What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

9/10 - BBS. Travel shave.
Razor: Razorock Lupo
Blade: Gillette Nacet (0)
Brush: 24mm ApShaveCo SynBad w/ ruby ripple handle
Pre-Shave: Shower and face wash
Lather: Truefitt & Hill West Indian Limes cream
Aftershave: Osage rub / Truefitt & Hill Apsley Balm
IMG_20200629_063832.jpg

Yes, its still as cheap! I picked it up from Sainsbury's for £1 and it seems to be working ok so far. It has lavender and eucalyptus oil in it as well which might be the other notes you pick up on? I will probably pick up an unscented pre-shave in the near future as the menthol doesn't pair up great with other soaps/creams I have to try (especially subtle scents like Haslinger pucks) so will have a look at the King of Shaves range, thanks!

That would explain it. I know what you mean about it not pairing up as well with other soaps/creams though. I had to be in the right mood when I used it, but it is a good product. The sensitive King of Shaves oil (in the light blue packaging) was the one I used - mainly because it was reduced quite often - but the scent wasn’t that prominent. I remember being quite skeptical that a few drops massaged in to the beard would be sufficient on its own to help the razor glide - boy was I wrong! I had a really good shave with just the oil a few times.

Be interesting to hear how you find the GSB blade after a few uses too.

MMMonday, June 29th 2020, took out my interesting looking ASR Family member the Everready 1912 for another shave, I like the handle on it with the pronounce hexagon edges creates a different feel of a grip and hard to MFG IMO.

Razor: Everready 1912 -Mfg in Great Britain from 1936-53- excellent mid range razor. This model feels nice in my hand.
Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE (9) great blade in a lot of ways,sharpness, longevity, cost, and very predictable IMO.
Soap: Colonel Conk Bayrum - I always get good results from this great soap, mild bayrum scent, excellent lather!
Brush: Yaqi Tuxedo knot synthetic 24mm- very enjoyable brush with good brush characteristics to make & apply lather.
Pre shave : Brush wash my whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on beard area.
Prep: cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups.
Post shave: Razorock Emperor :thumbsup: with witch Hazel + a tiny dollop of Nivea balm.
Results: 10/10 or CCS,DFS,BBs + no irritation + no weepers =:a17:Best shave with my recent acquired Everready 1912 British variant.

MMMonday,June 29th 2020 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!
I have this same Ever-Ready razor but came with one of the blade retainers snapped off. I think there may be enough left to hold the blade in place for a shave . Fingers crossed.

Razor: Gem Junior with brass bulldog handle
Blade: Personna GEM PTFE Stainless Steel Blade
Brush: Rick Montalvo Grade A Silvertip Badger
Pre-Shave: Cremo Brushless Shaving Cream
Lather: Razorock Mudder Focker
Aftershave: Mennen Skin Bracer
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Pinaud Finest powder
Rating 9.5
20200628_083839.jpg

My Monday Afternoon Shave (I am on vacation this week)
First Pass WTG
Razor: ERN 1915 SR​
Second Pass ATG / XTG
Razor: ERN 1915 SR​
Razor: Gillette Fat Handle Tech​
Blade: Gillette Nacet (3)​
Pre-Pre-Shave: Suave Ocean Breeze hair conditioner in the shower
Pre-Shave Cream: Proraso Red Cream, Sandalwood & Shea Butter
Brush: Rudy Vey Handle w/ Synbad Synthetic
Soap: Colonel Conk Natural Shave Cream Rio Grande Lavender
After Shave: Proraso Red Cream, Sandalwood & Shea Butter
Rating: 9.0/10
First pass with the ERN was excellent! As my SR journey continues, I have not really tried XTG or ATG with an SR. My second pass started out great XTG on and under my jaw. I should have quit then. I ran into trouble under my chin and had to switch to the DE. The Fat Handle Tech still seems a rough.​

Razor: Razorock Baby Smooth TI
Blade: ASTRA SP - 1
Brush: Razorock Monster
Lather: Long Rifle Hunting Lodge
Aftershave: Pinaud Virgin Island Bay Rum
Additional Care: Razorock Alumn / Thayers Cucumber Witch Hazel / Hyaluronic Acid/Every Man Jack Face Lotion
9.5/10 BBS

Shave62920.jpg

Second shave with the Babysmooth. This time loaded with a fresh ASTRA SP, good match. Another great shave. When I purchased this razor I didn't really have any expetations but I'm actually impressed. In a way it reminds me of the Mamba .70 but I find it more efficient.
Smooth 3 pass shave. BBS except for a tiny spot i missed under my chin.

34C which needed to be abandoned for my 37C (blade started to drag early) with NOS Wilkie Super Sword blade, Stirling unscented soap, Trumper branded, Vulfix made brush. 8 out of 10 - the lather on this soap which comes out of working it up with this brush, and the slant bar on the 37C's propensity to glide through the said lather, were very good indeed.

I'm a relative beginner so if I'm taking this view with this basic a set up now, its certainly going to be interesting to see how my ratings of this set up over more advanced future combinations may hold up over the years...

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Shave 20200629
20200629_170316~2.jpg

Razor: Ever-Ready 1914 "Little Lather Catcher", @camoloc Handle
Blade: Personna GEM (6)
Brush: @Graydog 'Chubby' w/26mm Full Moon
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Soap: Martin de Candre Fougère
Aftershave Balm: Hyaluronic Acid
Aftershave: Brut Classic

WTG, XTG & ATG. Minor touch-up.

BBS (Bride Approved) with no nicks, cuts, weepers or irritation.

A very pleasurable shave! :)

Tue 30th SOTD
Soap RazoRock XXX 1st Use
Bowl Red Nubs
Brush Yaqi 26mm Rainbow
Razor Gillette Red Tip
Blade Polsilver Super Iridium 3rd
Post & Aftershave
Ice Water + Special Thayers Mix
Hyaluronic + Polo EDT
3rd of RR Soap/Croap tested. Save this for last. Yes...! Scent is nice, stronger than previous 2 but hmmm...still abit mild for my nose. The lather...another WOW! Easily worked up with brush in bowl. Thick, creamy and reasonably slick. Conclusion from all RR 3 soap/croap...lather quality is good but scent is too mild for my nose!
Shave with razor paired with blade is very comfortable. Smooth, sharp and hardly feel any blade. 3 multiple passes without any issues. Between BBS to DFS result. Rating 9.5/10
20200630_072108.jpg

20200630_121615.jpg

48-hour beard

Merkur Progress, Personna blade (not sure which stripe)

Tabac in stick form

APShaveCo tuxedo synthetic brush

Clubman Special Reserve AS, no-name skin lotion, Clubman powder

Shower; preshave, a little Tabac slid on with fingers; then I lathered up and applied the German razor. It sits at setting 2 for the mildest, so I opened it a bit to 2.5 for pass 1 on cheeks and throat; stopped it back down to 2 for lower lip, then pass 2 on throat and lower lip; pass 3 on throat and cleanup the same. I'm in awe of this razor now. Half an hour after I finished and powdered up, my face feels super smooth. 9.8.

Tuesday Daily Shave: 30 June 2020

DSCF2156.JPG

Prep
: Face wash with antibacterial soap
Razor: Viking Chieftain
Brush: Omega 11126
Blade: Astra Sp (#2 and out last of my Astra SPs) 2 passes + minor buffing
Soap: Van der Hagen deluxe Using rain water and salsa bowl
A / S: Old Spice Classic
Rating: 9.5 / 10.0 DFS An acceptable shave for today.

Razor: Timeless Bronze TRBR38
Blade: Gillette GSB
Brush: Omega Connaught Premium Jade Boar (011842)
Soap: Mitchell’s Wool Fat
AS: Pinaud Clubman
Shave/Result: 2 pass WTG and ATG, resulting in a DFS, no nicks, weepers, or irritation. This morning the Fat whipped up a great slick lather without any special rituals, offerings, or incantations. The Fat is an exemplary soap when all goes well, I just wish I could always get it to perform like today. Well, whatever I will keep using it and liking it and maybe someday I can become a Fat-tastic Master. Have a great day, Tim
F4C2BE4E-AAC8-4FF6-8DEB-DB1725BAF4CF.jpeg

Top Bottom