What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

20200607_095656.jpg

Razor: Gem Push-Button Gold
Blade: Personna GEM PTFE Stainless Steel Blade
Brush: Rick Montalvo Grade A Silvertip Badger
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Razorock Mudder Focker
Aftershave: Shannon's 25th Street Lime splash
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Imperial Leather Talcum Powder

IMG_2752.jpg

Razor: Rockwell 6S R4/R2
Blade: Nacet
Brush: West Coast Shaving Finest Badger
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Black Ship Grooming Stolen Heart
Postshave: Omega Alum Stick
Aftershave: Black Ship Grooming Stolen Heart

9/10 Nacet blade is a bit sharper than I like, but I'm getting more comfortable with it.

IMG_1175.JPG

Pre: A hot shower
Brush: Simpson T3
Soap: Chiseled Face Ghost Town Barber
Bowl: Fine lather bowl
Razor: Fatip Piccolo
Blade: Astra SP (3)
After: Gillette Blue Gel
Rating: 9.5

I had a near perfect shave yesterday, (super close), and it seems it was even better than I thought. I had a new Facon Shavette out to try out, for clean up, (I used their Kamasori yesterday, for clean up, and liked it), but...in 2 passes, (XTG, ATG) there was no need for more shaving. The handle on the Piccolo has always been a bit too small, and I had an idea....I have some very thick, high voltage shrink wrap, so I cut a piece, and got the heat gun, and put it on the Piccolo handle. The stuff is durable, like hard rubber, and grippy texturted, and isn't going anywhere. I could remove it carefully with a razor knife, though it is tough. Grip, and feel is much better, so it's staying on, and I like the Piccolo better now

My Monday Morning shave: MdC monday, bowl lathered with the SOC boar. The lather was, astonishingly, different - I would have said it lacked structure and soul - but it performed very well. Three days growth went very easily, a smooth and very comfortable but close shave. No nick or weeper. Great shave!

Razor: Rockwell 6S, WTG: R5, XTG: R4, ATG and touch-ups: R3
Blade: Personna Red (1)
Soap: Martin de Candre Agrumes
Brush: SOB boar
Preshave: Balea Rasieröl
Aftershave: Osma Alum, Nivea Sensitive Balm, Balea Men Outdoor Protection
Score: 10/10

Pre-shave (in order of use)
- Jack Black Deep Dive Glycolic Facial Cleanser
- Truefitt and Hill Pre-shave Oil
- Phoenix and Beau Imperial Rum (sample)

Post-shave (in order of use)
- Omega Alum Block
- The Ordinary Hyaluronic acid
- The Ordinary Buffet Serum
- Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm
- Jack Black Double Duty Moisturiser

Tools
- Gillette King C Razor
- Gillette King C Blade (1)
- Semogue SOC Taj Boar

Shave Rating: 9/10
Trying out a sample of Phoenix and Beau Imperial Rum this week and the first shave today was very impressive! It lathers easily and provides a slick and cushioned lather full of tallowy goodness with a nice post shave feel. Scent wise it has a bit more warmth and spice to it than a traditional Bay Rum and it's definitely a very nice smelling soap (to my noise anyway).
Back to using the King C combination this week and then next week I'll be trying the King C razor with a Gillette Platinum (light blue) next week and the Gillette Platinum (dark blue) the week after to see how they all compare.
Overall a very pleasant shave with no irritation or feedback from the Alum block.

- Brush: Simpson Beaufort 6 Pure
- Razor: Like Grandpa razor with a Karve OC-D plate
- Blade: Astra Superior Stainless (1)
- Soap: First Canadian Shave MFer
- Aftershave: FCS MFer
- Post Shave: Thayers Rose, Hyaluronic Acid

Perfect shave today after missing a day.

The Karve OC-D is great for me. I wouldn’t use it every day, but it is great when I have a bit extra growth. I haven’t used many Astra SS blades (used lots of Astra SP) and these are excellent. Better than the SP for sure IMO. Top tier blade.

The FCS soap may have an idiotic name, but it is an excellent product as are most of FCS’ soaps and AS. Amazing scent and good performance.

My Beaufort Pure has a pretty ugly looking knot but it has much softer tips than my other Simpson Pure brushes. I really like this one.

10/10

2A7D8A22-A18F-4364-927B-15B4EF57EA68.jpeg

A 36-hour beard for an afternoon shave -- and one of the poorest I've had in a while. Nor do I know what went wrong. The particulars:

Gillette Slim from '62/new Personna Red blade

Mix of Trumper's Almond cream and Barbasol Original, with a walk-on role for Tabac in stick form

Semogue boar brush

Proraso Red AS, Assured lotion, Clubman powder

I came home from work, washed my face and throat with La Toja stick soap, ran cool shave water with baking soda as I usually do for slipperiness, then loaded the boar with Trumper's. That got whipped in the scuttle and mixed with a spritz of Barbasol. I waited 3 minutes as usual after face-lathering, then applied the Slim on setting 6. It felt rough, as if the beard hairs were not disposed to be cut. Pass 1 WTG, pass 2 ATG with the Slim stopped down to 5, and I felt as if I were using a dull blade. Puzzled, I applied some Tabac to my throat, lathered it, and made a cleanup pass with the Slim reset to 6. No nicks, no irritation -- but the distinct feeling was that I should have waited until I had a 48-hour beard.

I can't imagine the problem. I've used Trumper's plus Barbasol plenty of times and had good shaves (albeit usually on 24-hour beards); the blade was new; the Slim's setting of 6 has been working great for me. True, I used cool instead of lukewarm water, but could that be the issue? The end result is socially acceptable, but my throat feels as if it needs another pass -- but I know better than to risk irritation that way. Odd.

Verdict: 8.9!!

Back to the ever reliable 37C/Kai/599/XXX combo today and it was awesome 🙂
Yes!
Had to smile. I too think the KAI and Feather blades balance out the costs with the 2 or 3 extra shaves you get. Normally 3 shaves are the most I get from a blade and occasionally 4 shaves. I get 5 or 6 from KAI and Feather blades. That's doing three pass shaves and maybe some touch-ups.
Thanks for the good post.
You're welcome. I have the exact same average use you're describing. Speaking of which:

tempImage9WeXL1.jpg

I was able to get a 5th full shave from the Kai blade, and it was comfortable and efficient, but I also had quite a few weepers and some were persistent enough to show up later as dried dots of blood. Not happy with that! I feel confident I didn't add extra passes or buffing, so I'm going to chalk it up to a finished blade.

The shave result was very smooth and close as previously. BBS in most places with some DFS areas under and to the sides of the chin.

I'm enjoying the ride with the German 37 and Kai so much I'll probably start a new blade tomorrow rather than jumping to something else. I'm curious if I can keep this string of consistently good shaves going.

Rating: 7/10. Gotta dock big points for the small but visible injuries which cropped up later in the day (having finally removed my mask!)

Tue 4th SOTD
Soap LaToja Stick
Brush Yaqi 24mm Ruby Tuxedo
Razor Game Changer.84-P SB
Blade Personna Red Platinum 3rd
Post & Aftershaves Ice Water + Stirling Witchhazel Orange Chill + Hyaluronic + Old Spice Original
Top-quality performance soap! Just a little makes a thickly creamy and very slick lather...with a mild pleasant scent.
Shave with razor paired with the blade was very good. Smooth and comfortable for 3passes without any issues for a mostly bbs result. Great session capped-off by excellent aftershaves. Rating 10/10!
20210503_210855.jpg
20210504_072446.jpg

Lefonque

Even more clueless than you
FDA5984E-A695-449B-80F4-BD7DA6E693FB.jpeg

PrePAA Cube 2.0 USA 🇺🇸
SoapMurphy and McNeil Barbershop de los Muertos 2, USA 🇺🇸
BrushBilly Goat Brushworks “Sunset” Australia 🇦🇺
RazorFeather ASD2, Japan 🇯🇵
BladeFeather, Japan 🇯🇵
AftershaveProraso Alum, Italy 🇮🇹, Nivea Balm Germany 🇩🇪
FragranceMurphy and McNeil Barbershop de los Muertos 2, USA 🇺🇸
Rating8.5/10

Prep : Room Temperature Water Splashes + Glycerin Face Wash
Razor: Parker SRX Shavette
Blade: Wilkinson Sword Indian Half Blade (D1)
Brush: Simpson Duke 3 in BEST Badger
Soap : Stirling Margaritas in Arctic
Aftershave: Alum Block + Cold Water Rinse + Biotiq Wild Grass AS Lotion
Rating : 9.75/10 :pipe:

A cery close, comfortable BBS in 2.5 passes ! :001_wub:

Top Bottom