What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

Quick Saturday shave, we have our 4 year-old grandson staying over, so not much time for my shave, 8/10- smooth and close:

Pre-shave: shower w/ the little guy
Razor: Feather DX Japanese style
Blade: Feather Pro (1)
Brush: Simpson Commodore X2 in best
Soap: Proraso Green
Post-shave: cold rinse, alum, Floid Vigoroso AS

Have a great day!

PXL_20210227_181123123.jpg

- Prep: Shower
- Brush: Shavemac Silvertip
- Razor: Gillette OC Tech (a New from the early 30’s? Dunno)
- Blade: Wizamet SI (1)
- Soap: Stirling Executive Man
- Aftershave: Nivea Sensitive balm
- Post Shave: Thayers Rose, Hyaluronic Acid, Alum block

Tried my old OC tech for the first time in ages and realized why I haven’t used it in a while. It‘s a very aggressive razor and left me with about a dozen weepers and a red face.

Can anyone confirm with this razor is? My guess is an early 30’s New Tech, but I forget.

6/10

9DBCD7C2-ADBF-4117-B033-95D1A1E34C77.jpeg
8F6D7A18-B25D-48FF-BE14-6945C70C33C8.jpeg

- Face Prep: Clinique for Men Face Soap.
- Pre-shave: Proraso Red.
- Soap: Stirling Spice.
- Bowl: Captain's Choice Ceramic (Cobalt).
- Brush: Art of Shaving Pure.
- Razor: Rockwell 6S/R4.
- Blade: Astra SP (5) and done.
- Aftershave: Clinique for Men Post Shave Soother.
- Accompaniment: AM radio via the Grundig AM/FM/SW.

Experience: Worst shave of my foray into DE shaving. Didn't meet goals either for closeness or comfort. I don't know if I stretched the blade one day too far, subconsciously applied too much pressure, or got bad lather, or...? Anyway, I had to grab the styptic for one nick and still have razor burn all over, some two hours later.

IMG_0216.JPG

Rating: 5/10

tempImageBc6KWc.jpg

Razor: Prewar Tech
Brush: RR Tricolore
Blade: Feather (1) *last one!*
Lather: Tabac
Mascot: Flicken Chicken

Loaded the Tabac nice and heavy today after going too light recently. Lots of great lather for four passes today. The shave wasn't that comfortable, from the start, however. The Feather blade felt just a bit harsh. ATG on the upper lip was almost a rare no-go; not sure if this is due to the decreased rigidity of the prewar Tech or the nature of the blade, or both. A few weepers appeared. Skin was a little irritated and raw-feeling afterwards. At least the result is decently close and my skin recovered quickly. Still, once this blade is done I'm not likely to order more. Flicken Chicken's assessment: "My feathers are naturally waterproof. No need for all that wax!"

Prep : warm shower / Bulldog original face wash
Pre shave : Proraso white
Brush : Proraso boar by Omega
Cream : Proraso white in a tube
Razor : Merkur 34 C
Blade : Asco Super stainless (1)

Result :

Second time using that type of blade, the first shave was rushed on the second pass creating quite a few nicks and weepers. First pass went on just fine not a single nicks, first time ever with a DE razor … yeah … Second pass was not so bad either I nick my throat twice on the same stroke and backed away from it. As a green wet shaver I would rather have no irritation / nicks redness and what’s not than a BBS face. as a result I have some subtle left over on the throat were a stroke is missing. Irritation is pretty much non existent except under the right side corner or my lips and really localized.

I have read multiple post stating that the journey became easier once the temptation to achieve BBS was away. This shave might prove that.

Next on Monday morning not sure of the blade to be used but I shall see

Quality of shave 7 out of 10
I certainly don't get a BBS all the time. I achieve it more often than I pursue it. I'm really glad when I get it though. Most often I go after a comfortable (taking time to build a good lather helps a lot there. )and close shave with no nicks or weepers or razor burn.
Thanks for keeping us posted on your journey. [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
Saturday morning shave

Razor: Greaves & Sons
Brush: Badger
Soap: TOBS Sandalwood

Awesome shave despite complete failure of my edge sharpness tests. Pleasantly surprised that last nights brief effort provided such good results. This razor feels really nice to shave with. Happy Saturday!
F4F6F24F-F54A-45F4-9ADB-4DA8525B2B71.jpeg

9/10

- Prep: Shower
- Brush: Shavemac Silvertip
- Razor: Gillette OC Tech (a New from the early 30’s? Dunno)
- Blade: Wizamet SI (1)
- Soap: Stirling Executive Man
- Aftershave: Nivea Sensitive balm
- Post Shave: Thayers Rose, Hyaluronic Acid, Alum block

Tried my old OC tech for the first time in ages and realized why I haven’t used it in a while. It‘s a very aggressive razor and left me with about a dozen weepers and a red face.

Can anyone confirm with this razor is? My guess is an early 30’s New Tech, but I forget.

6/10

View attachment 1229237View attachment 1229238
That isn't a Tech, it looks like a Gillette Goodwill. This is a pic from Mr. Razor's site
1614460359338.png

Soap: Arko
Razor: Le Grelot 6/8
Brush: Omega boar
Aftershave: Osage Rub
Balm: Nivea Sensitive

Straight shave #28

Weeper on my upper lip on the second pass. Wouldn't say it was a "cut", but I did feel it. Decent overall closeness. Again tried an ATG feeler on parts of my neck but wimped out haha. Some aftershave sting but doesn't look like I ended up with any irritation.

9/10.

Proraso Pre Shave White
PAA Atomic Age Bay Rum CK6
Simpsons Chubby 2 Super Brush
Captains Choice Copper Lather Bowl
Gillette Tech Y4
Treet platinum Blade (0)
WTG + XTG - did the job
Shave Nation Alum Stick
PAA Atomic Age Bay Rum After Shave

I rate today's shave a 9.5/10, really great!
With this mild razor and blade, coupled with the CK-6, I experienced a smooth and comfortable shave. No wonder the Tech was and is still a fantastic daily commuter.
proxy.php

Sent from Banjo_Billy using Tapatalk

My Saturday Afternoon Shave
Prep: Warm shower​
Strop: Tony Miller Premium Steerhide Smooth w/ Linen​
Two pass shave: WTG, ATG/XTG​
Razor: Ralf Aust 6/8" Full Hollow Spanish Point - Olivewood​
Pre-Shave Cream: Proraso White Cream For Sensitive Skin, Green Tea & Oat​
Brush: Semogue 1305 Pure Bristle Boar​
Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat Shaving Soap w/ Ceramic Bowl​
Facial Toner: Lucky Tiger After Shave and Face Tonic​
Aftershave Balm: Pre de Provence - Bergamot & Thyme After Shave Balm w/ Shea Butter​
9.8/10 DFS! A very close shave! No irritation!
  • Kind of eclectic pairings today
  • I usually use Thatchers when shaving and either use Lucking Tiger or Thatchers after non-shaving face washing, but decided to mix it up today
  • A couple of nicks that disappeared with my rinse
  • I am loving this razor!
  • I decided to include my hair-grooming items in today's photo in honor of approaching the one-year anniversary (March 7th) of my last haircut. Pre COVID/China flu, I kept my hair really short - and did so for literally decades. Due to the current pandemic, I have not had a haircut nor trim nor neck hair shave since then.
    • Ironically, in the past, my wife has complained urged me to let my hair grow out a little more. I think she is now cured of that notion....
proxy.php

Sun 28th SOTD
Soap Van Yulay Puros La Habana
Brush Yaqi 26mm Moka Express Badger
Razor Gillette Fatboy F4
Blade Gillette London Bridge 3rd Use
Post & Aftershaves Ice Water + Thayers + Hyaluronic + Clubman Whisky Wood
2nd use of this soap and man...the scent is really something. It's lasting too as I can still smell it a few hours later. I am liking it more & more. Performance is okok only.
Best ever shave with this vintage razor and blade pairing. Very crisp, felt so smooth and comfortable. 3passes at setting 9-9-7 for a very close mostly bbs result. The pleasure was enhanced by the aftershave...really wow! Rating 10/10!!
20210228_103953.jpg

Vintage feather head on timeless handle
Gillette minora pink wrapper (2)
AOS sandalwood pre shave
AOS Oud shaving cream
Acne face wash then blackhead scrub
Cold rinse, alum block
Cold rinse, Proraso green aftershave

overall 9.5/10 BBS shave
Great shave, mild razor sharp blade is always a great combination. Still a little mindless but with a nice drinking buzz that’s all fine by me haha.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 3
Soap: Wilkinson puck (blue tub)
Brush: Mühle Silvertip fibre M
Razor: Merkur 38C
Blade: Mühle (1st shave)
AS: Nivea Men - Sensitive - after shave balm

After two days of exceptionally good shaves, not so fantastic today. Several red dots on the chin after the ATG pass. Alum slightly stinging all over.

score: 6 after 2 passes

Sunday - another bright morning.

Vintage Hobson of Leamington 6/8 round point straight razor
Zenith 506 black horse brush
Stirling "Evergreen Forest" soap
Marks and Spencer "Woodspice" (green) aftershave

I'm always pleased when the Hobson comes round in the razor rotation - that edge (the first decent one I put on a vintage blade) is still going well, and the idea of using something that was around a long time before I was (I don't have a precise date, but it's been estimated as late nineteenth century) is a fine feeling.

Turned out to be something of a Zenith 500 series weekend - not by intention : that's just the way it happened (I normally use a different type of brush each day, and I have more badgers than boar or synth and more of those than horses, so it was going to occur at some point). No bad thing, that - it's one of my favourite brushes. Nice combination of pine wood smells this morning.

Smooth and comfortable - I'm going to be rubbing my face most of the day just for the hell of it. The bit on the point of the chin is DFS rather than BBS, but I'm going to round up again and give it another "10".

Top Bottom