What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

Tue 22 SOTD with PIF Soap & Brush [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106] Thanks to @SgtCrppls
Soap Saponificio Varesino Opuntia
Brush Zenith 28mm B14 Boar
Razor RazoRock GC.84-P
Blade Tiger Platinum 1st
Post & Aftershaves Ice Water + Stirling Witchhazel MitA + Hyaluronic + TGS Abysso
A very nice & classy scent from the soap. The lather was slick but kinda thin on subsequent passes perhaps due to my inexperience with the brush...which is surprisingly soft and satisfying for face lathering! Not so sharply scritchy though, more muted which is enjoyable!
Shave with razor paired with the long-ignored but nice blade was very smooth and comfortable in 3passes for a mostly bbs finish. Aftershaves were excellent and kinda match the soap! Rating 10/10!
View attachment 1285326
I've been window shopping Zenith brushes lately. I don't have one. I'm favorably impressed by their descriptions (I'm mainly looking at boars) and the reviews I've seen. A 28mm like you used or a 26mm will probably be my choice.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

Today I used a old favorite razor I havnt used in awile. My EJ 89. I forgot what a comfortable shave I get with it. Used it with a big Ben blade (not my favorite but any blade works fine with my 89). Taconic Eucalyptus mint shave soap and finished with tuff herb after shave.Another great shave.Gonna keep that EJ 89 in my sight again. If you haven't used the 89 I suggest you try it.[emoji108]
I think the EJ89 is one of the best. A bit more efficient than the Merkur 34C but still not overly aggressive.

6A7F2E8D-D4B7-4F88-B98D-EA9255F09AF0.jpeg

Razor: RazoRock Lupo 72
Blade: Nacet (2)
Soap: Stirling Electric Sheep
Brush: PAA Phantom Aerolite
Aftershave: Stirling Electric Sheep

Good morning! Stellar shave today. Face lathered Electric Sheep plus a drop of tea tree oil with the PAA brush. I nearly always get a good lather with Stirling, but today was especially perfect. I didn’t use as much tea tree as yesterday as I didn’t want it to overwhelm the scent of the soap. I could still feel a mild tingling, so still probably enough for it to do its job. - Did Stirling used to make a tea tree soap? I swear I’ve seen it on here, but not on their site.
Coming up on three weeks that I’ve had my Lupo, and I continue to be impressed. Excellent combination of smoothness and efficiency, and easily maneuverable. 2 pass BBS

10/10

Razor: GEM Micromatic Open Comb (MMOC)
Blade: GEM PTFE
Brush: PAA Amber Aerolite
Soap: Martin de Candre Rose
Lather: Face
Aftershave: Mennen Skin Bracer

The Shave: WTG/ATG for a DFS shave. My Amber Aerolite has relaxed/opened up a little and is now a joy to use. It makes an easy, rich, creamy, shiny, and slick lather.
MMOC crushing whiskers since the 1930s and doesn’t miss a beat. Finished with Skin Bracer just like my Dad always did, smells great, face feels good, and brings back memories of my Dad. 9.75/10 (blade is getting a little rough almost time for a change).
D40F458D-2BC7-48D8-ABEC-F899BD2F4907.jpeg
F28E2A90-E7A4-4DA0-867F-C55FC662D854.jpeg
BB5485ED-2449-4C1F-84BC-9FAC9B6E773C.jpeg
72D24E9A-86B2-4CE3-AFB5-2BFB328CF4A3.jpeg

A surprisingly good shave on a 48-hour beard:

Gillette NEW Short Comb/Personna Lab Blue blade (2)

La Toja stick soap

AP Shave Co. synthetic tuxedo brush

Proraso Green aftershave, Clubman powder

Woke up early, so I decided to shave before my workout instead of after. A quick face and throat wash with the La Toja, then I loaded my face and lathered up. Pass 1, WTG, skin stretching on the cheeks; pass 2, throat only with skin stretching, ATG; pass 3, throat, XTG with skin stretching. (As you can tell, I've really gotten on board with the straight razor shave-style stretching methods.) Then came the Proraso. I love the cooling and the scent, but it leaves my skin sticky until I pile on the powder. For a while I thought it might be the Proraso interacting with my skin lotion, or the lotion itself (the Assured stuff from Dollar Tree), but since I skipped that today, it can't be that. A near BBS shave, anyway.

Verdict: 9.6.

La Toja stick soap

Woke up early, so I decided to shave before my workout instead of after. A quick face and throat wash with the La Toja, then I loaded my face and lathered up. Pass 1, WTG, skin stretching on the cheeks; pass 2, throat only with skin stretching, ATG; pass 3, throat, XTG with skin stretching. (As you can tell, I've really gotten on board with the straight razor shave-style stretching methods.) Then came the Proraso. I love the cooling and the scent, but it leaves my skin sticky until I pile on the powder. For a while I thought it might be the Proraso interacting with my skin lotion, or the lotion itself (the Assured stuff from Dollar Tree), but since I skipped that today, it can't be that. A near BBS shave, anyway.

My experience is that Proraso green stays a little sticky for about an hour. My guess is it has glycerin in it, but I haven’t checked the ingredients.

Shave 1.jpg

Pre
Face wash with Neutrogena Liquid Facial Soap
Soap/Cream
GFT Sandalwood Cream
Brush
Paladin PK 47
Bowl
Captain’s Choice Copper
Razor
Timeless SB .68
Blade
Personna Medical Prep
Aftershave
Thayers WH & PAA Mysterium Serum
Fragrance
TOBS Sandalwood
Rating
10/10.
Comments
Fourth shave with the Timeless and Med Prep combo. This razor continues to impress me. It gives me the smoothest shaves of any of my razors. Whipped up some great lather with the PK 47. Another excellent shave.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
ASRazor shave, Tue, June 22nd 2021

Razor: Star bar #4 lather catcher(Kampfe brothers, Brooklyn NY)- Mfg 1919-20, excellent daily driver, Tame mid range, one of the best razors I own and enjoy going back in time during the roaring 1920's.
Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE (5) very sharp, great longevity, smooths out nicely and very predictable.
Soap: Razorock blue barber, nice scent and excellent lather qualities.(great using a newer Generation synthetic brush IMO)
Brush: Chinese 21mm synthetic, OK lather generator, soft tips, great scrub + OK lather painter. First synthetic brush I owned 4 years ago and the newer generation synthetics have come a long way. Great inexpensive travel brush, mainly what I used it for.
Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on the cleaned beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Results: 9.5/10 or CCS,DFS,BBS, no irritation + no weepers = :a17:excellent shave with my Star bar #4 lather catcher with a coated Gem blade.

ASR shave, Tue, June 22nd 2021.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Pre Shave: Warm Shower, Stirling Unscented Pre Shave Soap
Razor: Timeless Ti .68SB
Blade: Gillette Platinum
Soap: Zingariman The Nomad
Bowl: Blue Timeless Shave Bowl
Brush: Simpson's Commodore X3 Best Badger
Post Shave: Cold Water Rinse, Thayers Unscented Witch Hazel, Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm, Polo Double Black EDT
Rating: 10/10 Excellent 2 1/2 pass BBS shave. No weepers, cuts or irritation.

I've been window shopping Zenith brushes lately. I don't have one. I'm favorably impressed by their descriptions (I'm mainly looking at boars) and the reviews I've seen. A 28mm like you used or a 26mm will probably be my choice.

Thanks...it's my first large full boar...never consider it before but after 1 use, I'm hooked...hahaha! Feels like massaging my face..

Razor: GEM 1912, chrome (nickel?) plated with the hexagonal(?) handle; circa 1928?
Blade: GEM by Personna SS PTFE (5 and 6)
Brush: Simpson Commodore X2 Best Badger
Soap: Proraso Green
Rating: 9.8 and 9.5

Saturday's and today's good GEM shaves on two and three days of growth, respectively. Apparent BBS after WTG/XTG/ATG passes, but stubble was felt by early afternoon both days, which is unusual for a GEM 1912 shave - I will flip the blade before my next shave to see if that improves the closeness. No nicks, burning or irritation with the Proraso soap on Saturday, but I nicked myself noticeably on the side of the Adam's apple today.

Brush: Rooney Heritage 1/1 in Super
Soap: Henri et Victoria Cognac and Cuban Cigars
Razor: Muhle R41
Blade: Derby Extra
AS: Henri et Victoria Cognac and Cuban Cigars
Rating: 10/10

Some of my personal best performers combining for a fantastic shave. Cognic and Cuban Cigars one of the best tobacco scents available right now, IMO. Love the efficiency of the R41. Just a great 2-pass shave!

16243831279784936465487481312907.jpg

Tuesday's Feather DX AC shave, two-pass plus clean-up shave, 10/10, BBS, sweet, smooth, comfortable, and close- a great way to start the day:

Pre-shave: morning swim, then a cool shower
Razor: Feather DX AC-
Blade: Schick Proline P-30 blade (1) fresh blade today
Brush: Simpson Chubby1 Best- lot's of love for this brush as a face latherer
Soap: MWF- used my resuscitated puck after its two-day soak and was rewarded with an amazing lather and shave. Since the puck had soaked, I started with an almost dry brush and only added a little water as I built the lather, the puck held plenty of water
Post-shave: cool rinse, Sanborn Roble y Agave Colonia- a nice hot weather option, not much, if any, skin conditioning with this splash, but with MWF none is needed

Hoping your next shave is great!
PXL_20210622_172345672.jpg

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
shave 20210622_100628_2.jpg

Razor: Scheermes Roedter 1909 Titan
Blade: Bolzano (2)
Brush: Omega EVO
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: Martin de Candre Nature
Aftershave: Nivea Post Shave Balm + InstaSkincare Hyaluronic Acid
Fragrance: Pino Silvestre Oud Absolute EdT Spray

Results: Smooth and free of irritation but with two minor weepers that resolved with a cold water rinse.

Good shave. :cool:

La Toja stick soap

I use an alum block to make my thumbs and next two fingers tacky on my hands before each pass to help me stretch the skin better.

Top Bottom