What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

I jumped off the Williams journey only because I can't take it with me camping this weekend. So then I could just jump off today and go back to the @Graydog brush as that won't go camping either and hasn't been used for a while as I refuse to bang it around a mug. The shave and post shave feel went well. The blade was a bit tuggy and missed some stubble through the first two passes but that's why we do 3 with a clean up I guess. No idea on the amount of shaves on the blade. It was in the 1912 so I palmed it and shaved. Cold water splash reminded me I had used menthol. :) I don't mind this combo of cream and splash at all.

8.9/10

KM

IMG_20200612_061149.jpg

Pre-shave (in order of use)
- Clinique for men face wash
- Clinique for men face scrub
- Clinique for men exfoliating tonic
- Nuage pre-shave oil
- The Real Shaving Company Age Defence Traditional Shave Cream bowl lathered

Post-shave (in order of use)
- Omega Alum Block
- Jack Black Protein Booster Skin Serum
- L'Occitane Cap Cedrat Gel-Cream After-Shave
- Jack Black Double Duty SPF Moisturiser

Tools
- Edwin Jagger DE86
- Astra SP (2)
- Omega Pro 49

Shave Rating: 7/10
Second shave with an Astra SP going WTG, XTG, XTG and then ATG on the cheeks. Still nice and smooth on shave 2 with no cuts and minimal irritation. It still doesn't feel as sharp as the Wilkinson classics I have been previously using, however, still a smoother shave. Still couple of shaves to go with it, but its likely jumper above the Wilkinson in my rankings.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
SOTD, Fri June 12th 2020

Razor : Razorock German 37 slant- Mfg 2017>Excellent razor, mid range, you might have to align the blade to top cap.
Blade: Gillette 7oClock SP black(4) one of my favorites, smooth & sharp!
Soap: Razorock Don Marco
Brush: Yaqi rainbow brown whiskers(Mew) 26 mm- very enjoyable brush with soft tips, thick knot & reasonable scrub.
Pre Shave: Brush wash my whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + Pick ups.
Post shave: Razorock The Dead sea aftershave with witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm.
Results:9.5 /10 or CCS,DFS,BBS + no weepers + no irritation = :a17: Great shave with the Razorock German 37 slant.

SOTD, Fri June 12th 2020 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

Cold Water Shave

Preshave: American Shaving Pre Shave Oil Sandalwood Barbershop Scent
Soap: Cella
Brush: Rocky mountain Barber company best badger brush
Razor: EJ DE89 lbl
Blade: Rapira Platinum Lux (4)
Aftershave: Osma alum, Duck Cannon ice cold balm.

A very good shave, low irritation, almost bbs

Razor: Schick L3 The Grip
Blade: Personna Injector
Brush: Ocean Tortoise Shell Pure Bristle
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Essence of Scotland Malt N Myrtle
Aftershave: Pinaud Whiskey Woods
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Pinaud Finest powder
Rating 10
20200416_082135.jpg

Razor: Razorock GC.84
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue
Brush: DC Cosmetic handle w/ High Mountain White Badger
Lather: Soap Commander Fortitude
Aftershave: Bootleggers Bay Rum
Additional Care: Razorock Alumn / Thayers Rose Petal Witch Hazel / Hyaluronic Acid/Every Man Jack Face Lotion
9/10 DFS

Today I brought out a trusty old friend I hadn't used in a while, my Razorock GC.84. And as usual it did not disappoint. Loaded with a GSB, 2 pass shave WTG/ATG and a bit of touch up. Gave me a very comfortable, smooth, irritation free DFS. If not for a couple of spots on my chin it'd been a BBS.

For the price, this razor stands on it's own. Clearly when compared to my Blackbird and Timeless TI.95, 2 razors that are about 3 times more expensive, it's a little less efficient but it's still a great shaver.

First time ever using a GSB, and though it was good I don't think it compares to my Nacet, ASTRA SP and Voskhod blades. At least not on my face.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Shave 20200612
20200612_135013~2.jpg

Razor: Feather Artist Club Japanese Straight
Blade: Kai Captain Titan Protouch w/Guard (3)
Touch-up Razor/Blade: GEM Featherweight Deluxe/Personna GEM (4)
Brush: @Rudy Vey w/Shavemac 24mm 3-Band Silvertip
Soap: Haslinger Ringelblumen
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Post-shave: Gentleman Jon Alum Block
Aftershave Balm: Hyaluronic Acid
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman Lilac Vegetal

WTG, WTG & ATG. Minor touch-up.

DFS with no weepers, nicks, cuts or irritation.

First shave with my new Feather Artist Club Japanese Straight. Not yet proficient, by any means, but I took my time, watched my angle, used short strokes, used no pressure and made it through without the need for any blood transfusions. ;)

Used the wonderful GEM Featherweight Deluxe for touch-ups. :)

Nice shave!

Razor: Parker SRW Shavette
Blade: Gillette Nacet halved (1)
Pre-Shave Cream: Proraso Red Cream, Sandalwood & Shea Butter
Brush: Semogue 1305 Pure Bristle Boar
Soap: Col Conk Amber Glycerine (First time using this!)
After Shave: Proraso Blue Balm, Aloe and Vitamin E
Rating:9.8/10
Another nice one-pass shave as my SR journey continues. No nicks and very smooth. Some slight razor burn, probably due to the first shave for the Nacet. This is my first time using any Col Conk product. I want to give it a few more shaves before I review, but so far I am very pleased.​

proxy.php
proxy.php

48-hour beard

'53 Superspeed razor/new Personna Lab Blue blade

Stirling Bay Rum soap (the last bit of a sample they sent me with another order)

APShaveCo synth brush

Clubman Special Reserve aftershave, no-name skin lotion, Clubman powder

No shower, but hot towel over washed face for 60 seconds, then my usual 3 minutes' wait after lathering and applying the soap. Two passes on cheeks and lower lip, three on throat for a near BBS.

Comments: For some reason the Superspeed, my birth year razor, is my least favorite. It shears me off fine without nicks or irritation, but I can't get used to that tiny handle -- I like my fat-handled Tech, my '56 Red Tip, and others much better. And I am no fan of bay rum scent, either. I'm just trying to use this soap up; I hate to waste even a free sample. It lathers fine and is fairly slick.

Rating: 8.7

RR German 37 Slant + HD handle
PermaSharp Super (3)
Yaqi Purple Haze synthetic brush
365 glycerin soap pre-shave
Speick cream
Dickinson's witch hazel toner
Speick splash
Duru 80 Limon Turkish Kolonya

Clean, close shave; DFS+

Notes:
  • Decided to mix things up today with Speick shaving cream in the tube, which I wanted to compare with the Cyril R Slater cream sample from yesterday.
  • Bowl lathered for a change of pace and got a "low structure" i.e. very wet lather that worked reasonably well
  • Really out of practice on the bowl lathering :biggrin1:

Daily Shave: 13 June 2020

DSCF2132.JPG

Razor
: Viking Chieftain
Prep: Face wash with antibacterial soap
Brush: Omega 11126
Blade: Persona (#2) 2 passes
Soap Proraso (Green + Red mixed almost used up) (distilled water)
A / S: Old Spice Classic
Rating: 9.0 / 10.0 DFS A nice shave before leaving to work on a Habitat for Humanity rehab project. A clean shaven face doesn't sting with sweat, and we will be working out in the direct sun all morning.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Rating: 9/10
Soap: Zingari Man The Navigator (This was from a sample I was sent when I ordered The Wanderer.)
Brush: Je&Co. Tuxedo synthetic
Razor: EJ Chatsworth (faux ivory handle model)
Blade: Derby Premium (1)
AS: Dr. Jon's Anne Bonny Bay Rum

The Derby Premium performed well. Last time I used this blade I was underwhelmed, but this time I was ok with it. Going to leave it in the EJ Chatsworth and have another go with it. The soap performed well, good lather and protection. Not thrilled about that particular scent, but that's ok as it was a free sample. Dr. Jon's Anne Bonny bumped the whole experience up a half a point...good stuff!

Top Bottom