What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

Razor: GEM 1912
Blade: GEM by Personna SS PTFE (4)
Brush: RazoRock Barber 24 synthetic
Soap: Cella, red container
Rating: 9.5

Good shave tonight. WTG/XTG/ATG BBS after about a day's growth following a Gillette Tech/Feather shave. Skin feels like glass, just like a SR shave, but I had two nicks and a lot of post-shave burn.

Think I’ve said before the Nuage oil brings back memories as I used it during my first year of DE shaving. Used to be stocked in ASDA for 90p-£1. I can understand why it would pair well with the Proraso - I seem to remember the Nuage had a slight herbal note to it with the menthol too? I moved on to King of Shaves Kinexium for a while but found I preferred the serum they do to the oil. I actually found an unused one the other day, which I am tempted to take with me when I go on holiday at some point in the future as it’s a 50ml bottle.

Yes, its still as cheap! I picked it up from Sainsbury's for £1 and it seems to be working ok so far. It has lavender and eucalyptus oil in it as well which might be the other notes you pick up on? I will probably pick up an unscented pre-shave in the near future as the menthol doesn't pair up great with other soaps/creams I have to try (especially subtle scents like Haslinger pucks) so will have a look at the King of Shaves range, thanks!

Mon 29 SOTD
Soap RazoRock Mudder Focker 1st Use
Bowl Ceramic
Brush Yaqi 26mm Lucky Dice Tuxedo
Razor RazoRock SLOC
Blade Tatra Platinum 6th
Post & Aftershave
Ice Water + Special Thayers Mix
Hyaluronic + Reuzel Wood & Spice
2nd of RazoRock Soap used. Now this is a better scent...much better than yesterday's Blue BarberShop. Still...scent is too mild..wish it was stronger. The lather created however was WOW! Took some time and much water but the result was terrific...super thick & creamy! Slick too!
Shave with razor paired with blade was nice, smooth and comfortable...auto-cruise. Not as efficient but enjoyable. 3+1 multiple passes without issues and DFS++ results. Face felt nicely moisturized after all the post & aftershaves. Rating 9.5/10
20200629_092908.jpg

20200629_100705.jpg

Razor: Razorock GC68-P
Blade: Wilkinson Sword Classic (5)
Brush: RazoRock Plissoft Monster Synthetic Shaving Brush - 26mm
Lather: VDH Luxury

No nicks. No irritation. No itching.
Very pleasant and smooth shave.
Sharp and smooth blade. Blade is now requiring a lot of buffing. Bin time.

Rating: 9.7/10

Razor: Timeless Aluminum ALSB45
Blade: Gillette Perma-Sharp Super (1)
Cream: C. O. Bigelow
Brush: Semogue Torga C-5 (1st use)
AS: Mennen Skin Bracer
Shave/Result: 2 pass WTG and ATG for a DFS+. This morning was a nice, relaxing shave with great results. First use of the Semogue Torga C-5 and it is going to be great when it breaks in. (I like Boar Brushes so I’m biased.) Have a great day, Tim
8CBA2F9E-8957-4AA2-8A5D-D4B1DE513637.jpeg

Monday Daily Shave: 29 June 2020

DSCF2155.JPG

Prep
: Face wash with antibacterial soap
Razor: Viking Chieftain
Brush: Omega 11126
Blade: Astra Sp (#1) 2 passes + minor buffing
Soap: Van der Hagen deluxe Using rain water and salsa bowl
A / S: Old Spice Classic
Rating: 9.9 / 10.0 DFS+ A nice shave with the last of my Astra SP blades. A few tiny weepers on chin from new blade break in and shave clumsiness.

Pre-shave (in order of use)
- Clinique for men face wash
- Clinique for men face scrub
- Clinique for men exfoliating tonic
- Nuage Men Pre-Shave oil with menthol
- Mitchell's Wool Fat

Post-shave (in order of use)
- Omega Alum Block
- Jack Black Protein Booster Skin Serum
- L'Occitane Cap Cedrat After-Shave Gel Cream
- Jack Black Double Duty SPF Moisturiser

Tools
- Edwin Jagger DE86
- Gillette Silver Blue (1)
- Omega Pro 49

Shave Rating: 7/10
First shave with a GSB blade today, unfortunately the Fat decided it didn't want to play nicely today and had to chuck and re-lather after passes 1 and 2 which likely affected the shave and performance of the GSB. Blade felt as sharp as last weeks Gillette 7 O'Clock Yellow but not as smooth. Slight irritation from the Alum but no nicks or weepers. Won't hold today against it and will put it down to an off day with the fat.

Mondays shave 1.jpg

Todays's shave starts off with Big Shave Southwest soap made by PAA. The CK-formula of this soap does not contain tallow but provides a superior lather and shave. The brush was made by Rudy Vey and contains a Shavemac D01 two-band knot. The razor is a Wolfman SS SB WR 2 with a Wizamet Super Iridium blade. The aftershave was Thayers Rose Petal WH followed by Neutrogena Triple Protect. The fragrance was GFT Sandalwood which I will have to replace soon.

An excellent shave: 10/10.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Rating: 10/10
Soap: Zingari Man The Wanderer
Brush: Je&Co Tuxedo Synthetic
Razor: Timeless SS .68 scalloped head & base
Blade: Wilkinson Sword (German) (3)
AS: Lustray Spice

Good all around. Starting to look for a lighter handle for my Timeless to reduce the overall weight.

Razor: GEM Junior (baton handle)
Blade: GEM (Personna) PTFE
Brush: Henri et Victoria: High Mountain White Badger 22mm
Pre-Shave: Taconic Pre-Shave Oil
Lather: Noble Otter Barrbarr
Aftershave: HSSC: Barber Shop (balm)
Aftershave Splash: Noble Otter Barrbarr

Additional Care:
Clubman: Pinauds Finest Powder
FC34310C-5CAD-4D6C-B08D-94F1A319660D.jpeg

Shave Rating: 9/10
Learning the Curve on GEM Razors and GEM PTFE SE Blades
Today was my second GEM shave. Two days ago I had my first with a GEM Featherweigh, and today is a GEM Junior using the same GEM PTFE SE blade. Incredibly loud feedback and blade to whisker feel on the first pass. I was tempted to apply more pressure, but just let the razor move over my face. Okay. No problems. The second pass was smooth and close without all of the noise of the first pass. I think these blades just like to let you know they’re working when removing the main growth of stubble. On my first attempt with this blade and the GEM Featherweigh I had some post shave irritation like I used to get with Feather blades, like my skin was treated a little roughly. I had no intention of going for a BBS today, just wanted to keep the shave in control. Well, surprise, surprise! I got a BBS without even trying.
Two tiny nicks under my nose...nothing major. Felt a little post shave heat from my face at first, but that has disappeared as I write this.
Im adapting my technique to shaving with these vintage SE razors and thick SE blades. I think the GEM Featherweight is a smoother razor than the GEM Junior, so with a little practice under my belt, the next shave with my Featherweight should be much more rewarding.
PS. I had planned to Try and shave with my VALET Autostrop today, but the GEM blade would not fit.

Today's Head and Face Shaving

Yintal head with its own stainless steel handle.

KAI

Cella from the Block, used like a stick, without using a brush only with a wet hand.

AS: Tobacco

Shaving with this razor is very nice, the Yintal head is gentle and effective more than R89 in my opinion and in combination with KAI razor blades it increases this effect even more.
Very good shave - 8.5

IMG_20200629_152504.jpg

For the 3rd use of my first ever PolSilver blade I used the still quite bitey Rockwell Model T. It's a sharp blade in what I find to be an aggressive razor and I had a fair few nicks, despite going lightly. I managed a BBS shave but despite the cube and the exceptional soap, I needed a Balm to calm things down. Next time I use the Model T I'll have something smoother in it.

Razor: Rockwell Model T Adjustable
Blade: PolSilver 3rd use
Soap: Phoenix & Beau Spitfire
Brush: Simpson Trafalgar T3
Pre-shave: PAA Cube
Post-shave: Captain's Choice Limes Balm and Aqua Velva Musk
Bowl: Captain's Choice Large Cobalt Blue

dkpwatson64_1593358260.jpg

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
MMMonday, June 29th 2020, took out my interesting looking ASR Family member the Everready 1912 for another shave, I like the handle on it with the pronounce hexagon edges creates a different feel of a grip and hard to MFG IMO.

Razor: Everready 1912 -Mfg in Great Britain from 1936-53- excellent mid range razor. This model feels nice in my hand.
Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE (9) great blade in a lot of ways,sharpness, longevity, cost, and very predictable IMO.
Soap: Colonel Conk Bayrum - I always get good results from this great soap, mild bayrum scent, excellent lather!
Brush: Yaqi Tuxedo knot synthetic 24mm- very enjoyable brush with good brush characteristics to make & apply lather.
Pre shave : Brush wash my whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on beard area.
Prep: cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups.
Post shave: Razorock Emperor :thumbsup: with witch Hazel + a tiny dollop of Nivea balm.
Results: 10/10 or CCS,DFS,BBs + no irritation + no weepers =:a17:Best shave with my recent acquired Everready 1912 British variant.

MMMonday,June 29th 2020 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

Top Bottom