What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

36-hour beard (more or less): I decided to do a 1950s-style shave.

1953 Superspeed

Personna Platinum Chrome blade

Barbasol from the 100th-anniversary can

Verdict: A pretty good shave, perhaps a 7. I wet my face, rubbed on some face soap, and used the hot face towel before I started. And perhaps the Personna blade had too many shaves on it. But the Barbasol left my face feeling sort of dry in between passes and rinses, and 2 passes on the cheeks and 2 plus cleanup on the throat did not result in a very close shave. No irritation, though.

Merkur 37C + US Personna Blue (3)
No issues. No irritation.
Very pleasant and very close shave.

Rating: 9.7/10

Razor: Merkur 37C
Blade: Personna Lab Blue
Brush: RazoRock Plissoft Monster Synthetic Shaving Brush - 26mm
Pre-Shave: Proraso Green Refreshing and Toning Preshave with Eucalyptus Oil and Menthol
Lather: Proraso Green Refreshing and Toning Shaving Soap with eucalyptus oil and menthol + Cremo Original

55044F21-BCBD-4B03-AC12-CD745BB78D4B.jpeg

Pre: Hot Shower
Soap: Proraso Blue Cream
Brush: Custom by Rick Montalvo
Razor: Karve OC-B
Blade: Wilkinson sword (3x)
Post: Alum, Proraso Blue Balm and Grooming Dept Rejuvenating Serum

9.3/10

Razor: RR GC JAWS 84 / HD
Blade: Gillette Nacet (2)
Pre: Proraso Green (SuperFormula)
Brush: Maggard Timberwolf
Lather: Proraso Green (SuperFormula)
Rating: 10/10

First run with the SuperFormula Proraso Greens and oh boy, they really ratcheted this product line up several notches! I had a hard time holding onto the brush handle whenever some lather would dribble down it, and had to keep rinsing it so I wouldn't lose hold of it, it’s that slick! Reminds me of Arko’s slickness, which is pretty damn slick. An inch of cream was plenty, and took quite a bit of water, getting me 2 full passes and touch-ups in a minute flat face-lathering with my non lather-absorbing/hogging Maggard Timberwolf (which is an awesome brush btw).

The Green cold factor seems like it’s been tamed a bit, but don’t take my word for it, if you’re a menth-head you’ll likely be disappointed and need to add your ice crystals or whatever it is you guys do who want to freeze your faces off(!) For me, it was nice and cooling and very protective of razor burn and irritation and just the right amount of cold. Blade was good on third use but I binned it anyways, blades are too cheap to stretch for me. I hope every Nacet performs like this one did as it was sharp and smooth and never cut or irritate me, regardless of the lather used.

Proraso's new SuperFormula is right up there with the best of the best, as far as I'm concerned. I cannot see how anyone could fault the performance of these products. The old formula wasn't very slick and was a tad drying post-shave but not the SuperFormula. The rinse-off was very MdC-like, super clean and easy, no stickiness or squeaky drying. I'm sitting here a few hours later and my face is glassy smooth and perfectly hydrated after doing a 2 pass XTG DFS. The SuperFormula is a killer product and I highly recommend you get some. Outstanding shave day!

IMG_0257.jpeg

Last edited:
Razor: Gillette tech
Blade: Shark
Brush: Omega mixed midget
Soap: Arko
After shave: Clubman
Decent shave not as close as I like . I don't think I like the shark blades. The Omega brush is tiny but it is the bomb for face lathering. I got a new bottle of Clubman. Clubman reminds me of Rappolds Barber shop in Hurricane W.V. They have been cutting hair there for over 100 years.

Razor: Gillette Old Type ball end handle, gold plated, circa 1921-1928.
Blade: Astra SP (2)
Brush: Vulfix Super Badger, forgotten model number
Soap: Cella, red container
Rating: 10

Third shave ever with an Old Type. Easy BBS shave tonight with no irritation and no nicks. This 92-99 year old inexpensive razor makes me feel silly for having accumulated so many DE razors over the years: I can't recall the last time I had a better DE shave.

Mon 25th SOTD
Cream TOBS
Brush DS Cosmetics 26mm Badger
Razor Edwin Jagger DE89L
Blade SuperMax Platinum 3rd
Post & Aftershave
Ice Water + Special Thayers Lemon Mix
Hyaluronic Acid
Aqua Velva Ice Blue
Nice face lathering with my fav brush. Enough creaminess for more than 3passes. Slick and really strong scent.
Shave with the evergreen razor paired with the blade was nothing but smoothness. Really comfortable with all the 3 multiple passes. Results are from BBS to DFS. Great shave day! 9.5/10!
20200525_103320.jpg

20200525_111356.jpg

8.5/10 - BBS, poor lather with the soap and brush. Still slick though.
Razor: Gillette E4 1959 Fatboy
Blade: Gillette Rubie plus (3)
Brush: 26mm DS cosmetic S/L brush
Pre-Shave: Fendrihan Bay rum pre-shave oil
Lather: Ogallala Bay rum, sage and cedar stick
Aftershave: Osage Rub
/ Geo F Trumper Eucris skin food
Additional Care: Thayers Lemon WH
IMG_20200524_155827.jpg

Pre-shave (in order of use)
- Clinique for men face wash in the shower
- Clinique for men face scrub in the shower
- Clinique for men exfoliating tonic
- Nuage pre-shave oil
- The Real Shaving Company Age Defence Traditional Shave Cream bowl lathered

Post-shave (in order of use)
- Jack Black Protein Booster Skin Serum
- L'Occitane Cap Cedrat Cream Gel After Shave
- Jack Black Double Duty SPF Moisturiser

Tools
- Edwin Jagger DE86
- Wilkinson Sword Classic (German) on shave 1
- Edwin Jagger 286 Synthetic Silver Tip

Shave Rating: 7.5/10
No irritation or weepers, still ironing out my technique on XTG on the neck and ATG is tugging more than cutting.

Merkur 37C + US Personna Blue (4)
No issues. No irritation.
Very pleasant and very close shave.

Rating: 9.7/10

Razor: Merkur 37C
Blade: Personna Lab Blue
Brush: RazoRock Plissoft Monster Synthetic Shaving Brush - 26mm
Pre-Shave: Proraso Green Refreshing and Toning Preshave with Eucalyptus Oil and Menthol
Lather: Proraso Green Refreshing and Toning Shaving Soap with eucalyptus oil and menthol + Cremo Original

Daily Shave: 25 May 2020

Razor
: Viking Chieftain
Prep: Face wash with anti-bacterial soap
Brush: Omega 11126
Blade: Persona (# 2) 2 passes
Soap: Proraso (Green + Red mixed) (using rain water)
A / S: Old Spice Classic
Rating: 9.0 / 10.0 DFS A good basic shave for today. Taking wife out to breakfast this morning.

Shave #30

Wade & Butcher 6/8
Pre de Provence
Semogue 1305
Miller Strop
CeraVe Hylauronic Acid Serum
Pitralon Classic

20200525_074444.jpg

Happy Memorial Day !!!! 2 1/2 passes. I keep forgetting how good this soap is. I'm relatively certain the Soap & AS were made to pair with each other.

9.85/10

be well on this day........and remember the fallen.

camo

Monday.jpg

Monday’s Shave

Another beautiful, sunny Arizona day. Today’s soap is GD Amare for the second day in a row. The brush today is Simpson Chubby II in Best. The razor today is the Mergress XL with a Treet Plat blade. After a four-pass shave I used cool water to remove any excess lather. I then applied Thayers Rose Petal WH followed by Neutrogena Triple Protect. . After a shower, the fragrance was Yves Saint Laurent. An excellent 10/10 shave.

Top Bottom