What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

Razor: Schick N3 Injector razor
Blade: Schick Plus Platinum injector blade
Brush: Rubberset 203 in Super Badger
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Haslinger Shafmilch
Aftershave: Maurer and Wirtz 4711
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Pinaud Finest powder

Rating Ten
20201104_084041.jpg

Pre-shave: Hot shower
Razor: Rex Ambassador
Blade: Personna Red (Israel) (5)
Soap: Sir Hare
Brush: Golden Nib Super 2 band badger
Lather: Face lather with warm skuttle for 2nd/3rd passes (nice for fall/winter)
Shave: 3 pass with touch ups = BBS - no irritation or weepers
Post shave: Hyaluronic Acid serum
Aftershave: Fine American Blend
Cologne: Penhaligon's - Sartorial

9/10 - It was a perfect shave...I only give 10/10 with straights these days.

Thursday shave
Pre-shave: Washed face/PAA The Cube
Razor: 1961 Gillette 195
Blade: Gillette 7 O'clock (2)
Brush: WCS 26mm Pure Badger Beacon Ancient Stone
Soap: PAA Future Fiction
Bowl/Mug: Fleamarket find
Post Shave: PAA Mysterium Serum
AS: PAA Future Fiction

I decided to shave after 24 hours, instead of my normal 48hrs. Had decent stubble, so I broke out the 195 again, and this time made sure it was set on 3.
I washed my face with generic soap, and applied The Cube preshave, and loaded the WCS brush up with the Future Fiction and it made a very nice lather.
Did a 3 pass shave. I could have stopped at 2, but as good as this shave was going, I decided to do 3.
After the shave, I applied the Mysterium balm, and cleaned up from the shave. After the clean up, I splashed on the FF aftershave, and got a minimal feedback, which is obviously a good thing.

It was a very close shave.
Will turn the 195 up to 4 for my next shave.

Today's shave gets a 9

2020-11-05.jpg

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
Thursday shave
Pre-shave: Washed face/PAA The Cube
Razor: 1961 Gillette 195
Blade: Gillette 7 O'clock (2)
Brush: WCS 26mm Pure Badger Beacon Ancient Stone
Soap: PAA Future Fiction
Bowl/Mug: Fleamarket find
Post Shave: PAA Mysterium Serum
AS: PAA Future Fiction

I decided to shave after 24 hours, instead of my normal 48hrs. Had decent stubble, so I broke out the 195 again, and this time made sure it was set on 3.
I washed my face with generic soap, and applied The Cube preshave, and loaded the WCS brush up with the Future Fiction and it made a very nice lather.
Did a 3 pass shave. I could have stopped at 2, but as good as this shave was going, I decided to do 3.
After the shave, I applied the Mysterium balm, and cleaned up from the shave. After the clean up, I splashed on the FF aftershave, and got a minimal feedback, which is obviously a good thing.

It was a very close shave.
Will turn the 195 up to 4 for my next shave.

Today's shave gets a 9

View attachment 1178445
Nice looking brush.

Today's evening shave: 11/5/2020

Prep: Hot shower and face cleansing with dove handsoap
Pre shave: Proraso red
Soap: Proraso red
Razor: Parker 24c
Blade: Muhle (2)
Brush: Omega pro 49
Alum block: OSMA
Aftershave: Proraso red
Balm: Nivea Sensitive

Rating: 7/10

Today was not my day. I don't know if it was the blade or the parker razor but I got alot of weepers on the second and third pass and had several pimples bleed. Luckily the alum block, which stung alot, stopped all bleeding completely. Another problem that I had was that because I wasn't feeling the blade against my skin, I applied pressure. Maybe I shouldn't have done that but the parker being an aggressive razor, I think, should have more feedback. I did get a BBS but I felt it should come easier. Maybe I am still "learning" the razor or maybe the blade was unsuitable, who knows? Anybody have any opinion on that?

The proraso red soap offered adequate protection and cushioning only in the first pass. After that the foam was kinda watered down and thin. It also stung me like an aftershave when applying again and again. The omega boar brush worked just fine and the aftershave was ok. It stung alot. I finished the shave with nivea sensitive balm which helped alot and soothed my skin.

I will let some days pass and try again. I guess today was not my day :)

Take care!

Michael
20201105_225823_2.jpg

- Prep: Bubble bath (p!$$ off, my back was sore! 🤪)
- Brush: Vie Long horse (the smelly horseass brush)
- Razor: Super Speed Red Tip
- Blade: Gillette Wilkinson Sword (India) (3)
- Soap: DG Massacre of the Innocents
- Aftershave: Nivea Men Deep
- Post Shave: Nivea Sensitive Balm and Hyaluronic Acid

The WS blade is much better in my 6S, but still a pretty close shave in the Red Tip.

I am really liking Nivea‘s men’s products. First time trying the Nivea Deep AS and it is excellent. Nice mild scent and feels good on the skin. Costs $6, maybe? Excellent value. Everyone here seems to know about the balm, so no need to say anything other than it is also excellent.

9/10

Prep: Warm water, wife's hoity-toity face wash
Soap: Stirling "Sheep" (Unscented)
Razor: Merkur 38C
Blade: Kai Stainless (#1)
Brush: Simpson T3 (The Lather Cannon, baby!)
Post Shave: Alum block, cold water, Proraso (white)

Wog-O-Meter: 9.2/10

Probably the closest shave I've had yet. The Kai blade provided... a new experience. The first couple strokes plowed through my beard so easily I stopped to make sure there was actually a blade in the razor (there was) but I was also seeing noticeable stubble left behind which I'm not used to. A couple more swipes and I'm seeing the same thing. Hmmmm... So I adjusted the angle and kept going, looking for the sweet spot. Changing the angle quickly drove home a salient point: this babe is all business, all the time with little or no room for error. Like the crazy red-head that whispers in your ear, "If you so much as look at another woman... I. Will. Cut. You.) it's an exhilaration, born of weighing obvious risk and questionable reward: a dangerous, fiery seduction.

I'm pretty sure I could have stopped at two passes and that pass number three (ATG) shaved beard growing in the furthest reaches of the Fourth Dimension. I toweled my face dry. I see my other blades bowing and scraping in the shadow of the Kai, some were openly weeping. Putting all this aside, I reached for my alum block, and not without some trepidation, I don't mind telling you. It's tutelage, if stern, was not entirely severe. I am humbled, but not broken.

Eben Stone

Staff member
Today was not my day. I don't know if it was the blade or the parker razor but...

...Maybe I am still "learning" the razor or maybe the blade was unsuitable, who knows? Anybody have any opinion on that?

I still consider myself a noob. I'm sure some more experienced shavers will have better ideas. But there is one thing that I have done that seemed to improve my technique.

I took a scientific approach to "testing" my shaves. Keep everything the same from shave to shave, for 5 to 7 shaves (assuming your blade lasts that long), then only introduce one new item. Repeat.

Using this method it is easy to determine if the newly introduced item performs better or worse, for you, compared to the old item.

I know you have at least 3 razors. Pick one and stick with it for maybe a month. Ditch the Muhle blade (at least for now) and use something that is more highly rated (read through some of the forums here to get ideas). It's all YMMV. Maybe Astra SP or Wilkinson Sword for a "neutral" or "middle of the road" blade. Maybe ask in the shaving clinic what is a good blade to start with. Get a few blade brands (maybe 2 or 3) and stick with only those for a month, 5 to 7 shaves each, without changing anything else.

That helped me improve my technique. And I could tell immediately if a new item was good or bad for me. I did that for about 2 months, and now I use something different every day.

My Thursday Morning Shave
Prep: Warm shower​
Strop: Tony Miller​
Two pass shave w/ touchup: WTG, ATG/XTG​
Razor: Ralf Aust 5/8 Full Hollow Spanish Point​
Pre-Shave Cream: Proraso Red, Sandalwood & Shea Butter​
Brush: WCS Beacon Silvertip Badger 24mm​
Soap: Williams Mug Shaving Soap​
Aftershave: Proraso Blue Alcohol Free Aftershave Balm, Aloe and Vitamin E​
Rating: 9.5/10 DFS! No irritation, one "vanishing" nick...

proxy.php

Thu 5th SOTD with same setup by reusing yesterday leftover lather.
Soap The Goodfellas Smile Chronos
Brush Yaqi 24mm Sagrada Familia
Razor Game Changer.84-P SB
Blade Personna Lab Blue 2nd
Post & Aftershave
Ice Water + Special Thayers Mix
Hyaluronic + Aqua Velva Musk
Used same setup because yesterday's lather was too much leftover and able to be re-used again this morning. Still as creamy and slick with nice scent.
Shave with razor paired with blade was smooth and comfortable for 3+1passes without issues. Rating 9.8/10
20201105_173641.jpg

Prep: Warm Water Splashes + Glycerin Face Wash
Razor: Parker SRB Shavette
Blade: Gillette 7O'Clock Green Indian Half Blade (D1)
Brush: Shavemac Silvertip Badger
Soap: MdC Rose
Aftershave: Alum Block + Cold Water Rinse + Anherb AS Balm
Rating : 9.8 /10
Very very nice BBS in 2.5 passes !!

Παρασκευή. Από αύριο "απαγορευτικό" καραντίνα πάλι

Razor: Blackland Blackbird
Blade: BIC (5)
Soap : Meissner Tremonia / Mixture of 13 samples
Brush : Simpson Chubby 2 Manchurian

XTG=>XTG=> DFS/BBS 10.0/10.0

Great combinations! Two passes no ATG and almost BBS. Blackland Blackbird really makes the difference.

Top Bottom