What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

11/15/2020

Prep: Warm water to the face and cleansing with Dove soap
Pre shave: The bluebeards revenge
Soap: Cella Almond
Razor: Lord L6
Blade: BIC Astor (🤢)
Brush: Wilkinson Pure Bristle
Alum: Osma
Aftershave: Witch Hazel and Noxzema Cool Carbon

Rating: 6/10

Today's shave was my worst to date. Thus the 6/10. Mainly for two reasons. I had some pimples from last time going against the grain and the Bic Astor blade is kinda horrible. Rough, difficult and not at all soft. I had a hard time getting a deep shave. Of course I didn't have the best prep and the Lord L6 is not the best razor of all time but I did NOT expect such performance from a brand new blade. They say it's a matter of luck what shave you'll get out of an astor. Some are good some are not. Simple as that.

However, today was my first time using Cella almond! Such a great smelling and performing soap. Tons of lather and good protection. I might add that it's "thirsty". You have to keep adding water or else you'll get a very thick paste that will feel dry quickly. That's what happened to me today. Maybe this was also a factor that contributed to a bad shave. I did enjoy Cella though.

The bluebeards pre shave is ok. I used the right amount today and I think that if I didn't have it on, I would have had a much worse shave. I did two passes and had zero irritation apart from a tiny pimple that bled. The alum took care of that and it didn't sting at all. Indicative of my improved technique even with a horrible blade like astor.

The Wilkinson brush is small and still stiff but I like it. It just does the job. I am waiting for my Merkur 34c. I will give an update when it arrives.

Should I throw the astor away already?? 😁😁
I would say throw that Lord 6 away - but first destroy it so it does not get used by anyone else! 😝

Daily Shave: 20 November 2020

DSCF2333.JPG

Prep:
Liquid Soap face wash
Razor:
WCS 84S
Soap:
Proraso Green shave cream (using distilled water)
Brush:
Viking Badger
Blade:
BIC / Blade #2 / Shave #7 and out
Passes:
WTG then ATG
Cleanup:
Wiped face dry and then Witch Hazel wipe down
Aftershave:
Pinaud Clubman
Rating:
9.0 DFS+ A good shave with an old blade—felt dull, banked and on to #3. Minimal stubble, no major nicks, but two tiny weepers—clumsiness.

Prep: Medicine Man Beard Wash followed by hot towel
Shave Oil: Tree Hut
Lather: Cremo
Strop: Linen + Cordovan
Brush: EJ badger
Razor: Wacker Classic 2
Rating: Llike shaving with an index finger! - a phrase I first heard here.

I took some time for a leisurely indulgent shave this morning. I don't use Medicine Man as a daily beard wash, but as a prep it has a very deep and penetrating lather - soaks right in to the beard. BTW, I only trim my beard, neckline and cheeks. But the neck is a sensitive area to shave, requires good stretching. I use the clear oil for a partial pass to outline the beard. The clear oil lets me see where I am shaving so I can detail the outline. For the complete pass I tried Cremo for the first time. Great lather and easy to use. And finally, the Wacker was rinsed, dried and placed back in its case, wrapped in VCI paper - respect!

Wacker 112020.jpg

Pre-shave:-
Wrights Coal Tar Soap

Bowl/Scuttle:- Earthenware pot

Br
ush:- Synthetic

Soap/Cream:- Own brew, grated Palmolive shave stick and shaving cream

Razor/Blade:- Parker 96R and Topaz blade (2)

Post/After-shave: Cocoa Butter and night cream mix to keep my allure

Fragrance:- Lacoste

Second shave with a Topaz, must admit that I find the Parker razor quite aggressive, I much prefer my old Gillette.

6/10

05.jpg

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
DE SOTD, Fri, Nov20th,2020- Shaving can be very inexpensive with certain gear for newbies if discipline prevails as show in photo.
The Mingshi2000(Merkur Futur clone) is OK but under the nose there might be better alternatives IMO.(very inexpensive gear for starting out IMO.)

Razor: Mingshi 2000 Adj, Mfg 2017> very inexpensive razor and a good bargin when I bought one for under $10.00 Canadian.
Blade: Gillette Astra SP(1) Great blade, Sharp & smooth with good longevity, one of the first 100 packs I bought.
Soap: Tabac, Mild flowery scent that has calmed down over time, excellent lather qualities.
Brush: Razorock Plissoft 24mm- It was a big improvement over some of my other brushes at the time, still enjoy this one!
Preshave: Brush washed my whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + dollop of Aloe Vera gel on cleaned beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pick ups. Razor settings WTG(3) + ATG(4) + pickups(5).
Post shave: Pinaud Clubman with witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm.
Results: 9.5/10 or CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + 1 blemish weeper= :a17:Excellent shave with my Mingshi 2000 with a ASTRA SP.

DE SOTD, Fri, Nov20th, 2020.jpg

Have some great shaves! Stay & think safe in these times!

Pre Shave: Warm shower, Glycerin Face Wash, Crown Pre Shave Gel
Razor: Brass Karve SB C Plate
Blade: Personna Israeli Red
Brush: Simpson's Commodore X3 Best Badger
Soap: Stirling Sheep
Post Shave: Stypic Pencil, Cold water rinse, Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm, Stirling Executive Man EDT
Rating: 9.50/10 Excellent two pass BBS shave, minimal buffing on chin. Three small weepers, minimal irritation on chin and jaw line and no cuts. Very efficient shave, Stypic Pencil stopped weepers and irritation very minimal, assume due to having it the last three days.

Today’s shave

Razor:
Feather AS-D2
Blade: Nacet (0)
Brush: Zenith B2 boar
Cream: Nivea blue tube
AS: Stirling Bay Rum

9.9/10!

Another work day, another shave! I brought in my Feather to work because I shave 5 out of 7 days here and the other 2 at home..might as well enjoy it more here! Zenith is getting very consistent and breaking in nicely! First time ever using a Nacet. VERY nice! Smooth and slick. Caught myself in teh same spot as yesterday so maybe Monday I'll get a 10!

Eben Stone

Staff member
Prep: hot towel and Edge gel
Blade: Gillette Nacet #2
Razor: RR old type
Brush: RR 400
Soap: SV Opuntia
Aftershave: Omega alum stick, Thayers rose witch hazel, SV Opuntia

The hardware and software I used today were chosen randomly in the shave roulette game:

48 hour whiskers.
3 pass: lukewarm WTG, XTG, ATG, using distilled water. And an extra cleanup pass ATG on my jawline. Went ATG on mustache area.

RR old type is mild + idiot proof + rigid design. I tried various angles, various directions (ignoring growth pattern) and applying some pressure, and it didn't seem to make any difference, no problems. Probably wouldn't want to shave with this razor every day because it would give me bad habits (lazy, you don't have to be careful) and there's absolutely zero blade feel so, IMO, there's no way to improve technique using this razor. Oddly, I was able to very close in my jawline, chin, and under the jawline, with lots of skin stretching, but my cheeks are not very close and feel a little rough.

SV Opuntia + RR 400 + ShaveBowl shave bowl + distilled water was like a lather explosion. First time I've been able to make great lather. Maybe a little to watery to be considered awesome but definately the best so far.

Nacet is sharp and smooth. RR old type + Nacet is a great combination. A great razor for going mustache AGT, I assume because of its rigid design. Zero tugging going mustache WGT/XTG/ATG on 48 hour whiskers.

3 little weepers. Zero alum burn.

👍

Last edited:
Today's shave - 9.5/10- DFS+ with no irritation, smooth and nice.

Razor: Feather AC DX western style- just arrived from Japan. I have one of these at our other house and wanted one for here. Bought this razor through a proxy bidding service in Japan called "From Japan" when they had a sale on Rakuten items. The razor and the Proline blades were expensive to ship, but the savings was considerable, $60+ on the razor and four packs of P30 blades.
Blade: Proline P30 (1)
Brush: New Forest badger
Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat- new puck starting to deliver good lather
AS: alum, rinse then Fine L'Orange Noir
Balm: Nivea sensitive cooling- picked this up at Target yesterday

Stay safe all!

PXL_20201120_172823427.jpg

_20201120_183535.JPG
9.8/10 almost perfect shave other than a couple of little nicks on 2nd pass(due to me trying to be too quick), mixed a little of the Molton Brown cream(that I'm not too keen on) with the Stirling Barbershop, made a beautiful creamy lather, face feels wonderfully smooth(up there with my best shaves) topped of by the moisturiser/post shave balm by cleanshaven. co. uk(i only use my edt's if going out after the shave) 😁
_20201120_182356.JPG

1605897597744.jpeg

Brush: Chisel & Hound/ 26mm Declaration Grooming B10
Soap: Declaration Grooming - Nightfall
Razor: Rockwell 6C/ R4
Blade: Tesco (circa 2008)

9/10: Wonderfull shave. You can see the clumping of B10 even from the side here. These blades might not be in my top tier today, but at one time they were about the best you could get short of the Gillette Swedes. Just about everything works well in the Rockwell.

PXL_20201120_182421517.jpg

Prep: Hot shower and face wash with Pear’s soap
Pre: N/A
Brush: Simpson T3
Soap: TOBS Sandalwood
Razor:Rockwell 6s Plate 5
Blade: Nacet (2nd use)
A/S: Old Spice

This combo was selected by Shave Roulette

Nothing much to say product-wise as I’ve used most of this stuff already recently.

The wheel continues to challenge me with the more aggressive plates. Despite knowing full well that I have a plate 6 shave tomorrow I still did a full three passer and had a very close shave with just a bit of mild irritation on the neck to keep me on my toes - nothing too uncomfortable though. Good ol’ burn from the old Spice.

The T3 brush gets a lot of love in the community but it doesn’t do much for me. I think I’m discovering that I’m generally a fan of the smaller 24mm and under brush sizes. I’ve given it to my girlfriend for legs and delicates which makes using it feel that little bit saucier.

8.5/10

Top Bottom