What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

09 June 2021
20210609_055651.jpg

Prep:
Old Spice Bar Soap
Razor:
Van der Hagen--Germany
Cream:
Old Spic Musk-–India till used up using rain water
Brush:
Gray Dog--Ohio
Blade:
Van der Hagen--Shave #5 Germany (hint of dulling)
Passes:
WTG / ATG / light buffing, as required
Cleanup:
Rinsed and dried face, Witch Hazel, and then Alum.
Aftershave:
Old Spice – Canada?

Summary
Rating
:
Quality:
Results:

BBS
Absolutely perfect shave this morning with no nicks or weepers, and only a token amount of stubble. This morning I let the face wash soap lather soak in for several minutes before rinsing it off. OOPS!, yesterday’s post had the wrong date.

Shave 1.jpg

Pre
Face wash with Neutrogena Liquid Facial Soap
Soap/Cream
Captain’s Choice Sandalwood Shaving Cream
Brush
Paladin Lotus
Bowl
Captain’s Choice Copper
Razor
Wolfman WR2 SB 1.05
Blade
Personna Med Prep
Aftershave
Thayers WH & PAA Mysterium Serum
Fragrance
Jimmy Choo Man Intense
Rating
10/10.
Comments
Back to my soap and cream rotation. Today the Paladin Lotus did a great job in making lather. The Wolfman and Med Prep is turning out to be a wonderful combo. Add the PAA Mysterium Serum to the mix and I had a great shave. Only superlatives today!!

Razor: GEM Micromatic Open Comb (MMOC #2)
Blade: GEM PTFE
Brush: Semogue Butterscotch SOC Boar
Soap: RazoRock Gold Label
Lather: Face
Aftershave: Captain’s Choice Italia

The Shave: 2 WTG and ATG/XTG combo for a BBS. The Gold Label and Italia make a great combo and swept me away to a Spring day in Italy...Bellissimo and Favoloso!! The MMOC was rock solid as usual: whiskers weep at the sight of the MMOC! (Which actually helps with beard prep, so I’ve got that going for me, which is nice!) BBS, no irritation, no AS sting, no weepers or reds spots = 10/10.
BCBD8353-22C2-430E-BF8B-0A317E715A1E.jpeg
2F675F4C-DB1C-4BD4-BC23-A666B19F2478.jpeg
9065C6CF-08BF-4F35-A1AC-E42EA02B830A.jpeg
B598CCCD-60E9-409C-A4A1-B4A07CCEA6FB.jpeg

5C6F802B-8030-4053-8350-7328E21D861B.jpeg

Razor: RR Lupo .72
Blade: Gillette Rubie (4)
Soap: Stirling Spice
Brush: PAA Phantom Aerolite
Aftershave: Old Spice

Good morning! Another great shave today with the Lupo / Rubie combo. The Rubie is one of my favorite blades, and seems to really work well for me in this razor. The Phantom Aerolite finally completed its 10 day journey from Arizona and arrived yesterday, and to celebrate, I decided to bowl lather rather than my usual face lathering. I probably made enough lather for 6 passes. In any case, I had a comfortable, easy 2 pass shave, with great results. BBS

9.5/10

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
DE SOTD, Wed, June 9th 2021

Razor: Razorock 2nd Gen Lupo.72- Mfg 2021> excellent mid range, well built with great design, 316 Stainless steel construction, easy to load and unload blades. I receive usually excellent results, might be a good daily driver for some folks.
Blade: Gillette Wilkinson sword salon (1) excellent blade sharp & smooth with reasonable longevity. Low cost blade from what I recall.
Soap: Speick, nice spicy scent with excellent lather qualities + triple milled.
Brush: Yaqi Chianti's 24mm synthetic, Excellent lather generator, heavenly cloud like soft tips, gentle scrub + excellent lather painter.
Pre shave: Brush wash face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on the cleaned beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave: Razorock King Louis Lavender with witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm.
Results: 9.5/10 or CCS,DFS,BBs + no irritation + no weepers = :a17:excellent shave with my RR Lupo 72+ Gillette Wilkinson sword blade.
DE SOTD, Wed, June 9th 2021.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Wednesday in New Jersey, 89% humidity here; I'm sweating, 9++/10, no mishaps; a lovely shave:
Razor: Occam's razor- two-dot head- razor is just perfect for traveling, great shaves minimal effort;
Blade: Schick Proline P-30 (2)- sweet and smooth
Brush: Shavemac small pure badger- officially my travel brush as my other brushes were shipped back west yesterday
Soap: Seaforth! Heather- nice soap; really fine scent- this and Canada soap were my choices to keep on my travels
Post-shave: icy cold rinse, then a healthy splash of Seaforth! Heather alcohol splash, nice juice indeed

Be well all and may your next shave always be your best!

Today's picture:
PXL_20210609_135313880.jpg

Soap: Stirling Coconut Lime
Razor: Le Grelot 6/8
Strop: Tony Miller Steerhide
Brush: Simpson Trafalgar T2
Aftershave: Witch Hazel / Osage Rub

I probably have reached (if not I'm very close) to 100 SR shaves, and it's amazing how the shaves still improve over time. This was probably my best SR shave. I don't think it's possible to get a closer shave without going ATG, and getting zero aftershave burn. And Osage Rub lets you know when you're technique was even slightly off. This stuff takes no prisoners.

The SR journey is a long one, and is satisfying every step of the way. A good SR shave really sets the tone for the rest of the day.

10/10

Razor: AutoStrop Valet VC3 (1935-1940?) Gold Wash
Blade: Feather Seikan FAS-10 Carbon (8)
Brush: Henri et Victoria: Karma (synthetic) 25mm
Pre-Shave: Innisfree - Green Tea Foam Cleanser
Lather: Henri et Victoria - Deuce
Aftershave: Henri et Victoria - Deuce (Splash)
E05D3F1E-B5D0-43C8-8344-0142C9D8DC47.jpeg

Shave Rating: 9.9/10
Thanks Carbon…but I have to keep moving on.
Today I had to do some catching up on my free samples that have been building up. I’ve never had anything other than great experiences with Henri et Victoria soaps and aftershaves. For those that don’t like their scents too strong, Deuce is a very mild, gently lemony scent. It sounds weird to say this, but the soap felt really, really soft on my face. Combine that with softness of the H&V synth brush and I could have painted my face for hours. This was the very first synthetic brush I ever purchased, and it’s still one of my very favourites and will always be in my regular rotation.

This Seikan Carbon blade was an unknown quantity, but it has given me eight fine shaves. I somehow thought today it might not pass muster, but it gave me another close smooth shave with no extra fiddling around. Eight is a good number so I’m going to retire the Seikan while I’m ahead and so I can move on to some other untried blades.

Pre-shave (in order of use)
- Jack Black Deep Dive Glycolic Facial Cleanser
- Truefitt and Hill Pre-shave Oil
- Fine Accoutrements L'Orange Noir (Classic base).

Post-shave (in order of use)
- Omega Alum Block
- Stirling Tea Tree, Witch Hazel & Aloe
- The Ordinary Hyaluronic acid
- Hylamide SubQ Skin Serum
- L'Occitane Eau De Cedrat After Shave Cream Gel
- Jack Black Double-Duty Face Moisturiser

Tools
- Muhle Rocca
- Israeli Red (2)
- Zenith 80B Boar

Shave Rating: 8/10
Second shave with the Rocca and another smooth and close shave! A bit of irritation flare up from the previous shave over a couple a spots but other than that no irritation or feedback from the Alum.
It was also my last shave with Accoutrements L'Orange Noir (Classic base) in my current rotation. An excellent shave as usual, luckily I have other Fine soaps comings up in rotation soon!

Last edited:
Partly Cloudy Wednesday Shave:

RR SLOC + WCS 84s handle (George Jetson Edition)
Feather (1)
RR Bruce synth brush
PAA Ice Cube 2 pre-shave soap as stick
Haslinger Schafmilch as stick + Don Marco soap
Dickinson's witch hazel with Pereja Limon Kolonya
Proraso Green Balm

Clean, close shave; DFS+

Operation: "Odds & Ends" continues...

20210406_080701.jpg

Razor: Merkur Progress 500
Blade: Wilkinson Sword Classic (German)
Brush: Simpson Commodore X2 Best Badger
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandalwood
Aftershave: Proraso Green Splash
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Imperial Leather Talcum Powder
Rating Ten. :pipe:

Brush: Mozingo ZT3
Soap: A&E Shaving Butter
Razor: H&S Z074
Blade: Bic Chrome Platinum
Aftershave: Summer Break Cannonball!

(Actually, yesterday's shave). Great great shave. BBS all around -- completely dialed into the razor now and I've found the Bic to be highly compatible. And Cannonball! is so fresh, different, and chilling. Gives about 30 minutes of cooling; perfect on on a hot and humid day. Nor any complaints about the ZT3, which is breaking in well, or the A&E butter. 10/10
2021-06-07 Z0 AE Butter Cannonball Mozin.jpeg

Pre Shave: Warm shower, Stirling Unscented Pre Shave Soap
Soap/Cream: Stirling Electric Sheep
Brush: Semogue TAJ Resin Handle SOC Boar
Blade: Gillette Platinum
Razor: Timeless Ti .68SB
Post Shave: Cold Water Rinse, Thayers Unscented Witch Hazel, Nivea Unscented Post Shave Balm, Proraso Red AS

Excellent 10/10 BBS 2 1/2 pass shave. No weepers, cuts or irritation. First time in ages using a DE razor and results were on par with the SE's I have been using.

Razor: Timeless .68 Titanium Open Comb
Blade: Gillette Perma-Sharp Super (4)
Bowl: Captain’s Choice Copper Lather Bowl (Heavyweight)
Brush: Chisel and Hound “Buffalo Valley” with 26mm V9 Fanchurian
Soap and Aftershave: Barrister and Mann Diamond (Soft Heart)
Rating: 10/10​

Fantastic BBS shave today with no cuts, weepers or irritation. Diamond was an excellent choice for today as it’s raining so having a lazy day watching ball. The Perma-Sharp was my favourite in the EJ DE89 but find it too sharp in the .95, glad it feels great in the .68

E30DF538-CFDB-4260-99F1-B53F1FC89DF7.jpeg

My Wednesday Morning Shave
Prep: Warm shower​
Strop: Tony Miller Premium Steerhide Smooth w/ Linen​
Two pass shave: WTG, ATG/XTG​
Razor: American Knife Co., Plymouth Hollow, Connecticut - circa 1849-1875​
Pre-Shave: Proraso White Cream For Sensitive Skin, Green Tea & Oat​
Brush: Elite Razor Waterfall Bubinga w/ 26mm High Mountain White Fan​
Soap: Murphy & McNeil Nil Scent (Fragrance Free) Shaving Soap​
Facial Toner: Thayers Alcohol-Free Original Witch Hazel Facial Toner with Aloe Vera Formula​
Aftershave: Every Man Jack Fragrance Free Face Lotion and Post-Shave. Menthyl, Chamomile, Shea Butter, Vitamin E​
9.8/10 DFS!

Top Bottom