What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

Friday Shave

Pre-shave: Shower/PAA Scentless Preshave
Razor: Pre-War Tech
Blade: 7am (1)
Brush: Wild West Brush Works 24mm Synthetic Tuxedo Knot (Blue Swirl)
Soap: PAA Diver Down
Bowl/Mug: Travel dog bowl
Post Shave: Nivea balm/The Ordinary hyaluronic acid drops
AS: PAA Diver Down

Another travel shave. Back in Auburn for another round of chemo for my parent's Bichon. I found this Pre-War Tech, in sad shape, at the fleamarket (where I also found a sad Super Speed and my yellow shave bowl). Chris at RazorPlate re-plated it for me. So a homecoming of sorts for this razor.
Loaded it with a 7am blade, and loaded the Wild West synthetic with some DIver Down and set to work making lather in the collapsible dog bowl. I believe this is the same bowl Sterling sells, but was a few bucks cheaper on the Zon. Makes lather very fast, but has a tendency to over aerate the lather when starting out. But the PAA was still very slick.
The 7am blade was VERY aggressive in the Pre-War, and I had a few nicks that could have used the application of the forgotten styptic pen, but can't use what you don't have. They did stop when I applied the Nivea. So the one nick on my neck will be a deduction. The other was taking off a forming pimple. My fault, as I knew it was there, but shaved over it anyway.
Also got a few weepers from the irritation bumps below my adam's apple from my last shave.

I let the Nivea/hyaluronic acid drops soak in for about 5 minutes while cleaning up, and then applied the PAA DD AS. Did that around 10 this morning, and I can still get a whiff of if 14 hours later.

So, onto the rating:
No nicks: 3
No irritation: 4.5
Closeness: 4
Smoothness: 4.5
Overall rating: 8

2020-11-20.jpg

Well, it was Sandalwood Saturday with Proraso Red. I'd be lying if I told you it was a good shave... It was great!

Prep: Hot Shower and Bloom/Lather Building Water
Soap: Proraso Red
Razor: Rockwell Razors 6S Matte Black(R6, R5, R4, and R3)/Merkur Mustache and Eyebrow Razor
Blade: Tiger Platinum (4)/Merkur Mustache and Eyebrow Blade (No Idea)
Brush: Omega S-Brush
AS: Proraso Red
ASB: Proraso Red Pre/Post Shave as ASB
Rating: 9.5/10

Didn't bloom the soap. Just wet the brush, ran the tub under some hot water to wash away some of Iraq, and loaded. I took the brush to the bowl and built the superb lather pictured below. Three passes, hit the eyebrows, and killed the blade under the arms for a superb shave. The Proraso Red AS killed any germs left on the face from the water supply and the Pre-Post Shave was used as a balm. Smelling good. I wish Proraso would come out with a Red EdC/EdT.
[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Sat 21st SOTD Testing Viking Sword Blade Shave #1
Soap
Phoenix & Beau Spitfire
Brush DS Cosmetics 26mm Badger
Razor Game Changer.84-P SB
Post & Aftershaves
Ice Water + Special Thayers Mix
Hyaluronic + Aqua Velva Ice Blue
Super good lather from the soap! Creamy, slick and very nice scent!
Wow...shave with the razor paired with this blade was outstanding! From the 1st stroke onwards...so smooth....hardly feel the blade but can feel sharp knife through butter sensation...without being uncomfortable.
My trouble areas...upper lips and neck, was so smoothly & comfortably shaved especially atg. 3+1passes for a mostly bbs to dfs result. Excellent post & aftershaves. Rating 9.8/10
Initial impression for the blade is outstanding!
20201121_131544.jpg

C-Mon Blackie
B&M Vespers
22mm B&M Tuxedo Synth
Miller Strop
Jnat Finish
20201121_070658.jpg

Flippin' raining this morning so didn't go to the woods this morn. was justly compensated for my loss by being treated to the scent of Vespers. This razor/blade has an absolutely stunning and stellar edge in it.

be well all.......

can't rain all the time.

camo

Daily Shave: 21 November 2020
DSCF2334.JPG

Prep:
Liquid Soap face wash
Razor:
WCS 84S
Soap:
Proraso Green shave cream (using distilled water)
Brush:
Viking Badger
Blade:
BIC / Blade #3 / Shave #1
Passes:
WTG then ATG
Cleanup:
Wiped face dry and then Witch Hazel wipe down
Aftershave:
Pinaud Clubman
Rating:
9.8 BBS Great shave for a TV sports and household chore laden day. No stubble or nicks, but a couple of tiny weepers—new blade break-in?

48-hour beard

Vintage Hoffritz Slant / Personna Med Prep (2)

Tabac in stick form (German razor, so German soap, ja?)

APShaveCo synthetic tuxedo brush

Clubman SR aftershave, Assured lotion, Clubman powder

No shower today; washed my face and throat, applied the hot face towel over a little Tabac, then rinsed and face-lathered. After my usual 3 minutes' wait, I applied the Hoffritz. Three passes, WTG everywhere, ATG everywhere, XTG with cleanup on the throat, and done. I tried something a little new to me: While trimming the lower edge of my Commander Riker beard along the jawline, I took two fingers and pressed the bearded skin upward, so that the skin below the beard stretched. Result: very smooth skin along those edges. I can still feel the tiniest bit of stubble when I brush ATG on the left side of my neck, but then I didn't do an extra pass there. Utterly smooth it is when I stroke WTG, though.

Verdict: 9.6.

Razor: Above The Tie Atlas R1
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue (1)
Pre-Shave: Hot shower
Lather: Proraso Red Shaving Soap in a bowl
Aftershave: Cold water rinse

No nicks: 5
No irritation: 5
Closeness: 5
Smoothness: 5

No nicks. No irritation. No itching.
Very close and very pleasant shave.

The Atlas R1 was never my friend but with a light touch, it gets the job done.

Rating: 10/10

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
SE SOTD, Sat,Nov21st 2020

Razor: Gem Push button- Mfg 1958-65, lower mid range, I can crank out excellent shaves with beautiful looking razor.
Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE (2) Excellent blade, very sharp, great longevity, smooths out nicely & predictable. Excellent $ Per/Sh.
Brush: Yaqi lucky dice 26mm tuxedo knot, excellent lather creator with a lot more cloud like soft tips with a wee bit more back bone than the 24 mm Yaqi tuxedo knot, enjoy them both a lot.
Soap: Gillette Pure & Remnants of tabac- excellent combo IMO, fragrance and lather qualities. Gillette has a nice scent IMO.
Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar soap cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on the cleaned beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave: Razorock blue barber with witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm.
Results: 10/10 or CCS,DFS,BBs + no irritation + no weepers= :a17:Excellent shave with my Gem Push button with a coated gem blade.

SE SOTD, Sat, Nov21st 2020.jpg

Have some great shaves! Stay & think safe in these times!

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Rating: 10/10
Pre-Shave: Cold water splash - OPR Bay Rum soap
Soap: Goodfellas' Smile Chronos
Brush: Maggards Timberwolf synthetic
Razor: Karve Brass OC (Plate B) w/Charcoal Goods brass Torpedo handle
Blade: Derby Premium (1)
Post-Shave: Cold water splash - Thayers Witch Hazel - Lucky Tiger Face Tonic
AS: Captain's Choice Land Ho!

This is the first perfect shave I've gotten from the Karve OC razor and I'm thrilled! I almost had written this OC razor off as being perhaps just not for me and I decided to dance with her again and WOW! A fresh Derby Premium blade and no injuries or blood at all. Wonderful! The new brush was great...it's a kit brush from Maggards. You buy the handle, the knot and the glue and put it all together yourself. Has been sitting for a week now and it was time for it to get into the rotation. All it has to do now is keep working like it did this morning and not fall apart. A great start to a lovely Saturday.

Happy Shaves, Everyone.

Kit 20201121.jpg

1605973644429.jpeg

Brush: Wild West Brushworks/ 26mm Declaration Grooming B9A
Soap: Zingari Man - The Explorer
Razor: Razorock Gamechanger .68
Blade: Gillette Platinum Plus NOS

10/10: For me, the best post-shave soaps are the usual suspects like Grooming Dept, B&M Soft Heart, Declaration Grooming, etc. But there is nothing quite like Zingari Man.

20201120_075837.jpg

Razor: Gillette 1958 D4 195 Adjustable Fatboy
Blade: Wilkinson Sword Classic (German)
Brush: Simpson's Butterscotch Chubby 2 Synthetic
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Noble Otter Monarch
Aftershave: Maurer and Wirtz 4711
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Pinaud Finest powder
Rating 9

Top Bottom