What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

Terrific Tuesday shave, two-pass shave with some added clean up, 10/10, no mishaps and I have that super rubbery face feeling, so BBS:

Pre-shave: shower with Ivory Bar Soap
Razor: Occam's razor- two-dot head- switched back from the three-dot head and got a great shave today.
Blade: Feather AC Pro (5)- still good
Brush: Semogue SOC cherry boar
Soap: Canada Shave Soap, great lather, with great protection during clean up strokes.
Post-shave: cold rinse, big splash of Aqua Vela Classic Ice Blue AS

Have some wonderful shaves!
PXL_20210511_135134494.jpg

9.5/10
Tried out the new Stirling razor with the ST plate. What a smooth and aggressive shaver.

New Gillette Platinum blade paired really well

Also tried the new Stirling Campania soap and AS excellent scent.

I got away with only two baby creepers on bumps i had on my neck. Very minimal stinging with alum and AS.
proxy.php

- Fayiz D.

Soap: Arko
Razor: Le Grelot 6/8
Strop: Tony Miller Steerhide
Brush: Simpson Colonel
Aftershave: Witch Hazel / Osage Rub

Not bad, not great. Had a feeling yesterday that my edge may need a refresh soon, but got lazy and chose to let it go for a few more shaves. This shave felt a little rough and got a few weepers early on, which is unusual. Looking forward to whipping out the stone this evening.

This brush seems to be improving, which I guess was to be expected since they break in. Not expecting such a drastic break-in change like my boars but so far this brush is proving to be something I really enjoy. Really glad to have it.

7/10 3 weepers and wicked aftershave burn.

Pre-shave (in order of use)
- Hawkins & Brimble Face Wash
- Truefitt and Hill Pre-shave Oil
- Fine Accoutrements L'Orange Noir (Classic base).

Post-shave (in order of use)
- Omega Alum Block
- Stirling Tea Tree, Witch Hazel & Aloe
- The Ordinary Hyaluronic acid
- The Ordinary Buffet Serum
- L'Occitane Eau De Cedrat After Shave Cream Gel
- Jack Black Double-Duty Face Moisturiser

Tools
- Gillette King C Razor
- Platinum (Light Blue)(1)
- Antica Barberia Mondial Boar

Shave Rating: 8/10
Trying out a Gillette Platinum this week to see how it compares to a King C blade I used in this razor last week. First shave in and it doesn't quite feel as sharp as the King C did but I did have an extra days growth than usual today which could explain it. Its still a mid-sharp blade and nice and smooth. I also ended up with a touch of post-shave irritation today as well which I didn't get after shave 1 on a King C.
Overall a pleasant shave today but ended up with a bit of post-shave irritation and some feedback from the Alum block.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
Tuesday morning shave

Razor: Koeller’s Gun-Metal
Brush: Badger
Soap: MWF

A glorious shave this morning. A quick 8-12k touch up off the Super Stones produced a keen edge on the Koeller. Lots of audible feedback on this fine grind, a pleasure. Dense lather with soap-brush combo today. Happy Tuesday!
CCB224C9-897E-46E2-9984-8582673644BA.jpeg

9/10

- Brush: Shavemac 3 Band Silvertip
- Razor: Razorock Hawk SS with OC plate
- Blade: Schick Proline (1j
- Soap: B&M Oceana
- Aftershave: B&M Oceana balm
- Post Shave: Thayers Rose, Hyaluronic Acid

I finally got the courage up to use my Hawk OC plate. Man, this one is aggressive. Not too aggressive, but it will keep you on your toes. Not a daily shaver for me and it gave me a BBS with a couple of weepers with 48hrs growth.

The ShaveMac isn’t a great brush. It doesn’t hold and/or release lather as well as I would like. It’s good, but not Simpson, Kent, Spiffo or Thater level Good.

Oceana? Excellent. Mild scent that reminds me of being on vacation at the beach. Lathers well and has good slickness.

9/10

D0208474-B763-4718-B879-286541B9B522.jpeg

My Tuesday Morning Shave
Prep: Warm shower​
2 pass shave: WTG, ATG/XTG​
Razor: Merkur Progress 510 Long Handle Levels #5, #4​
Blade: KAI (4)​
Pre-Shave: Proraso Blue Cream, Aloe & Vitamin E​
Brush: Vie-Long Horse Hair​
Soap: Colonel Conk Natural Shave Cream Rio Grande Lavender​
Facial Toner: Thayers Original Witch Hazel w/ Aloe Vera Formula​
Aftershave: Proraso Blue Alcohol Free Aftershave Balm, Aloe and Vitamin E​
9.7/10 DFS! No irritation!

Last edited:
- Brush: Shavemac 3 Band Silvertip
- Razor: Razorock Hawk SS with OC plate
- Blade: Schick Proline (1j
- Soap: B&M Oceana
- Aftershave: B&M Oceana balm
- Post Shave: Thayers Rose, Hyaluronic Acid

I finally got the courage up to use my Hawk OC plate. Man, this one is aggressive. Not too aggressive, but it will keep you on your toes. Not a daily shaver for me and it gave me a BBS with a couple of weepers with 48hrs growth.

The ShaveMac isn’t a great brush. It doesn’t hold and/or release lather as well as I would like. It’s good, but not Simpson, Kent, Spiffo or Thater level Good.

Oceana? Excellent. Mild scent that reminds me of being on vacation at the beach. Lathers well and has good slickness.

9/10

View attachment 1265138
Did you just get that brush, I love the 2band Shavemac, I would rather use them than my Simpson’s, Spiffo,

Blade: Voskhod (2) out
Soap: SV Cubebe
Razor: Timeless Ti Sb .95
Brush: Rooney with 21mm Shavemac Fine knot, I would put this little brush up against a lot of brushes, holds lather like there is no end, releases easily, had enough for 4 passes and cleanup, really could not believe it, wish they still made these knots
Post Shave: 4711

10/10
5D907CF1-2CF0-4583-9217-D06B035C7F3E.jpeg

Did you just get that brush, I love the 2band Shavemac, I would rather use them than my Simpson’s, Spiffo,
I have had it for a while but I just don’t use it very often.

Maybe it is an older one and the newer ones are better? I just don’t find the knot to be anything special.

You have to get that P O Box going so I can send a Rudy Vey Shavemac 2 Band to borrow
Yup. I would love to swap a brush with you to try for a bit.

We are still locked down and it will likely be extended into June.
The chance of me getting across the border to my PO Box is 0% until at least late June/early July. 👎

• Sad
Reactions: GNR

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Yup. I would love to swap a brush with you to try for a bit.

We are still locked down and it will likely be extended into June.
The chance of me getting across the border to my PO Box is 0% until at least late June/early July. 👎
How many people in the Toronto area have US PO boxes, I wonder? And is a similar thing true in the Windsor/Detroit area? And if so, why?

How many people in the Toronto area have US PO boxes, I wonder? And is a similar thing true in the Windsor/Detroit area? And if so, why?
My cottage is a few miles from the NY state border (not far from Fort Drum). I have a PO Box as many US companies won’t ship to Canada. Also, shipping to Canada from many smaller retailers is very expensive. Lastly, shaving related example... certain brush makers won’t/can’t ship badger to Canada as the proper paperwork is cost prohibitive.

My wife goes across for groceries and does a bit of other shopping every couple of weeks in the spring-fall, so it is easy and quick to pick up parcels.

I think having a PO Box in the US for Canadians is more popular in less populated areas. Toronto is still a long drive to Niagara and the border crossing can be backed up pretty good. Not feasible crossing at the big entry points unless you live right at the Border (St Catherines or Windsor and similar). Border dwellers can get an express pass.

Top Bottom