What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

Sat Shave 1.jpg

Pre
Face wash with Neutrogena Liquid Facial Soap
Soap
AoS Sandalwood Tallow Formula
Brush
B&B Essential Boar
Bowl
Captain’s Choice Copper
Razor
Rockwell SS
Blade
Personna Lab
Aftershave
Thayers WH & Proraso
Fragrance
Jimmy Choo Man Intense
Rating
10/10.
Comments
A Very nice shave. Have a great weekend guys.

Saturday shave, DFS+, 9++/10, no mishaps, simple and sweet:

Razor: OREN razor, two dot head- smooth today
Blade: Feather Pro (4)- just right
Brush: Yaqi 22mm two-band badger- handle end is a bit small, but it's a nice enough brush
Soap: Canada Shave Soap- really nice
Post-shave: Aqua Velva Classic Ice Blue AS-

May your next shave be excellent.
PXL_20210410_131703123.jpg

Prep: Shower + Proraso Green
Razor: Rockwell 6S (P4)
Blade: Nacet (3)
Brush: Ubersuave Synthetic
Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat
Aftershave: Alum + Nivea Post Shave Balm

DFS | 9.0/10

Fine shave despite having one nick. I watched a YouTuber who voiced his scepticism for lanolin in shave soaps, and it does make sense. The soap actually works very well as it is, though, I wonder if the shave would improve further if that ingredient wasn't present. Wish you all great shaves ahead!

SOTD_20210410.jpg

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Rating: 9/10
Pre-Shave: Cold water splash - Pinaud Clubman Classic Barber Shave Cream (Brushless - applied by hand.)
Soap: Barrister and Mann Reserve Waves
Brush: Yaqi Red Marbleized Tuxedo Synthetic
Razor: RazoRock Lupo SS SB .72 w/WCS SS handle
Blade: Kai SS (1)
Post-Shave: Cold water splash - Bay Rum-scented Witch Hazel - Lucky Tiger aftershave tonic
AS: Black Ship Grooming Pirate's Bay splash

Great result...ok experience. I dialed in this soap poorly and it was a bit runny...a point off for the messy experience. It did however provide the necessary protection, but the bathroom sink was a bit of a soapy mess. Nevertheless, DFS/BBS. Kai SS works well in this razor, although it is not top three for me...at least...not in this razor.

Decided to pull out a splash I had purchased long ago that has a sort of citrus and vanilla...citronella scent. Good for a warmer weather day. Nice scent.

Happy Shaves, Everyone.

Kit 20210410.jpg

Today, dealing with two days of growth, I used the SOC boar for the fourth time. Bowl lathering was so good yesterday that I bowl lathered again today with the Haslinger sheep. Wonderful lather, great shave, close but very comfortable, no nicks or cuts. I still try to get a feeling for the amount of product necessary for this brush. No lather eating yesterday or today but lather for at least one more pass remained in the bowl.

Great shave 9/10.

Razor: Rockwell 6S, WTG/XTG R4, ATG R3
Blade: Personna Red (2)
Soap: Haslinger Sheep
Brush: SOC boar
Aftershave: Nivea Balsam Sensitive

Last edited:
10/10
Fantastic head shave this morning
Tried out some new things
Stirling dunshire sample with some menthol crystals on top as well as willys blades in my rex ambassador.

The blade worked flawlessly in this razor set at level 3 for all 3 passes plus pick up. I take was surprised and impressed with these blades.

Ice cold shave between paa ice cube, mu homemade chill mill, and stirling noir glacial menthol A/S
proxy.php

- Fayiz D.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Started with the Astra to see if day 2 might be the charm. It wasn't. So I slapped in a Personna Platinum, relathered, and had a fine shave. Boring as it might be to most, I am of the view that I have found a combination of one razor (ATT Windsor SSR1), two nearly identical blades (Personna and Crystal Platinum), one soap (MdC Fougere), one brush (Kent BK4), and one aftershave (4711 cologne) that works so perfectly for me I do not want to deviate any more.

Started with the Astra to see if day 2 might be the charm. It wasn't. So I slapped in a Personna Platinum, relathered, and had a fine shave. Boring as it might be to most, I am of the view that I have found a combination of one razor (ATT Windsor SSR1), two nearly identical blades (Personna and Crystal Platinum), one soap (MdC Fougere), one brush (Kent BK4), and one aftershave (4711 cologne) that works so perfectly for me I do not want to deviate any more.

I tend to agree. I am currently experimenting again (but on a low level for many members here) but have spent quite a while (something like 14 months) on a fixed combo (Rockwell 6S, Feather, Haslinger sheep, Nivea Sensitive balm, the 6S mostly on R3 (>95%), two brushes (Shavemac Synthetic, Yaqi monster)). I really liked that but currently my curiosity has taken over again and the situation is such that some distraction seems advisable.

this said enjoy your combination!

Razor: AutoStrop Valet VC4 Modified for GEM Blade
Blade: GEM (Personna) PTFE - modified (4)
Brush: FS - 28mm G4 Synthetic
Pre-Shave: Innisfree - Jeju Volcanic Pore Cleansing Foam
Lather: Canada Shaving Soap - Unscented
Aftershave: Stirling - Grapefruit with Menthol
ED1D04DE-17C9-47AE-96FA-64A08019827F.jpeg

Shave Rating: 9.7/10
Not like the Valet grandpa used!
This is my VC4 AutoStrop that has been heavily modified to only accept GEM type SE blades. It will no longer accept Valet or Feather blades. Don’t worry, I still have another undebauched VC4.
Although I believe the VC4 to be the mildest shaver of the Valet family, this modified version is now one of the mildest razors I own. For some reason, the modification process narrowed the blade gap. It now seems to shave best held completely flat against my face. You would think that’s way to shallow, but it still gives audible feedback that it’s clearing whiskers. I did find it harder to obtain a BBS though, especially on my soft, pliable neck skin. Much the same problem I always encountered with my EJ DE86.

Besides having to readjust my technique to the modification, the shave went well. I’m nice and smooth with no post shave irritations. My first ever splash of mentholated grapefruit...pretty neat. I’ll definitely use it during the hot summer.

Pay no attention to the Valet AutoStrop cigar cutter...it’s just a prop.

20210409_090331.jpg

Razor: Gillette 1968 N1 The Knack
Blade: Gillette King C. Gillette Platinum
Brush: Simpson Butterscotch Chubby 2 Synthetic
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Noble Otter Monarch
Aftershave: Gillette Series Cool Wave
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Imperial Leather Talcum Powder
A solid ten!:straight:

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
DE SOTD, Sat, April 10th

Razor: Gillette British Rocket SS- Mfg 1950's, nice milder mid range with a Kai blade. Great results usually.
Blade: Kai SS (3) excellent blade, sharp & smooth with excellent longevity. Wider than a standard Gillette blade by .009" or .0045" per side.
Soap: Razorock XXX - nice fresh scent when it dries down, excellent lather qualities.
Brush: Yaqi red Zebra handle 26mm- excellent lather generator, heavenly cloud like soft tips + gentle scrub + excellent lather painter. :001_wub:
Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on the cleaned beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave: Razorock XXX aftershave with witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm with witch hazel.
Results: 9/10 or CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers = :a17:Excellent shave with my Gillette British Rocket SS with a Kai SS blade.

DE SOTD, Fri, April 10th 2021.jpg

Have some great shaves! Stay & think safe in these times!

Razor Timeless SS .68 SB
Blade Wizamet Super Iridium (7 and done)
Brush PAA Peregrino Hybrid Bulb/Fan synthetic
Soap PAA F Bomb (Homage to Tom Ford's Fabulous)
As/Cologne PAA F Bomb

9.5/10 BBS
Pretty nice shave today. One minor irritation spot where I attacked a spot too much chasing BBS. PAA CK-6 soaps are really nice and this one smells good. I received several compliments from the LOTR about how nice I smell. F Bomb is a winner!

F Bomb.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom