What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

New soap for me, fresh Personna red blade and a too close shave. I just plain old cut myself up today. Not sure what happened but on my right jaw line I put about 4 big weepers on there. Impressive really. The scent of the soap is definitely close to it's name. I grabbed it because again I am heading to the lake and it made me feel optimistic. The weather forecast says otherwise. Low score for all the blood. The rest of the shave is actually really good. Just a bit of hot face after the shave but this is probably my most aggressive razor with a fresh blade.

6.8/10

KM

View attachment 1103418
What’s the razor you used?

Razor - Merkur 34c
Blade - Gillette Nacet (1)
Brush - Omega Boar
Soap - Tabac Stick
Rate it about 8.5

Shave was pretty good - One pass and touchups. i have been struggling a bit with the stick soaps however
a 34c armed with a shiney new nacet allows one to slop just about anything reasonably slick on one's mug and get
a decent shave. Afterwards I dowsed said mug with a tidal splash of Superior 70, and the day has been good.

Last edited:
I am back to trying out blades tonight
Plus I received some other new stuff 😎
Razor: Gillette tech H2 date code
Blade : Shark
Brush: Omega mixed midget 11047
Cream:AOS lavender
After shave: proraso green
2 pass shave felt smooth but alcohol based after shave showed a few tender spots . I like the lavender shaving cream . It's a cool little brush 15901906467062582468556338910989.jpg

Razor: RR GC JAWS 84 / HD
Blade: Gillette Nacet (1)
Brush: Maggard Timberwolf
Lather: LEA Professional
Result: 9/10

The LEA Professional cream....what a crazy large tube it comes in! The scent hits FAR above its price point. It's a mildly scented orange citrus/aquatic/woodsy/soapy bouquet which is absolutely delightful to sniff, and if I was blindfolded, I'd guess this was a TOBS scent, which I rate towards at the very top of the heap in the scent department. Once rinsed up, there's no scent left behind so it can be used with whatever AS of frag one desires without any concern for clashing/matching.

I used an inch of cream, which MAY have been too much, I don’t know for sure. I had enough lather for 3 passes just after a minute of face-lathering, adding water occasionally. Lather was everywhere, the really nice slick creamy kind and very textbook lather, whatever that means. This cream is both protective and slick and right up there with the best I’ve ever used. No irritation or pain during the shave, just some mild redness in the usual rough spots that were gone by the time I finished rinsing off which leads me to the only gripe I have with this cream: drying. The soap rinsed off very squeaky, like when using basic Ivory soap to wash my hands. My face also tightened up a bit for a good 20 minutes, then went away. It’s possible I used too much cream, but there's only one way to find out. I'll just have to give it another shot using half an inch of cream instead. At this rate this tube would probably last for several hundred shaves.

Brush is awesome as usual and the Nacet on use number two felt like a fresh blade. No tugging, and smooth as can be. Great shave day.

View attachment 1103486

Another LEA user - their cream and shave sticks are excellent!

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Shave 20200522

Continuing my 2020 Resolution to stop chasing BBS!
20200522_165211~2.jpg

Razor: RazoRock DLC Stainless Lupo
Blade: Personna Israeli Platinum Red (5)
Brush: Peregrino 24mm Roswell Hybrid Synthetic
Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat
Post-shave: Dickinson's Hydrating Toner
Aftershave Balm: Hyaluronic Acid
Aftershave: Clubman Osage Rub
Cologne: Pinaud Clubman Citrus Musk

WTG, XTG, XTG & ATG. Minor touch-up.

BBS (Bride approved) with no weepers, nicks, cuts or irritation.

All the components of this shave came together beautifully, resulting in a close, comfortable, smooth, effortless and excellent shave!

YMMV :)

Razor: Parker SRW Shavette
Blade: Shark Super Stainless Blade
Cream: Proraso (Red) Cream, Sandalwood & Shea Butter.
This is literally the very first time I have ever used a pre-shave in my decades upon decades of shaving. Some positives and concerns, but I want to use it several more times before I go into detail
Brush: Vie-Long 04312 Professional Horse Hair
I've come to really appreciate my horse hair brush even more since joining B&G​
Soap: Williams Shave
After Shave: NIVEA Men Sensitive Cooling Post Shave Balm
Loooong story short, this was purchased by my Wife by mistake. I have come to like this a lot. Scent is nice and refreshing that kind of wakes you up, but it does not linger long at all​
Rating: 9.6/10 (I need to get some pics of my den...)

9/10 - BBS, cool shave on hopefully a warm day.
Razor: Karve brass SB D
Blade: Gillette Rubie plus (1)
Brush: 26mm Yaqi Moka 2 band badger
Pre-Shave: Fendrihan Bay rum pre-shave oil
Lather: Stirling Glacial Spearmint soap
Aftershave: Maol frosted Frankinlime AS
/ Duke Cannon Ice cold balm
Additional Care: Thayers Lemon WH
IMG_20200521_150640.jpg

Daily Shave: 23 May 2020

Razor
: Viking Chieftain
Prep: Face wash with anti-bacterial soap
Brush: Omega 11126
Blade: Persona (# 3 and out) 2 passes
Soap Proraso (Green + Red mixed) (using rain water)
A / S: Old Spice Classic
Rating: 9.0 / 10.0 DFS A good shave, but blade was snagging and tugging during 1st pass.
DSCF2101.JPG

Merkur 37C + US Personna Blue (2)
No issues. No irritation.
Very pleasant and very close shave.

Rating: 9.7/10

Razor: Merkur 37C
Blade: Personna Lab Blue
Brush: RazoRock Plissoft Monster Synthetic Shaving Brush - 26mm
Pre-Shave: Proraso Green Refreshing and Toning Preshave with Eucalyptus Oil and Menthol
Lather: Proraso Green Refreshing and Toning Shaving Soap with eucalyptus oil and menthol

Sat 23rd SOTD
Soap The Goodfellas Smile Italian Orange
Bowl Turkish Copper
Brush Yaqi 24mm Sagrada Familia
Razor Gillette Fatboy F4
Blade Gillette Nacet SS 3rd
Ice Water + Special Thayers Mix
Hyaluronic Acid + Aqua Velva Musk
Again...over do with lathering.... scoop out just peanut size of the soap and working it with the brush in the bowl produces a very satisfyingly nice lather. Lovely & lasting orangy/citrusy scent. Really nice brush for lathering.
Shave with FB paired with the blade felt good and surprisingly smooth. Set 9 for 1st pass and set 7 for the rest. Total 3 nice & comfortable multiple passes. Between BBS & DFS result. Rating 9/10. Have a great weekend everyone!
20200523_112909.jpg

20200523_120628.jpg

Saturday shave puzzle.jpg

Saturday’s Shave

Another beautiful, sunny Arizona day. Today’s soap is Haslinger Coconut for the second day in a row. The brush today is B&B Essential Boar, Remembering Sue version. The razor today is the Mergress XL with a Treet Plat blade. After a four-pass shave I used cool water to remove any excess lather. I then applied Thayers Rose Petal WH followed by Clubman. After a shower, the fragrance was Jimmy Choo Man Intense. A 9/10 shave.

You can’t dock a point and a half off that list of gear and not explain why!

HA! This is for ‘science’ and the ’Czech out these blades PIF’ on the blades forum!! :a29: Trying to give the blades every opportunity to shine by using top tier kit during the comparison.

For me, 10/10 (BBS) does not happen that often. 8.5 is actually at fine score when I am grading, especially on the first use of a new blade. Let’s see what happens!!

Top Bottom