What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

Rating: 10/10
Pre-Shave: Cold water splash - Cremo Shave Cream Bourbon Vanilla (Brushless - applied by hand.)
Soap: Wet the Face Modern Barbershop
Brush: Captain's Choice Tuxedo synthetic
Razor: RazoRock Lupo SS SB .72
Blade: Muhle Ice Tempered Stainless Steel (1)
Post-Shave: Cold water splash - Stirling Black Ice/Black Licorice-scented Witch Hazel - Lucky Tiger aftershave tonic
AS: Stirling Barbershop splash

This ended up being one of those 11 on a scale of 1-10 shaves. I was dissatisfied with yesterday's shave with the Merkur blade. My neck was already feeling like it needed a going over due to that blade's inability to provide a close shave. The Muhle blade however was a completely different story. This was my first use with the Muhle and I like it very much...DFS/BBS with no injuries or blood. Tried another new soap, Wet the Face Modern Barbershop out of Long Island, NY. I've watched this gentleman's videos and liked his take on a number of products...one of those being the Pinaud Clubman Classic Barber Shave cream which I used for quite a while as a pre-shave. So...the scent on this Modern Barbershop is really dead on to my nose, a very nice classic barbershop scent. I like the scent on this soap better than I like the scent on the Stirling splash, but they're a good match up for sure. I also purchased his Salty Sea Air soap which I will get around to. This soap was extremely easy to lather and it whipped up into a creamy dessert topping consistency in no time at all. It painted on perfectly and provided plenty of slick protection throughout the entire shave. I'll have to revisit his site and see what other scents catch my eye. I believe he also has aftershave splashes and this Modern Barbershop scent is a splash I would defintely consider. All in all, a fantastic shave experience.

Happy Shaves, Everyone.

View attachment 1280110
You're not alone in your sentiments about Merkur blades. Many people find them wanting. Rockwell is another company known for its good razors (I used one this morning.) but their blades are mediocre at best for most people.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
You're not alone in your sentiments about Merkur blades. Many people find them wanting. Rockwell is another company known for its good razors (I used one this morning.) but their blades are mediocre at best for most people.

Next up will be the VanDerHagen blades. Muhle worked great this morning. Will see what VanDerHagen brings to the table.

Razor: Ever-Ready 1912
Blade: Gem PTFE
Brush: PAA Amber Aerolite
Cream: Mogno
Lather: Bowl (more below)
Aftershave: Aqua Velva Ice Blue

The Shave: The Amber Aerolite whipped up a great lather with the Mogno in my “liberated cereal bowl”. I asked my wife and apparently we snagged this bowl at the 100 Yen store in 2002. That’s like the Japanese version of the dollar store. This bow works fantastic for lather building. The Mogno lather was like silk today, slick, and awesome. (I need to use it more often.)
WTG/ATG and XTG on goatee for BBS. The Ever-Ready 1912 is a smooth shaver that makes it easy to get good shaves. 10/10
C7EFCC6F-58C0-49DC-8698-991F36605D08.jpeg
64F0F570-1385-4A12-BB22-0F7FFEE5E629.jpeg
27AD2F5B-39DC-4111-9BCB-270211999EEA.jpeg
3998C4D1-8B49-4510-8FB5-68DDCACC232C.jpeg
75FC8CCE-3A08-4837-9B60-0B32DD78C8CE.jpeg
D485BC5B-C94C-4AF5-AA3D-868764F01588.jpeg
1EF11F2D-7C66-4066-B48B-EE286F718B26.jpeg

Pre-Shave: Quick shower and few minutes in sauna
Soap: Kuninghabe Stronghold
Brush: Kuninghabe synthetic (I believe it is rebranded EJ Black Fibre)
Razor: Kuninghabe DE89 clone
Blade: Astra SS (3)
Post Shave: Edwin Jagger Sandalwood
Bowl: Repurposed onionchopper stolen from kitchen
Rating: 10

Newbie here, greetings from Finland!
I have been wetshaving for 7 months, learning to use my new equipment and always tried to shave without irritation. Mostly got DFS.
Todays shave was my very first true BBS. No nicks or irritation. This new feeling is Fantastic.
Welcome JKar, great to see you here. I have a Black Fiber Muhle. You might be right.
proxy.php

Soap: Stirling Por Au Prince
Razor: Le Grelot 6/8
Strop: Tony Miller Steerhide
Brush: Trafalgar T2
Aftershave: Witch Hazel / Osage Rub

Scent of this soap is growing on me. I like the scent strength as I can still smell it a little bit, which is nice.

Just did a 2 passer this morning as I wasn't in a rush, but needed to get going at the same time. Would have preferred a 3rd pass just to keep the shave going haha.

10/10

Thursday and Friday- good quick one-pass shaves 9/10, no mishaps; easy, we packed up this little house and put it on the market, leaving New Jersey this morning to drive my mother-in-law back home to Florida:
Razor: Occam's razor- two-dot head- razor just keep delivering great shaves
Blade: Schick Proline P-30 (3&4)- blade was great; the blades from this dispenser fit the Occam's fine without clipping the end
Brush: Shavemac small 20 mm pure badger- I've gotten used to this little brush as a travel brush, glad I picked it up
Soap: Seaforth! Heather (Friday) and Canada Shave Soap (Thursday)- the Seaforth! is nice, the Canada is still amazing me; great lather, there's no water softener here, great protection, and great residual slickness- just no scent, otherwise I think perhaps the ideal shave soap.
Post-shave: icy cold rinse, then a healthy splash of Seaforth! Heather AS splash Friday and Epsilon Amber AS splash Thursday, both are nice selections. I'll have to do a side-by-side with Floid and Epsilon eventually.

Will post again when settled in Florida;

Stay well and have some great shaves!

No pic today, packing last minute stuff.
Best wishes for your journey and for a better tomorrow in Florida...

My mistake. You wrote Edwin Jagger Black Fiber. Still, it's similar.

No, you were right.
I double checked from sellers website and Muhle Liscio BlackFibre is identical to my brush. EJ is somewhat darker color. I always assumed it to be Edwin Jagger.

Today's shave 2 days of growth

Razorock Lupo SS 95
Polsilver SI (1)
Simpson Trafalgar T3
B&M reserve lavender
Fine accoutrements lavender pour homme
AOS Lavender aftershave balm
9.5/10 👍

Note: first shave with the lupo 0.95 base surprisingly it felt smoother and more efficient then the 0.72 View attachment 1280002
I'm glad you said that.I thought it was me going mad but i find the .95 lupo smoother than the .72 and the gamechanger .84 which was my favorite razor of all time.Maybe i'm terrified so more careful lol i don't know but the 95 is just working for me as good as i've ever had.Take care happy shaves.

King Kamehameha Day Shave
00628.Kamehameha Statue.jpg

Razor: Schick L2 Stick Schick
Blade: Personna Injector
Brush: Rudy Vey Badger & Blade 2020 Group Buy #4/30
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Shannon's Soaps Botanica
Aftershave: Pinaud Lilac Vegetal
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Imperial Leather Talcum Powder
Rating Ten.
20210610_082823.jpg

Preshave: A hot shower
Soap: TOBS Cedarwood
Brush: Je & Co Badger
Razor: RR Mamba 70
Blade: 7 O'clock Black (4)
After: Old Spice Aftershave
Rating 9.5/10

I've been using the Mamba 70 for around 6 days, I've never given it much of a chance, but, now with a little time invested in using it, I'm getting good shaves with it, with a steep angle. . It's a razor that's kinda light on feedback, (for me), but, it is actually doing it's job well, it's very smooth, light blade feel, and picky about angles, but, once you the angle down, it's a good razor. The Je & Co brush is new, (third shave with it), and it's a very good brush, and going to get better, I'm sure.

IMG_1196.JPG

King Kamehameha Day Shave
View attachment 1280261
Razor: Schick L2 Stick Schick
Blade: Personna Injector
Brush: Rudy Vey Badger & Blade 2020 Group Buy #4/30
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Shannon's Soaps Botanica
Aftershave: Pinaud Lilac Vegetal
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Imperial Leather Talcum Powder
Rating Ten.
View attachment 1280262
King Kamehameha looks clean shaven.

Today's shave

Preshave: From Slock’s mad scientist lab Slock’s universal, certified soon to be internationally famous proprietary shaving oil blend.
Razor: Gillete slim (6)
Blade: Personna "Lab Blue"

Soap: Uncle Jon’s Cucumber Melon
Brush: PAA Peregrino
Balm Stirling unscented balm
Aftershave: Stirling Haverford.

DFS My wife said I smell expensive.

Welcome @JKar!

Loved the new sample today: Stirling Iced Pineapple (nice container courtesy of recently defunct Proraso White preshave)

tempImage4ZnIP2.jpg

Brush: Yaqi 26mm -- I think this brush suffers from too short of a loft, making it feel chunky and unwilling to splay
Lather: Stirling Iced Pineapple -- lovely, simply scent and perfect level of mentholation
Blade: Kai Titan Mild (5) -- going strong
Razor: Blackland Vector SB -- took it easier around the corners of the mouth today after yesterday's problems
Splash: Stirling Lemon Chill -- I really embraced the cold today
Balm: Nivea Cooling -- felt warming by comparison

I just keep dialing in my method with this razor day by day. The passes are becoming more consistent, although I make little adjustments here and there. Results were normal: DFS on the whole "goatee" area, BBS elsewhere. Absolutely no blood.

If shaving gets much better than this, that's great; if it doesn't, that's cool too! Rating: 9.7/10.

Top Bottom