What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Sun 26 SOTD
Soap Catie's Bubbles Barnegat Bay
Brush DS Cosmetics 26mm Badger
Razor Gillette Tech
Blade Tatra Platinum 5th
Post & Aftershave
Ice Water + Special Thayers Mix
Hyaluronic + Clubman BayRum
One of my favourite soap. Very good lather from a relaxing face lathering with the brush after a 20 secs direct load from tub. Creamy and slick with a gorgeous scent.
Shave with razor paired with blade was perfect! Sharpish, smooth and very comfortable. 3+1 multiple passes with 1 unexpected weeper. Between bbs and dfs result. Using icy water rinse at the end proves to be better than alum, for the past 3 months. Thayers then Hyaluronic and BayRum completed a good session. 9.5/10

Side note: Amazing how a simple cheap tech can shave so well giving excellent results comparable to much more expensive razors..
VIBR...hmmmm...so differrent from both the BayRum soaps. Too strong clove scent for me...
View attachment 1130615
View attachment 1130616

Another great looking brush!

JCarr

Hey, thanks!! Yeah, it is one of my favorite. Very nice for face lather...as you can see from the result...
How're the Semi-Slant shaves? I am going to use that tomorrow...seems like trending..hahaha

Parker Semi-Slant gives a good shave. I'm still a bit timid with it...careful with it. But the end result is very good. I think the Parker Semi-Slant that I purchased might be a bit more forgiving than some of the other slants on the market...purposely designed that way. And in that sense it's a good slant to start out with. Certainly, the price was easy, $30 brand new.

JCarr

Rating: 10/10
Pre-Shave: None today. Wanted to see if there would be a difference without it. (cold water splash)
Soap: Arko puck.
Brush: Semogue Pharos synthetic
Razor: Parker Semi-Slant
Blade: Personna Israeli Red (1)
Post-Shave: Lucky Tiger Face Tonic
AS: Lustray Spice
EDT: PAA Atomic Age Bay Rum cologne

Great shave this morning! Arko lathered well...took my time working it up. Probably could have added more water, but it was fine...consistency was good and slickness was sufficient. I didn't use the pre-shave OPR today and still had a great shave. So, good with...and good without. It's not a true pre-shave oil in any case, but it's loaded with several different kinds of oils, and it gives me a reason to use the product, so I'll continue to use it in the future. The Parker Semi-Slant was much better with a different blade in it...thanks for the suggestion! My last outing with it, I over-worked my neck area and had a lot of irritation. This time the sharper blade with less work was a successful combination. Cold water splash prior to starting is helping...another step I'll continue to keep in the process. Lustray Spice and PAA Atomic Age Bay Rum cologne to finish up!

No picture today...a bit pressed for time.

Coming soon...Razorock Mamba 70.

Happy Shaves. Everyone!

When I got my Schick injector one of the first things I thought of was what a perfect travel razor it would be. In real life it’s very small and weightless. Super portable, and it can shave up close to your nose. Also a razor you don’t have to worry about nicking or cutting yourself while travellin.
I would eagerly use an Injector as a travel razor, but it is my understanding that anything with a removable blade (no matter how difficult to remove) is not TSA-compliant for carry-on luggage and is subject to confiscation at airport security checkpoints. Can anyone share their experiences as to whether or not this us the case?

Rating: 10/10
Pre-Shave: None today. Wanted to see if there would be a difference without it. (cold water splash)
Soap: Arko puck.
Brush: Semogue Pharos synthetic
Razor: Parker Semi-Slant
Blade: Personna Israeli Red (1)
Post-Shave: Lucky Tiger Face Tonic
AS: Lustray Spice
EDT: PAA Atomic Age Bay Rum cologne

Great shave this morning! Arko lathered well...took my time working it up. Probably could have added more water, but it was fine...consistency was good and slickness was sufficient. I didn't use the pre-shave OPR today and still had a great shave. So, good with...and good without. It's not a true pre-shave oil in any case, but it's loaded with several different kinds of oils, and it gives me a reason to use the product, so I'll continue to use it in the future. The Parker Semi-Slant was much better with a different blade in it...thanks for the suggestion! My last outing with it, I over-worked my neck area and had a lot of irritation. This time the sharper blade with less work was a successful combination. Cold water splash prior to starting is helping...another step I'll continue to keep in the process. Lustray Spice and PAA Atomic Age Bay Rum cologne to finish up!

No picture today...a bit pressed for time.

Coming soon...Razorock Mamba 70.

Happy Shaves. Everyone!
I also like the semi slant: it's every bit as effective as the Merkur slant, but with better feedback. I also like the Maggard slant head.

Sunday shave 1.jpg

Sunday shave 2.jpg
Sunday shave compl.jpg

Sunday’s Shave

Today’s shave is with GD Mallard RC Soap. This time I am using my Morris & Forndran 2XL Finest brush. The razor is Gillette Tech razor with a Personna Lab blade. The aftershave is Thayers Rose Petal WH and L’Occitane aftershave balm. The fragrance was TOBS Sandalwood. A perfect Sunday shave. 10/10.

Sunday Shave
A bit overcast again here in my part of the U.K. so have gone for a Caribbean blue (supposedly) colour font. Dug out the first Goodfellas Smile soap I ever tried today:

IMG_20200726_132151_edit.jpg

Parker 99R, Gillette 7 o’clock super stainless (7), Goodfellas’ Smile Sea Citrus, Gentleman‘s Face Care Club synthetic, Proraso Aftershave Lotion and Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm.
10/10.

You sometimes forget how nice the scent of a soap can be. I’ve said before I bought Sea Citrus simply because of the picture on the tub but it blew me away with how well it performed. Speaking of which I must have hit a personal milestone with a Gillette 7 o’ clock super stainless - 7 shaves in and it still feels as smooth as it did on the first shave!

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Sunday Schick shave, July 26th 2020

Razor: Schick adjustable M3 -Mfg 1970-72, I like using this razor to dial in my razor for first use of a new blade.
Blade: Personna SS PTFE (1) very sharp blade for the first couple of shaves.
Soap: Proraso Red Sandal wood- It is not one of my favorites but their Red aftershave makes up for it.
Brush: Razorock Plissoft 24 mm synthetic- been using this one for some time and it creates good lather with soft tips.
Pre- shave: shower + a dollop of Aloe vera gel on beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 with pickups.
Post shave: Proraso red sandal wood with witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm.
Results: 9/10 or CCS,DFS,BBS + minor irritation + 2 small weepers = :a17:Great shave with my Schick adjustable injector M3.

Sunday Schick shave, July 26th 2020 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

Pre-shave (in order of use)
- Jack Black Deep Dive Glycolic Facial Cleanser
- Nuage Pre-shave oil with Menthol
- Proraso Green cream

Post-shave (in order of use)
- Omega Alum Block
- Jack Black Protein Booster Skin Serum
- L'Occitane Cologne Cedrat Aftershave Gel-Cream
- Jack Black Double-Duty Face Moisturiser

Tools
- Edwin Jagger DE86
- Super + Platinum (crystal stainless) (4)
- Omega Pro 49

Shave Rating: 7/10
Shave 4 with a Crystal Stainless for a single pass shave today. Final shave with this blade and don't think its one I'll revisit. Still a sharp blade but again feels rougher than other blades I've tried. Onto Persona Reds tomorrow which I'm hoping perform better than the Crystal.

Today started with Green Proraso Preshave (not pictured), unscented Beeswax Stirling soap with 7 drops of menthol. Handled by a Whipped Dog Badger brush and finally a MMOC on my 3rd shave on a coated blade.

The result was an outstanding shave. 2 little spots that disappeared with cold water. 3 pass shave with a clean up (where I just subconsciously started buffing for BBS and caused the 2 spots) I need more time with this razor to get that confident.

There are some small little areas of not BBS but more areas that are. Shave 3 and about have this thing dialed in.

8.3/10

KM

IMG_20200726_092904.jpg

Sunday Shave

Razor: Parker Adjustable (Purchased here from Taniwha, first shave with this razor)
Blade: Dorco (new)
Brush: RazoRock BC Silvertip 24mm Plissoft Synth
Soap: Captain's Choice Bay Rum
Aftershave: Captain's Choice Bay Rum
Bowl: Cheap flea market find.

The shave: Since this was my first shave with the Parker, or any adjustable. I decided to do this shave at 1.5. Next shave, I'll use the other edge of the blade at 2.
Blade: As previously stated, the Dorco does a 'meh' job with my other razors, but it also doesn't give me much irritation. At the 1.5 setting it was still just 'meh'.
Soap and aftershave.. Everyone is familiar with it. Whipped it up to a decent lather in my flea market vintage looking bowl I picked up with an abused pre-war Tech and '53 Speed Shave. Think I'll add a couple of acorn nuts to the bottom and a few brass actuator nuts to the sides to give it a little texture.
I'm gonna give this a 7.5, because I think the Parker is capable of better, but it's gonna take some setting changes, and likely blade changes to find a good combo.

IMG_4761.JPG

Sunday Shave

Merkur 34c
Treet SS (5)
Proraso Green cream
Simpson 2 Chubby synth
Fine lather bowl
Gillette sensitive skin gel

5 days growth, much longer than my normal 2-3 day shave. Second time using my new Chubby, and it created a monstrous lather with the Proraso cream. Simpson recommends using painting strokes, and that technique works like a charm. With a few drops of water added to the brush after applying the lather to my face, the brush really slickened the lather, giving me one of my best shaves with the cream. Smooth, close, comfortable, zero irritation.

The Gillette gel was just right for a hot, humid day. Soothing and refreshing, blends into the skin great, left my face feeling very moisturized.

Rating: 9/10

Pre-shave:- Argan Oil liquid soap

Bowl/Scuttle:- None

Br
ush:- Synthetic

Soap/Cream:- Cella

Razor/Blade:- Gillette Tech and Supermax

Post/After-shave: Cocoa Butter and night cream mix to keep my allure

Fragrance:- Lacoste

Copy of gl9.jpg

Good shave, perfect cream, very good synthetic brush, my favorite razor and excellent blade, 10/10

Razor: Schick I1 injector razor
Blade: Schick Injector
Brush: Simpson's Duke 3 Sapphire Special Edition in synthetic
Pre-Shave: Cremo Brushless Shaving Cream
Lather: Art of Shaving Sandalwood Cream
Aftershave: Mennen Skin Bracer
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Pinaud Finest powder
Rating 10
20200725_074737.jpg

Razor: Gillette Slim Adjustable
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue - 3
Brush: PAA The Starcraft
Lather: Phoenix and Beau Imperial Rum
Pre shave: N/A
Aftershave: Ogallala Bay Rum
Additional Care: Razorock Alumn / Thayers Rose Petal Witch Hazel / Hyaluronic Acid/Every Man Jack Face Lotion
9.5/10 - DFS+++
Shave72620.jpg

First shave with the Slim razor. Based on what I read on the boards I decided to do a first pass on 5 and the next two on 3. Face lathered again. The Starcraft is a lather monster and has become my favorite brush. The soap was top notch. Great smell, cushion, glide and residual slickness.
Did a 3 pass shave, WTG/ATG/XTG. Had to do a bit of touch up in my trouble areas, under my chin and around my adam's apple. But still it was a smooth shave. The GSB matched the razor quite niceley. No nicks or irritation.
Next time I shave with this razor I'll either use it on setting 5 throughout or try 7 WTG and 5 on the subsequent passes.
All in all this is a great razor. Glad I bought it.

Top Bottom