What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
SOTD, Sat , May 23rd 2020.

Razor: Razorock Mission(Yin)- Mfg 2016?> best $20 Canadian I spent on a Mid range razor. Very good results & looks like EJ DE 89. It was one of my first razors I bought new and it works even better with my newer Pre-shave routine.
Blade: Gillette 7 oClock (Black)super platinum(1) One of the better blades Gillette makes IMO, Sharp & Smooooth!
Soap: Razorock Don Marco- Great Citrus scent with great lather qualities.
Brush: Yaqi Timber wolf whiskers 24mm- great brush for making lather with soft tips and some back bone, will splay.
Pre-shave: Shower + Brush wash my face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera Gel on beard.
Prep: cold water rinse after each pass of 3 + clean up. (who needs menthol with cold water, just kidding.)
Post shave: Fine fresh Vetiver :001_wub: aftershave with witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea sensitive balm.
Results:10/10 or CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers =:a17: Excellent shave with my Razorock mission(Yin) razor.

SOTD. Sat may 23rd 2020 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

Today's shave:

Razor: Gillette '58 D2 TV Special Super Speed
Blade: Wilkinson Sword (1)
Soap: TSD Iced Sub Zero
Brush: Omega 40033 Mighty Midget Boar
AS: Bootlegger's Green Freeze

Rating: 9/10

Had a great menthol shave today! I found the TSD Iced Sub Zero hidden under the sink, I didn't know I still had it but it gave a nice shave.

A nice, DFS+ shave after three passes. Gillette nailed it with this razor as it is perfect for the beginning shaver.

Razor: Gillette 1956 B4 Blue Tip Super Speed
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue
Brush: Supply Silvertip Synthetic
Pre-Shave: L'Occitane Cade Shave Oil
Lather: Soap Smooth Barbershop
Aftershave: Proraso Green Splash
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Pinaud Finest powder
Rating 9. DFS++
20200522_090546.jpg

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Shave 20200523

Continuing my 2020 Resolution to stop chasing BBS!
20200523_104707~2.jpg

Razor: Charcoal Goods Brass Level 2 (Gen 2)
Blade: Personna Israeli Platinum Red (6)
Brush: Epsilon 26mm STF Synthetic
Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat - Love "The Fat" :)
Post-shave: Dickinson's Hydrating Toner
Aftershave Balm: Hyaluronic Acid
Aftershave: Aqua Velva Ice Sport
Cologne: Aqua Velva Musk

WTG, XTG, XTG & ATG. Minor touch-up.

BBS (Bride approved) with no weepers, nicks, cuts or irritation.

The CG Brass Level 2 (Gen 2) delivered it's usual really excellent shave - close, comfortable, smooth and effortless! :)

Rating: 4.5 / 5

Razor: Edwin Jagger DE86
Blade: Lord: New Platinum (3)
Brush: Vulfix: VLF-10 Boar & Badger 21mm
Lather: Rockwell Shaving Cream (sample)
Aftershave Splash: Clubman Pinaud Classic (sample)
Additional Care:
Thayers: Witch Hazel Lavender Toner
Hyaluronic Acid
Brickell Clarifying Gel Face Cleanser
Schaf: Purifying Scrub
A9E25EE7-2814-4A59-9555-6EDE7F096575.jpeg

Shave Rating: 9.5/10
My preoccupied shave taught me something.
My mind was somewhere else today. I had a bunch of new, untried soaps and aftershaves, but I couldn’t get myself worked up about anything, so I just grabbed some samples and threw a thrice used Lord blade into my DE86. No preshave.
Not paying any attention to anything but my thoughts, I looked up into the mirror and realized my shave was done. I couldn’t even remember going through the motions, but it was BBS without a hint that a razor had even touched my skin. I didn’t even bother with the alum block.
This tells me that I have finally passed that point where I am past the novice part of my shaving journey and have entered the realm of experienced shaver. Muscle memory now controls my razor and my face is mapped in my mind. I’ve dropped the tutorial shaving steps and have developed my own personalized routine. It’s funny how it all sneaks up on you.

Razor: ATT Windsor H
Blade: GSB, 2nd shave
Soap: NOT the Captain's Choice. Simpsons Unscented Cream. See below.
Brush: M&F 2XL Finest
Bowl: Brand new Captain's Choice Heavy Copper
AS: Alum followed by Fine Fresh Vetiver
Rating: 8 out of 10

Was unable to build a suitable lather with the Captain's Choice. It was a sample - mashed it in the bottom of the lather bowl, loaded the brush for a minute, but no dice. No matter what I did, I couldn't get a good lather. As I wanted to enjoy the process, I started again with the Simpsons cream and whipped up a great lather quickly. No nicks, but the alum block and the AS gave me some feedback that held this shave back from a better grade.

Hope you and yours are well. If you've having a cookout this weekend, please throw one on the grill for me.

IMG_1964.jpg

IMG_20200523_194337.jpg

Pre: Warm shower, Boots’ Cucumber Facial Wash & L’Oreal Men Expert Pure & Matte Deep Exfoliating Wash.

Razor: Wilkinson Sword Classic
Blade: Gillette Wilkinson Sword
Brush: Taylor of Old Bond St pure badger
Cream: Gentleman’s Face Care Club - Bergamot and Neroli

Rating: 9/10.

Hadn’t used my Wilkinson Sword Classic for over a year at least and never paired it with a Gillette Wilkinson Sword blade before. The pairing was excellent. I’d forgotten how efficient the razor can be despite being so mild. I had a very slight weeper underneath my bottom lip but it stopped without any need for a styptic or alum block.

The Gentleman’s Face Care Club Bergamot and Neroli cream is ideal for this time of year. It reminds me of the opening notes in Acqua di Parma Colonia Assoluta.

Razor: Parker SRW Shavette
Blade: Shark Super Stainless Blade
Cream: Proraso (Red) Cream, Sandalwood & Shea Butter.
Brush: Semogue 1305 Pure Boar Bristle (First time I used it.)
Soap: Williams Shave
After Shave: NIVEA Men Sensitive Cooling Post Shave Balm
Rating: 9.3/10 (Really nice shave as I master the SR. No issues in my normal trouble spot where my lower lip meets my chin. One nick - not sure what happened like I usually do.)

Forgot to post this morning, had a broken vent on the bathroom fan when I showed up to the camper last night and was on a mission to get it fixed so I could go fishing.

So very hard water, like still redish tint with a filter. A fair 3 pass and no clean up shave especially considering the circumstances.

7.9/10

KM

IMG_20200523_075409.jpg

Top Bottom