What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

Razor: Edwin Jagger 3ONE6 Knurled Handle
Blade: Polsilver Super Iridium (3)
Brush: RazoRock Plissoft Monster Synthetic Shaving Brush - 26mm
Lather: Proraso Green shaving cream
Aftershave: Aqua Velva Classic

Third shave with this new acquisition.

1 nick that stopped on cold rinse. No irritation. No itching.
Very close and pleasant shave.

Aqua Velva report was mild until it found the remains of a blister on my hand. Then things got a little exciting. :lol:

Rating: 9.8/10

Brush: Thater 28mm silvertip
Lather: DG 88 Chestnut St
Razor: Timeless Ti .95
Blade: Personna Platinum (1)

Excellent shave today! First with the timeless. It seems to have a slightly different angle than my other razors, so I need a few more to get the hang of it. But overall, very smooth, little irritation and no cuts. Awesome.

10/10

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Rating: 9/10
Pre-Shave: Cold water splash - OPR Bay Rum soap
Soap: Barrister and Mann Reserve Waves
Brush: Yaqi Red Marbleized Tuxedo synthetic
Razor: EJ Chatsworth w/Signature shaving SS anodized handle
Blade: Wizamet Super Iridium (4)
Post-Shave: Cold water splash - Witch Hazel - Lucky Tiger Face Tonic
AS: Stirling Deep Blue Sea

Very nice shave from the EJ Chatsworth with a Wizamet blade in it. Putting a Derby Premium in this razor next. An aquatic day with Waves and Deep Blue Sea. I didn't quite dial in the soap the way I know I can, but the shave was good nevertheless. It was a little wet and runny for my taste. I've used this soap and gotten it right before, so I know it was me this morning. B&M Waves provides ample protection and slickness. No issues with cuts, nicks or weepers.

Very much pressed for time this morning so I'm posting everything in the afternoon from a morning shave.

Happy Shaves, Everyone!

Kit 20200912.jpg

Razor: 1960 Gillette Fatboy; adjustable set to 5 today
Blade: US Personna Lab Blue, in blue wrapper (2014?), before they switched to plain white a couple years ago (shave #8)
Brush: Simpson Commodore X2 Best Badger
Soap: Stirling Texas on Fire
Rating: 9.0

This afternoon's shave on over two days of beard growth. BBS after WTG/XTG/ATG passes, no burning or irritation, but 4 or 5 painless and undetected nicks on the neck and under the lower lip, so deducting 1.0 from the score.

After shave #8, the Personna blade shows no sign of losing its edge. The cause of the unnoticeable nicks are a head scratcher, since I am not feeling any irritation or itching or tugging that would indicate a worn out blade; still, I might swap out the blade before my next shave with this razor.

My Saturday Afternoon Shave
Prep: Warm shower w/ a little conditioner on my whiskers​
One pass shave​
Razor: Le Grelot 5/8 SR​
Pre-Shave Cream: Proraso Red, Sandalwood & Shea Butter​
Brush: Elite Razor Spalted Maple handle w/ Full Moon Synthetic 26mm​
Soap: Seville Shaving Soap (Excelsior Base)​
Aftershave: Proraso Blue Alcohol Free Aftershave Balm, Aloe and Vitamin E​
Rating: 8.0/10 No nicks! No irritation!
  • I had higher expectations with this razor, even with just one pass. This has been my keenest edged SR. (Hopefully it was the soap and not me messing up the edger while stropping.)
  • My razor was dragging. I am assuming it was the soap; maybe it was too dry. I usually don't have dryness issues with this brush
    • My wife complained about the scent. I assume it was the B&M soap, as I have used this pres-shave and this aftershave quite often. This is the second B&M soap scent she has voiced negativities about... (If the wife ain't happy, no one's happy.)
  • I only did one pass because the pizza we ordered arrived while I was shaving. Priorities after all....
    • The one-pass shave probably helped with no nicks

Eben Stone

Staff member
Lukewarm rinse.
New Derby blade.
Boker razor.
Lather and Wood cream.
5/10

2 pass WTG AGT. Used lukewarm water to rinse the razor. A few nicks and adrasions. Not a comfortable shave. Not a very close shave.

Yesterday's shave using the same procedure but with a 7 time Wilkinson blade was noticeably better.

Lukewarm rinse.
New Derby blade.
Boker razor.
Lather and Wood cream.
5/10

2 pass WTG AGT. Used lukewarm water to rinse the razor. A few nicks and adrasions. Not a comfortable shave. Not a very close shave.

Yesterday's shave using the same procedure but with a 7 time Wilkinson blade was noticeably better.
Sorry about the Derby blade. I was usually able to at least get one good shave out of them before the edge degraded.

Razor: Christopher Bradley Stainless with B plate
Blade: Nacet
Brush: Wolf Whiskers with a silver tip Shavemac knot
Soap: Saponificio Varesino - Opuntia
Aftershave: Saponificio Varesino - Opuntia

This was my first shave with this razor and will certainly say it is a very smooth razor. I will be moving up to the C plate for the next shave as the B was very efficient but really mild.

IMG_2212.jpg

Today's post is a two-for-one...

Yesterday:
Razor: Gillette Super Blue, RazoRock Hawk v2
Blades: Meijer store-brand German blade (1), Feather AC Pro (1)
Cream: Gillette Pure
Brush: RazoRock BC Plissoft synthetic

What a disappointment. Got a dud blade out of the pack and had a first pass where basically nothing was cut. Loaded up the Hawk and rescued the shave, but it wasn't nearly as good as I've become accustomed to over the last couple of weeks. I couldn't seem to get my neck shaved properly, but at least there was no blood.

Rating: 7/10

Today:
Razor: Bic Flex 5 Hybrid (1)
Cream: Gillette Pure
Brush: RazoRock BC Plissoft synthetic

Today's shave got things back on track, effortlessly smooth two-pass shave. I've noticed that even though my skills have improved quite a bit lately, I still struggle with DEs on my neck, whereas today the neck was no problem and is still reasonably smooth ten hours later. Gotta keep practicing.

Rating: 9.5/10

Tomorrow, I'll throw a KCG blade into the Super Blue and see if I can get my mojo back.

This was my first shave with this razor and will certainly say it is a very smooth razor. I will be moving up to the C plate for the next shave as the B was very efficient but really mild.

View attachment 1154017
That is one beautiful razor.

No way I could disagree.. The fit and finish are very well done. Exceptional actually, IMHO. I'm really looking forward to my shave with the C plate tomorrow. The B plate was very pleasurable experience for my first shave with this razor. If you have the opportunity and accept the wait time.. Try this one..
I actually have a Karve in Brass with the A, B, and C plate due to arrive on Monday.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy

View attachment 1154017

Beautiful brush! What's the going price for a Wolf Whiskers brush?

Beautiful brush! What's the going price for a Wolf Whiskers brush?
Hey @JCarr , I would let you work that out with Peter but would say it was very modest for the finished product received. He actually lists the prices on his website with add in pricing for certain things like the fluting on the bottom so you will certainly know price before the brush is made. I was in communication with him when he started, actually at one point he sent me his cell# to hash out color choice and what he could do. In perspective the Shavemac 2 Band Badger knot was more expensive than the handle..

Prep: cold water wash, rubbed proto lather in beard while building lather.
Brush: Yaqui 30mm synthetic tuxedo knot
Lather: Sterling Barbershop
Razor: Rockwell 6S 2 plate
Blade: Feather

9/10 shave I will move to Rockwell plate 3 tomorrow for an easier BBS shave.

Top Bottom