What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
SOTD, Thur, Jan 21 2021, Still enjoying testing the Razorock Lupo .72 as a daily driver. Day 6 of 7 or more.

Razor: Razorock Lupo.72, 2nd generation- MFG 2021,Excellent razor, smooth carefree and highly efficient, very impressed so far.
Blade: Gillette Astra SP- Excellent blade, Sharp & smooth with great longevity. I use this blade for comparing new blades and razors because it's my standard. First blade to buy 100 pcs and used the most when first traditional shaving. There are better blades but it is a good gauge to know that conclusion.
Soap: Ogallala Bayrum & Sandal wood- nice Bayrum & Sandal wood combination with clove in the scent, excellent lather qualities.
Brush: Razorock Plissoft 24mm synthetic, one of my more used brushes over 4 yrs time, excellent lather creator, soft tips good lather painter & scrub.
Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on the cleaned beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave: Witch hazel + Ogallala bayrum & sandal wood with clove :001_wub:+ a dollop of Nivea balm.
Results:10/10 or CCS,DFS,BBs + no irritation + no weepers = :a17:Excellent Stellar shave with my RR 2nd Generation Lupo with a Astra SP blade.

SOTD, Thur, Jan 21st 2021.jpg

Have some excellent shaves! Stay & think safe in these times!

Soap: Williams
Razor: Gold Dolla / Cleaned up with the Rolls razor
Brush: Omega Pro 49
Aftershave: Stirling Duke
Balm: Nivea Sensitive

2nd straight razor shave. Did "almost" 2 full WTG passes. Really took my time, and it felt pretty good. Avoided an area of irritation on my neck which makes me look a little funny, but whatever. Didn't draw any blood until my cleanup pass with the Rolls, which was ironic. Experienced a little bit of post-shave irritation, but on my cleanup pass the lather started to disappear on me like my first girlfriend. Face felt fine after rinsing my face after my straight passes however, which was pretty cool.

Blade still felt nice and sharp, so I haven't screwed up the edge while stropping yet. *knock on wood*.

I'm sure I'll get bored later in the day and attempt to practice a few strops and put a nick in my strop or something...
Oh wait that already happened today.

8/10

20210120_082841.jpg

Razor: Schick K4 Lady Eversharp yellow injector razor
Blade: Schick Injector Twin
Brush: Rubberset 203 in Super Badger
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Fine American Blend
Aftershave: Aqua Velva Classic Ice Blue
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Imperial Leather Talcum Powder
Rating 9.5

21/01/2021

IMG_20210121_185157.jpg

Proraso Pre White | Yaqi Timberwolf | Stirling Noir Soap | RR Gamechanger .84 SB + G. Plats | Aloe Vera Gel and Stirling Noir

I got today a Gamechanger and I tried this evening on a 24h stubble.

Usual prep of shower, cold water after and proraso pre. Great yoghurt-like lather with Stirling (I cannot stress how much I love the Noir scent, too much! probably my favourite soap so far).
I found the razorock smooth and moderately efficient, although I probably would have preferred a tad more blade feel to gauge pressure a bit better. It will make a very nice daily driver, I'm sure. The quality and finishing put it on another level than the other cheap tools I have, but probably I would still go to my r41 or fatip for a more exciting shave (mostly for the blade feel :biggrin1:).
I still have to do the round with all the other blades I use, perhaps the pairing is not quite right yet.

But all in all, great shave nonetheless.

3 passes + touchups (WTG, XTG, ATG) on 24h growth

BBS- (got a couple of tiny weepers because of touchups without soap eheh)

8.75 / 10

1611253929045.png

Rating: 5 / 5

Razor: Muhle Rocca R95
Blade: Gillette 7 O’Clock SharpEdge (yellow)
Brush: Semogue 830
Lather: Mitchell’s Wool Fat
Aftershave: Dior Eau Sauvage

I've got lots of razors that shave great, but I don't think any gets such consistently super close + low drama results as this Rocca, especially when paired with a SharpEdge or Nacet. BBS; no irritation. The only downside is I won't be able to shave tomorrow morning--there'll be nothing to remove.

Last edited:
Razor: GEM Micromatic Open Comb, chrome plated, with the two bumps on the baseplate
Blade: GEM by Personna SS PTFE (7)
Brush: Muhle Silvertip Fibre synthetic, medium size
Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat
Rating: 9.75

Afternoon shave on 3 days of growth. Easy BBS everywhere (except on the Adam's apple) after WTG/XTG/ATG passes. No burning, irritation, or cuts. On shave #7 with this blade, I did start to notice a little dragging and scraping instead of cutting, but I will see how many more shaves I can get from it. The Muhle brush worked much better with the MWF soap than the Omega Baby Pro brush that I used last time.

Razor: Weber safety bar stainless polished head, with stainless Weber bulldog handle; "vintage" since Weber is out of production
Blade: US Personna "lab blue" in the blue wrapper, from 2014, I think (shaves 2 and 3 while on the road)
Brush: Omega Sintex synthetic
Soap: Arko stick
Rating: 9.0 and 7.5

Saturday 1/16 shave on almost three days of growth. Near BBS after WTG/XTG/ATG passes. Slight burning and irritation, and a small nick under the lower lip. Rating 9.0.

Monday 1/18 shave on two days of growth. Not quite BBS after WTG/XTG/ATG passes. Much burning and irritation and a bloodfest of nicks and cuts after a day of windburn. Arko didn't seem to agree with my skin this time. Rating: 7.5

For those of you who have used Speick or Tabac shave sticks: how well do they protect windburned or sunburned skin? I like the Tabac puck, but I have never used the stick. Thanks in advance.

Thursday morning shave- two-pass, 9.7/10, nice result, no nicks, weepers, or irritation.

Razor: Feather AC SS Japanese style
Blade: Proline P-30 (6)-
it still shaved
Brush: Unidentified Badger- this brush was in the cupboard and I can't recall who made it for me. I think his first name was Tim and he was active here a while ago. Can anyone identify the maker for me? I added a picture of the artist's signature.
Soap: The Club Novelist- lather was nice and the spice scent was strong and pleasing
Post shave: cool rinse, Avon Wild Country

Have a great day all!

PXL_20210121_183732312.jpg
PXL_20210121_183806224.jpg

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
Thursday Shave

Razor: Game Changer .68 OC
Blade: Feather
Soap: Proraso Red
Brush: Semogue 2000 Boar (really love this brush)

I had to shave with my off hand today due to gout arthritis in my left elbow, which leaves my arm and hand incapacitated, and in severe pain. However, I did manage to have an excellent three pass shave nonetheless.

9/10

20210121_143535_kindlephoto-54306089.jpg

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
Thursday morning shave

Razor: Alfred J. Kranks
Brush: Boar
Soap: TOBS Sandalwood

Excellent shave. I’ve been using some nimble 4/8 SR’s the last few days that I put back in rotation. They do the job admirably and are often fun to wield. I find TOBS very nourishing for my skin, post shave feel is excellent .
Happy Thursday!

C6D73EAE-1BD8-4232-8B49-3D1F53C06991.jpeg

9/10

decided to join the living today:

Thiers-Issard
B&M Seville
B&M 22mm Tuxedo Synth
Tony Miller Strop
Jnat Shobu Finish
B&M Seville AS Balm
B&M Seville EDT

20210121_153751.jpg

TI plows through multiple days growth like nothing. 1st time using their flagship scent. very nice indeed.

be well all.

camo

- Prep: Hot washcloth
- Brush: Simpson Colonel
- Razor: Rockwell 6S
- Blade: Treet Platinum Super Stainless (1)
- Soap: B&M Hallows
- Aftershave: B&M Hallows balm
- Post Shave: Thayers Rose and Hyaluronic Acid

My world tour of blades took me to Pakistan today and the Treet Platinum SS is a good blade. Really really good. On the milder side but very smooth. My first time trying these blades and I will be buying more even though I have enough blades to outlast me. These are dirt cheap even in Canada ($7/100).

My workhorse Colonel continues to perform well. Never loses a hair and holds as much lather as I could possibly need.

Excellent Shave.

9.5/10

Hot Shower

Nacet (1) used Nacet when I first started did not like them, my technique was bad, technique better, Nacet Good!

Australian Mallee Burl with a 24mm SHD 2 Band from Maggard, gives that pillow feel that my Chubby 2 does but with a little scratchiness.

Ethos Greenfresh 2nd day in a row using it, it was even better today, could have done 5 passes, no moisturizer afterwards, and slick

Timeless SS .95 gap with Scalloped edge, Polished. Using my newly acquired Ti Polished
14x85mm Handle , I like the shorter handle.

Pinaud Clubman aftershave

You would really have to fall asleep while shaving to get a bad shave with a Timeless, the blade is so firmly supported it makes the shave so smooth. Technique is still very important.

I have a Ti .95 OC polished base on the way from Timeless, should be here Monday.
I never would have considered going OC until I got the Timeless, I am really looking forward to it. I only need to get the Ti cap and I will have 2 complete Timeless Razors.

Never thought I would buy the same razor twice.

10/10
33ECD4E6-A354-41C4-93B8-90AADCF0593E.jpeg

My Thursday Morning Shave
Prep: Warm shower​
Strop: Tony Miller Premium Steerhide Smooth w/ Linen​
Two pass shave: WTG, ATG/XTG​
Razor: DOVO Best Quality 5/8" Full Hollowed (​
Pre-Shave Cream: Proraso White Cream For Sensitive Skin, Green Tea & Oat​
Brush: Semogue 1305 Pure Bristle Boar​
Soap: Proraso White Shaving Soap for Sensitive Skin, Green Tea & Oat​
Facial Toner: Thayers Original Witch Hazel w/ Aloe Vera​
Aftershave Balm: Proraso White Alcohol Free After Shave Balm for Sensitive Skin, Green Tea & Oat​
9.6/10 No nicks! No irritation!

proxy.php

Fri 22nd SOTD
Cream MacaRoot & Aloe
Brush Yaqi 24mm Aqua Tuxedo
Razor Game Changer.84-P SB
Blade Feather Stainless 2nd
Post & Aftershaves Ice Water + Thayers + Hyaluronic + MacaRoot & Aloe Gel
Always an enjoyable lather from this cream. Pleasant scent and good performance.
Shave with razor paired with the blade was good although not as smooth and comfortable as yesterday's Karve Brass SB-D. For me, Karve is just a bit better, smoother feel, including efficiency...just a little. 3passes for a mostly BBS result. Doesn't seem to suffer any weepers but 2 micro creepers appear much later...hahaha. The lead role today is the MacaRoot Aloe Gel AS...feels so soothing & cooling. Rating 9.5/10
20210122_082731.jpg

Top Bottom