What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

Monday Evening SOTD

• Pre: Hot shower & TOBS Jermyn St. Pre-Shave Gel
  • Razor: Merkur 34G
  • Blade: Astra SP (4)
  • Brush: Suavecito Synthetic 20mm
  • Shaving Soap: Cella Extra Extra Bio
  • Bowl: Captain’s Choice Gunmetal
  • Aftershave: Proraso Sandalwood & Shea Butter
  • Score: 7/10, 3 points docked for blade
    • WTG, XTG, ATG, BBS above neck
    • WTG, XTG, on neck
    • Irritation on chin and under chin
    • Blade was tugging
    • Irritation on chin and below chin
What was a great shave turned into just an okay shave. Noticed the blade really tugging during my XTG passes and some of the touch ups along the chin and on the neck. Resulted in some irritation on those areas. A shame really. I noticed the blade tugging a bit last shave but I thought I could get one more shave out of it. Guess not! Cella however was amazing as always. Sooo much lather and slickness on the first pass. Truly was enjoyable until I started the third pass. Looking forward to the next shave with a fresh blade.

660D6831-EBB7-4392-A61D-0A326F438814.jpeg
01D88D37-A8E6-4E3E-8EA6-4980850534F1.jpeg
7B367E5F-DE59-4F80-9FE8-1BD543EE4D26.jpeg
881A0D1B-3084-4570-ACAF-F89FE9BA22D1.jpeg

Last edited:
Today’s Shave - An extra fine DFS - 9.5/10

Today was a cautious shave as I will be shaving consecutive on both today & tomorrow. Hence, apart from trying my new Boar Shaving Brush did not experiment much.

Pre Shave - Forest Essentials Sandalwood and Orange Peel pre shave oil
Brush - Pink Woolf Boar Brush with 25 mm knot
Shaving Soap - Forest Essentials Sandalwood and Orange Peel Shaving Cream
Bowl - Pink Woolf ceramic lathering bowl
Razor - Edwin Jagger DE89 Chrome finish
Blade - Gillette 7 o’clock Super Platinum (black one proudly made in India) on 3rd use
Post Shave - Running cold water splash along will application of alum
After Shave - Pink Woolf Oudh and Sandalwood aftershave lotion

Did a 2 pass shave today (WTG & XTG) and the result was an extra fine DFS without any nicks or cuts. My face feels supple post application of aftershave and the mesmerising fragrance made my day start in a great note!

Rating today’s shave 9.5/10. Next shave is due tomorrow which will be an extra cautious one.

Thank you 🙏🏽
81CACE55-754C-4EB8-8BE5-41AC79A437A8.jpeg

Tue 11 Arko & Sharko Shave!!
Soap Arko Stick
Brush Yaqi 26mm Lucky Dice Badger
Razor RR German 37 Slant
Blade Shark Super Stainless 1st
Post & Aftershave
Ice Water + Special Thayers Mix
Hyaluronic + Aqua Velva Musk
Good lather result. Thick and slick. Comfortably produced by the great badger brush.
Shave with razor paired with blade was quite good. Smooth. Comfortable. Sharp. Didn't realized it until the shark bite....and another bite! Unexpected attack from the bottom! 2 weepers immediately after the 1st pass. Was more careful and completed 3 multiple passes with unexpected BBS result. Icy water rinse followed by Thayers.
Finally use the alum to stem the blood before more sharks appear...
Soothed by Hyaluronic and cauterized by AV Musk. Could have score higher rating but bitten twice by the shark...rating only 9/10!
20200811_112225.jpg

20200811_133430.jpg

Trave Shave Setup.jpg

I am on a three-week trip. I am driving to Indiana to meet with my brother-in-law and a friend and we are off to Lake Winni in MN for a fishing trip. So, my travel fishing gear is in order. My travel setup consists of a Muhle Silvertip Fibre brush, 23 mm. The razor is a Red Tip. I have packed Personna Lab blades. For this trip I am taking along some Lakewood Smokeberry soap. My aftershave is Thayers Rose Petal WH and Neutrogena Triple Protect

Daily Shave: 11 August 2020

DSCF2205.JPG

Prep: Lectric Shave
Razor: Viking Chieftain
Brush: Omega 11126
Blade: Gillette 7 O’clock Green Blade #2 Shave #5 (WTG & ATG) buffing A/R
Soap: Van der Hagen deluxe -- using distilled water and Campbell’s soup container.
A / S: Old Spice Classic
Rating: 9.8 BBS A nice smooth shave, no nicks or weepers. An early morning shave so I can take the LOTH out to breakfast, she is working at a food pantry distribution center this morning.

Not a great shave today:

48-hour beard

Merkur Progress with a Personna Med Prep blade (the one with the smeared printing on it), 2 shaves

La Toja in stick form

APShaveCo synth tuxedo brush

Clubman SR aftershave, Assured lotion, Clubman powder

Showered, dabbed on a little La Toja as a pre-shave, then rubbed the soap on thickly and lathered with the damp brush. Good lather, as I've observed with La Toja so far. Three minutes' wait, then on with the shave. The Progress I set at 3 (2 is my razor's mildest) for cheeks and throat; 2.5 for lower lip, then continued with that on cheeks and throat again; finally down to 2 for a third pass and a little cleanup on the throat.

No irritation, no nicks, near BBS. But . . . I hadn't noticed this with the Merkur before, but it seemed to drag a bit on my face. Not the blade, I think, but the head of the razor -- less slickness than I've felt with Tabac, the only other soap I've used with this razor. The La Toja was certainly wet and lathered enough, but the razor did not seem to glide the way I've come to expect. Puzzling.

Verdict: 9.0

Pre-shave (in order of use)
- Clinique for Men Face Wash
- Sukin Pore Refining Face Scrub
- Clinique for Men Exfoliating Tonic
- King of Shaves Advanced Shave Oil.
- Mitchells Wool Fat

Post-shave (in order of use)
- Omega Alum Block
- Jack Black Protein Booster Skin Serum
- Baylis & Harding Black Pepper and Ginseng aftershave balm
- Jack Black Double Duty Moisturiser

Tools
- Edwin Jagger DE86
- Feather (1)
- Omega Pro 49

Shave Rating: 7/10
First shave with a Feather blade and I was slightly disappointed. I was expecting it to be similar to a BIC on shave 2 or 3 in terms of sharpness but it didn't feel that way. The first two passes went well with the blade feeling sharp and smooth but it seemed to decrease in sharpness on the third pass. Slight irritation and more feedback from the Alum block than I've had with the BIC and Israeli Red blades. Will see what shaves 2-4 have in store but I don't see it overtaking those two blades for me. Not overly impressed with the new Sukin Facial Scrub I used either (it came in a gift set at Christmas so at least its not one I paid for), its supposed to be a clay face wash with scrubbing shells/seeds in it but the scrubbing bits were lacking. Will give it a few more tries and either just use it as a fash wash or chuck it.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Rating: 10/10
Pre-Shave: Cold water splash - OPR Bay Rum soap
Soap: Black Ship Grooming Captain Scurvy
Brush: Yaqi Red Marbleized Tuxedo synthetic
Razor: Timeless SS .68 w/scalloped head & base with Blackland Dart handle
Blade: German Wilkinson Sword (1)
Post-Shave: Cold water splash - Lucky Tiger Face Tonic
AS: Black Ship Grooming Captain Scurvy (from a sample)

The Timeless shaves better than the Mamba 70...no question. Mamba 70 is a very good shaver...Timeless is even better...YMMV. I have just a touch more face feel with the Timeless than I do with the Mamba 70...which I like. Decided to go back to Captain Scurvy today...sandalwood and vanilla with a drop of lime to tone the sweetness down a tad. Will be continuing with the Timeless for several mornings before giving the Parker Semi-Slant a ride. Feeling good about technique...four-pass: 2xWTG and 2xATG lathering up before each pass. Works great and reduces irritation.

Happy Shaves, Everyone!

Kit 20200811.jpg

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
DE SOTD, Tue, Aug 11th 2020

Razor: Razorock SLOC- Mfg 2018> Excellent razor with a Kai SS blade in it if you like very close shaves.
Blade:DE KAI SS (5) Sharp and smooth blade, extra wider than standard blade for extra blade exposure..009 thousands of inch wider or .0045 per side.Great for milder razors that need a little extra exposure for your needs.
Soap: Razorock XXX- great clean scent with excellent lather qualities.
Brush: Yaqi Timberwolf whiskers 24mm synthetic- great for creating lather with those soft tips for painting lather.
Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 3 + pickups.
Post shave: Razorock XXX aftershave with witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm.
Results: 10/10 or CCS,DFS,BBs + no irritation + no weepers=:thumbup: Excellent shave with my RR SLOC combined with KAI SS.

DE SOTD,Tue,Aug 11th 2020.jpg

Have some great shaves!Stay safe in these times!

My favorite scent is even better in the summer with the menthol. It really got me this morning and had my eyes watering.

The brush was soft, the HW helped settle in hot spots down. The splash tightened up the skin nicely and of course the edt was on point.

My Bullet Tip was on point and probably ready to be set down and give the GEM Jr another go round.

A couple small red dots that went away with cold water and another enjoyable SE shave in the books.

8.8/10

KM
IMG_20200811_063610.jpg

🦈 🦈 🦈 SHARK WEEK 🦈 🦈 🦈

Razor: Timeless Bronze TRBR38
Blade: Shark Super Chrome
Brush: Frank Shaving G4 Synthetic striped handle
Pre-Shave: Cremo Brushless Shaving Cream
Lather: Long Rifle Brown Bess
Aftershave: Old Spice Classic
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented