What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
Sunday morning shave

Razor: Dorko
Brush: Horse
Soap: L’Occitane Cade

A very nice shave this morning. It’s been a while since Ive used L’Occitane cream, does the job nicely. Basking in Brut and getting on with Sunday.
0897F171-E0BB-4BDA-8FD9-A3D679C0185A.jpeg

9/10

Eben Stone

Staff member
Prep: Noxema facial cleanser and Shave Secret pre shave oil
Blade: Derby Extra #1 @stoof2010
Razor: Muhle R41
Soap: Lather & Wood bay rum
Aftershave: Lather & Wood bay rum
3 pass: WTG XTG ATG

Used a new Derby Extra today. Except for the blade I used the same procedure and technique as yesterday.

Yesterday = Astra = 10 little weepers = DFS

Today = Derby = 1 little weeper = SAS (too much stubble to call it a CCS)

Surprisingly I was able to finish the first stroke with the Derby blade without wanting to toss it. My prior experience with a Derby blade made me want to toss it 1/4 inch into the first stroke of the shave. Maybe the other Derby blade was counterfeit (I got the other one from some random sample pack on Amazon).

This was a very easy shave, no blood no nicks no cuts no abrasions no post shave irritation. I did not have to tug the razor for the blade to cut. However it did not result in a close shave. Some parts of jawline feels like 80 grit sandpaper.

I did enjoy the easy shave and no blood (I'm ignoring the 1 little weeper) but the results in terms of closeness are disappointing in my opinion. So far I have had significantly better results with Wilkinson, Supermax, Shark, and Astra.

👎

20200927_130153.jpg

Every new badger I have has gotten the method described by @ambrose as can be found below. Does a lot to get most of the stink out and soften the hairs a bit. How To Break In A Brush & Get The Funk Out - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/how-to-break-in-a-brush-get-the-funk-out.139297/
Thanks for the tip! I will keep it in mind for the future. Fortunately, during shave #2 with the brush today, I noticed that the badger odor has almost completely faded.

First time with Martin de Candre soap. Got a 15shaves sample Puck in a lot I got from a B&B member few weeks ago and thought it was time to try it. From the scent would say its agrumes. Very pleasant 3 passes shave and closed with Lucky Tiger because of yesterday's nicks. 10/10 Btw if you want a cheap synth brush that works nice and might be my favorite handle because of the weight, you can't go wrong with the 9 bucks yaqi defect, the 26mm red marble synthetic. Still can't see the defect. Fan shape.
IMG_20200927_161439.jpg

IMG_20200927_160841.jpg

Razor: GEM Micromatic Bullet Tip Flying Wing with Guiding Eye
Blade: GEM by Personna SS PTFE (5)
Brush: Simpson Berkeley 46 Best Badger, brand new and its second use today
Soap: Williams
Rating: 9.0

Early afternoon shave after a day of growth. BBS after WTG/XTG/ATG passes; one nick where the heavy GEM blade shaved off the head of a clogged pore, but hey, that is to be expected with a heavier blade or straight razor. Very good lather today from the new Simpson brush and the Williams soap, but I felt quite a bit of razor burn during the shave - which vanished a minute after the shave. However, later today, when I was doing some things outside and broke a sweat, my face was on fire and felt like I had shaved with a Gillette Fusion. Later, when I looked in the mirror, I noticed that my neck was red. This is a mystery to me, but I am taking off 1 point from the rating as a result.

My Sunday Afternoon Shave
Prep: Warm shower​
Two pass shave: WTG, ATG/XTG​
Strop: Tony Miller​
Razor: Buck 39 Salient By Caleb Cooper - Matte Black G10​
Pre-Shave Cream: Proraso Red, Sandalwood & Shea Butter​
Brush: Rudy Vey w/ Synbad Synthetic​
Soap: Proraso Shaving Soap for Sensitive Skin​
Aftershave: Proraso After Shave Balm, Cypress & Vetyver​

Rating: 8.7/10 Close shave. A couple of nicks. No irritation.
  • Would have been an excellent shave if not for one decent nick. All my fault - did something stupid
  • I do like this razor
  • I do like this brush
proxy.php

Razor: Razorock Mamba 53
Blade: Gillette Perma-Sharp (Russian) (2)
Brush: RazoRock Plissoft Monster Synthetic Shaving Brush - 26mm
Lather: Proraso Green Cream
After shave: Dickinson’s Witch Hazel Astringent

No nicks: 4
No irritation: 5
Closeness: 4
Smoothness: 5

1 nick. No irritation. Not super close. Very smooth.

Rating: 9/10

Soap: Stirling Pumpkin Spice
Razor: '79 Tech (UK)
Brush: Omega Boar
Blade: Treet Classic (2)
Aftershave: Old Spice

My first "second" shave with a carbon steel blade. I usually treat them as 1 and done. I've just been taking it out of the razor, drying it off, and keeping it out of the razor over night. No signs of rust yet, and the blade performed just as well as it did yesterday. Pretty happy about it.

Razor: GEM Micromatic Bullet Tip Flying Wing with Guiding Eye
Blade: GEM by Personna SS PTFE (5)
Brush: Simpson Berkeley 46 Best Badger, brand new and its second use today
Soap: Williams
Rating: 9.0

Early afternoon shave after a day of growth. BBS after WTG/XTG/ATG passes; one nick where the heavy GEM blade shaved off the head of a clogged pore, but hey, that is to be expected with a heavier blade or straight razor. Very good lather today from the new Simpson brush and the Williams soap, but I felt quite a bit of razor burn during the shave - which vanished a minute after the shave. However, later today, when I was doing some things outside and broke a sweat, my face was on fire and felt like I had shaved with a Gillette Fusion. Later, when I looked in the mirror, I noticed that my neck was red. This is a mystery to me, but I am taking off 1 point from the rating as a result.
I usually go for my morning walk or hike before shaving. The sweat pouring off your brow is loaded with salt and can sting a freshly shaved face.

Soap: Stirling Pumpkin Spice
Razor: '79 Tech (UK)
Brush: Omega Boar
Blade: Treet Classic (2)

My first "second" shave with a carbon steel blade. I usually treat them as 1 and done. I've just been taking it out of the razor, drying it off, and keeping it out of the razor over night. No signs of rust yet, and the blade performed just as well as it did yesterday. Pretty happy about it.
I have some PTFE-coated carbon steel Treets in blue boxes (not the black blades) that usually last me 3 or 4 shaves even without removing them from the razor after each shave, which is fine with me because they were only $0.07 per blade.

NEW LC -"custom" brass handle harbor freight.
Personna Israeli red (7)
Palmolive stick grated in bowl
Omega 10066
Old spice AS splash
Nivea sensitive balm

All in all I'll give it an 9
Blade may be going down hill. Little rough feeling. Could also be that I haven't shaved with this razor since I don't remember when. Either way 1 pass plus touch-up and only feel stubble a little against the grain. No irritation. No blood. For a 1 pass plus touch-up it was an awesome shave!!!
Now what to use tomorrow..... Haha.
Hi ho hi ho it's off to work I go!!

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
20200927_125702~2.jpg

Pre-shave: Pinaud Clubman Shave Oil
Razor (ATG, XTG): @Blackland Razors Vector
Blade: Feather Artist Club Professional Super (3)
Razor (WTG): Feather SS Artist Club Japanese Straight
Blade: Kai Captain Titan Protouch w/Guard (6)
Brush: @Graydog Backyard Maple (TNS 26mm Full Moon)
Lather: Mitchell's Wool Fat

Post-shave skin care:
20200923_124752~2.jpg

WTG, ATG, XTG. Minor touch-up.

DFS+ with one small weeper.

Beautiful, relaxing Sunday shave! :)

I spent all of last week on holiday using the below setup.

Pre-shave (in order of use)
- Jack Black Pure Clean Daily Facial Cleanser
- Clinique for Men Face Scrub
- Nuage for men Menthol Pre-Shave Oil
- La Toja shave stick

Post-shave (in order of use)
- Omega Alum Block
- Kiehl Powerful-Strength Line-Reducing Concentrate Serum
- Scottish Fine Soaps Thistle and Black Pepper aftershave balm
- Jack Black Double Duty Face Moisturiser

Tools
- Edwin Jagger DE86
- Israeli Red
- Omega 50014

Shave Rating: 8.5/10
A great week of shaves with this travel setup. The La Toja stick provided a great lather with nice cushion, slickness and residual slickness and the Omega travel brush was easy to face lather it with. Good to get away on holiday and to get some pleasant shaves in while away.

Mon 28 SE SOTD
Soap PAA Cavendish
Brush Yaqi 26mm Orange Black
Razor GEM Push Button
Blade GEM Stainless 2nd use
Post & Aftershave
Ice Water + Special Thayers Mix
Hyaluronic + PAA Cavendish Splash
My top soap. Love the scent. Good performance too. Creamy ans slick.
2nd shave with this SE razor & blade. Was careful with the angle. Generally smooth. Abit tricky on the neck going atg. 1 weeper as a result which disappear after rinsing. Managed and enjoyed a 3+1pass. Result was a satisfactory DFS++. Post and aftershave was excellent... cavendish splash is heavenly. Rating 9/10
20200927_232046.jpg

20200928_175312.jpg

Top Bottom