What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

Pre Shave: Warm shower, Glycerin Face Wash, Crown Pre Shave Gel
Razor: Colonial General V2
Blade: Kai Captain ProTouch MG Guarded Blade
Brush: West Coast Shaving Beacon Silvertip
Soap: Stirling Sheep
Post Shave: Cold water rinse, Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm, Proraso Red AS
Rating: 9.95/10 Excellent two pass BBS shave, minimal buffing on chin. No weepers, no irritation and no cuts. Very efficient comfortable shave.

Razor: Autostrop Valet - B1
Blade: GEM Blue Star (carbon) (7)
Brush: FS 28mm G4 Synthetic
Pre-Shave: Face Scrub, Thayers, Hyaluronic Acid
Lather: Le Père Lucien: Cedar-Patchouli
Aftershave: Historic Brands - Georgian Bay Rum
CDE5746D-7713-4F7C-99AA-933D0FE1AD3F.jpeg

Shave Rating: 9.0/10
Parlez-vous français...oui monsieur!
Me and my French soaps are finally speaking the same language! My other attempts have been wishy-washy lathers. Sure, they were still slick and the shave was okay, but I could never obtain a consistent thick creamy lather. I was looking forward to trying out my new slow feed (gently merge then whip) hydration method on this soap. Night and day! I didn’t think these soaps were capable of such a dense rich lather...but it was me that was the dense one all the time. I was really thrilled to be able to obtain this 10/10 lather.
409448A3-7503-47E9-A072-5649D61FAC10.jpeg

That’s two fine lathers in a row for this system. I’ve been trying to stay consistent by keeping to synthetic brushes for my initial learning curve. I’ll use a synthetic again with my Sapinificio Varesino - Desert Vetiver on my next shave, then start experiment with the system using my badgers.

My BLUEstar carbon blade (7 uses) is turning the same black as your grandparents kitchen knives. I stropped it five times per side before shaving. It felt more aggressive on my face than usual, but I’m wondering if that could be caused by the different blade stop system in the B1 as compared to the VB1 or VC1. I’ll take it out for one more shave in one of the latter to see if there’s a difference.

A nice close shave, but have enough stubble feel still on areas of my neck to not claim a BBS. Georgian Bay Rum was the right AS for the weather temp today.

May your lather aslways be thick and creamy

Last edited:
Today's shave - a quick two-pass - 9/10- DFS, no irritation.

Razor: Feather AC DX western style
Blade: Proline P30 (2)
Brush: Chubby 1 in Best Badger
Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat- puck now delivering rich, thick, slick lather
AS: alum, rinse then Nivea sensitive cooling- not feeling much cooling

Great weekend to all!
PXL_20201121_202400203.jpg

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
Saturday afternoon shave

Razor: Rich Leukroth
Brush: Boar
Soap: Portus Cale

A leisurely early afternoon shave. I put a fine finish on my razor this morning, making for a very close smooth shave indeed. Portuguese soap with lanolin leaves my skin feeling very nourished. Happy Saturday all!

970776A9-8228-4F21-BF52-AD103CEAA851.jpeg
9/10

Eben Stone

Staff member
20201121_123245.jpg

Prep: hot towel, Noxema facial cleanser (kept it on while I made the lather), Shave Secret (4 drops)
Blade: Personna Lab Blue #4
Razor: Ikon Tek
Brush: Muhle black fiber v2
Soap: SJoL lavender and geranium
Aftershave: Omega alum stick, Thayers rose witch hazel, SJoL lavender and geranium

The hardware and software I used today were chosen randomly in the shave roulette game:

Got this *insane* idea to go AGT first pass from this post:

3 pass: lukewarm ATG, XTG, WTG. No cleanup pass required!

So today I went AGT first pass, including mustache and neck, and I achieved a great shave. One of the best shaves so far. I can't say with any certainty that I would want to do this as a daily thing, because the level of attention required is through the roof. I wasn't paying close enough attention and mowed down a corner of my side burn (I was too focused on the blade feel).

I want to mention whenever I go mustache AGT typically every whisker at the corner of my lips turns into a little wheeper. The only exception is when I used an RR old type I hardly got any. Today was normal and I got more than I can count at the corners of my lips. However, I do not include weepers when determining level of irritation nor quality of the shave. I use level of alum burn to determine those things.

As usual, the SJoL performed great, awesome slickness and cushion. The lavender and geranium scent is very nice.

The Lab Blue is still sharp and smooth on the 4th shave. The Tek + PLB is a great combination.

Too many little weepers to count at the corner of my lips by going mustache AGT. Otherwise no cuts, no nicks, no abrasions, no razor burn, no skin redness. Alum's revenge was very weak today, very little alum burn.

My only complaint is I forgot to use distilled water to make the lather. But I was still able to make great lather using the SJoL + Muhle synthetic + ShaveBowl combination and hard tap water.

👍

Last edited:
Pre-shave: Hot shower, Proraso pre-shave Sensitive skin
Soap: MDC Fougere
Blade: Nacet
Razor: EJ 3one6
Brush: Simpson’s Trafalar T3 (1st use)
Post-shave: Proraso pre-shave Sensitive skin
Black Jack Cooling Gel
Art of Shaving Saddle-wood Balm
Pinaud Clubman After Shave (love the scent)

Was really impressed with the T3, lathered easily, splayed easily, plenty of soap for 4 passes. One of my favorite brushes already.

8.5/10 I was a little to aggressive in my hard to get areas

Since it is my day off thought I would show you my collection so far (shaving 3 months)
Check out the MDC jar , that is after 14 shaves hardly looks like I have used any

Just for fun thought I would throw in a picture of myself, Saturday will be my 64th Birthday 🎂

I have a Zenith Chubby Scrubby on the way, will be here Saturday
View attachment 1184394View attachment 1184395View attachment 1184396View attachment 1184397
Happy BDay!!!! 🎂

- Prep: Shower and Proraso Red Preshave cream
- Brush: Simpsons Wee Scot
- Razor: Merkur Progress
- Blade: Viking’s Sword (3)
- Soap: HeV Cognac and Cuban Cigars
- Aftershave: Storybook Hook
- Post Shave: Thayers Rose and Neutrogena Hydra Boost Balm

Very good shave today. I really should use the Wee Scot and Progress more. Great brush and razor.

A bit of irritation but almost a BBS.

9.5/10

Razor: RazoRock GC68-P
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue (2)
Pre-Shave: Cetaphil Facial Cleanser
Lather: Aveeno Therapeutic Shave Gel
Aftershave: Aqua Velva Classic

No nicks: 5
No irritation: 5
Closeness: 5
Smoothness: 5

No nicks. No irritation. No itching.
Very close and very pleasant shave.

GC68 is less aggressive/ less efficient than the ATT R1 Atlas. It is also smoother.

Rating: 10/10

Shave of the day: 11/21/2020

Prep: Nivea Cleanser, The Bluebeards Revenge Scrub

Pre Shave: Proraso Red

Soap: Arko

Razor: Parker 24c

Blade: Derby Premium (3)

Brush: Wilkinson sword pure bristle

Alum: Osma

Aftershave: Witch hazel and Nivea sensitive balm

Rating: 8/10

Overall an ok shave.

Is it me or the Parker 24c is kinda harsh? It's efficient and all but the last two times I used it it was kinda harsh. I can tell on my sensitive spots that it has a tendency to hurt. Don't get me wrong it's a fine razor but I'd prefer it to be more buttery smooth. I had mild irritation on some spots. Of course it also be the blade's fault being in its third shave. I could feel it pull on my hairs.

IMG_20201122_003000_924.jpg

Razor: Blackbird sb
Blade: Gillette Platinum (2)
Brush: Razorock 400
Soap: Palmolive cream
Post: Fine American blend splash followed by Bart’s balm.
Rating: 9.5

Needed a quick shave today so I whipped up a nice lather with the Palmolive cream
in the Stirling bowl. Totally bbs with no nicks but a small patch of mild irritation on the
left jaw line so half a point off.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
20201121_141935~2.jpg

Razor: @Blackland Razors Dart
Blade: Silver Star (4)
Brush: RazoRock F-400 (34mm Noir Plissoft synthetic knot)
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: La Toja Stick (grated) + Cremo = Super Lather
Post-shave Care: Hyaluronic Acid
Aftershave: Brut

Three passes + touch-up. No nicks, cuts, weepers or irritation.

The Dart is a gorgeous razor. Efficient, effective and exacting. Highly recommended! 👍

The RazoRock F-400 is one heck of a lather monster. :cool:

Wonderful shave. :)

My Saturday Afternoon Shave
Prep: Warm shower​
Strop: Tony Miller Premium Steerhide Smooth​
Two pass shave: WTG, ATG/XTG​
Razor: Ralf Aust 5/8 Full Hollow Spanish Point​
Pre-Shave Cream: Proraso White Cream For Sensitive Skin, Green Tea & Oat​
Brush: WSP The "Duchess" White in Silvertip​
Soap: Proraso White Shaving Soap for Sensitive Skin, Green Tea & Oat​
Toner: Thayer's Original Witch Hazel​
Aftershave: Proraso White Balm for Sensitive Skin, Green Tea & Oat​
Rating: 9.9/10 DFS! One nick that disappeared with rinse, no irritation...
  • BBS around my SR trouble area chin!

Eben Stone

Staff member
Considering that the R41 is an agressive razor, how would you rate the agressiveness of the Lab Blue on 1 to 10?

I've given this a lot of thought.

Lab Blue = 7

To give you some context, I rate the blades 1-10 based on how well the blade *consistently* provides a good quality shave (both closeness and no alum burn). Obviously my prep, software, and technique plays a role. And since I like aggressiveness, I would say that my ratings are absolutely biased towards preferring a blade that is sharp. Some of these blades I haven't used in a while and my technique has improved. And G7B is the worst blade for me so far, causes nicks, but I've only tried one so maybe it's a dud. I started by giving PSI a 10 Astra SP 5 (it's my benchmark for an average blade), and G7B 1, and then filled in everything else. The number in parens is max shaves per blade.

10 Polsilver SI (8)
8 Feather (2)
7 G Nacet
7 G 7 o'clock yellow (6)
7 Personna Lab Blue
7 Personna Med Prep
6 Kai
5 Astra SP (5)
5 Dorco ST301 (4)
5 Wilkinson Sword (7)
4 Shark SS (4)
4 Vidyut Supermax (5)
4 Derby Extra (1) **
1 G 7 o'clock black (7) *

** = tuggy
* = random nicks (maybe dud blade)

If I were to rate them only by resulting closeness and ignoring alum burn, then the list would probably the be same but with Feather = 10, Kai = 8, PSI = 7, G7B = 7.

I hope that answers your question.

Last edited:
I've given this a lot of thought.

Lab Blue = 7

To give you some context, I rate the blades 1-10 based on how well the blade *consistently* provides a good quality shave (both closeness and no alum burn). Obviously my prep, software, and technique plays a role. And since I like aggressiveness, I would say that my ratings are absolutely biased towards preferring a blade that is sharp. Some of these blades I haven't used in a while and my technique has improved. And G7B is the worst blade for me so far, causes nicks, but I've only tried one so maybe it's a dud. I started by giving PSI a 10 Astra SP 5 (it's my benchmark for an average blade), and G7B 1, and then filled in everything else. The number in parens is max shaves per blade.

10 Polsilver SI (8)
8 Feather (2)
7 G Nacet
7 G 7 o'clock yellow (6)
7 Personna Lab Blue
7 Personna Med Prep
6 Kai
5 Astra SP (5)
5 Dorco ST301 (4)
5 Wilkinson Sword (7)
4 Shark SS (4)
4 Vidyut Supermax (5)
4 Derby Extra (1) **
1 G 7 o'clock black (7) *

** = tuggy
* = random nicks (maybe dud blade)

If I were to rate them only by resulting closeness and ignoring alum burn, then the list would probsbly the be same but with Fearher = 10, Kai = 8, PSI = 7, G7B = 7.

I hope that answers your question.
Very interesting thanks

Spicy Sunday for the WIN! The GameChanger .68 plate series for the tool of choice.

Prep: Hot Shower and Bloom/Lather Building Water
Soap: Stirling Spice
Razor: RazoRock GC .68 Series(Jaws, OC, and SB)/Merkur Mustache and Eyebrow Razor
Blade: Kai (1)/Merkur Mustache and Eyebrow Blade (No Idea)
Brush: Zenith Boar
AS: Old Spic Classic (US)
ASB: Stirling Spice ASB
EdC: Old Spice Classic (US)
Rating: 9.2/10 (Used a bit too much pressure at first)

I scraped some of the Stirling Spice into the bottom of my Captains Choice Heavy Copper, poured some hot water over it while I showered. I poured the bloom water into the VdH bowl with fresh hot water to build the lather from. That lather got slick, thick, and creamy.

This is one of my favorite shaves of the week. I can't get enough of it. Between Sundays and Wednesdays I do not know which is my favorite shave of the week.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Top Bottom