What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Rating: 10/10
Pre-Shave: Cold water splash - Pinaud Clubman Classic Barber Shave Cream (Brushless - applied by hand.)
Soap: Stirling Island Man
Brush: PAA Phantom Aerolite Timberwolf synthetic
Razor: RazoRock Lupo SS SB .72
Blade: Gillette 7 O'clock Super Platinum (1)
Post-Shave: Cold water splash - Stirling Bay Rum-scented Witch Hazel - Lucky Tiger aftershave tonic
AS: Captain's Choice Island Time

Today's perfect shave to mow down two days of growth is brought to you by...RazoRock Lupo SS SB .72 and Gillette 7 O'clock Super Platinum. DFS/BBS with no blood or injuries. Where is my Pina Colada? Between Stirling Island Man and Captain's Choice Island Time it just seems like I should be holding one. In a word...beautiful!

Happy Shaves, Everyone.

Kit 20210512.jpg

48-hour beard today:

Gillette NEW Short Comb from the 1930s, chambered with a Personna Lab Blue blade (1)

Stirling Texas on Fire soap

AP Shave Co. synthetic tuxedo brush

Proraso Green AS, Assured lotion, Clubman powder

Pre-shower again: Washed phiz with Dial soap, then whipped up the Stirling with the damp brush and face-lathered. I had to go back to the sample puck one time to add some more product, but that's on me, not Stirling. Strangely, the bay rum scent did not bother me as much as it has in the past. Maybe I'm becoming acclimated to it. Anyhow: pass 1, WTG; pass 2, throat only, ATG; pass 3, throat again, XTG and cleanup, for a near-BBS face without irritation. A superb combo; and as usual, the NEW SC paired with a Personna blade sliced away at the stubble with little sensation.

Verdict: 9.7.

ETA: Stirling's Texas apparently doesn't have a bay rum scent. I dunno why I thought it did, except that I used to have a BR sample of theirs and didn't care for the scent.

Last edited:

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
DE SOTD, Wed, May 12th 2021

Razor: Razorock Lupo.72, 2nd Gen-MFG 2021> Excellent razor, mid range, carefree shaving unless careless, excellent design IMO.
Blade: Rapira Lux Platinum(2) Excellent blade, Sharp & smoooth with reasonable longevity.
Soap: Cyril R Salter Indian Sandalwood- excellent scent with great lather qualities. Great post shave today.
Brush: Yaqi 24mm tuxedo knot Sagrada Familia- excellent lather generator, cloud like soft tips, great scrubber+ great lather painter.
Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on the cleaned beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave: Alum tested shave indicating not much issues at all, excellent shave.
Post shave: Proraso red sandalwood lotion with witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm.
Results: 9.5/10 or CCS,DFS,BBs + no irritation + 1 nick>operator error=:a17:Excellent shave with my RR 2nd Gen Lupo.72 with a Rapira Lux blade.

DE SOTD, Wed May 12th 2021.jpg

Have some great shaves! Stay & think safe in these times, light at the end of the tunnel IMO!

Soap: Stirling coconut lime
Razor: Le Grelot 6/8
Strop: Tony Miller Steerhide
Brush: Simpson Trafalgar T2
Aftershave: Stirling Duke w/ menthol

Finally used some of this Stirling sample my dad gave me a while back. Was saving it for warmer weather but woke up wishing it was warmer, so decided to give it a go. Going to be thoroughly enjoying this one this summer! Very nice.
Didn't use any pre-shave this time around and got some redness on my neck post-shave, which is what I sort of expected. I like to take the pre-shave out of the equation from time to time to see if it makes a difference and the conclusion is always that I do get a benefit from using it with a straight razor.

Stirling Duke always makes my eyes tear up worse than Osage Rub, but Osage Rub always feels a lot colder on the face. I will never understand this.

8/10.

Razor: Gillette 1965 Flair Tip Super Speed
Blade: Crown Platinum (1st)
Brush: Dscosmetic 25mm Boar/Badger mix
Pre-Shave: Innisfree - Jeju Volcanic Pore Cleansing Foam
Lather: Extro Cosmesi Liquirizia & Magnolia
Aftershave: Extro Cosmesi - Licorice and Magnolia
3BA9F47C-89DA-4611-BF75-D7BCAB0479A6.jpeg

Shave Rating: 10/10
Liquorice and Magnolia…facial opiate
Yes, this shave was all about the scent. I love this understated Extro combination so much I start thinking about it during the day, or when I wake up in the morning . I can’t say I was really paying attention to the rest of the shave, but the fact I used an unknown blade and had a great shave without paying any notice speaks for itself.

Lupo.72,Gillette 7o'clock sharp edge(yellow)(1),PAA Astra Planeta,Simpsons chubby1 super,Thayers cucumber,prorasso aftershave,Nivea sensitive,prorasso pre/post balm.Superb shave with the Lupo once again no cuts or weepers just smooth and close.Another BBS with minimum pickups.Loving this razor more every time i use it.Perfect. 10/10
20210512_145429[1].jpg

Wednesday late morning shave, went out to breakfast this morning, two-pass shave with some added clean up, 9/10, one small weeper. I tried to match yesterday's amazing shave and came up short, but still DFS:

Pre-shave: shower with Ivory Bar Soap
Razor: Occam's razor- two-dot head- seems the best option for me for an easy, yet close shave
Blade: Feather AC Pro (6)- a little less good
Brush: Omega Pro 10083- big, floppy, and fun
Soap: Mogno bar- this may become the preferred budget option with its nice scent, good lather, and decent face feel. Not quite as good a shave as with Canada Soap, fast becoming a true star for me, but the Mongo does things well enough, if I remember not to push it too much.
Post-shave: cold rinse, styptic touch, then a big splash of Aqua Vela Musk AS; picked this up at a small pharmacy when I got the styptic. Nice local store that even had some Schick injector blades on the wall.

Have some wonderful shaves!

PXL_20210512_150357755.jpg

Pre Shave: Warm Shower, Stirling Unscented Pre Shave Soap
Razor: Occam's OREN with Two Dot Plate
Blade: Feather Professional
Soap/Cream: Spieck Stick
Bowl: N/A
Brush: Simpson's Trafalgar T3 Synthetic
Post Shave: Cold Water Rinse, Thayers Unscented Witch Hazel, Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm, Proraso Red AS
Rating: 10/10 Excellent 2 1/2 pass BBS shave. No weepers, cuts or irritation. Mindless Shave but not as enjoyable as a soap puck. Spieck has residual slickness, but just wasn't my normal enjoyable shave. Getting ready to head on a 10 day trip and wanting to pair down what I take with me.

20210302_082539.jpg

Razor: Timeless Bronze SB .38
Blade: Gillette Rubie Plus
Brush: Simpson Commodore X2 Best Badger
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandalwood
Aftershave: Aqua Velva Classic Ice Blue
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Imperial Leather Talcum Powder
Rating 9.5

Shave 1.jpg

Pre
Face wash with Neutrogena Liquid Facial Soap
Soap/Cream
Tabac
Brush
B&B Essential 10th Anniv Edit.
Bowl
Captain’s Choice Copper
Razor
Timeless SS SB .68
Blade
Wizamet
Aftershave
Thayers WH & Neutrogena Triple Protect
Fragrance
Jimmy Choo Man Intense
Rating
10/10.
Comments
This razor never disappoints no matter what blade I use. A nice, smooth, close BBS shave. 5th and final shave with this combo.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Yesterday's shave.

Tuesday 20210511
20210511_201946~2.jpg

Razor: Karve Brass SB-G
Blade: Personna Med Prep (4)
Brush: Rudy Vey "The Favorite"
(Shavemac 24mm 2-band Silvertip)
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: Haslinger Schafmilch
Aftershave: Badger Blend Aproxo
Fragrance: Cuba Royal EdT Spray

Outstanding shave! :cool:

Do you use the moustache razor that’s in your photos? It is a moustache razor isn’t it? Loving the look of the bronze by the way.
View attachment 1265527
Razor: Timeless Bronze SB .38
Blade: Gillette Rubie Plus
Brush: Simpson Commodore X2 Best Badger
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandalwood
Aftershave: Aqua Velva Classic Ice Blue
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Imperial Leather Talcum Powder
Rating 9.5

- Brush: Kent BLK8
- Razor: Razorock Hawk v2
- Blade: Schick Proline (1)
- Soap: Ethos Greenfresh
- Aftershave: Stirling Autumn Glory
- Post Shave: Thayers Rose, Hyaluronic Acid

Nice shave today with my son’s aluminum Hawk SE. He hated it, so I traded him one of my old Techs. 👍 Nice smooth razor with a new Schick.

The Ethos and Autumn Glory were a nice gift in a trade with a fellow B&Ber and both are nice. The Ethos Greenfresh scent is excellent. Really nice clean citrus.

Too bad Kent discontinued their badger brushes as I would love to get a bigger BK13 without paying insane aftermarket prices. The BLK8 is excellent. It is no Chubby, but it is a joy to use.

Almost BBS with no irritation.

9.5/10

89DC0676-4F93-436E-8194-B6BB465ECB7F.jpeg

Today I learnt something about shaving, two things, actually. One I knew already (but got reminded sharply), one I did not think about. Today I was looking forward to a nice shave with Haslinger Sheep lathered with the Yaqi Monster and a 3.5 pass shave with the Rockwell 6S and a new Personna Red. The mistake was to take the cell with me in the bathroom and to look at it when a message came in. The message was a bit disturbing, something at work needed to be fixed, blablabla. And all of a sudden a first pass that started smooth and comfortable turned - quite - bloody. I was concentrating more on to fix the issue than on the shave. I cut it short to a 2 pass (WTG, ATG), not really pleasant - score: 6/10

I learnt: a) to concentrate on the shave (thought I knew that already) and b) to never take your cell to your shave (or, at least, not to look at messages coming in).

Razor: Rockwell 6S, WTG/ATG: R4
Blade: Personna Red (1)
Soap: Haslinger Sheep
Brush: Yaqi Monster
Preshave: Balea Rasieröl
Aftershave: Osma Alum, Nivea Sensitive Balm, Balea Men Outdoor Protection

Late Post
Razor: Blackland Razors Vector SB
Blade: Schick Proline
Brush: PAA Phantom Aerolite
Cream: Cyril R Salter Sublime Citrus
Lather: Face
Aftershave: Stirling Piacenza (sample)

The Shave: WTG and ATG for a DFS shave. Smooth and effortless, the Vector Proline combo is excellent. The Phantom Aerolite is a joy to use, it made beautiful performing lather with the CRS Sublime Citrus. An easy 9/10 shave to start the day.
F8799337-235B-4DBC-8AD1-D69A73590120.jpeg
D8F82684-8E05-4344-8D82-8C8DB7FA15D5.jpeg
14737804-93A1-4E20-9CAF-7D0961328561.jpeg

Top Bottom