What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

Hart Steel/Bruce Gregory
WK Spice Vitae
Yaqi 24mm Sagrada Familia
Tony Miller Horween Strop
Jnat Shobu Finish
Thayers
Pinaud Clubman
20210226_060129.jpg

1/4 hollow clears things up nicely this morn. happy Friday.

be well all.

camo

26 February 2021

No picture today

Prep:
Pear Soap facewash using Omega 11126 brush
Razor:
WCS 84S
Soap:
Proraso Green shave cream (using distilled water)
Brush:
Gray Dog
Blade:
Lord Platinum Shave #3
Passes:
WTG then ATG
Cleanup:
Rinsed and dried face, Witch Hazel, and then an Alum rub down.
Aftershave:
Pinaud Clubman Bay Rum
Rating:
10.0 BBS Again, no stubble, nicks, or weepers.

The Medically-Induced-Beard-Off, brought to you by:
View attachment 1228333
Today it was time for about 12 days of growth to finally be shaved. I had a procedure on the right side of my face which prevented me from shaving before and after, for a while. Hence, the "Medically Induced Beard."

I went for a showdown of open combs to take down the beard, and then finished everything off with the postwar Tech.

Razors: New SC, FOCS, Postwar Tech
Blade: Gillette Platinum
Lather: Tabac
Brush: Razorock Tricolore synthetic
Aftershave Splash: Proraso Green
Balm: Nivea cooling

The New SC was up first on the left side, and it was obvious from the beginning this was going to be stiff competition for the FOCS. The SC required short strokes and plenty of rinsing due to the amount of stubble, but it was such a great tool for the job. It's heft and rigidity both made it a fine implement.

The FOCS took over for the right side, and didn't fare as well. It seemed to want to slide over everything rather than really cut efficiently. Overall, I realize I should have tried a steeper angle with both razors, since that would have put the blade more at the skin level rather than possibly catching hairs higher up above the skin. This razor, being a slant, also made it tough to line up the sideburn and negotiate the area that is healing up without disturbing it.

So I switched the blade back to the New SC and took care of the mustache and goatee area without incident. Then the baton was handed to the Tech for a WTG and XTG pass to wrap it up.

Having a beard for the first time in 10 years recalibrated my sensitivity to having whiskers around; so I didn't even try for a really close shave. Even a DFS almost everywhere felt like glass by comparison! It was great to shave again. I won't even put a number on this one.

Lessons: the New SC is awesome at this task and I was glad to actually get to put an open comb to its intended use. Better still would have been my Feather SS shavette, but I didn't want to mess around with it today. Better even still would have been to start with electric clippers, which I would definitely do the next time I have a Medically Induced Beard, or any other kind, that needs to disappear! I can cross this off my shaving bucket list and just do it the efficient way next time.

Happy shaves, all!
Glad to see you recovered.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Rating: 10/10
Pre-Shave: Cold water splash - Pinaud Clubman Classic Barber Shave Cream (brushless - applied by hand)
Soap: PAA Space Nog (CK-6 formula)
Brush: Fendrihan Tuxedo synthetic
Razor: Karve Brass OC (Plate B)
Blade: Derby Premium (2)
Post-Shave: Cold water splash - Thayers lemon scented Witch Hazel - Lucky Tiger aftershave tonic
AS: PAA Space Nog Star Jelly

No shave yesterday...had to rise very early and take my bride for a procedure at the hospital. All came out good, thanks be to God. This morning's shave was stellar. Karve OC mowed down the two days of growth like a John Deere through a field of wheat...or something like that. DFS/BBS bloodless and injury free result. Pinaud Clubman Classic Barber Shave Cream is the new pre-shave product. Works a bit better than the OPR actually although I miss that convenient pump. Hmmm...there's a decision waiting to happen. Something smells good in here...it's two kid astronauts paddling through a lake of Eggnog infused Bay Rum! How does PAA come up with these things?

Happy Shaves, Everyone!

Kit 20210226.jpg

Last edited:

JCarr

- Prep: Shower
- Brush: Simpson Emperor 3
- Razor: Like Grandpa Grooming (Karve B plate)
- Blade: Polsilver SI (3)
- Soap: Stirling Executive Man
- Aftershave: Stirling Mountain Man AS
- Post Shave: Thayers Rose, Hyaluronic Acid

Excellent smooth shave.

Polsilvers are fantastic blades. Too bad they are so expensive and I don’t have many left. Wizamets seem to be the same (or close enough) which is good. 👍

Really digging the Like Grandpa. Not sure it is better than my Rockwell 6S, so I am using both interchangeably. Happy problem. 😁

The Simpson Emperor 3 Super is a bit small for me, but it is a great face lathering brush. Splays very well and is super soft with good backbone.

9.5/10View attachment 1228427

Where did you get that handle? Beautiful!

JCarr

Fri 26th SOTD
Soap The Goodfellas Smile Abysso
Brush Yaqi 24mm Silvertip
Razor Yaqi DLC
Blade KAI 4th (Mysterious KAI Blades PIF Participation)
Post & Aftershaves Ice Water + Thayers + Hyaluronic + TGS Abysso
Good soap. Nice scent and strength. Quality and performance are very satisfactory too...
Shave with razor paired with the blade is still good but noticeably reduced smoothness and efficiency. Still comfortable for 3passes for a mostly bbs to dfs result with 1 micro creeper. Rating 9.7/10
View attachment 1228505
View attachment 1228508

It's the Abysso Scary Skeleton! Great stuff! Nice setup.

Soap: PdP 63
Brush: Omega boar
Razor: Gillette Slim
Blade: Gillette Platinum
AS: Ghost Town Barber

First time trying Pre de Provence. Easy to lather, good performance. Was not expecting the scent to linger so long, but it plays very nice with the Ghost Town Barber. I feel like it was a little drying, but I may not have used enough water. $10 well spent. 2 pass no fuss shave.
9/10
D984E7A7-52CD-4237-85FA-6A46061D20CA.jpeg

Razor: Parker 92R TTO
Blade: Personna Blue Hospital Use (1)
Brush: Dr. Shaving, Extra Density
28mm Silvertip
Bowl: Captain's Choice Ceramic

Soap: Barrister & Mann, Lime, Lavender &
Cedarwood

Cold water rinse
Dickinson's Enhanced Witch Hazel
Red Cedar aftershave splash

A very good shave today. One possible mishap was averted. I like to choke up on razor handles. This razor's opening mechanism is near the head. I had to re-tighten during the shave. All in all an excellent result.

Have a great day everyone [emoji3]
proxy.php

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

Prep : warm shower / Bulldog original face wash
Pre shave : Proraso white
Brush : Proraso boar by Omega
Cream : Proraso white in a tube
Razor : Merkur 34 C
Blade : Derby Extra Super Stainless (0)

Result :

First time using the derby, I shave the throat chin and then cheeks to see if that would help. 1st pass was fine 1 tiny nick on the chin, second pass was so so with quite a few more nicks all taking care off by the alum block , still needs to work on my technic. Not quite sure if I like the blade or not, on one hand the shave was not as close as the Asco,king c Gillette or astra but irritation was very minimal for a very short time this will need a repeat. I have many blade coming in from a generous PIF, among them are some Voshkod that I am really interested in trying. I also bough a pack of BIC Chromium, trying to find what could be described as gentle sharp blade if that even exist

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Splashed hot wateron face.
Tried even less lathering, literally three turns over the top of the puck of MdC Fougere with the Kent BK4 and bingo, much more perfect lather than I would need for three passes!
Three passes with a Personna Platinum (7) in an AS-D2.
4711 cologne as aftershave.
Supremely comfortable
28768D06-4C06-4CBE-AABC-53CBAE15ADFD.jpeg
and BBS. 10

Pre-shave (in order of use)
- Clinique for Men Charcoal Face Wash
- Jack Black Face Buff Energizing Scrub
- Truefitt and Hill Pre-Shave Oil
- Cella Bio (tub)

Post-shave (in order of use)
- Omega Alum Block
- Simple Kind to Skin Alcohol Free Soothing Facial Toner
- Hylamide Low-Molecular Hyaluronic acid
- Jack Black Protein Booster Skin Serum
- Body Shop Maca Root & Aloe Cooling Post-Shave Water Gel
- Jack Black Double Duty Face Moisturiser

Tools
- Edwin Jagger DE86
- Israeli Red (3)
- Antica Barberia Mondial Boar

Shave Rating: 9/10
It's Friday, the sun is out and I had another great shave with this razor and blade combination. Sharp and smooth and closer than the last shave with it (not sure why). Cella performed to its usual high standards and the cooling effect of the Body Shop Post Shave Water Gel was just what I needed on a sunny day!

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
SOTD, Fri, Feb 26th 2021

Razor: Kai style AC shavette- Mfg 2018> excellent razor to learn with, well built zamik razor IMO.
Blade: Kai Protouch guarded:001_wub: (6) excellent blade and forgiving. Sharp & smooth for a close shave!
Soap: Razorock Irish country side- mild scent with excellent lather qualities.
Brush: Yaqi rainbow 26mm brown whiskers- excellent lather generator, cloud like soft tips with a nice scrub + great lather painter.
Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear aloe Vera gel on cleaned beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 3 + pickups. WTG + 2X ATG + pickups.
Post shave: Razorock Emperor with witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm.
Results: 9/10 or CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers = :a17: excellent shave with my Kai style(Luffy) shavette + Protouch guarded blade.

SOTD, Fri, Feb 26th 2020.jpg

Have some great shaves! Stay and think safe in these times!

Top Bottom