What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

TOBS Sandalwood
Omega 599
Merkur 39C
Kai (8th use)
TOBS Sandalwood AS

Score 8/10

Not as smooth a shave as yesterday but I think that was down to me not getting my lather right so I'm not ready to bin this blade yet.

IMG_20210503_185631809.jpg

Soap/Cream: Proraso Red soap
Brush: Mühle Silvertip fibre M
Razor: Merkur 38C
Blade: Personna Platinum (Red) (3rd)
AS: cold rinse; Nivea sensitive balm.

2 passes, good shave, a notch above CCS. Oh man, how I like the result this Personna blade gives. And how I dislike the process. I just can't enjoy the way this blade is acting.

9/10 for me

E8C68169-9DCE-46BD-A645-10DAF46BA545.jpeg

Razor: Gillette Slim
Blade: Wizamet (1)
Soap: Stirling Intrepid Man
Brush: TGN Silvertip
Aftershave: Chiseled Face Ghost Town Barber

This mornings shave got off to a rough start as the Nacet I started with was not cutting well, but put a new blade in and all was good. I’ve had a couple blades stop working well after 3 shaves recently, which I find puzzling as my beard is not particularly heavy. Could I have changed my technique in such a way that makes them lose their edge faster? I don’t think I’m doing anything differently.

In any case, great shave once the new blade was loaded.

9.3/10

04 May 2021
20210504_061510.jpg

Prep:
Old Spice Bar Soap
Razor For The Shave:
WCS 84S
Van der Hagen √
Cream Of The Day:
Razor Rock Saturnia – Italy
Old Spice Original –India
Old Spice Musk – India √ (using rain water)
Proraso Green –Italy
Brushes For The Shave:
Omega 11126 -- Today’s shave
Gray Dog-- Prep with Old Spice Bar soap
Blade For The Shave:
Voskhod Shave #1
Passes:
WTG and then ATG
Cleanup:
Rinsed and dried face, Witch Hazel, and then Alum rub downs.
Aftershave:
Old Spice – Canada?
Rating:
10.0 BBS A great 1st shave with a new blade! For today, no stubble, nicks or weepers. This morning, I let the Old Spice soap lather sit on my face for several minutes while doing other things.

Lots of errands this morning / afternoon.

Fortunately, last night’s severe weather went around our area of North Texas.

Razor: RazoRock Baby Smooth
Blade: Feather (1)
Brush: Thater 4125 Fan,Badger, 24mm
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper

Soap: Le Piere Lucien, Abricot

No.4711 Cologne Water

The Baby Smooth is a mild razor and a Feather pairs well with it imo. I did re-open the weeper I got yesterday but it was my fault. All in all a good shave.

Have a great day everyone [emoji106]
proxy.php

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Rating: 9.5/10
Pre-Shave: Cold water splash - Pinaud Clubman Classic Barber Shave Cream (Brushless - applied by hand.)
Soap: WSP Bay Rum (Formula T)
Brush: Simpson Trafalgar synthetic T1
Razor: RazoRock Lupo SS SB .72
Blade: Viking Sword (1)
Post-Shave: Cold water splash - Stirling Bay Rum-scented Witch Hazel - Lucky Tiger aftershave tonic
AS: WSP Bay Rum splash

Great shave. Wasn't thrilled with this blade...tried something new from tryablade.com...Viking Sword. It was ok, but I had to go over a couple of spots where I normally wouldn't have to do that. So, DFS/BBS with no blood, but it left me wondering with the extra touchup activity whether it was caused by the blade. On the first five or six downward WTG strokes, there was a lot of face feel...also uncommon with the Lupo with a well-matched blade. So, again, nothing wrong with Viking Sword, worked fine...just required a little more work. Could have been me. Maybe I'm in a nitpicking mood this morning. The WSP soap was brilliant...rich, creamy slick lather. Topped it off with their splash which I like so much I have two bottles of it. Was good to get back to the morning shave.

Happy Shaves, Everyone.

Kit 20210504.jpg

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
A.S.Razor shave, May4th 2021

Razor: Everready 1914 (AKA-Little lather catcher)- MFG 1914-17,1st gen, mid range, one of the best ER A.S.R razors made IMO.
Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE(10) excellent blade, Very sharp, Great longevity, smooths out nicely + predictable.
Soap: Speick, excellent lather qualities, nice mild spicy scent.
Brush: Yaqi 24mm boar bristle- shed a lot first and has become a great brush to lather with IMO, soft tips + nice handle.
Pre shave: brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on the cleaned beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave: Razorock blue barber with witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm.
Results: 10/10 or CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers= :a17:Excellent shave with my ER 1914 LLC with a coated Gem blade.(hit my sweet spot target consistently)

ASRshave, May4th 2021.jpg

Have some great shaves! Stay & think safe in these times!

Razor: Parker 97R Hefty
Blade: Lord - New Platinum (3)
Brush: Dscosmetic - Cashmere 26mm
Pre-Shave: Innisfree - Jeju Volcanic Pore Cleansing Foam
Lather: Saponificio Bignoli -Antica Ricetta
Aftershave: Clubman Pinaud - Classic
FC016A18-3D31-4B93-9B6B-03A133B9FE14.jpeg

Shave Rating: 10/10
Parker 97R...an R41 with humanity!
The Parker 97R has a vicious looking blade gap that to look at would make nervous shavers foul their shorts. Don’t be afraid. In spite of its looks it is extremely intuitive to shave with. I pretty much use the same muscle memory I would use with a Gillette Tech.
I don’t get any of the uncomfortable tuggy feeling I encounter with a Mühle R41, especially against the grain. Two pass BBS...no problem for this Parker razor.
First shave with this Dscosmetic brush. This is my first first experience with the “cashmere” knot, and I was impressed. It is a nice and soft, yet has surprisingly nice backbone for such a tall loft. Definitely a front row brush.

Last edited:
Tuesday shave, two-pass, with some buffing and clean-up, DFS, 9+/10, no mishaps, close enough and pleasant:

Pre-shave: shower with wonderful old-fashioned Ivory Bar Soap
Razor: Occam's OREN- two-dot head
Blade: Feather AC Pro (8)- Clearly the blade has dulled, and it's shaving like an entirely different blade than the first five shaves. Normally, I replace the blade by now, but I'll see if I can use it for a while longer. Since I've been using the Canada soap, the blade seems to be able to keep cutting my whiskers close. Maybe not to a BBS level, but clearly a DFS still.
Brush: Simpson T2 synthetic- this is one synthetic actually nice for me to use. It holds plenty of lather with a good load. It has a hint of scritch like best badger, too.
Soap: Canada Shave Soap- not sure why, but after using a few days in a row it just seems to get better. Like @SgtCrppls implied this could easily become a daily driver. The only cons are the relatively high price and that the soap is unscented. But, this puck has now been used quite a bit and is showing no real wear- maybe a few mm so far. It'll last a very long time, which for me offsets the high price. I suppose I could bowl lather with a drop or two of essential oil. When I get back to home, I'll try it.
Post-shave: cold rinse, Aqua Velva Classic Ice Blue AS splash, love that menthol feel.

May the glide be with you!

PXL_20210504_145236009.jpg

Soap: Arko
Razor: Le Grelot 6/8
Strop: Tony Miller Steerhide
Brush: Simpson Trafalgar T2
Aftershave: Witch Hazel / Lilac Vegetal

No cuts/irritation. Still getting used to this brush, but really enjoyed it this morning. My complaint is the difficulty in getting a good splay but had no issues just using the painting method. Unsure if I'd take it over any of my boars but it's a great brush.

10/10

Pre Shave: Warm Shower, Stirling Unscented Pre Shave Soap
Razor: Occams OREN Two Dot Plate
Blade: Feather Professional
Soap/Cream: Arianna & Evans Barbiere Sophisticato
Bowl: Timeless Blue Shave Bowl
Brush: Semogue 1305 Boar
Post Shave: Cold Water Rinse, Alum Stick, Thayers Unscented Witch Hazel, Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm, Stirling Executive Man
Rating: 10/10 Excellent 2 1/2 pass BBS shave. No weepers, cuts or irritation. Nice Mindless Shave. I am still impressed at how wonderful the shaves are with this razor/blade combination.

Last edited:
20210412_080546.jpg

Razor: Rex Supply Ambassador
Blade: Gillette Rubie Plus
Brush: Simpson Emperor 3 Super Badger
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Long Rifle Bay Rhum
Aftershave: Pinaud Virgin Islands Bay Rum
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Imperial Leather Talcum Powder
Rating Ten.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
Tuesday morning shave

Razor: John Primble
Brush: Boar
Soap: Arko

A fine morning shave. I’m slow and deliberate with my SR and found the Arko not as slick as I would have preferred by the end of the first pass. I remedied the situation for pass #2 and was rewarded with a very close comfortable shave.
Happy Tuesday!
E3F0F4DD-E967-44D1-B89E-E84C4576A6D0.jpeg

9/10

Razor Fatip Testina Gentile
Blade Vintage Wilkinson London Bridge
Brush Omega Pure Badger
Soap Proraso Single Edge Azure/Lime
AS A & E St Barts

I always get great shaves with the Gentile but today was exceptional. My first time using an LB blade and the Proraso single edge cream so I'm not sure if one specific thing contributed or perhaps it was just the glorious triumvirate.

20210504_121820.jpg

1620150148010.jpeg

Brush: Paladin Pirate 26mm
Soap: Declaration Grooming - After the Rain
Razor: Razorock Hawk V3
Blade: Feather Professional

9/10: Still a bit on the mild side for my tastes, but I’m committed to sticking with it as new blades and a new plate come in. What seemed like an underwhelming knot on the Paladin (K7) has performed very nicely recently.

Top Bottom