What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

Sat shve 1.jpg

Pre
Face wash with Neutrogena Liquid Facial Soap
Soap
GD Amare
Brush
Paladin Lotus
Razor
Karve
Blade
Personna Lab
Aftershave
Thayers Rose Petal WH & Neutrogena Triple Protect
Fragrance
Jimmy Choo Man Intense
Rating
10/10.

Soap: Arko
Razor: Gold Dollar
Brush: Omega 10077
Aftershave: Lilac Vegetal
Balm: Nivea Sensitive

Straight shave #4. 2 full WTG passes, and 3rd pass even went XTG on cheeks. Not nearly as patchy with the stubble this morning! Still some bits here and there on part of my chin, but slowly improving on that aspect. Could have cleaned up a little better on one of my sideburns. Just leaving things as is and not asking for too much for a while because this is so new to me.

Mistakes- Lost "grip" when stretching my skin around my adams apple and drew first blood with the straight. Not a bad one. I should have kept the 3rd pass to just my cheeks and ignored giving my neck another go. Feeling more comfortable with the strop, and really taking my time with it, but after this shave for whatever reason I turned the blade towards the strop instead of up and around, and put another nick in it. VERY glad I only paid $12 bucks for it.

Might have tried to progress slightly further than I should have. Next shave I'll still do 3 passes, 2 WTG, but my 3rd XTG pass will solely be the cheeks.

8/10

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
SOTD, Sat, Jan 23rd 2021

Razor: Valet C1 auto-strop, Canadian Variant- MFG 1920's, original gap .011" and changed it .007" to mellow it out. I really liked this change I did a couple of years ago and enjoy this shave. Todays blades are possibly sharper than yrs that have gone by?
Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE (2)modified, excellent blade, very sharp and smooths out nicely over uses, great longevity.
Soap: Speick- mild spicy scent with great lather qualities, post shave feel average.
Brush: Yaqi Chianti's 24mm knot, excellent lather creator with heavenly like soft tips, nice back bone for a gentle scrub and great lather painter.
Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on cleaned beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave: Razorock American barber with witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm.
Results: 9.5/10 or CCS,DFS,BbS + no irritation + no weepers = :a17: Excellent shave with my C1 Valet Auto-strop + a Gem modified coated blade.

SOTD, Sat, Jan 23rd 2021.jpg

Have some great shaves! Stay & think safe in these times.

This was a day of trying some new items:

Pre Shave: Warm shower, PAA Unscented Cube Face Wash, Crown Pre Shave Gel
Razor: OneBlade Genesis
Blade: Feather FHS-10 (1)
Brush: Stirling Boar
Soap: PAA CK6 Cad
Post Shave: Stypic Pencil, Cold water rinse, Thayers Unscented Witch Hazel, Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm, TOBS Sandalwood AS
Rating: 10/10 Excellent three pass BBS shave. One weeper my fault, no irritation and no cuts. Excellent Shave! I'll say it again, "it just works"! Broke in the Boar brush by washing in Dawn, soaking for 3 hours in Dawn, two lathers letting sit on brush, one was overnight. Brush was a little scritchy, but not bad at all. Brush lost over a dozen bristles between yesterday and today. PAA cube and Cad soap worked well, nice lather from Cad soap.

New shave stick today - Arko

Razor : RazoRock Game Changer OC 84
Blade : Gillette 7 O'clock Permaaharp (2)
Soap : Arko stick
Brush : Omega 10005
Aftershave : Anherb ASC

This was the first time I've ever used a shave stick.
I under used it, so there was no lather while face lathering, then I re applied the Arko stick and lather started forming.

But due to multiple attempts on lathering, there was more water in the boar brush, that caused a runny lather, but slickness was exceptional.
No cut, irritation and DFS.

Rating : 7/10

IMG_20210123_211224.jpg

20210122_084741.jpg

Razor: Gillette The New Long Comb Federal Set, Ball End
Blade: The Blade (Personna) Stainless Steel
Brush: Simpson's Butterscotch Chubby 2 Synthetic
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Noble Otter Monarch
Aftershave: Maurer and Wirtz 4711
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Imperial Leather Talcum Powder
Rating: :thumbup:

IMG_20210123_200129.jpg

Cold water shave | Simpson Trafalgar T3 | TSF Granducato Toscano | RR GC 0.84 + Nacet | alum + Aloe Gel + DRH Arlington

Another test shave with the Gamechanger, this time with the sharpest blade I have. This one was a bit rough, perhaps the blade is too sharp... some irritation on the neck and some weepers on the trouble spot in the neck. I really had high hopes for this razor, but so far I've been a bit disappointed. Perhaps the lack of blade feel is affecting my technique.

Despite irritations, the shave is BBS-close. The combination of the herby scent of the TSF soap and the citrus-fern of Arlington is great!

7/10

Saturday's morning shave- two-pass, 9.8/10, fine result, no nicks, weepers, or irritation.

Pre-shave:
just a normal shower, and then a wetted face
Razor: Feather AC SS Japanese style in wine- the small difference in blade exposure between the Feather SS (about .2mm less) and the DX makes a difference. If someone were to want to start on Artist Club razors, I would recommend the SS design.
Blade: Feather Pro (1)- New blade, so I took it easy and all was well
Brush: Zenith Euro- definitely a budget brush but it's working better.
Soap: @SliceOfLife PIF- Nice lather today, this soap feels like nice classic tallow soap.
Post shave: cool rinse, Aubrey's Spice Island AS- I picked this up some years ago on sale at Whole Foods, it's been discontinued. It has alcohol, witch hazel, aloe, bay and few other goodies. I think it's discontinued.
PXL_20210123_183416199.jpg

Great shaves for all!

Pre-shave (in order of use)
- Clinique for Men Charcoal Face Wash
- Sukin Pore Refining Exfoliating Facial Scrub
- Clinique for Men Exfoliating Tonic
- King of Shaves Advanced Shave Oil
- Saponificio Bignoli Indian Sandalwood (Sample)

Post-shave (in order of use)
- Omega Alum Block
- The Ordinary Hyaluronic acid
- Jack Black Protein Booster Skin Serum
- Truefitt & Hill Sandalwood Aftershave Balm (sample)
- Jack Black Double Duty Face Moisturiser

Tools
- Wilkinson Sword Sticky
- Wilkinson Sword Classic (2)
- Omega Pro 49

Shave Rating: 7.5/10
Another great lather from the SP sample, I hopefully have enough for another two shaves before I go back into my soap rotation.
A better shave with the Wilkinson Sword combination, but I still find the blade too dull to pair with this razor for a close shave, even on its second shave.

Today's shave

Razor: GEM 1912
Blade: GEM PTFE (1)
Soap: Mike's Orange, Cedarwood and Black Pepper
Brush: Yaqi 24mm Purple Haze Mew Brown synthetic
Aftershave: Grey Flannel

Rating: 10/10

I realized I hadn't used any of my SE razors in quite a while so I pulled out one of my GEM 1912's, the result was a fine BBS!

Have a great weekend folks!

- Prep: Hot washcloth
- Brush: Spiffo Manchurian
- Razor: Gillette Red Tip SS
- Blade: Wizamet SI (2)
- Soap: PdP No.63
- Aftershave: PdP No.63 balm
- Post Shave: Thayers Rose and Hyaluronic Acid

First shave with my new Spiffo. Excellent brush with the biggest bloom I have ever seen in a 24mm knot. Holds a ton of lather but it needs to be broken in. Very soft tips and very dense. Think it’s a keeper.

Wizamets continue to be a favourite but no more than 3 shaves from a blade for me. #63? Excellent as usual!

9/10

Top Bottom