What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

Razor: Razorock GC68-P
Blade: Personna Lab Blue (4)
Brush: RazoRock Plissoft Monster Synthetic Shaving Brush - 26mm
Lather: Williams Modern Mug Soap
Aftershave: Proraso Blue Protective Aftershave Liquid Cream
Additional Care:
Dickinson’s Witch Hazel Astringent

No cuts or nicks. No irritation. Very close shave.
Mild witch hazel report.

Rating: 9.5/10

Razor: Timeless Bronze TRBR38
Blade: Gillette 7 o’clock Green Permasharp stainless (1)
Brush: Omega 20102 Boar
Soap: Martin de Candre Rose
AS: Pinaud Clubman
Shave/Results: 3 pass WTG, ATG, and XTG/ATG combo for a DFS++/BBS (95%). This morning I used my favorite soap and there were no interruptions, time concerns, or distractions. Luxury!, so this is what it feels like. 10/10. Have a great day.
Tim
49C26AB7-AFD1-4325-A706-FF866C6E75A1.jpeg

Sat 6.6.20 SOTD
Soap Rasozero Agrumella
Brush Yaqi 26mm Rainbow
Razor Edwin Jagger DE89L
Blade Tiger Platinum 4th
Post & Aftershave
Ice Water + Special Thayers Mix
Hyaluronic Acid
Reuzel Wood & Spice
Much better lather from the soap today. Load directly from the tub for 50secs and face lather. Initially pasty but slowly and surely...wow! Thick, creamy and reasonably slick lather. Nice mild lemony scent. Shave today with razor and blade was somehow better than yesterday. Really smooth, sharpish & comfortable. Must be from the slicker lather.
3 multiple passes plus some buffing resulted in a mostly BBS with small area DFS at lower neck. 9.5/10 rating today.
20200606_103504.jpg

20200606_111444.jpg

Razor: Gillette 1966 Slim Adjustable
Blade: Wilkinson Sword (Germany)(2)
Brush: Simpsons Special 1 Best Badger 20mm
Lather: Shannon's Soaps: Forest City Fern
Aftershave: HSSC: Barber Shop (balm)

Additional Care:
Thayers: Witch Hazel Lavender Toner
Hyaluronic Acid
Clubman: Pinauds Finest Powder
FE0472D0-EDFD-4D9B-88C2-9911525AB51A.jpeg

Shave Rating: 9/10
Continuing my Vintage Journey
If you have noticed, I’ve been exploring the vintage razor world shave by shave. Today was my first ever shave using a fully adjustable razor. I left it on setting #3 with a Wilkinson blade, and it shaved me in a total comfort zone. Only the slightest patch under my jawline kept it from BBS status, but I doubt even Helen Keller would notice. Next shave I’ll ramp it up to #4 with the Wilkinson. That should be optimum.
Pinauds Finest Powder
This powder has piqued my curiosity, so I ordered some. After applying all those post shave lotions and potions my skin can sometimes feel tacky or appear shiny, so I decided to give the powder a try. (Smells Wonderful). Being new to powder application, I decided to do the honours out on my balcony. I sprinkled some in my hand, then rubbed my hands together to slough off any excess. When you do this, make sure your cat is not sleeping in your lap. I patted my powdered hands over my face and neck. It left my face feeling matte and smooth and soft. I really like the feel. I think I’ll continue this regimen unless I find some reason to stop. I used a small soft Fine Accoutrements brush to dust off any excess afterwards. While I was powdering up, I did my armpits too. Love the soft smell.

SOTD Wednesday 6.6.2020
One day’s stubble
Pre: Hot water splash
Brush: daVinci Uomo
Soap: PAA Cold Spices
Razor: Timeless Bronze 38
Blade: Gillette SP 7 O’Clock Black (1)
WTG, ATG, w/touch ups
Result: A close, comfortable shave.
Happy Shaving All!

Attachments

• 84964B3C-3051-448A-BBAB-BDF07D87054C.jpeg
    84964B3C-3051-448A-BBAB-BDF07D87054C.jpeg
    863 KB · Views: 3
Today I tried to replicate the experience I had Friday with my Red Tip, except this time with the Hoffritz Slant.

'70s Hoffritz Slant/new Personna Red blade

Hot face towel, bit of Trumper's Almond cream as a pre-shave

Stirling soap (not the Bay Rum, but the other)

APShaveCo synthetic brush

Clubman SR aftershave and Clubman powder

Verdict: Darn near a 10 and a BBS without irritation or nicks; 2 passes on cheeks and lower lip, 2 plus cleanup on the throat. This slant planes me off just about the closest of all my razors. Perhaps there will be a Fatip Slant in my future.
Thanks for the tip. I noticed you always used Pinauds Finest Powder, so I got some for myself. So far I like the post shave feel of it on my face.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
SOTD, Fri, June 6th 2020

Razor: Razorock Wunderbar slant -MFG 2017> nailed this shave this morning with good technique, great shave.
Blade : Personna red (4)- Personna just makes great blades that every wet shaver should at least try once IMO.
Soap: Razorock XXX- I enjoy the scent and it makes great lather with good lather qualities.
Brush: Yaki Timberwolf whiskers 24mm synthetic- excellent dense brush for light scrubbing, splaying, painting on lather + soft tips. I use a lather bowl and it will stir up some nice lather in no time, the beauty of synthetics.....
Pre-shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop aloe clear Aloe Vera gel on beard area.
Prep: cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pick ups.
Post shave: Razorock XXX aftershave with witch Hazel + a small dollop of Nivea sensitive skin balm.
Results:10/10 or CCS,DFS,BBs + no irritation + no weepers = :a17: Excellent shave with my RR Wunderbar slant with a Personna red.

SOTD, Sat, June 6th 2020 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

Razor: Edwin Jagger 89 (3rd shave)
Blade: Gillette Nacet (3)
Pre-Shave Cream: Proraso Red Cream, Sandalwood & Shea Butter
Brush: Vie-Long Horse Hair
Soap: Williams Shave
After Shave: Proraso Blue Balm, Aloe and Vitamin E
Rating: 7.9/10
  • My third shave with my EJDE89 and second 7.9 score in a row. I did a two pass shave (again), and the end result was not very smooth (again). The good news (again) is, no nicks!
  • I guess I need to work with the mechanics a little more. Maybe I need to apply more pressure. Maybe a different blade for this razor? Someone commented on my last EJ89 post that they were never able to get a close shave with this razor.
  • There are a few times when I am looking for a shave that is closer to a 5 o'clock (2 o'clock?) shadow, maybe I should save it for those occasions....
Hi, as the owner of an Edwin Jagger DE89L (my very first DE razor received on 28 May 2019) and since then with 25 DE razors (vintage & modern), I can only tell you my own experience...initially I can get great close shaves with it but...after 1.5 months of use..I too found it was kinda mild and made moves to find better razors....but somehow I keep coming back to the DE89L....for comfortable shaves...especially paired with certain blades.

Right now, I am participating in the testing of the Czech Tiger & Tatra Platinum blades and my go-to comfort & safe razor is of course the DE89L! For the past 4 shaves....very close and comfortable result.

Best blades combo for me in my DE89L is Feather, Astra, Supermax Platinum Plus, and now the Tiger Platinum!

I hope you can try various blades and get your best result combination. The Edwin Jagger DE89L is a very good razor....at least for me.

Williams journey of every day is day 3 I think and I have been using different brushes. I think it likes boar brushes more then the synthetic. I don't like to use my @Graydog brush here cause I feel like I beat the handle up on the mug. The think I am Really digging is how close my shave is. I splashed some Stirling and I love the post feel of their aftershave. This is a uncommon +9.0 score from me today.

9.2/10

KM

IMG_20200606_072424.jpg

Razor: Gillette 1976 W1 Super Speed
Blade: Astra Superior Platinum
Brush: Supply Silvertip Synthetic
Pre-Shave: Cremo Brushless Shaving Cream
Lather: Soap Smooth Barbershop
Aftershave: Mennen Skin Bracer
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Pinaud Finest powder
Rating 10
20200605_072750.jpg

Razor: Charcoal Goods Level 2
Blade: ASTRA SP
Brush: PAA Atomic Rocket
Lather: Stirling Gentleman
Aftershave: Nivea Original Balm
Additional Care: Razorock Alumn / Thayers Cucumber Witch Hazel / Hyaluronic Acid/Every Man Jack Face Lotion
8.0/10

Just for fun, I decided to try and do a back to back shave with the Lvl2. Big mistake. This is not a daily shaver for me. I did a 2 pass shave WTG/ATG but it was rough especially ATG. I'm not a daily shaver, however I could do about 3 to 4 straight shaves with the Timeless.95, GC.84 and probably the Blackbird.

I'd been looking to buy a CG for a while and decided on the Lvl2 based on reviews I read comparing it to the GC.84. On my face this razor feels more aggressive and definitely not as smooth as the GC.84. I've done this long enough to know the YMMV concept is true. What works for one may not work for another. And I think this might be the case here.

It's a beautiful razor and I'm certainly not going to get rid of it for now. But it's definitely a 2 -3 day in between shaver for me.

In hindsight I think I should've bought a Lvl1 setup. So I'll keep my eyes open in case one does come up for sale/trade.

jun6.jpg

Timeless 0.95 OC with Weber handle
Soap: Fougere Noir WSP non-tallow
Blade: Crystal Platinum
Brush: Semogue 1305
AS: Razorock XXX

I actually put the timeless in the drawer and don't use it because I used to get cuts because I didn't get blade feel and used too much pressure. Today I used no pressure and got a great 9/10 shave.

Thanks for the tip. I noticed you always used Pinauds Finest Powder, so I got some for myself. So far I like the post shave feel of it on my face.
I never used powder until I began to read about it, and older talc products, here. If there is any irritation, the aftershave, no-name skin lotion I put on after it, and the powder usually takes care of it.

Razor:
  1. 503 John J Hogan Special Straight Razor (Shave ready fail)
  2. Henry Graves SR (fail)
  3. Edwin Jagger 89 (4th shave) 2 pass
Blade: Gillette Nacet (4)
Pre-Shave Cream: Proraso Red Cream, Sandalwood & Shea Butter
Brush: Semogue 1305 Pure Bristle Boar
Soap: Williams Shave
After Shave: Proraso Blue Balm, Aloe and Vitamin E
Rating: 8.7/10

SUMMARY:
  • My two SRs were not shave ready and had to switch to my EJ89 (the only razor I had "loaded) to finish...
  • The good news is I get to work on my honing/stropping skills
  • My score is based on the end result and my current expectations for the EJ89 - and not the journey to gt there

DETAILS:
  • Why are my recent shaves all long stories? LOL
  • I have been using a shavette for the past month or so, working up to using an actual SR. I purchase two relatively inexpensive used "shave ready" SRs that I got off of the bay. (I think I will get them from BST from now on, if used.) I wanted inexpensive ones to practice honing and stropping. I have a new DOVO waiting in the wings for when I figure out the stropping, honing and sharpening. The used razors need some work as they were only pulling and tugging my whiskers....
  • Since the two SRs weren't working out, I grabbed my EJDE89, as it was the only option ready to go. This is my foruth shave with this. I did a two pass shave (again), and the end result was not very smooth (again). The good news (again) is, no nicks!
  • I guess a 5 o'clock (2 o'clock?) shadow for a Saturday afternoon shave isn't that bad...

Last edited:
Hi, as the owner of an Edwin Jagger DE89L (my very first DE razor received on 28 May 2019) and since then with 25 DE razors (vintage & modern), I can only tell you my own experience...initially I can get great close shaves with it but...after 1.5 months of use..I too found it was kinda mild and made moves to find better razors....but somehow I keep coming back to the DE89L....for comfortable shaves...especially paired with certain blades.

Right now, I am participating in the testing of the Czech Tiger & Tatra Platinum blades and my go-to comfort & safe razor is of course the DE89L! For the past 4 shaves....very close and comfortable result.

Best blades combo for me in my DE89L is Feather, Astra, Supermax Platinum Plus, and now the Tiger Platinum!

I hope you can try various blades and get your best result combination. The Edwin Jagger DE89L is a very good razor....at least for me.
Thanks! I just saw your post. I agree the EJ89 is mild. I have both the Astra and Feathers blades on hand. I will give them a try and see if I get a closer shave.

As an experiment, I did a low-cost shave:

Razor: Van Der Hagen
Blade: Rockwell Swedish Steel
Brush: Edwin Jagger
Soap: Cella
AS: Lucky Tiger
Shave/Results: 3 pass WTG, ATG, and XTG on 3-day growth. Glass smooth, afterwards... surprised and impressed. I kept looking at my face in the rearview mirror as I was driving around town. My skin looked like glass. I don't know what to make of the Rockwell Razors, but the results spoke for themselves.

Top Bottom