What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

I'm working from home today -- flash flood warning in the area, and my street looks like a stream -- so I yielded to an impulse and shaved a 24-hour beard:

Merkur Progress/new Personna Red blade

Arko stick soap

AP Shave Co. synthetic tuxedo brush

Proraso Green AS, Assured lotion, Clubman powder

I showered earlier, thinking I would be going to work as usual. So for the shave, I washed my cheeks and throat with Dial soap, then applied the Arko and face-lathered with the damp brush. With the Progress set at its mildest (2 on my razor), I did a WTG pass, then an ATG/XTG plus cleanup on the throat -- first with the setting at 3, then back down to 2 for the cleanup. Not BBS, but I wasn't trying for that with a day's growth. Smooth and clean, though, and tingling still from the Proraso.

Verdict: 9.5.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
I'm working from home today -- flash flood warning in the area, and my street looks like a stream -- so I yielded to an impulse and shaved a 24-hour beard:

Merkur Progress/new Personna Red blade

Arko stick soap

AP Shave Co. synthetic tuxedo brush

Proraso Green AS, Assured lotion, Clubman powder

I showered earlier, thinking I would be going to work as usual. So for the shave, I washed my cheeks and throat with Dial soap, then applied the Arko and face-lathered with the damp brush. With the Progress set at its mildest (2 on my razor), I did a WTG pass, then an ATG/XTG plus cleanup on the throat -- first with the setting at 3, then back down to 2 for the cleanup. Not BBS, but I wasn't trying for that with a day's growth. Smooth and clean, though, and tingling still from the Proraso.

Verdict: 9.5.

Stay safe!

Monday's shave on two days growth, two-pass shave with some added clean up, 9/10, one nick on my chin, DFS:

Pre-shave: shower with Ivory Bar Soap
Razor: Occam's razor- three-dot head- I'm going to switch back to the two-dot head, as I got another small nick today.
Blade: Feather AC Pro (4)- just right, sharp and smooth.
Brush: Yaqi 22mm Sagrada Familia two-band badger; the handle on this brush is a bit small, but the brush knot itself is fine. I'm not sure how Yaqi treats their badger hair, but it definitely feels like it has been treated when compared to Simpson or Shavemac knots.
Soap: MWF in a deodorant stick- nice lather; when this soap is on, it's terrific.
Post-shave: cold rinse, healthy splash of Proraso Green AS splash to finish a lovely shave.

Have a great week and some wonderful shaves!

PXL_20210510_141752940.jpg

View attachment 1264498
Brush: Maggard/Oumo 28mm SHD
Soap: Barrister & Mann - Oceana
Razor: Merkur 34c
Blade: Gillette Platinum

10/10: Outstanding shave that saved this knot from the “sell” bin. That 34c… it never really fails, does it? Very nice to return to the Soft Heart base, one of my favorites.
You're not wrong. I've kind of gone full circle in terms of razors and I'm now back in a Merkur groove with the 42C, 34C and 37C.

Lupo .72,Voskhod (1),Stirling iced pinapple,Simpsons Tulip1 super,Thayers cucumber,prorasso aftershave,Nivea sensitive,prorasso green pre/post balm.Superb shave with the Lupo.72 smooth,close and comfortable BBS no cuts or weepers.Can't fault this razor i could shave with it every day no problem.The voskhod worked great in the .72 not so much in the .95 for me. 10/10 Happy shaves everyone.
20210510_152053[1].jpg

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Hot water preshave
MdC Fougere face lathered with a Chubby 1 in best
Three passes with GSB (2) in ATT SSR-1
4711 cologne

This is my first GSB. So far I would say I am pleased but not astounded. It is a very comfortable blade and I got BBS without touchups. 10

Pre Shave: Warm Shower, Stirling Unscented Pre Shave Soap
Razor: Occam's OREN with Two Dot Plate
Blade: Feather Professional
Soap/Cream: Barrister & Mann Reserve Cool
Bowl: Timeless Blue Shave Bowl
Brush: Simpson's Persian Jar PJ3 Best Badger
Post Shave: Cold Water Rinse, Thayers Unscented Witch Hazel, Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm, TOBS Sandalwood AS
Rating: 10/10 Excellent 2 1/2 pass BBS shave. No weepers, cuts or irritation. Fantastic Mindless Shave. Changed blade for today's shave, much better shave!

20210110_080917.jpg

Razor: Gem Contour
Blade: Personna GEM PTFE Stainless Steel Blade
Brush: Rick Montalvo Grade A Silvertip Badger
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Razorock Mudder Focker
Aftershave: Old Spice Classic
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Imperial Leather Talcum Powder
Rating Ten

Razor: GEM 1912, chrome (nickel?) plated with the hexagonal(?) handle; circa 1928?
Blade: GEM by Personna SS PTFE (2)
Brush: Simpson Berkeley 46 Best Badger
Soap: Tabac
Rating: 10

Perfect shave this afternoon on two days of growth. Easy BBS after WTG/XTG/ATG passes, and the cushion of the Tabac meant that I couldn't even feel the blade and had to look for stubble in the sink for proof that the whiskers were going away. No nicks, burning, or irritation.

Razor: Parker 94R Hefty; three piece safety bar razor
Blade: Treet Classic "Black Beauty" blued carbon steel (1), with inscription of "A Treet for your face"
Brush: Simpson Berkeley 46 Best Badger
Soap: Tabac
Rating: 9.5

Saturday afternoon shave on two days of growth. Easy BBS after WTG/XTG/ATG passes, except for a small area under the lower lip. No nicks, burning, or irritation.

This was my first time using a Treet Black Beauty blade. The blade seemed plenty sharp and super smooth and forgiving, but as the shave went on, it began to feel a little bit grabby - not dull, but like it wasn't gliding as well. I don't know if this is due to the lack of a PTFE coating or another reason. In any case, I give this blade a preliminary thumbs up, although I lean toward the Treet DuraSharp PTFE-coated carbon steel blades pending more test shaves.

As an experiment, I left this blade in the razor for two days to see how much it would rust. When I removed the blade today and examined it, I saw that the blued area of the blade was rust free, but there was a little bit of rust on the unblued area approaching the blade edge. I will check the blade before using it again. I can get four shaves out of the DuraSharps before rust sets in, so I am hoping for similar results with these.

Martin de Candre Monday.

MdC Agrumes, lathered in a bowl with my Shavemac Synthetic - great lather. Two days growth reduced easily with the Rockwell 6S and a Personna Red Blade. Great Shave, close, comfortable, close to BBS. 10/10

Razor: Rockwell 6S, WTG: R5, XTG: R4, ATG and touch-ups: R3
Blade: Personna Red (2)
Soap: Martin de Candre
Brush: Shavemac Synthetic
Preshave: Balea Rasieröl
Afershave: Osma Alum, Nivea Sensitive Balm, Balea Men Outdoor Protection

Have a great week!

Today I used a bunch of products that I never used with one another before. My shave was 10/10. I also tried to only use products that were under $12.00!

I used:
Global Shave Club B.A.D. Shaving Oil.
Rockwell shave cream.
Omega Mighty Midget Badger and Boar shave brush.
Lord L7 razor (haven't used it in a year...)
Big Ben blade
Global Shave Club Ice After Shave.
Global Shave Club B.A.D. Shaving oil (can be used before or after the shave.)

Aaaah the joys of wet shaving!

Decided to polish off a really nice soap sample today:

tempImagetGbk3r.jpg

Two passes (WTG + XTG) with the Feather AC SS and a Kai Captain Titan Mid (13), followed by a very light WTG cleanup pass with the German 37 and a Kai (6).

I enjoyed this St. Bart's sample from Maggard Razors very much. I think I got a good 8 shaves out of it. I'm looking forward to a couple of Stirling samples which contain coconut in the scent: Coconut Lime and Island Man. A&E is something I'll be looking at in the future for sure.

This was an intentionally light shave, with results to match: "just" CCS pretty much everywhere. It's funny how I feel a little disappointed in only getting a CCS shave, but then a few hours later I don't care anymore, and just appreciate how comfortable it was and is.

8.5/10

p.s. Anyone else notice how this thread is careening towards 20,000 posts...who's it going to be? The suspense!!

Top Bottom