What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

Pre-shave:- Argan Oil liquid soap
Bowl/Scuttle:- None
Brush:- Synthetic
Soap/Cream:- Palmolive
Razor/Blade:- Wilkinson TTO and Treet
Post/After-shave: Cocoa Butter and night cream mix to keep my allure
Fragrance:- Lacoste

Good razor and blade 10/10

Copy of P31.JPG

How do you like Rasozero? I've seen it on a vendors web site and it's very inexpensive. Looks like a very good bargain.
I'm really impressed by it, Fred. Check out my "love at first use" post (yesterday's shave) if you like.
I had the same soap...a blind buy. It was as described by @Cal...a very affordable, nice lemony scent and surprisingly good quality. Just did not have the splash...cannot ship to my place... :confused:

AS: Pinaud Clubman Sweet Rum
I used a new splash, Sweet Rum from Pinaud. It's sweet...I smell rum and blackberries in it. Interesting splash. Looking forward to a great Saturday!
Happy Shaves, Everyone!
Very nice Sweet Rum from Pinaud!! Thanks for the post...and a brief description
I love Pinaud Clubman AS...tried but unable to get it to ship to my place.
Have a great weekend!

Razor: Above the Tie R1 with Kronos handle, vintage 2014 model from the Stan era
Blade: Personna US Lab Blue, with the old blue wrapper; 2014? (5 and out)
Brush: Omega Baby Pro boar
Soap: Stirling Coniferous
Rating: 8.0

This morning's shave on 3 days of growth. BBS after WTG/XTG/ATG passes. However, too many nicks to count (all on the neck except for one under the lower lip) and delayed burning on the neck during the shave. I should have retired the blade after the last shave #4, but I thought if I made a wetter lather, I would be OK. Wrong. All seemed OK, but after shaving my neck and moving on to other areas, I began to feel burning on the neck and eventually, the areas of irritation there began to bleed.

So my learning from this: throw away the blade when resistance/tugging/pulling is felt; blades are cheap enough to not gamble with stretching them for more shaves. When I examined the blade after removing it from the razor, I noticed that its edges looked terrible, with staining and other imperfections.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
SE SOTD, Sat, Oct 10th,2020

Razor: Gem Junior 1912 parade-Mfg 1943,mid range. One of my favorites with the baton handle, easy to manipulate.
Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE(8)- excellent blade, very sharp with excellent longevity.
Soap: TOBS sandal wood- nice scent with great lather qualities.
Brush: Yaqi Rainbow with brown whiskers 26 mm- Excellent brush to create lather with cloud like soft tips.
Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of Aloe Vera gel on beard area after cleaned.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave: Proraso red sandal wood with witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm.
Results: 10/10 or CCS,DFS,BBS+ no irritation + no weepers= :a17:Excellent shave with my Gem Jr 1912 parade.

SE SOTD, Sat, Oct 10th 2020.jpg

Have some great shaves! Stay and think safe in these times!

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Pre ...splashed on hot water
Lather...a quicker lather than usual (6-7 seconds) with Pre de Provence and the Kent BK4. At least with this soap it made for a better and thicker lather than taking longer yields. More whipping yields more but fluffier and not as lubricating. There was plenty for three passes.
Scraped the face with the same old Crystal (18) in the EJ DE89 for three attentive passes.
Showered.
Splashed on 4711 cologne as aftershave

10/10 BBS

1602346531134.jpeg

Brush: 28mm APShave Co. Synbad
Razor: Razorock GameChanger .68
Blade: Gillette Platinum
Soap: Stirling Sandpiper
A/S: Stirling Sandpiper

9/10: This is a very, very close shave. I love the scent, but I don’t think the Sandpiper soap and splash leave my skin the way I prefer. This was a great first run with the GameChanger.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
Saturday morning shave

Razor: Rich Leukroth Empire State
Brush: Synthetic
Soap: Arko

A great shave this morning. Getting a keener edge is making a difference. A very close comfortable shave. Basking in the Arko, Clubman scentorama. Happy Saturday!
AB9DA9C6-2BED-4165-8591-78B70C78C9A7.jpeg

9/10

Razor: Gillette Post War Ball End Tech (1947-1951)
Blade: Gillette 7 O’Clock Sharpedge (Russian Yellow) (2)
Brush: Henri et Victoria: Superfine Two-Band Badger 22mm
Pre-Shave: Face Scrub, Thayers, Hyaluronic Acid
Lather: Henri Et Victoria: Chestnut L’Orange
Aftershave: Stirling Pumpkin Spice
A0BB8306-9A57-43DF-B761-0E2090B95907.jpeg

Shave Rating: 9.4/10
Back to the Future
I’m trying to readjust to DE after all the time I’ve been spending with my SE GEMs and Autostrops.
The first thing I’m noticing is how mild these Techs and Superspeeds shave. I was using one of my favorite Gillette “Yellow” Sharpedge blades and kept looking at the razor to make sure I had a blade in it. The razor and blade were super smooth but I found that no matter how many passes I made, I couldn’t obtain a BBS on my neck. That in itself is not really a big deal, but I think I may be switching to Feather blades in these mild razors for future shaves.

As usual, the Henri et Victoria soap was “magnifique”! I could have made twenty passes without any irritation. My bowl of lather was as perfect as perfect can be. It makes me wonder if using a H et V brush with H et V soap makes a difference. I’m sure when they were testing prototype brushes, they were testing it on their own soap...or I’m just over-thinking things. Anyway, my H et V soaps are now back at the top of my rotation, and their brushes have always been there.

Rester en Sécurité

Today I felt like I needed to mix some things up as you know, when your on a roll of good shaves you have to change things up. So here was me setting myself up to fail.

This GBar has been in my possession for over two months and I haven't used it. It acted a lot like a Featherweight. A smooth shaved, but quite where a BulletTip or 1912 is for me.

Then I tossed a blue carbon blade in. Which I have had a good shave with but not regularly.

With a PTFE coated blade this razor may be great, and it will get the chance it deserves. The soap was great, the brush is what it has always been for me.

This EDT from Stirling has been maybe one or two let downs from that company out of over probably 30 scents. I have had tried it numerous times but the scent isn't strong or lasting. I also don't find it to near as good of a close as their other scents. Although I will always be a big Stirling guy as I love the value, performance and variety of his work.

So I actually tossed the blade in the 1912 for my clean up and it helped some as that razor is much like the Gillette black handle SS to me. We just mesh.

8.2/10

KM

PXL_20201010_142326969.jpg

Saturday Afternoon SOTD

Pre: Cold water face rinse & TOBS Jermyn St. Pre-Shave Gel
Razor: Merkur 34G
Blade: Astra SP (4)
Brush: Maggard Synthetic Marble 24mm
Soap: Declaration Grooming Darkfall, face lathered
Aftershave: Declaration Grooming Darkfall
Score: 9.5/10

• BBS above neck, 3 passes WTG XTG ATG
  • DFS+++ below neck, 2 passes WTG XTG
  • One weeper below bottom lip, could feel a bit of blade tug but kept going for whatever reason, cleared up with cold rinse

A very enjoyable shave all around. Face lathering has made a considerable difference in my shaves lately. Far more comfortable, less nicks, and a consistent slick lather almost every time. I've been alternating between Declaration Grooming and Barrister & Mann and they've really helped aid in my technique. I've also stopped going full ATG on my chin and instead do short criss cross patterns and I get a near BBS result almost every time if I'm careful.
61E486FC-5845-4AA8-8EC8-DF46E3863FDA.jpeg

Eben Stone

Staff member
Prep: Shave Secret pre shave oil
Blade: Polsilver Super Iridium #1 @stoof2010
Razor: Muhle R41
Soap: Lather & Wood bay rum
Aftershave: alum and Thayers rose witch hazel
3 pass: WTG XTG ATG

OMG I love these blades! I purposely skipped shaving yesterday as an experiment to give whatever next blade I picked a run for its money.

Last time I tried that, using a Feather, it turned out horribly. I wanted to toss the blade half way into the first pass.

So today, after skipping a day, I shaved with a polsilver and I got a DFS++ with almost zero effort. No tugging. No blood (OK I got like maybe 3 little weepers but that's it).

This is the closest I've got to a BBS shave so far. I can feel a place under my chin/jawline that isn't true BBS but it sure is close and smooth. That's my problem area, maybe it doesn't get any closer than this without blood.

👍

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
OCtober 2020 #7
20201010_104136~2.jpg

Razor: Ikon OG1 (Dual Comb) (Ikon SE90 Handle)
Blade: Personna Israeli Platinum Red (5)
Touch-up Razor: Schick Type E
Blade: Schick (14 passes)
Brush: Zenith S10 26mm Synthetic
Bowl: Bamboo
Lather: A&E L'Orange Verte
Aftershave: Fine L'Orange Noir
Cologne: G eàu Black EdT Spray (Belcam version of Acqua Di Gio Profumo)

Additional post-shave skin care:
20201010_131540~2.jpg

WTG,ATG,XTG plus a touch-up pass.

DFS++ with no nicks, cuts, weepers or irritation.

Wonderful shave! :)

Razor: Razorock Mamba 70
Blade: Rapira Platinum Lux (4)
Prep: Nivea Sensitive Face Wash
Lather: Aveeno Theraputic Shave Gel
Aftershave: Alum followed by Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm

No nicks: 5
No irritation: 5
Closeness: 4.75
Smoothness: 5

No nicks. No irritation. Very close and very smooth shave.

Rating: 9.875/10

My Saturday Afternoon Shave
Prep: Warm shower​
Strop: Tony Miller​
Two pass shave w/ touch-up​
Razor: Buck 39 Salient By Caleb Cooper- Matte Black G10​
Pre-Shave Cream: Proraso Red, Sandalwood & Shea Butter​
Brush: Elite Razor Quilted Sapele w/ 24mm Mother Load​
Soap: Colonel Conk Natural Shave Cream Rio Grande Lavender​
Aftershave: Proraso After Shave Balm, Cypress & Vetyver​
Rating: 9.8/10 DFS! No irritation! One miniscule nick that disappeared with my rinse

proxy.php

Top Bottom