What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Birthday (Friday) shave

Razor: Battle Brothers MKII
Blade: Battle Brothers
Brush: Battle Brothers synthetic
Soap: Battle Brothers Rum Runner
Aftershave: PAA Boomtown Bay Rum
Bowl: Dad's Old Spice mug

So, my daughter bought me the Battle Brothers MKII Captain's Kit for me last month as an early birthday present, and I told her I'd wait to use it on my birthday. So, today was the big day, so here is how it went:

Razor: the MKII is aircraft grade aluminum, and VERY light. It's a pretty aggressive compared to anything I have used so far, and has a LOT of blade feel.
Blades: BB blades. They are sharp, no doubt.
Soap: Glycerine based. Needed a lot of water to stay slick. Kinda burned, but I had the same issue with my Dr. Jon's first time I used it, so I'll try it again. Very heavy on the spice notes, but that went away with the heavy leather and gunsmoke notes of the PPA AS.
Aftershave: typical PAA quality

Well, this shave was certainly different than most of my others lately. Gave myself 3 nicks, and had to use my styptic pen on them.
This will be a razor that I will have to take more time with to get comfortable using to figure out the best angle of the razor to my face. It's certainly a close shave. Have a bit of post shave irritation on my cheeks. Made too many passes trying to clean up everything.

I'm going to rate this shave a 6.5, because of the nicks. But I really hope that with practice, this will get up into the 8's and 9's in the future. I will be trying the blades with other razors to get a better feel for how well the blades do with a less aggressive razor. I think they will do well.

View attachment 1133096

View attachment 1133097

View attachment 1133098
:happybday:

Sat morning shave
Razor: Gillette Old Type, Canadian Ball End
Blade: Lord Platinum (1)
Brush: Simpsons Polo 8 Super
Lather: Simpsons Luxurious Shaving Cream

Rating: 9.7, -0.3 due to nick under nose (user fail)

I found my technique adjusting to making very small strokes, but the result was excellent and BBS. Overall it didn't feel aggressive because I took my time, had tons of lather for each pass, and the smoothness of the Platinum blade doing it's part. No irritation despite going over the neck for 3 passes (1 x wtg, 2 x atg).

shv 1-Aug.JPG

Rockwell plate 2
Polsilver SI
TOBS Cedarwood
Rating:10

I decided to do a non aggressive shave today since my last two shaves removed the top layer of skin and gave me a slight razor burn.

I did a single pass WTG with no buffing or touch ups. I will admit going from plate 4 to plate 2 did surprise me. I got a terrific shave. I like the Lucky Tiger. I may need to dial back my aggression for a while.

I dont know why I buy or look at razors when the Rockwell performs so well and so smooth.

Daily Shave: 01 August 2020

DSCF2195.JPG

Prep: Lectric Shave -- continues to yield great prep results.
Razor: Viking Chieftain
Brush: Omega 11126
Blade: Gillette 7 O-clock Green Blade #1 Shave #1
Soap: Van der Hagen deluxe -- using rain water and Campbell’s soup container.
A / S: Old Spice Classic
Rating: 9.9 / 10.0 DFS+ 1st every shave with this blade brand. Great results, no tugging, nicks or weepers.

Pre-shave:- Pears Green
Bowl/Scuttle:- None

Brush:- Synthetic

Soap/Cream:- Tobs Almond

Razor/Blade:- Parker 96R and Wilkinson

Post/After-shave: Cocoa Butter and night cream mix to keep my allure
Fragrance:- Lacoste

When I first started I bought products from the High Street which included packs of Wilkinson blades, time to use them up because they are just too mild, going to pair them with a Parker 96R which is a medium to aggressive and see how that works

6/10

Parker 96R is much too aggressive, blade, brush and TOBS are perfect

28.jpg

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Rating: 10/10
Pre-Shave: Cold water splash - OPR Bay Rum soap
Soap: Proraso White
Brush: Fendrihan Badger
Razor: Timeless SS .68 w/scalloped head & base with Blackland Dart handle
Blade: Personna Israeli Red (5)
Post-Shave: Lucky Tiger Face Tonic
AS: Bootlegger's Bay Rum

Great shave! Nothing to report. No cuts, nicks, weepers or irritation. Proraso provided excellent protection. I'm really starting to lean towards my Timeless and Mamba lately. Tomorrow I will purposely veer away and go with the Parker Semi-Slant.

Happy Shaves. Everyone!

Kit 20200801.jpg

Razor: Razorock GC68-P
Blade: Israeli Personna Red (4)
Brush: RazoRock Plissoft Monster Synthetic Shaving Brush - 26mm
Lather: Proraso Red Shaving Soap in a bowl

1 nick. No irritation. No itching.
Very pleasant shave.
Nearly the same result as Shave #1, #2 and #3.😉

Rating: 9.7/10

48-hour beard

Hoffritz Slant with new Rapira Swedish Steel blade

Tabac in stick form

APShaveCo synth brush

Stirling SDM aftershave, Assured lotion, Clubman powder

I tried something new today. Always I've had a hard time getting a near-BBS on the left side of my throat, just forward of the ear. The hair grows differently there, and ATG is the only way to mow it down. Since I'm right-handed, I have to contort my wrist and the razor and go with care.

Today I dried off the rear portion of my neck under the ear, dried my fingers, and tried stretching the skin with my left hand as I went ATG with my right. No nicks, no irritation; but either this is not going to work for me, or I need to practice it. After two passes and cleanup, I still wound up with about the same not-BBS when I stroke ATG with my fingers after the shave. Ah, well, it was interesting.

The Hoffritz planes me off without trouble. A 9.6.

Sat shave 2.jpg

Saturday’s Shave

Today’s shave is with GD Mallard RC Soap. I am getting to the end of this soap. This time I am using my Rudy Vey Brush with a Shavemac D01 two band knot. The razor is Gillette Tech razor with a Personna Lab blade. The aftershave is Thayers Rose Petal WH and L’Occitane aftershave balm. The fragrance was TOBS Sandalwood. A perfect shave. 10/10.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
DE SOTD, Sat, Aug 1st 2020

Razor: Razorock German 37 slant- Mfg 2016> Great 2 pass slant razor and good for the budget minded also.
Blade: Polsilver SI (2) Excellent blade, Sharp & smooth with a first shave not the smoothest.
Soap: Barrister & Mann Seville- Nice scent but a thirsty soap with good lather qualities.
Brush: Razorock Noir 400 Plissoft, black whiskers- good synthetic with a good scrub properties with soft tip(boar-ish)
Pre shave: Wash face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of Aloe Vera gel on beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups.
Post shave: Razorock blue barber with witch hazel + a tiny do;llop of Nivea balm.
Results: 9.5/10 or CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers = :a17: Excellent shave with my RR German 37 slant razor.

DE SOTD, Sat, Aug 1st 2020 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

Sat 1st Aug Island SOTD
Cream Arko
Brush Yaqi 26mm Rainbow
Razor Edwin Jagger DE89L
Blade Elios Inoxidable 1st
Aftershave Special Thayers Mix + Hyaluronic + Reuzel Wood & Spice
Arko is really good stuff! Thick creamy and slick! Nice mild scent too.
Shave with razor paired with new blade was terrific! Can feel sharpness yet it was very smooth and comfortable. 3+1 multiple passes with no issues at all. Very close shave result...bbs to dfs.
Good aftershave...cooling and soothing...rating today 9.5/10
Signature par-3 hole across the bay...
20200801_181853.jpg

My profile island picture...
20200801_183528.jpg

Top Bottom