What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

20210113_090420.jpg

Razor: Schick K3 Lady Eversharp in Pink
Blade: Schick Injector
Brush: Rubberset 203 in Super Badger
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Fine American Blend
Aftershave: Proraso Green Splash
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Pinaud Finest powder
The handle on this razor looks stubby but it is actually the same size as a Fatboy. The head is the same as any other type J, so this is a great performing razor. Rating 9.5.

Soap: Arko
Razor: Gem 1912
Blade: Stainless
Brush: Omega
Aftershave: Skin Bracer

Meant for a 3 passer, but quit while I was ahead at 2 passes due to some nicks. Out of practice with the Gem and my lather was a little on the dry side. Wasn't the worst shave, but wasn't the best. I learned to quit while I was ahead, but I need to learn that I can, you know, FIX my lather or even start over if needed. One day I will actually follow through with that.

6/10

Razor: Gustav Zimmer (Oldenburg Germany)
Strop: Ezra Arthur 3” Horsehide
Brush: Spiffo - Alezeh (High Mountain White SHD-Fan) 26mm
Pre-Shave: Face Wash & Hyaluronic Acid
Lather: Arsenal Grooming - Da’ Bomb
Aftershave: Chiseled Face - Cedar & Spice
2E9302DF-6725-4B24-A08E-44FB0AB86AAD.jpeg

Shave Rating: 6/10
2 ears ✅
2 lips ✅
1 nose ✅
My first Straight Razor Shave
🩸 🩸 🩸
A very serious comedy. I could fill the page trying to write about this shave. Everything was a new first for me. It all started when I saw a namesake “Zimmer” razor for $10. A rusty butter knife that I rehabbed and honed with no previous experience. I was amping myself up to give it a go. I needed a strop before I could begin! so I ordered one. The post office lost my package for a month and I started losing my confidence a day at a time.
Was my razor sharp enough? Did I strop it properly? I have nothing to compare it to. The funniest part was watching me trying to position my fingers to hold it in that SR grip. Looking in the mirror in reverse even made it more confusing.
I guess the shave went okay my for first time. The first pass went surprisingly well. The second was a little more confusing because I couldn’t apply the same directions I use with my DEs. I did a lot of directional work on my neck but never managed to get it completely smooth. Actually I’m surprised I didn’t end up with any cuts on my neck...I saved those for under my nose.
Nose and chin were all guess work. I did pretty well from my lower lip to my chin...nice and close, but got some nicks under my nose. I got one long slice on my cheek. Very shallow...didn’t bleed...just an epidermal surface fillet. I was in the middle of a pass when I decided to bullfrog my cheek while the razor was in motion. A dumb move, but could have been worse.
Anyway, I cant really say if it was a good, bad or indifferent shave. I’ll probably DE my next shave just to let the nicks heal. Don’t know exactly how a well honed razor should feel, but I’ll just give this one some more stropping before my next shave.

Keep your eye on your nose

View attachment 1208506

Razor: Schick K3 Lady Eversharp in Pink
Blade: Schick Injector
Brush: Rubberset 203 in Super Badger
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Fine American Blend
Aftershave: Proraso Green Splash
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Pinaud Finest powder
The handle on this razor looks stubby but it is actually the same size as a Fatboy. The head is the same as any other type J, so this is a great performing razor. Rating 9.5.
I don’t think I’ve ever seen that “shorty” model Lady shaver before. I like it.

Razor: Gustav Zimmer (Oldenburg Germany)
Strop: Ezra Arthur 3” Horsehide
Brush: Spiffo - Alezeh (High Mountain White SHD-Fan) 26mm
Pre-Shave: Face Wash & Hyaluronic Acid
Lather: Arsenal Grooming - Da’ Bomb
Aftershave: Chiseled Face - Cedar & Spice
View attachment 1208511
Shave Rating: 6/10
2 ears ✅
2 lips ✅
1 nose ✅
My first Straight Razor Shave
🩸 🩸 🩸
A very serious comedy. I could fill the page trying to write about this shave. Everything was a new first for me. It all started when I saw a namesake “Zimmer” razor for $10. A rusty butter knife that I rehabbed and honed with no previous experience. I was amping myself up to give it a go. I needed a strop before I could begin! so I ordered one. The post office lost my package for a month and I started losing my confidence a day at a time.
Was my razor sharp enough? Did I strop it properly? I have nothing to compare it to. The funniest part was watching me trying to position my fingers to hold it in that SR grip. Looking in the mirror in reverse even made it more confusing.
I guess the shave went okay my for first time. The first pass went surprisingly well. The second was a little more confusing because I couldn’t apply the same directions I use with my DEs. I did a lot of directional work on my neck but never managed to get it completely smooth. Actually I’m surprised I didn’t end up with any cuts on my neck...I saved those for under my nose.
Nose and chin were all guess work. I did pretty well from my lower lip to my chin...nice and close, but got some nicks under my nose. I got one long slice on my cheek. Very shallow...didn’t bleed...just an epidermal surface fillet. I was in the middle of a pass when I decided to bullfrog my cheek while the razor was in motion. A dumb move, but could have been worse.
Anyway, I cant really say if it was a good, bad or indifferent shave. I’ll probably DE my next shave just to let the nicks heal. Don’t know exactly how a well honed razor should feel, but I’ll just give this one some more stropping before my next shave.

Keep your eye on your nose

congrats. nothing wrong with bulfroggin'. do it all the time. ya just have to be acutely aware of where your blade edge is and angle of attack during this. it comes with time.

camo

Hart Steel/Bruce Gregory
WK Entropy Man
24mm Yaqi Violet Synth
Tony Miller Strop
Jnat Shobu Finish
WK Entropy Man AS splash

20210114_132158.jpg

yep, nice razor. no issues detected on the Kuromaku 12k or Jnat. the usual shiney bevel to the naked eye. Loupe reveals the ever so familiar hazy shine. with time will be mirror. no anomalies seen along the blade edge. love this soap scent.

be well all.

camo

Razor: Rockwell 6S (R4/R3)
Blade: Gillette Nacet (3)
Brush: Simpson Trafalgar T3 (aka The Lather Cannon)
Soap: Proraso Single Blade
Post Shave: Alum block, Nivea (Sensitive) ASB

Back to the usual R4/R3 plate combination today, R4 for the first pass, R3 for the last two.

The Result was another TBS (Totally Bomb Shave).

Rating this one 9.8 (possibly better).

Gin in the Morning

Brush: Brad Sears 26mm Arley w/ Estate
Razor: H&S P076 Ti
Blade: Feather
Soap and AS: A&E Club London Gin Club

First time I've ever had a Feather that I think missed quality control. From the beginning of the shave one side was quite harsh and the other side didn't feel right either; I should have stopped and put in a new blade but I carried on. Got a few small weepers. On the other hand, while I had bought the soap when it was released in the summer, I only got
IMG_632343764.jpeg
the splash yesterday at Pasteurs. And I love it. So:

8.9 / 10 (for the blade)

Thursday shave- great two-pass, with not quite enough touch up, 9.8/10, no nicks, no weepers, no irritation. This would have been a near perfect shave, if I didn't miss about 1/2 square inch just under my chin on the second pass.

Razor: Feather AC SS Japanese style-
I had tried all the AC types except for an authentic Feather SS. So, one arrived in yesterday's post and I loaded it with my current blade. What a great holder, a tiny bit less aggressive than the DX handles, but with the guarded blade it felt like I was shaving with a mild DE. Sweet!
Blade: Kai Potouch MG(5)- blade still smooth
Brush: Simpsons Duke 2- The brush is quite nimble in my smaller hands and face lathered well.
Soap: ARKO stick- in a fancy, for Arko, new container.
Post shave: cool rinse, then some good "old" Aqua Velva Ice Blue, it must be old since it's in a glass bottle.

May your blade stay smooth and your hand stay steady- be well!

PXL_20210114_190421851.jpg

Last edited:
IMG_1134.JPG

A hot shower
Brush: Omega 83
Razor: Parker Variant (4,3,3)
Blade: New Nacet
Soap: Taconic Urban Woods
Bowl: Fine lather bowl
Rating: 9.5

BBS shave, 3 passes, nothing to touch up, (Nacets are my favorite blade). The only thing keeping it from a 10, I've only used the Taconic Shave Urban Woods soap a few times, it was easy to lather, nice slickness, but, it burned just a little when I applied it for the third pass, the irritation was gone after I rinsed. It's a strong scented soap, I don't remeber it burning the other times I used it, and there was no post shave burn. I'm going to use it tomorrow, to see if it happens again. The Parker variant, for all it's big bulky looks is just a pleasure to shave with, it feels more sleek than it appears, and has great balance, lots of feedback, and a very wide adjustment range.

Thursday shave- great two-pass, with not quite enough touch up, 9.8/10, no nicks, no weepers, no irritation. This would have been a near perfect shave, if I didn't miss about 1/2 square inch just under my chin on the second pass.

Razor: Feather AC SS Japanese style-
I had tried all the AC types except for an authentic Feather SS. So, one arrived in yesterday's post and I loaded it with my current blade. What a great holder, a tiny bit less aggressive than the DX handles, but with the guarded blade it felt like I was shaving with a mild DE. Sweet!
Blade: Kai Potouch MG(5)- blade still smooth
Brush: Simpsons Duke 2- The brush is quite nimble in my smaller hands and face lathered well.
Soap: ARKO stick- in a fancy, for Arko, new container.
Post shave: cool rinse, then some good "old" Aqua Velva Ice Blue, it must be old since it's in a glass bottle.

May your blade stay smooth and your hand stay steady- be well!

View attachment 1208580
I need...

Razor: Merkur 23C
Blade: Big Ben Super Stainless (2)
Brush: WCS Pure Badger 24mm
Bowl: Supply Co. Marble

Cream: Proraso Sensitive

Proraso Sensitive Balm

An excellent three passes to a near perfect shave. I think Proraso shave cream is one of the best buys one can find.

Have a great day everyone [emoji3]
proxy.php

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

- Prep: Shower
- Brush: Semogue Pharos horse
- Razor: Gillette Red Tip SS
- Blade: Personna Israeli red (2)
- Soap: Arko
- Aftershave: Clubman Pinaud
- Post Shave: Thayers Rose

Not my normal shave but I enjoyed it. I rarely use Arco and almost never use Clubman but I enjoy them from time to time.

The Semogue horse is excellent. Blows away my Vie Longs. The Pharos is the most Badger-like horse brush I have ever used. Really nice $20 brush.

8.5/10

Top Bottom