What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

09B0DD24-000D-4572-8B28-50497FEA2955.jpeg

Razor: Razorock Lupo 72
Blade: Nacet (4)
Soap: Stirling Electric Sheep
Brush: Omega Jade
Aftershave: Stirling Electric Sheep

Good morning! First use of the Omega Jade brush. I was looking for something to replace my 49 Pro, and this will likely do just fine. Face lathered Electric Sheep, and it was a little scritchy, but honestly feels half broken in already. It did eat all my lather between passes, but was expecting that being brand new. The Nacet and Lupo performed well as expected. Mostly BBS. Finished with Electric Sheep AS.

9.5/10

26 July 2021
20210726_063140.jpg

Prep:
Old Spice Bar soap
Razor:
Van der Hagen—Germany
Soap:
Razorock Saturnia --Italy Until I use it up (using last of my rain water)
Brushes:
Gray Dog--Ohio
Blade:
Derby Premium----Egypt Shave #3
Passes:
WTG and ATG
Cleanup:
Rinsed and dried face, f/b Witch Hazel f/b Alum rub down.
Aftershave:
Brut--Mexico
Rating(s):
10.0 BBS
Comments:
For today, no stubble, nicks, or weepers. Need to 'scoop' just a bit more soap tomorrow.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Rating: 10/10
Pre-Shave: Cold water splash - Cremo Shave Cream Bourbon Vanilla scent (Brushless - applied by hand.)
Soap: Barrister and Mann Reserve Waves
Brush: APShave Co. Emerald synthetic
Razor: RazoRock Lupo SS SB .72
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue (2)
Post-Shave: Cold water splash - Thayers Lemon-scented Witch Hazel - Lucky Tiger face tonic
AS: Epsilon Blue Mediterranean splash
EDP: PAA All Finn

Excellent shave. No blood or injuries of any kind, DFS/BBS. Gillette Silver Blue is even better on the second use. Two days of growth mowed down with ease. So...a confession of sorts...I will no longer be using any razor other than my Lupo .72. It just hits the spot for me. I will be putting my name back on the Wolfman list...that's the only uncharted territory yet to be sailed, but I'll more than likely be selecting a WR1 head, probably a .80 gap.

Happy Shaves, Everyone!

Kit 20210726.jpg

Pre-shave (in order of use)
- Jack Black Face Buff Energising Scrub
- Truefitt and Hill Pre-shave Oil
- Lea Shave Stick

Post-shave (in order of use)
- Omega Alum Block
- Stirling Tea Tree, Witch Hazel & Aloe
- Hylamide Skin Serums
- Scottish Fine Soaps Thistle & Black Pepper Aftershave balm
- Arran Lochranza Aftershave Balm

Tools
- FaTip Piccolo OC
- Vikings Sword (4)
- Semogue SOC Taj Boar

Fragrance for the day
- Davidoff - Cool Water Celebration Edition

Shave Rating: 7.5/10
I hadn't shaved for a few days so I decided to try the OC plate with my FaTip Special Edition. It easily mowed down the stubble but I probably should have stopped after two passes and used a duller blade. Compared to the Gentile plate there was quite bit more blade feel and I was aware that if I made a mistake I was be cutting myself (although I managed not to)! Another excellent lather from the LEA stick as well, not quite as good as La Toja but still an excellent shave stick.
Overall, a close shave but a touch of irritation and some alum sting!

Shave 1.jpg

Pre
Face wash with Neutrogena Liquid Facial Soap
Soap/Cream
GFT Sandalwood Cream
Brush
B&B Essential Boar
Bowl
Captain’s Choice Copper
Razor
Feather AS-D2
Blade
Feather
Aftershave
Thayers WH & Neutrogena Triple Protect
Fragrance
TOBS Sandalwood
Rating
10/10
Comments
Switching back to the Feather/Feather combo for the 12th shave with this combo. The shave is still as smooth as can be. I do notice that my beard grows back faster when using this razor. Yesterday I used a Mergress, and my beard was not as rough this a.m. Nevertheless, a great combo that never gives me any cut or irritation. The cream is still going strong and the boar brush makes loading lather easy. A perfect BBS shave. Have a good day, gents.

View attachment 1302312

Razor: Razorock Lupo 72
Blade: Nacet (4)
Soap: Stirling Electric Sheep
Brush: Omega Jade
Aftershave: Stirling Electric Sheep

Good morning! First use of the Omega Jade brush. I was looking for something to replace my 49 Pro, and this will likely do just fine. Face lathered Electric Sheep, and it was a little scritchy, but honestly feels half broken in already. It did eat all my lather between passes, but was expecting that being brand new. The Nacet and Lupo performed well as expected. Mostly BBS. Finished with Electric Sheep AS.

9.5/10
Great brush…just wait till it breaks in.

Razor: GEM Micromatic Open Comb (MMOC)
Blade: GEM PTFE
Brush: Paladin 28mm 2CLNF7 Samurai in Honey Noir
Soap: Captain’s Choice Nor’Easter
Lather: Bowl/Face combo
Aftershave: Gillette Cool Wave

The Shave: WTG/XTG/ATG passes for a BBS shave. The Paladin Samurai made a nice wet, fragrant lather with the CC Nor’Easter. I decided to add the XTG pass because every thing was in sync today. Finished with Cool Wave. Simply a great shave, 10/10.
344EB7BC-E33C-4BB8-B588-6794D99830F8.jpeg
007009FA-BBF1-49C0-A203-73A165AC3F28.jpeg
DB4F0908-E807-40A7-8ED6-0A662EB13098.jpeg
2B01378C-4C25-4453-99EF-90496F2453EF.jpeg

Not too much variation, I’m afraid.

Gillette Brazilian Goodwill (that’s the only razor I use. I think of bringing the DE89 out, for the sake of taking a different picture, but...)

Bolzano (German made) - 7th shave

Ach Brito Mogno - this is a special soap

The “dented” Trafalgar T2

I load from the Mogno bar. That gets my other hand with a fair amount of soap, which I "pre hand lather" on my face, before I let the brush do its job. I'll try hand lathering, no brush, one of these days. If I'm not mistaken, @Dovo1695 does it and recommends it. Anyway, this soap is special and as elegant as it gets: understated elegance.

Blade: the Bolzano did its job, but... I had a 2 day growth, which is unusual for me, since I tend to shave daily. I realized that the shave would have been quite different had I had a 1 day growth. And that got me thinking about blades and razors, and how different shaving frequencies might impact the way we evaluate things. I'll use the Bolzano for an 8th shave tomorrow, with a 1 day growth, to see how different my impressions are (keeping the other variable constant if I manage the willpower).

Shave was good, although I was late and in a hurry.

Overall - 7.5 (for the rush, basically)

2E961033-ECF9-4BBE-BB4D-5DF888316819.jpeg

Pre Shave: Warm Shower, Stirling Unscented Pre Shave Soap
Razor: OneBlade Hybrid
Blade: GEM PTFE (de-splined only)
Soap: Stirling Varen
Bowl: Blue Stirling Bowl
Brush: WCS Beacon Silvertip Badger
Post Shave: Cold Water Rinse, Thayers Unscented Witch Hazel, Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm, Proraso Red AS
Rating: 9.95/10 Excellent 3 pass BBS shave, 5 touch ups. No weepers, cuts or irritation. Blade stayed in place during whole shave. A GEM blade makes for a smoother shave, maybe not as efficient, but smoother. Hopefully I will get more than 2 shaves from the GEM like I do from the Feather FHS-10.

Razor: Merkur 34C
Blade: Israeli Personna (2)
Brush: Omega 10049 Boar, 26mm
Bowl: Timeless Razor

Lather: Derby Normal Moisturizing Shaving Cream

Veleiro After Shave Splash

A smooth and comfortable three passes.
After Shaves were good.
A close finish with no nicks or weepers or razor burn.
Have a great day everyone [emoji106]
proxy.php

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
GEMonday, July 26th 2021

Razor: Gem Damaskeene 1912 open comb, Mfg 1912-15, the razor that turned Gem into household brand for decades, excellent tame mid range, easy carefree shave this morning. One of my oldest and hardest to find A.S.R razors in my collection .
Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE (4) excellent blade, Very sharp, great longevity, smooths out nicely + predictable.
Soap: Colonel Conk Bayrum, nice milder scent (Ver#1) excellent lather qualities.
Brush: Yaqi 24mm timber wolf, excellent lather generator, cloud like soft tips, nice scrubber + great lather painter.
Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of Clear Aloe Vera gel on the cleaned beard area.
Prep: cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave: Ogallala Bayrum with sandal wood + a dollop of Nivea balm + 2 drops of HA.
Results: 10/10 or CCS,DFS,BBs + no irritation + 1 blemish weeper=:a17:excellent shave with my Gem Damaskeene 1912 oc with a Gem coated blade.

Brush collage July 26th 2021.jpg

Have some great shaves!

If I'm not mistaken, @Dovo1695 does it and recommends it. Anyway, this soap is special and as elegant as it gets: understated elegance.

Yup. I'm a big fan of hand lathered Mogno. I like uber-hydrating the lather to the point of nearly dripping. With Mogno, I find it's not even necessary to add new soap from the bar between passes; I just add extra water to my left hand and lather up. I've done as many as 8 passes with Mogno with this method without adding new soap from the bar, and Mogno stays slick and protective. It's an odd way of lathering, but it's what I've come to prefer. YMMV. :)

Lupo.95,Nacet(3),Stirling boat drinks,Simpsons Chubby1 super,Thayers,Prorasso aftershave,Nivea sensitive,Prorasso green pre/post.Superb shave with the Lupo.95 no cuts,weepers or irritation just another easy BBS.I really can't fault this razor it's getting hard to pick up anything else.It's got to be another 10/10 Take care happy shaves everyone.
20210726_150553[1].jpg

Yup. I'm a big fan of hand lathered Mogno. I like uber-hydrating the lather to the point of nearly dripping. With Mogno, I find it's not even necessary to add new soap from the bar between passes; I just add extra water to my left hand and lather up. I've done as many as 8 passes with Mogno with this method without adding new soap from the bar, and Mogno stays slick and protective. It's an odd way of lathering, but it's what I've come to prefer. YMMV. :)
I'd been bowl lathering for the better part of the past 2 weeks. And the bowl lets you experiment with water. My biggest conclusion was that "you can always add more water". Or, to put it differently, it's easy to err on the side of having under-hydrated lather.

Monday morning shave- three-pass, plus clean up, rating = 9/10, no nicks, no weepers, no irritation, and overall- DFS. I used the OneBlade Hybrid with a Gem SS PTFE again blade today, like @OhioBob after de-splining, but I also clipped the top corners of the blade. Again, a very mild shave. My brief dalliance with the OneBlade Hybrid is coming to a close. I can get a fine shave with the razor, but not as nice a shave as I get from the Occam's razor or the Feather SR, using a Feather Pro AC blade:

Pre-shave: hot shower followed by a cool rinse
Razor: OneBlade Hybrid- sixth use- easy shaver and quite mild
Blade: Gem SS PTFE modified (2) the shave feels a little too soft for me
Brush: Shavemac Beagle bulb- a good brush that's breaking in slowly but nicely; super dense knot on these
Soap: MdC Fougere- made the same consistent good lather as always
Post-shave: cold rinse, then Proraso Green AS lotion; with the extra pass and clean up I figured my face could use a non-alcoholic balm today; maybe some WH later

Hope you have a wonderful week!
PXL_20210726_155423597.jpg

Full comfort mode today: cold water, super soft brush, mild razor and blade, no alcohol, no ATG on goatee area = ahhhhh!

tempImageoYqFIN.jpg

I even did a cold towel over some Haverford pre-shave lather to really chill out.

Brush: PAA Green Ray
Lather: Haverford
Blade: Wilkinson Sword (3 and done)
Razor: Parker 26c
Balm: Stirling Waves of Grain -- five uses of this sample and there's still some left

The 26c has a 97mm handle, which is the longest in my collection. (2nd place goes to the Vector at 91mm). I am starting to appreciate a longer handle for the versatility and balance they offer during the shave. Short handles get the nod for aesthetics, though, IMO.

This might be the first shave in almost 300 shaves that I didn't use an alcohol-based splash, and it was ... different. I missed the jolt, but on the other hand, this was just so soothing. Further experimentation is needed for scientific purposes.

20200719_081955.jpg

Razor: Gem Micromatic Open Comb Gold Bumpless
Blade: Personna GEM PTFE Stainless Steel Blade
Brush: Rick Montalvo Grade A Silvertip Badger
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Razorock Mudder Focker
Aftershave: Aqua Velva Classic Ice Blue
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Imperial Leather Talcum Powder
Rating Ten. :pipe:

Top Bottom