What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

J.R. Torrey Co.
Tabac
Semogue 820
Tony Miller Horween Strop
Jnat Shobu Finish
Tabac AS
Tabac EDC
20210223_055753.jpg

a fine Torrey Tuesday it is!!!!

be well all.

camo

Razor: Muhle R41
Blade: Gillette-Wilkinson Sword (3)
Brush: Vie-Long Horse, 24mm
Bowl: Timeless Razor Plastic Blue

Soap: D.R. Harris, Marlborough

PAA Briar Aftershave Splash

A really great shave this morning. Third shave with the R41 and this blade and it went so well I only did two passes and no touch-up. I like the scent of D.R. Harris Marlborough and with PAA's Briar aftershave splash I get to smell like pipe tobacco while enjoying my coffee.
9.5/10
Have a great day everyone [emoji3]
proxy.php

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

1614085333925.jpeg

Brush: Chisel & Hound / 26mm V7 Fanchurian
Soap: The Club - Chasing the Dragon
Razor: Rockwell 6C / R4
Blade: Astra SP

9/10: CTD is my only K2 soap. I love the performance of the soap, but I fear that the fragrances of this scent irritate me a little. What should by any other metric be a 10 is knocked down because this post-shave isn’t quite settling the way Kaizen does (and hasn’t in the past either).

23 February 2021
20210223_054524_HDR.jpg

Prep:
Pear Soap facewash using Omega 11126 brush
Razor:
WCS 84S
Soap:
Proraso Green shave cream (using distilled water)
Brush:
Gray Dog
Blade:
Rapira Shave #5 and out
Passes:
WTG then ATG
Cleanup:
Rinsed and dried face, Witch Hazel, and then an Alum rub down.
Aftershave:
Pinaud Clubman Bay Rum
Rating:
9.0 CCS Today’s shave left some stubble, but no nicks or weepers. Yesterday, the blade felt fine. Perhaps my facial hair turned to a steel texture overnight. Any way off to a Lord Platinum tomorrow.

Not today, but yesterday -- a 36-hour beard, late afternoon shave

'62 Gillette Slim, Personna Red blade (4)

Proraso Green cream

AP Shave Co. synthetic brush

Clubman SR aftershave, Assured lotion, Clubman powder

Got home from work and decided, why not. Washed my face with soap and water; a little Tabac as a pre-shave; then loaded the brush with Proraso and face-lathered. This was my 4th shave on this blade, my attempt to see if I can comfortably extend the use of my blade. With the Slim at 6, WTG on cheeks and throat; down to 4, lower lip, then ATG on cheeks and throat; finally down to 3m lower lip again, then XTG and cleanup on the throat. It seemed as though the blade had lost some efficiency or sharpness, because I found myself going back over parts of my throat a second time -- a recipe usually for irritation or nicks. None this time, and pretty near BBS, but I don't think going more than 2-3 shaves on this blade is a good idea . . . at least not in this razor.

Verdict: 9.4.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Rating: 10/10
Pre-Shave: Cold water splash - OPR Bay Rum shave soap (Almost gone!)
Soap: TOBS St. James Cream
Brush: Maggards Timberwolf synthetic kit brush
Razor: Karve Brass OC (Plate B)
Blade: Derby Premium (1)
Post-Shave: Cold water splash - Bay Rum scented Witch Hazel - Lucky Tiger aftershave tonic
AS: Bootlegger's Bay Rum splash

Excellent results this morning from this known setup. The OPR Bay Rum soap that I use as a slickener pre-shave is almost gone...maybe another two or three uses at most. Will be switching to the brushless Pinaud Clubman Classic Barber shave cream next. It's ready and waiting to go! One thing this sabbatical has done...it's made me use up what I have. Although, my nerve is really being tested lately. Good thing Lent is here...one of the things I'm giving up is buying new shaving stuff. I pulled TOBS St. James, WSP Blackbeard and Old Spice shave cream as the next three soaps/creams that I'm going to concentrate on using up...so I'll be hitting those more than any of my other soaps/creams. Low light picture this morning.

Happy Shaves, Everyone!

Kit 20210223.jpg

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
DE SOTD, Tue, Feb 23rd 2021

Razor: Everready 1924(AKA Sledge hammer)MFG 1924-33, excellent mid range>,different way of loading a Gem blade(base plate level works for myself)I can receive very close shaves with the 1924 without to much drama. I enjoy using this once in a while!
Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE (2) excellent blade, very sharp, smooths out nicely, great longevity & predictable.
Soap: Cyril R Salter Indian sandal wood- nice scent with good lather qualities. Good post shave feel.
Brush: Yaqi tuxedo knot 24mm black marble handle :001_wub: - excellent lather generator, cloud like soft tip, nice scrub & lather painter.
Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on cleaned beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave: Proraso red sandal wood with witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm.
Results: 9.5/10 or CCS,DFS,BBs + no irritation + 2 small chin weepers =:a17:excellent shave with my ER 1924 with a coated gem blade.

DE SOTD, Tue, Feb 23rd 2021.jpg

Have some great shaves! Stay & think safe in these times!

Razor: Ever-Ready - 1914 (Little Lather Catcher)
Blade: GEM - Carbon (4)
Brush: Yaqi: Barber Pole 30mm
Pre-Shave: Innisfree - Jeju Volcanic Pore Cleansing Foam
Lather: Tabac Original
Aftershave: Taconic Unscented (Balm)
D774E30A-E448-4B83-A6C6-6BB3F20DDD15.jpeg

Shave Rating: 9.9/10
Deja Vu all over again
This is my second shave in a row with an Ever-Ready 1914, but two different razors. I kinda got caught up in my eBay bidding, but that’s another story.
My first observation is that a tarnished and scratched up 1914 shaves exactly the same as a nice shiny one.
I got another super duper close BBS from that GEM Carbon blade. These suckers are sharp like their SS PTFE cousins and get more face friendly as you use them. Luckily I have the means to lay a strop on my carbons and PTFEs whereas most users rely on their faces to do the stropping for the first three or four shaves. None the less, I can feel that super close shave (glow) all over my face.

I hadn’t had my giant 30mm Yaqi out for a while, but it was a lot of fun for a Tabac face lathering.
Since I have two ER 1914s, I think I’d like to find a baton handle to use on one of them.

“salutant te qui ad radi”

- Face Prep: Clinique for Men Face Soap.
- Pre-shave: Proraso Red.
- Soap: Stirling Spice.
- Bowl: Captain's Choice Ceramic (Cobalt Blue)
- Brush: Simpson's #58.
- Razor: Rockwell 6S/R4.
- Blade: Astra SP (1).
- Aftershave: Clinique for Men Post Shave Soother.
- Accompaniment: AM radio via the Grundig AM/FM/SW.

Experience: Tested my technique today. After a close shave yesterday, which had me working today with what amounted to a slight 5 O'clock shadow, I went with the R4 and a new Astra blade. Though I know the R4 is still a mild set, it has produced weepers in the past, so I knew I had to take care. The Astra mowed the low stubble down with no drag or chatter, and I'm left with a DCS that will give me just a bit more to shave tomorrow. No blood, no stingers, and no regrets. I think I can just leave the R4 up from now on.

Rating: 9.8/10

The aftermath:
IMG_0206.jpg

Pre Shave: Warm Shower, PAA Unscented Cube, Crown Pre Shave Gel
Razor: OneBlade Genesis
Blade: Feather FHS 10 (1)
Soap: B&M Reserve Cool
Bowl: Georgetown Pottery G-20 Scuttle
Brush: RazoRock/Zenith 506UK Olive Wood Handle Boar
Post Shave:
Cold Water Rinse, Thayers Unscented Witch Hazel, Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm, Proraso Red AS
Rating: 10/10 Nice 2 1/2 pass BBS shave. No weepers, cuts or irritation. Nice mindless shave. Will have to work harder at making lather with the RazoRock brush, lather was somewhat runny, but still slick.

20210222_093215.jpg

Razor: Rex Supply Ambassador
Blade: Feather Hi Stainless
Brush: Frank Shaving G4 Synthetic striped handle
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Long Rifle Bay Rhum
Aftershave: Pinaud Virgin Islands Bay Rum
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Imperial Leather Talcum Powder
Rating Ten
As good as it gets!