of blade and razor! Superb!

And thanks to @NoScrubs who sold me this fine vintage tool!

I can see that, I couldn’t believe how much lather I got from a small scoops worth. I’ll make sure to post my thoughts here when I try Fougere
I'd be interested to know i've been thinking of going crazy and getting the Fougere it's £44 her in the UK for 200g i believe about $60.There's so many mixed reviews some saying it dries your face out.I'd love to know if it's slick enough.I've heard it lasts a long time so if if it's really good i might just go for it.Can't wait to hear your thoughts.Have a good day.

Top Bottom