What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

13 April 2021
20210413_052240.jpg

Prep:
Old Spice Bar soap
Razor For The Shave:
WCS 84S √
Van der Hagen
Cream Of The Day:
Old Spice Original √
Old Spice Musk
Proraso Green
Brush For The Shave:
Omega11126 √
Gray Dog
Blade For The Shave:
Rapira Platinum Lux Shave #4
Passes:
WTG and then ATG
Cleanup:
Rinsed and dried face, Witch Hazel, and then an Alum rub down.
Aftershave:
Old Spice
Rating:
10.0 BBS Once again a nice warm shave with no stubble, nicks, or weepers.

Prep: Shower
Razor: Timeless SS .95 OC
Blade: Astra SP (1)
Soap: MWF
Brush: Razorock Snowman
Aftershave: Maol Grooming Frankenlime

3 passes, no touchup needed.

Rating: 10/10

I've been using the Timeless with a titanium handle since I bought it, and it's been doing a great job. But I find the handle a bit slippery, so I ordered a TRH7 from scratch and dent, and had my first shave with it this morning. To me, the heavy handle makes the razor absolutely perfect. Heavy yes, but I find the balance is perfect, making it easy to shave with no added pressure. Nice amount of grip too. I have a sensitive spot on my neck that gets very easily irritated, but the Timeless / Astra combination has been giving me irritation-free shaves daily that last 15+ hours. Absolutely the best combination of comfort and efficiency I've had from any razor.
20210413_074753.jpg

A superb 48-hour shave today:

Merkur Progress/new Personna Red blade

Proraso Green cream (plus a little La Toja stick as a face wash/pre-shave)

AP Shave Co. synthetic tuxedo brush

Clubman SR aftershave, Assured lotion, Clubman powder

Continuing the "shave first, shower second" project: a face and throat wash with La Toja, then face-lathering with the Proraso. With the Progress opened to 4.5 (mine closes at 2, so only 2.5 steps open), pass 1 WTG, pass 2 ATG (including the cheeks) at 4, and pass 3 XTG at 3.5. A bit of cleanup for the stubble under my chin, and voila, super smoothness without irritation. Somehow the Progress, and the Fatip Open Comb Slant, manage this near-BBS result more easily, and closer, than my much-loved vintage Gillettes. I won't give the latter up, and rely on them . . . but the Progress and FOCS are the ones for a super-close shave.

Verdict: 9.8!

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Rating: 10/10
Pre-Shave: Cold water splash - Pinaud Clubman Classic Barber Shave Cream (Brushless - applied by hand.)
Soap: Dr. Jon's Anne Bonny
Brush: Maggards synthetic
Razor: RazoRock Lupo SS SB .72 w/WCS SS handle
Blade: Personna Lab Blue (2)
Post-Shave: Cold water splash - Bay Rum-scented Witch Hazel - Lucky Tiger aftershave tonic
AS: Dr, Jon's Anne Bonny

Another beautiful shave with the Lupo/Lab Blue combo...DFS/BBS with no injuries or blood. The Personna Lab Blue was better today than it was yesterday and yesterday it was very, very good. Face and neck are super-smooth.

Thanks, RazoRock Lupo!

Happy Shaves, Everyone.

Kit 20210413.jpg

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
A true Nigel Tufnel shave, it went to eleven. MdC Fougere applied with a T2. Three passes with a Crystal (2) in an ATT SSR1. 4711. Simplicity itself. Simplicity in the number of elements (hot water being the only other element). Simplicity in the scents. Just the way I would like them all to be, and now my face is baby's bottom smooth. It resolved a question for me. I had read various sources pretty much equating Personna Platinums to Crystal Platinums. I do not find that to be the case. I find the Crystal both smoother and more efficient. I have a few tucks of Personnas and a very few Astras and Feathers to use up, but once they are gone I am buying more Crystals. Consistently, once the day one edge is smoothed off, they deliver a lot of great shaves for me. As always YMMV. Cheers!

Tues shave sharp.jpg

Pre
Face wash with Neutrogena Liquid Facial Soap
Soap
AoS Sandalwood Tallow Formula
Brush
Paladin PK 47
Bowl
Captain’s Choice Copper
Razor
Karve B SB
Blade
Wizamet
Aftershave
Thayers WH & Neutrogena Triple Protect
Fragrance
TOBS Sandalwood
Rating
10/10.
Comments
A beautiful AZ day. Today I used my first Paladin brush: one I won at a Sue Auction. As is true of all of the Paladins, it makes great lather while feeling great on my face. I used my bronze Karve with the C plate with a Wizamet blade. The result was a perfect shave.

Pre Shave: Warm Shower, Stirling Unscented Pre Shave Soap
Razor: Occam's OREN with Two Dot Plate
Blade: Kai ProTouch MG
Soap/Cream: Arianna & Evans L'Orange Verde
Bowl: Timeless Blue Shave Bowl
Brush: Semogue TAJ Resin Handle SOC Boar
Post Shave: Cold Water Rinse, Thayers Unscented Witch Hazel, Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm, A&E L'Orange Verde
Rating: 10/10 Excellent 2 1/2 pass BBS shave. Two tiny weepers cured with cold water, No cuts or irritation. Mindless carefree shave. Needing to spend more time with the TAJ brush and get it broken in. Can't get the lather I do with the Cherry Handled SOC Boar.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
A.S.Razor shave today, I have some excellent ASR razors that I really enjoy to use along with my Gem's.

Razor: Star Bar #4 model- Mfg 1919-20 excellent SE,<mid range, one of the last Lather catchers (Kampfe Brothers MFG), Star produced the first safety razors in the USA. This razor has great audio feedback and will give excellent shaves, just a joy to use.
Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE (5) excellent blade characteristic's, very sharp, great longevity, smooths out nicely, predictable.
Soap: Speick, nice spicy scent with excellent lather qualities, good post shave feel.
Brush: Yaqi 24mm boar brush, nice feel to face, it is a shedder (1 hair)still because it's fairly new. like the handle for grip.
Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on the cleaned beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave: Razorock Emperor aftershave with witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm.
Results: 10/10 or CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers = :a17: excellent shave with my Star bar#4 model + a coated Gem blade.
(Not a lot of whiskers to shave off from my stellar shave yesterday with the Gem 1912.)

ASR shave, Tue, April 13th 2021.jpg

Have some great shaves! Stay & think safe in these times!

Quick Tuesday two-pass shave, 8+/10, good enough:

Occam's OREN, Feather Pro (7), Omega 10019 boar, Canada Shave Soap, Aqua Velva Ice Blue AS.

Grabbed a fast shave while Daddy was giving the littlest guy snack. I think I'll see how far I can push this Feather Pro blade. Small Omega brush irritated me a bit on the chin- too much exuberance in face-lathering on my part. AS did a good job of settling it down. Sometimes I forget how nice the basic drugstore aftershaves can be when used daily.

Be well all!

Top Bottom