What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

Razor: Razorock Mamba 70
Blade: PolSilver Super Iridium (2)
Brush: RazoRock Plissoft Monster Synthetic 26mm
Lather: Haslinger Schafmilch Rasierseife Organic
Aftershave: Alum block followed by Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm

No nicks: 4.5
No irritation: 4.5
Closeness: 5
Smoothness: 5

One nick. Mild irritation. Close and smooth shave.
Alum report was mild. It is easy for me to over shave with the Mamba 70 and the PolSilver SI.

I had forgotten how excellent the PolSilver SI is!!!

Rating: 9.5/10

Prep: Warm Water Splashes + Glycerin Face Wash
Razor: Parker SRB Shavette
Blade: Wilkinson Sword India Half Blade (D2 and out)
Brush: Omega 11137
Soap: Haslinger Coconut
Aftershave: Alum Block + Cold Water Rinse + Anherb AS Balm
Rating : 9.8 /10
Very very nice BBS in 2.5 passes !!

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Rating: 9.5/10
Pre-Shave: Cold water splash - OPR Bay Rum soap
Soap: Barrister and Mann Terror
Brush: Maggards synthetic
Razor: EJ Chatsworth w/WCS SS handle
Blade: Derby Premium (3)
Post-Shave: Cold water splash - Thayers Witch Hazel - Lucky Tiger Face Tonic
AS: Captain's Choice Land Ho!

Beautiful shave this morning! Terror is such a good performer. Even the way it paints on my face is...perfect! First use of a new brush, I purchased two synthetics from Maggards.

Happy Shaves, Everyone!

Kit 20201026.jpg

Rex Envoy
Perma-Sharp Blade
Colonel Conk Lime
Vikings Blade White Knight brush
Alum block and Fine Green Vetiver A/S

7.5/10

Perma-Sharp seemed to work best with the Rex Envoy so far. I still need to try a Dorco Titan and a Topaz Stainless in it, hoping one of them gives a smooth shave, as those are my two newest blade acquisitions.

Daily Shave: 26 October 2020

No picture today, got in a rush to get chores done

Prep:
Dial Liquid Soap face wash
Razor:
WCS 84S
Soap:
Viking ‘uber’ lather using rain water
Brush:
Omega 11126
Blade:
Gillette Nacet / Blade #4 / Shave #1
Passes:
2 (WTG & ATG)
Witch Hazel wipe down / Pinaud Clubman A/S
Rating:
9.5 BBS A nice 1st shave with a new blade. The only nick resulted from scab removal.

Yesterday's shave proved to be pretty good as again this morning I still had some smooth spots on my face. I find when I have such short stubble the shave can be tricky.

Someday 2 on the Personna Red and it held up like you expect, above average. The soap was great as always paired up with the @Graydog syn brush. Some witch hazel, unscented splash and Baker St edt finished off a 2 pass shave. Again, not chasing BBS, I am chasing comfort.

8.8/10

KM

PXL_20201026_113326353.jpg

Actually, yesterday, Sunday:

24-hour beard

Gillette postwar fat-handled Tech, the champagne gold one, w/ a Derby Premium blade (2)

Mix of Trumper's almond Cream and Original Barbasol

No brush!

Clubman SR aftershave, Assured lotion, Clubman powder

No shower; I washed my face and applied the hot wet towel for a bit. Trumper's Almond was a pre-shave, though I laid it on a little thicker, then applied the Barbasol foam. After my usual 3 minutes, I rinsed it all off and applied both again, then went to work with the Tech. One pass WTG, a second ATG on the throat, and I was done. A nice scent of baby powder lingered afterward, mixing with the Clubman. Verdict: 9.4.

IMG_1730.jpg

Razor: Karve SS with straight bar plate in "B".
Blade: Personna Med Prep on its 3rd shave.
Brush: Omega Pro 49.
Sopa: Cella EEP (as usual)
AS: Proraso Red splash.

Shave was an 8.75/10. Very nice shave with a nice finish.
Man I love that Omega Pro. No matter what I use, it always outperforms even the highest end brushes I have used over the years. To me, it is the perfect mix of softness, backbone flow-through and size. It just whips up the finest lather, and then starts flingin' it around the bathroom!

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Do you honestly notice any difference? I use a lot of KAIs and don’t notice any difference in blade width whatsoever. They remind me of Feathers but a bit smoother and they do last longer.

I see this tiny blade width difference mentioned all the time on B&B. The difference is just over 1/5th of a mm or the width of 2-3 human hairs. Not enough IMO for most wet shavers to even notice.

YMMV...
Do not agree that it is not noticeable because my shave results indicate better YMMV, if a razor is designed neutral or .001 or .002 thousands of positive blade exposure like a lot of milder razors are and now you add .0045 thousands extra blade exposure per side you will notice a nice improvement in efficentcy and blade feel. A human hair on average is .004 thousands of a inch (it is not a lot but to a razor it is substantial IMO)
1603722483674.png

Click here to go to the Comprehensive DE Razor Blade Data Table
The table shows different widths of different razor blades, I even measured a Kai blade to confirm if it is wider & it is.
Hope this helps to clear any differences In opinions!
Have some great shaves!

Last edited:
Monday, October 26th- 8/10- two day growth, one pass, I went hard on my chin with the new blade resulting in a little irritation, no nicks but not as smooth as it should be.

Razor- MMFW
Blade- Gem SS (1)-not as careful as I should have been
Brush- Simpsons Trafalgar 2
Soap- Arko stick
AS- Fine American Blend- just a touch of menthol and a lovely scent

May all your shaves be smooth and nick free!
PXL_20201026_143756495.jpg

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
MMMonday, OCtober 26th, 2020

Razor:Gem Micromatic open comb- Mfg 1930-41, excellent mid range. More than likely saved the company through the dirty 30's.
Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE(4) Excellent blade, very sharp, good longevity, nicely smooths out & predictable.
Soap:Razorock The Dead Sea- nice scent with excellent lather qualities- nice heavy glass container.
Brush: Yaqi lucky dice tuxedo knot 26 mm- excellent lather creator with those cloud like soft tips & some back bone.
Pre shave: Brush wash my whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser+ a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on clean beard area.
Prep: cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pick ups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave: Razorock The Dead Sea aftershave with witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm.
Results: 9.5/10 or CCS,DFS,BBS+ no irritation + 1 blemish weeper = :a17:Excellent shave with my Gem MMOC and Gem blade.
MMMonday OCtober 26th, 2020.jpg

Have some great shaves! Stay & think safe in these times!

Eben Stone

Staff member
Prep: hot towel and Shave Secret
Blade: PSI #6
Razor: Muhle R89
Brush: Muhle synthetic
Soap: GFT coconut
Aftershave: alum, Thayers rose witch hazel

48 hour whiskers. 3 pass: hot WTG, lukewarm XTG, ATG. 2 extra ATG passes on the chin and jawline.

The software and hardware I used today were chosen randomly in the shave roulette game (although I screwed up and used the R89 instead of the Boker butterfly, oops):

The blade did an amazing job cutting through my 48 hour whiskers with zero tugging. But the R89 and my limited skills just isn't efficient enough to get a close shave. 5 passes on the chin and jawline and it's still rough.

👎

Last edited:
20201025_074918.jpg

Razor: Kampfe Bros. Star HR-14B Lather Catcher
Blade: Personna GEM PTFE Stainless Steel Blade
Brush: Rick Montalvo Grade A Silvertip Badger
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Razorock Mudder Focker
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Pinaud Finest powder