What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

Razor: Edwin Jagger 3ONE6 SS, Knurled
Blade: Feather 🪶(4)
Brush: Frank Shaving Silvertip, Chrome, 22mm
Bowl: Timeless Razor

Lather: Proraso Green Shaving Cream

Alum Block ,
Dickinson's Enhanced Witch Hazel ,
Proraso Green After Shave Splash ,
Proraso Green After Shave Balm

Not a good shave today. I usually use the Merkur 34C/G for Sunday. Should have stuck to that. No nicks, two weepers, razor burn on one patch of the neck and on the chin. I know I can normally get about six good shaves from a Feather and the razor is a good razor. I need to find a scapegoat somewhere.

Have a great day everyone [emoji106]

proxy.php
proxy.php

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

Shave 1.jpg

Pre
Face wash with Neutrogena Liquid Facial Soap
Soap/Cream
Haslinger Coconut, Tallow Formula
Brush
Simpson Chubby 2 in Best
Bowl
Captain’s Choice Copper
Razor
Mergress XL
Blade
Lord SC
Aftershave
Thayers WH & L’Occitane ASB
Fragrance
TOBS Sandalwood
Rating
10/10
Comments
A third rainy day in AZ.
Back to the Mergress Lord combo. Today’s brush is the Simpson Chubby 2 – one fine brush. Makes excellent lather and feels great on my face. Some may think it is too large – but for me it’s great. A nice four-pass shave on my face and two on my head. A perfect BBS shave. Have a good day, gents.

View attachment 1298578

SOTD

Timeless titanium 0.68 scalloped razor
Feather blade (3)
Barrister and mann terror set
Dogwood handcrafts synthetic brush
Captains choice copper shaving bowl

My mind wandered towards the Timeless for today's shave. I'm hankering for the 0.95 baseplate but I'm going to get it at the same time as their new handle.

Such a hot day, terror was required. Just got back from 3 hours in the local park with my 4 year old daughter. Has a big paddling pool there which she loves. Managed to settle her in front of the TV.

Quickly upstairs for a shave. Been desperate to get a shave.

1st 2 passes superb. Then my daughter came up and started playing with the water in the sink and I got distracted. Oh well. Face feeling so much better.

9/10 due to distraction.
A great day with your daughter and 2 great passes!?!?
Sounds like the perfect shave to me.

DACD6E25-D8C9-48ED-A9DF-13D3254D6E3E.jpeg

Razor: GEM Micromatic Open Comb
Blade GEM PTFE (6)
Soap: Stirling Orange Chill
Brush Stirling Finest Badger 24mm Fan
Aftershave: Stirling Orange Chill

Good morning! A very nice Sunday morning shave. Second use of the Stirling badger, and it was even softer today. It quickly made a very nice lather, though still had a little trouble getting it to leave the lather on my face. But better than yesterday. I dried it outside yesterday so it would be ready to go for day two. I think I’m going to like this brush.

First use of the MMOC. Definitely my most comfortable GEM shave yet. Not sure if it’s the razor, the blade smoothing out, or me getting better at using this style razor, but regardless, I’ll take it. DFS+
Finished with Orange Chill AS

9.5/10

Razor: Wolfman WR2 1.05 OC/1.15 SB
Blade: Personna Red (2)/(5)
Pre-shave: none
Brush: 15 year old 'art of shaving' synthetic
Soap: A&E Chasing the Dragon
Aftershave: Sebum Gold balm

8.5/10

Today's shave was just reducing some stubble. The OC was ok, but nothing special. I switched to the 1.15 and blew through it and got an extremely close and comfortable shave. It was the second time using the blade on the OC side, 5th for the SB. I wish both sides were 1.15, and I wonder how a 1.25 would go - or even looking for a WR1 head.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Sunday Schick shave, July25th 2021

Razor: Schick i2 injector with hydro magic, Mfg 1954-57, excellent tame mid range, very nice razor to manipulate all areas of the face. Small foot print around the nose or high lining a beard.
Blade: Personna SS PTFE(9) excellent blade, very sharp, great longevity, smooths out nicely, predictable IMO.
Soap: Colonel Conk Bayrum, nice mild scent with excellent lather qualities>good slickness IMO.
Brush: Yaqi Tuxedo knot 24mm synthetic :001_wub: , one of my favorites, excellent lather generator, cloud like soft tips, great scrubber and excellent lather painter. Hard to beat and got me interested in Yaqi this brush did.
Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on the cleaned beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave: witch hazel + Ogallala bayrum with Sandalwood + a dollop of Nivea balm + 2 drops of HA.
Results: 9/10 or CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers=:a17:excellent shave with my Schick i2 injector with hydro magic with a Personna coated blade.

Brush collage July 25th 2021.jpg

Have some great shaves!

I still wonder how well Arko treats me. Several previous journal entries note that I tend to have discomfort on shaves with it.
My first stick of Arko, which I would only use when on the road, lasted a few years and worked well. My second stick I kicked to the curb after noticing very little cushioning or slickness, even though the lather looked great. I replaced it with Palmolive shave stick, which has worked great for irritation-free shaves for me.

Razor: Wilkinson - Pall Mall (7 Day Set) 1905
Blade: Wilkinson - “Special” Wedge Blade (Sunday)
Brush: Semogue 1305
Pre-Shave: Innisfree - Jeju Volcanic Pore Cleansing Foam
Lather: Stirling - Lime
Aftershave: Taconic - Lavender Lime Splash
34581635-0C8E-42A6-8CD0-4715B442BD0B.jpeg

E1034845-6229-48B2-B394-EC1F4C108BAE.jpeg

Shave Rating: 9.4/10
Getting better, but not there yet
Third shave with the Pall Mall and I’m still on the learning curve. So far I haven’t obtained the kind of shave I experienced with the Wilkinson “Empire“ razor and blade. I’m still not sure if the blades could be honed to a more acute edge, but don’t know how. The last shave showed me that stropping makes a massive difference in the shaving edge. Today I gave it a vigorous 10 per side stropping. I’m always leery about over stropping and rounding my edge.
The razor seemed to be removing whiskers well enough, but was really struggling on my chin and under my nose, especially against the grain. I was overworking those areas without great results so…stop…remove the blade and strop it some more. This time I just stropped the heck out of it without even keeping count.
Back to the shave. Much better. The razor took my nose and chin down to the smoothness I was expecting. The rest of the shave went well. No nicks or cuts, but a little tenderness where I was over working before the re-strop.
I’ll get this Pall Mall razor set figured out if it kills me.

View attachment 1301800
Pre
Face wash with Neutrogena Liquid Facial Soap
Soap/Cream
Haslinger Coconut, Tallow Formula
Brush
Simpson Chubby 2 in Best
Bowl
Captain’s Choice Copper
Razor
Mergress XL
Blade
Lord SC
Aftershave
Thayers WH & L’Occitane ASB
Fragrance
TOBS Sandalwood
Rating
10/10
Comments
A third rainy day in AZ.
Back to the Mergress Lord combo. Today’s brush is the Simpson Chubby 2 – one fine brush. Makes excellent lather and feels great on my face. Some may think it is too large – but for me it’s great. A nice four-pass shave on my face and two on my head. A perfect BBS shave. Have a good day, gents.
IMO big brushes are good!!!

Despite my close shave on Saturday with my Fatip, I decided I had enough bristles for a 24-hour shave:

Gillette postwar fat-handled Tech in yellow gold/Personna Red blade (2)

Palmolive classic cream

AP Shave Co. synthetic brush

Proraso Green AS, Assured lotion, Clubman powder

Cool water again today. Pass 1, WTG; pass 2, throat only, ATG and a little bit of XTG while I stretched the skin. Quite smooth with the grain, a little roughness ATG, but nobody is inspecting me.

Verdict: 9.5.

Pre Shave: Warm Shower, Stirling Unscented Pre Shave Soap
Razor: Colonial General SS V2
Blade: Kai Protouch MG
Soap: Stirling Varen
Bowl: Black Stirling Collapsible bowl
Brush: WCS Beacon Silvertip Badger
Post Shave: Cold Water Rinse, Thayers Unscented Witch Hazel, Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm, Proraso Red AS
Rating: 10/10 Excellent 3 pass BBS shave. No weepers, cuts or irritation. Thought the General had been neglected lately. Nice easy carefree shave.

Back home safe late last night.
Razor: Barbasol Floating Head
Blade: Voshkod (1)
Brush: Paladin 2xl 28mm Strawberry Amber
Soap: PAA CaD CK6
Lather: Face
Aftershave: Mennen Skin Bracer

The Shave: “Sunday Bloody Sunday”
First shave with the Barbasol Floating Head and I definitely like it. I found it efficient, smooth, and seemed to work pretty well with different angles.
I cut my finger opening the Voshkod and bled like a stuck pig.
The Paladin 2xl and CaD work effortlessly together to make incredible lather.
No weepers, cuts (except finger), or irritation. I still need to get to know the Floating Head, but it is a cool razor, in great shape, and the first shave was excellent. 9.25/10…great first shave.
06CC86C9-1A4A-439B-A9E2-55B347255DFD.jpeg
493EF629-7BA3-406F-9D8F-E3A128D32E26.jpeg
8FD282DD-4868-475D-97AB-A52B0A8AFBDA.jpeg
0DF4B8D5-B72F-42C0-9929-22FD4BFBA284.jpeg
311FA62C-BAF9-43DD-AA64-D4302AC13707.jpeg

PSX_20210724_154819.jpg

Razor: Schick E3 Canadian model
Blade: Schick Injector
Brush: Simpson Duke 3 Synthetic
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Caswell-Massey Newport
Aftershave: Proraso Green Splash
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Imperial Leather Talcum Powder
Rating Ten.
The handle on this razor has particularly nice figuring in the bakelite.
PSX_20210724_155202.jpg

20210725_173812.jpg

SOTD

Raw RS-10 with mild plate
Gillette rubie blade (1)
Zingari man coconut nanas set
Alpha evergoose synthetic brush
Captains choice copper shaving bowl

Rubie in the RS-10 was pretty special today. First use of the vegan based soap from zingari man. Scent wise I'm disappointed as the mild scent you get from the puck doesn't get stronger after lathering. Performance wise though it was superb with lots of slickness. Post shave 2 weepers and minimal irritation. 3 pass bbs.

9/10. Superb shave, just wish there was more of a scent to the occasion.

Interesting and nice SE Sunday morning shave- three-pass, plus a bit of clean up, rating = 9++/10, no nicks, no weepers, no irritation, and overall a DFS+. I used the OneBlade Hybrid with a Gem SS PTFE blade today, after de-splining and clipping the top corners of the blade off. What a mild shave, milder than a Gem Contour, felt on par with a Feather Popular shave. I had to check to make sure the blade was staying in place, it did:

Pre-shave: hot shower followed by a cool rinse; it's hot here today
Razor: OneBlade Hybrid- fifth use- seemed super easy and mild today with the blade change. I had to add an extra pass to get the shave up to snuff
Blade: Gem SS PTFE modified (1) the shave felt "soft" and gentle compared to the Feather FHS shaves
Brush: Simpson Duke 2 in Best badger- a really fine face-lathering brush; it's broken in beautifully and what little scratch it had is gone, leaving just some good body and soft tips
Soap: La Toja stick- made a fine, slick lather
Post-shave: cold rinse, then an healthy splash of La Toja AS lotion; I'm becoming pretty fond of this stuff- pleasant scent, very nice, fresh face feel when it dries; the low-cost is a plus

Hope you're having or had a wonderful Sunday!

PXL_20210725_163419020.jpg

Top Bottom