What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

Today's shave

Prep:
Hot shower
Brush:
Tulip 3 super
Soap:
B&M Diamond
Razor:
Feather AS-D2
Blade:
Nacet (3)

Rating: 9.6/10

Today is a duty day so I woke up early enough to shave at home. Took a nice long hot shower while the new Tulip was soaking. I had to dig into the soap tub and roll all the soap together then mash it back into the tub to feel like I was making good contact (the ring was almost to the outside of the tub..about to finish my first tub of soap!) I shook off the excess water from the brush and got to work . It took no time at all to fill that brush up with a ton of lather!

This is just the second lather I've had with the Tulip 3 in super and let me tell you, I notice a HUGE difference in feel from the best badger brushes I have (Duke 2 and Special). This super hair is SO plush and comfortable. Not floppy at all and I feel like the 23mm or so knot is just right for my face. I have an Emperor 3 on the way and I'm excited to feel them out as they will probably become my favorite brushes.

After lathering up for two passes WTG and XTG, the AS-D2 and Nacet performed very well together.

The Diamond aftershave left my face feeling real nice. A little bit of feedback which is perfect for me.

Would have been a 10/10 because no nicks or cuts and extremely comfortable, but I noticed when i got to work that I must have just skipped over a spot on my chin on the second pass as there is noticeably longer hair there! Whoops! I didn't even feel it after my rinse when I feel for stubble. Damn the poor lighting in my temp living situation!

Soap: Williams
Razor: Muhle R89
Blade: 7 O'clock SS
Brush: Omega Pro 49
Aftershave: Stirling Duke

So slick of a lather that I started getting complacent without consequence. This may prove bloody when going back to other soaps in my rotation haha. Regardless, loving this soap so far.

10. Probably the closest shave I've ever had without going against the grain.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
SOTD, Sat Jan09th 2021

Razor: Kai style AC shavette folding razor- Mfg 2018? Good zamic razor, well built and easy to manipulate all over the face.
Blade: Kai Protouch guarded- Very nice AC blade, very sharp and smooths out nicely after a few shaves.
Soap: Razorock Santa Maria del Fiore , I enjoy this mild scented tobacoo & vanilla soap, excellent lather qualities.
Brush: Yaqi lucky dice 26mm Tuxedo knot, excellent lather producer with cloud like soft tips with backbone for a scrub.
Preshave : Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on cleaned beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 3. WTG + ATG x 2.
Post shave: Razorock Santa Marie del Fiore with witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm.
Results: 8.5/10 or CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + 1 chin weeper= :thumbup: Great shave with my Kai style AC Shavette with a Kai Protouch.

SOTD, Sat, Jan 09th 2021.jpg

Have some great shaves! Stay & think safe in these times!

Bullet Tip
Coated Blade (1)
Stirling Boar
Arko
@Captain Pre-Capsize splash
Clubman

A throw back shave today. Haven't used a single edge in what feels like months. Remembering angles and so forth took a few strokes. When I use Arko, I use Captains Choice splashes. The Arlo can leave my face a bit dry and this splash does the best job of making my face feel fantastic. I had some red dots and I actually expected some due to going back to SE and the fresh blade. Just wanted to change it up. I am BBS though and a good post shave feel.

8.3/10

KM

PXL_20210109_145340190.jpg

1610208246681.jpeg

Brush: Elite Razor Washington Redskins handle/ 26mm AP Shave Co. Synbad knot
Soap: Barrister & Mann - Paganini’s violin
Razor: Razorock Game Changer .68
Blade: Gillette Platinum

9/10: Tom Brady comes to town tonight. I believe he is sponsored by Gillette. Here’s hoping the Washington D-Line has him packing his cartridges for Tampa quickly.

• Razor : Blackland Dart (machined finish)
  • Blade : Topaz Platinum (1)
  • Soap : Razorock Blue Fougere
  • Brush : Semogue excelsior boar
  • Post shave : Alum plus Anherb after shave conditioner

I have the Blackland Dart since 2019, somehow never came around to using it.

Found it while looking for some stuff and decided to give it a go. Its aggressive reputation precedes its, so put in a safe blade for me - the Topaz platinum, not feather sharp but a smooth blade .

Used the Razorock blue fougere. It makes some good thick and slick lather with cushion.

Pass 1 : WTG I use zero pressure with all my razors, the Dart particularly so. Took some time figure out its intuitive sweet spot. That spot is pretty narrow, and very aggresive. The first stroke made me say hello to the blade. I knew I had to be careful. It doesn't do beard reduction, it does beard annihilation! End of first WTG most of the stubble was gone except the neck

Pass 2 : XTG - it took me quite some time to keep finding its intuitive sweet spot where the razor feels like its taking off the skin with the blade feel. Its not a very smooth razor and I had to be careful with short strokes. Most of time using shallow angle. I had already a clean bbs.

Pass 3 : ATG yes I dared an ATG. Most areas of the neck the blade felt intimidating on the skin ATG and I stopped.

Alum gave some sting on the neck but WOW what a shave, 8 hours on the feeling is damn smooth

I read up past threads where users commented that this works good with a steep angle riding the guard. I'll try it tomorrow.

I find it an awesome razor, takes time and care but gives a fantastic shave with zero pressure and good technique. Its a keeper for sure !

20210109_152955.jpg

20210109_152939.jpg

Last edited:
Today's shave

Razor: Gillette New LC
Blade: Gillette 7 O'Clock Black SP (1)
Soap: Stirling Arkadia
Brush: Yaqi 24mm Purple Haze Mew Brown synthetic
Aftershave: Aqua Velva Musk

Rating: 10/10

Had great relaxing shave this morning ending with a BBS!

Have a wonderful Saturday folks!

Razor: Edwin Jagger 3ONE6 Knurled Handle
Blade: Wilkinson Sword Classic (3)
Brush: RazoRock Plissoft Monster Synthetic Shaving Brush - 26mm
Pre-Shave: Hot Shower
Lather: Cella Extra Extra Bio + Neutrogena Sensitive Shave Skin Cream for men
Aftershave: Cold water rinses

No nicks: 5
No irritation: 5
Closeness: 5
Smoothness: 5

Overall rank: 10/10

Very good shave. Very close and pleasant shave.

YMMV

IMG_20210109_195423.jpg

Cold water | TSF Granducato Toscano | Simpson Colonel X2L | Merkur 37c + Voskhod | Proraso Red Aftershave Lotion

24h / 3 passes / BBS-

8.5/10

Got this soap on clearance and I couldn't resist trying it. The scent is herby and musky, it does kinda remind me of the smells of the Italian countryside :D. The fragrance doesn't last long tho: perhaps a new batch would be more persistent, this one is quite old I think. However, the performances are great, really a thick, slick and cushiony lather. No irritations or weepers or discomfort, even if I was shaving on skin not fully recovered.

My Saturday Afternoon Shave
Prep: Warm shower​
Strop: Tony Miller Premium Steerhide Smooth w/ Linen​
Two pass shave: WTG, ATG/XTG​
Razor: Le Grelot 5/8​
Pre-Shave Cream: Proraso Blue Cream, Aloe & Vitamin E​
Brush: Semogue 1305 Pure Bristle Boar​
Soap: Murphy & McNeil Crann Bethadh Shaving Soap​
Aftershave Splash: Murphy & McNeil Crann Bethadh Splash - Alcohol and Menthol Free​
Aftershave Balm: Murphy & McNeil Crann Bethadh Balm​
Rating: 10/10 DFS! One nick. No irritation!
  • A really enjoyable shave! I wasn't originally thinking a 10, but my post shave feedback was and is excellent
  • Yes, a 10 even though I had one nick that I used styptic on
  • The razor seemed to drag a little, but the end result was surprisingly close (and yes still a 10)
  • I have had trouble with this splash in the past as far as irritation/feedback, but not today. I am dialing it in...
  • This brush is finally coming into its own as far as being broken in
  • I should have never started using a scuttle. Even though I face lather, it is really nice on the post first pass lather having a warm brush on your face....
proxy.php

Razor: ES Outlaw
Blade: Feather (2)
Brush: ES Medium Jock
Soap: Signature Soaps Capra
Rating: 10

The last shave for me in my 50’s, I hit the big Six Zero tomorrow! Shave was excellent, BBS with absolutely no irritation or weepers etc. Post shave face feel is also top notch, all in all very pleased with it.

Top Bottom