What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Shave 20200806
20200806_143737~2.jpg

Razor: Wardonia 'Rugby'
Blade: Modified Bolzano (6)
Brush: @Graydog 'Chubby' (26mm Full Moon)
Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat
Post-shave: Hyaluronic Acid
Aftershave: Lucky Tiger Face Tonic
Cologne: Classic Match Eau de Toilette Spray (Belcam version of Polo)

WTG & ATG. Some XTG touch-up.

Solid DFS with no nicks, cuts, weepers or irritation.

Went steep and the Wardonia really performed. Efficient and Effective. I did not find it aggressive at all. It is quite comfortable. Neat razor. :)

Very nice shave. :)

Friday morning shave
Razor: Gillette Old Type ball-end
Blade: Lord Platinum Class (1)
Brush: Simpsons M7 Manchurian
Lather: Taylor of Old Bond St, Sandalwood soap in mug

Rating: 9.5/10
Closest shave yet, super smooth result.
My second shave with Old Type, I used the same technique of using very small strokes, managed to get through 3 passes (2 x atg on neck area). This caused some irritation which faded after about 5 minutes. Lots of feedback from the witch hazel to let me know the shave was close.
Part of the success of this shave was having oodles of very thick lather, the M7 and TOBS didn't let me down.

7aug shv.jpg

My Thursday Morning Shave
Prep: Warm shower​
One pass shave with touch-up​
Razor: Gillette 1947-51 Super Speed​
Blade: Gillette Nacet (4)​
Pre-Shave Cream: Proraso Red, Sandalwood & Shea Butter​
Brush: Elite Razor Waterfall Bubinga w/ 26mm High Mountain White – Fan​
Soap: Barrister's Reserve Cool Shaving Soap (1st time using this)
Aftershave: Proraso Blue, Aloe and Vitamin E​
Rating: 9.2/10 Some good and some bad today
  • The shave itself was excellent! No nicks! No irritation. Actually a DFS!
  • I really like my Super Speed more and more, especially as I get more used to it
  • First time using this soap
    • Needed a second start with this. I needed a lot more water to lather than I expected. Not the soaps fault, just me getting used to it. Next time I will get a better lather (if there is a next time)
    • The shave itself was excellent! I really liked how this soap performed. Seemed very slick
    • The scent. I didn't mind the scent at first, but it never went away. It just lingered and lingered and lingered. My wife was not impressed either.
    • The scent also drowned out my after shave. If I ever use this again, I will try it with my Nivea Sensitive Cooling Post Shave Balm. I can see the two playing nicely together - or totally clashing.

Razor: Karve CB Brass SB-C
Blade: Gillette Nacet (2)
Brush: PAA The Starcraft
Lather: Henri et Victoria Cognac and Cuban Cigars
Pre shave: NA
Aftershave: Bootleggers Bay Rum
Additional Care: Razorock Alumn / Thayers Rose Petal Witch Hazel / Hyaluronic Acid / Every Man Jack Face Lotion
9.0/10 DFS

Shave80620.jpg

Nice change of pace today. 3 days hair growth to give my face time to recover from my last two shaves. Was looking for a smooth shave so brought out the Karve with the SB-C plate and paired it with a Nacet. First time using the Henri et Victoria soap and was quite impressed. Nice smell, slick, cushiony lather. All in all it turned out to be a very nice 3 pass shave. No weepers, nicks and zero irritation.

Friday SOTD - A 10/10 Ultra smooth BBS today

When you get a great shave at the start of your day your day is made despite how many hurdles you are going to face!

This above statement made summarises today’s zero nick, zero cut and zero redness ultra smooth BBS!

Pre shave - Pink Woolf Oceanic Blue Pre Shave Oil
Shaving cream - Truefitt & Hill Trafalgar Shaving Cream
Lathering Bowl - Pink Woolf ceramic lathering bowl
Brush - Trigodon 23 mm tuxedo knot synthetic
Razor - Edwin Jagger chrome finish DE89
Blade - Feather blade (on 2nd use)
Aftershave - Alum block followed by Truefitt & Hill Grafton after shave balm

Fantastic lather created by T&H Trafalgar shaving cream and my trustworthy Trigodon tuxedo knot brush. The Feather blade on second use when paired with my trustworthy and most go to razor from Edwin Jagger glided effortlessly in both the passes thereby helping me achieve a ultra smooth BBS today.

There was almost zero feedback from Alum. In fact post application I realised I could have given alum a miss today. The closing statement was made by Truefitt & Hill Grafton aftershave whose subtle fragrance lingered long enough to make me smell awesome apart from making the shaved skin supple and moisturised!

A definite 10/10 ultra smooth BBS today and looking forward for a leisurely shave on Sunday.

Thank you and wishing you a happy weekend! 🙏🏽
6037D02E-A8D1-4569-A485-15573A4A03AD.jpeg
CA2441D6-319A-4439-B297-0111107EC890.jpeg
7492C1E5-4A5B-4F5E-9718-9E203D9CA39A.jpeg

Last edited:
Fri 7 SOTD
Cream Arko Sensitive
Brush Yaqi 24mm Purple Mink
Razor Fatip OC Grande
Blade Tatra Platinum 2nd
Post & Aftershave
Ice Water + Special Thayers Mix
Hyaluronic + Aqua Velva Musk
Terrific lather from Arko cream. Nice pleasant scent...thickly creamy and slick. Nice brush for lathering.
Shave with razor paired with blade was interesting. Was smooth but not so comfortable this time. Felt a little like scraping. No weepers but the neck spotted red irritated areas. 3+1 multiple passes with quite a close shave. Icy water rinse followed by cooling Thayers was great. Hyaluronic soothed and AV Musk burns some. Rating 9/10
20200807_134019.jpg

20200807_134109.jpg

Pre-shave (in order of use)
- Clinique for Men Face Wash
- Clinique for Men Face Scrub
- Clinique for Men Exfoliating Tonic
- King of Shaves Advanced Shave Oil.
- Hawkins & Brimble Elemi and Ginseng shaving cream

Post-shave (in order of use)
- Omega Alum Block
- Jack Black Protein Booster Skin Serum
- Hawkins & Brimble Elemi and Ginseng aftershave balm
- Jack Black Double Duty Moisturiser

Tools
- Edwin Jagger DE86
- BIC Chrome Platinum (3)
- Omega Pro 49

Shave Rating: 8.4/10
Third shave with the BIC Chrome Platinum and it continues to impress. It still feels sharp and smooth and I had no irritation after shaving with minimal feedback from the alum block. Rushing this morning so missed a few hairs and a small nick but other than that a nice comfortable close shave.

Daily Shave: 07 August 2020

DSCF2201.JPG

• Prep: Lectric Shave
  • Razor: Viking Chieftain
  • Brush: Omega 11126
  • Blade: Gillette 7 O-clock Green Blade #2 Shave #1 (WTG & ATG) buffing A/R
  • Soap: Van der Hagen deluxe -- using distilled water and Campbell’s soup container.
  • A / S: Old Spice Classic
  • Rating: 10.0 BBS This morning’s shave was incredibly close with no stubble or nicks / weepers. Yesterday’s dull blade shave didn’t take off a lot, but I made up for it today. The 7-oclock blades seem to be good ones.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Rating: 10/10
Pre-Shave: Cold water splash - OPR Bay Rum soap
Soap: Goodfellas' Smile Abysso
Brush: Simpson Trafalgar synthetic
Razor: Razorock Mamba 70
Blade: Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum (black wrapper) - 1
Post-Shave: Lucky Tiger Face Tonic
AS: Dr, Jon's Flowers in the Dark

Tried a new blade today in the Mamba 70, Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum from India. Very good blade! I was impressed by the performance. I may get more of these...I bought one tuck from tryablade.com. Did an intentional 4-pass this morning, two WTG and two ATG. Trying to get technique down. For me, this many passes really isn't necessary...just trying to minimize irritation on a problem area and experimenting with some things. It's getting better though.

Goodfellas' Smile Abysso = DYNAMITE! So good I had to put Squiggy in the picture!

Happy Shaves, Everyone! Happy Friday!

Kit 20200807.jpg

A Fantastic Friday Shave today...

I grabbed a 40's style super speed and a new Feather blade. A combo I am not sure I have ever used. I cracked open a new to me soap/splash/EDT combo from Stirling. The Stirling boar brush whipped up a GREAT lather and all that gave me another great shave. Post shave feel is great. The scent is pleasant and easy on the nose.

I only have the normal unseen only felt stubble by the Adams apple.

I am on a bit of a heater for shaves right now. We will see how the camper shave goes tomorrow. :)

KM

IMG_20200807_063149.jpg

Rating: 10/10
Pre-Shave: Cold water splash - OPR Bay Rum soap
Soap: Goodfellas' Smile Abysso
Brush: Simpson Trafalgar synthetic
Razor: Razorock Mamba 70
Blade: Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum (black wrapper) - 1
Post-Shave: Lucky Tiger Face Tonic
AS: Dr, Jon's Flowers in the Dark

Tried a new blade today in the Mamba 70, Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum from India. Very good blade! I was impressed by the performance. I may get more of these...I bought one tuck from tryablade.com. Did an intentional 4-pass this morning, two WTG and two ATG. Trying to get technique down. For me, this many passes really isn't necessary...just trying to minimize irritation on a problem area and experimenting with some things. It's getting better though.

Goodfellas' Smile Abysso = DYNAMITE! So good I had to put Squiggy in the picture!

Happy Shaves, Everyone! Happy Friday!

View attachment 1136106
One of the smoothest blades that gets better with 2nd and 3rd shave! Probably the second best of Gillette only next to GSBs

Top Bottom