What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
GEMonday, Jan18th 2021, Well did not feel like missing a MMMonday(A.S.E monday) So to have a little fun decided a Daily double, I picked my easy going 1st Generation Featherweight VS my new 2nd generation Razorock Lupo .72. I let the Gem Featherweight have the tough whisker side and the RR Lupo.72 the other side with 24 hrs growth. Both razors are easy to handle on the face and have become some of my many favorites.
Both are different in weight by quite a bit and my skill level is good enough to handle both issues with the RR Lupo is 3 times the weight of my Gem Feather weight(1OZ). First pass very similar in beard reduction, 2nd pass of on either side very similar again and then the pickups I was pleasantly surprized a tie on closeness. So did the feel test and I had a hard time with what side won- so out came the cottonball test and it also indicated a dead tie with no snagging of cotton. The Gem Feather had the odds against it (tough beard under chin side) but also I have used that razor many more times compared to the RR Lupo .72.
So to conclude I had a different MMMonday with a little enjoyment for this shaving enthusiast.

Razor: Gem Feather weight 1st generation- MFG 1950-52, 2nd gen 1953-54, excellent razor, fun to use with great results.
Razor: Razorock 2nd generation Lupo .72 - Mfg 2021, excellent built razor and a joy to use with just 3 shaves in.
Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE (2) excellent blade, very sharpe, great longevity and smooths out nicely & predictable.
Blade: Gillette Astra SP (3) excellent blade Sharp & smooth with reasonable longevity.
Soap: Razorock XXX. very nice clean scent with excellent lather qualities.
Brush: Yaqi Red zebra handle 26 mm knot- excellent lather creator with heavenly cloud like soft tips with a bit of back bone + excellent lather painter IMO.
Pre shave: Brush washed my whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups on each side of face with 2 different razors.
Post shave: Razorock XXX with witch Hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm.
Results: CCS,DFS,BBs + no irritation + no weepers =:a17: excellent shave with my Gem Feather weight + Gem coated blade.
Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers =:a17:excellent shave with my RR Lupo.72 + a Gillette Astra SP blade.

GEMonday.Jan 18th 2021.jpg

Have some great shaves! Stay & think safe in these times!

Razor: GEM Junior (baton handle)
Blade: GEM - Carbon (1st)
Brush: Dscosmetic - Green Handle Super Badger Fan (24mm)
Pre-Shave: Face Wash & Hyaluronic Acid
Lather: Purely Skinful: BAR-BEAR-IC (black bear tallow)
Aftershave: Purely Skinful: BAR-BEAR-IC
Additional Care:
EverReady - Automatic Stropper
AutoStrop - Leather Strop
7CBE50E3-1B10-445E-9FAA-07E3D648A986.jpeg

Shave Rating: 9.8/10
Never mind the Wool Fat... Here’s the Bear fat!
(I’ve got nothing against Wool Fat, I just wanted to say that)
Bear skins and stone axes? Maybe not quite, but I’ve got black bear tallow and carbon steel.

This is the first time I’ve used one of these GEM Carbon blades. I know, I know! If you read other member’s comments on them you might decide not to go in this direction. But not ouchyfoot! No no no. It just makes me want to put my face in the front of one and see for myself. Razor blades are a very subjective and personal thing.

The first thing I did was select my GEM Junior with a baton handle to visually bring me into the carbon era.
The next thing I did was strop that sucker 30 times with my Ever-Ready Automatic Stropper. I’m finding that initially stropping any of these thicker SE, spined blades whether they be stainless or carbon really improves their maiden voyage.
The GEM Carbon blade was smooth and even from the get-go. No roughness or tugging at all. In fact it surprised me with a BBS after the second pass. I only rated the shave a 9.8/10 because I know these carbon blades get smoother after each shave and I need some wiggle room to rate my next carbon adventure. I will be stropping it before each shave to keep that edge in tip top form.

A shaving troglodyte? ...that’s me!

Keep your eye on your nose

Last edited:
Monday MLK shave- two-pass, 9.7/10, great result, no nicks, no weepers, no irritation, yet.

Razor: Feather AC SS Japanese style-
this SS handle continues to impress.
Blade: Proline P-30 (3)- smooth and sharp
Brush: Zenith Euro boar- A basic budget brush. Since yesterday this poor brush has been soaked in ice water and dried with a hairdryer three times. It helped- today the brush held more water and consequently more lather, enough for a full shave. Mind you, this brush is still just okay. I'll see if it gets better with some more of my hospitality.
Soap: Free Reign Farms Cowboy- this is an unusual soap. Small farm made, heavy in goat's milk, decent tallow. It's a simple soap that wants a damp brush, a heavy load, and then water added slowly. The soap did not to want to fluff much. I got a nice yogurty lather that started thick and sticky, like Greek yogurt, and then with more water added thinned to a nice consistency. The slickness was there and the shave ended up feeling nice. The face feel post-shave is quite good and my face felt a bit slick even after the usual rinsing.
Post shave: cool rinse, L'Occitane Cade AS.

May your brush splay well, and your razor glide!

- Prep: Shower
- Brush: Simpson Special Pure Badger
- Razor: X4 Gillette Tech
- Blade: Personna Israeli Red
- Soap: B&M Hallows
- Aftershave: B&M Hallows balm
- Post Shave: Thayers Rose and Hyaluronic Acid

Excellent Shave. Hallows is soft and makes great lather but a container of Soft Heart doesn’t last long. Still good stuff. B&M balm is growing on me and I am surprised as I greatly preferred their splash pre-COVID, now I use them interchangeably With no preference.

9/10

Razor : Edwin Jagger DE89 Head on a
Sabi Marble Handle
Blade: Super - Max Blue Diamond (1)

Brush: WCS 24mm Pure Badger
Bowl: Deep Blue Plastic

Soap: HTGAM 'SYNERGY '

Henri et Victoria Cognac and Cuban
Cigars aftershave splash

10/10
An extremely comfortable and efficient shave. Three passes and a touch up to the hollows on the neck. A late afternoon shave instead of my usual morning routine.

Have a great day everyone [emoji3]
proxy.php

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

My Monday (Early) Afternoon Shave
Prep: Warm shower​
Strop: Tony Miller Premium Steerhide Smooth w/ Linen​
Two pass shave: WTG, ATG/XTG​
Razor: DOVO Best Quality 5/8" Full Hollowed (First time using! Kind of....)​
Pre-Shave Cream: Proraso Blue Cream, Aloe & Vitamin E​
Brush: WSP The "Duchess" White in Silvertip​
Soap: Murphy & McNeil Crann Bethadh Shaving Soap​
After Shave Splash: Murphy & McNeil Crann Bethadh Aftershave Splash - Alcohol and Menthol Free​
Aftershave Balm: Murphy & McNeil Crann Bethadh Aftershave Balm​
9.5/10 No nicks! No irritation! Some feedback with my splash...
  • A very enjoyable shave!
  • This is "kind of" the first time using this razor. I bought this new and tried it a couple of different times, but I don't think I ever finished with it. It was not sharp enough. I decided to give it a full paste treatment again, but this time I have a little more experience. It was usable, enjoyable, and gave a nice even shave. I know it will be much better once honed
  • My disappointment in myself: I have yet to hone one of my razors. I have the stones. I have researched techniques, but it was so long ago, I need to restart. I know it won't be time consuming after the first one, but I have just never found the time to sit down and do the first one. (For the record, I do have several "sacrificial" razors to start out on....)

Soap: Arko
Razor: Rolls Razor
Brush: Omega boar
Aftershave: Stirling Duke

Shave was acceptable, but decided to give the edge a look with the loop, and decided to take it back to the stones. Got it looking pretty good, so we will see how well it does tomorrow.

Surprised I even got 3 shaves from my first honing ever, and without drawing any blood to boot.

This is fun.

Simpson’s Duke 2 Best Brush ; One of the most perfect Brushes Simpson’s makes.
PdP No. 63 soap, this soap just keeps surprising me with its ease of lathering, & slickness
Feather (3) , incredible blade when used correctly
Timeless SS Polished .95 Scalloped, great razor
Captains Copper Lathering Bowl
Pinaud Clubman after shave

Today was perfection zero irritation BBS, no effort just being mindful.

10/10
F14203B1-B45E-4DC2-8E08-5368E98F4FD8.jpeg

Tue 19th SOTD
Soap Stirling Margaritas in the Arctic 👍👍👍👍
Brush Yaqi 24mm Silvertip
Razor Fatip OC Slant 👍👍👍
Blade Wilkinson Sword 3rd
Post & Aftershaves Ice Water + Thayers + Hyaluronic + Reuzel Wood & Spice
Awesome soap!!! Super nice scent! I haven't had a Margarita before but wow, I almost wanna sip it! Hahaha! The lather is creamy and slick too. What a pleasure!!
Shave with long-ignored razor paired with the blade was amazing!! Regretted leaving this excellent razor in the cold. Extra smooth and comfortable...almost no blade feel but more efficient than other higher spec razors. I can feel the blade is so rigidly clamped. 3passes for a mostly BBS result with no nicks weepers nor irritation. Excellent aftershaves. Rating 10/10!!
20210119_091317.jpg

Τρίτη. Η συνάντηση κανονίστηκε. Ελπίζω να βγει κάτι καλό. Οι άλλοι με κούρασαν.

Razor: Blackland Blackbird OC
Blade : Crystal+ (2)
Brush : Simpsons Chubby 2 Manchurian
Soap : MWF

WTG=>XTG=>DFS++ 10.0/10.0

Top Bottom