What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
Sunday morning shave

Razor: Greaves & Sons
Brush: Boar
Soap: TOBS Sandalwood

A fine leisurely shave this morning as I begin Mothers Day brunch preparations. Best wishes to all the moms out there!
Happy Sunday
552FEBB3-E59C-4CB3-801F-32D25EBE1F8A.jpeg

9/10

PSX_20201114_075929.jpg

Razor: Schick G1v2 Gold with Dark Blue Handle
Blade: Schick Injector
Brush: Simpson Duke 3 Synthetic
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Art of Shaving Sandalwood Cream
Aftershave: Mennen Skin Bracer
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Imperial Leather Talcum Powder
As good as it gets!

So, now a belated post regarding my yesterday's saturday shave...

I had time so I decided to give the Martin de Candre Agrumes a go with my easiest brush, the Yaqi Monster. As can be seen from the picture (hopefully the upload works) I have a tendency towards large brushes and the Monster is the biggest brush I own with a knot of 30mm. Geometrically, this is an issue, as you can see. I was only able to buy the small 50g jar here in Germany, while shipping from France for the 200g jar was really expensive. So I have to live with the small jar having an opening being significantly smaller than the Monster brush. But it worked, bowl lathering, great lather, great scent and the shave with the Rockwell 6S was good, too. Some nicks in the second pass as I became ambitious getting too close, thus, just a 9/10 but a great shave anyway.

Razor: Rockwell 6S, WTG: R5, XTG: R4, ATG, touch-ups: R3
Blade: Personna Red (1)
Soap: Martin de Candre, Agrumes
Brush: Yaqi Monster
Preshave: Balea Rasieröl
Aftershave: Osma Alum, Nivea Sensitive Balm, Balea Men Outdoor protection

089A319D-300B-41F5-A4CA-CB99CB436295.jpeg

Razor: Schick Krona
Blade: Wilkinson Sword - German (1)
Brush: Ever Ready 100T handle with synthetic knot
Soap: Mike's Peppermint & Rosemary
Aftershave: Speick
Rating: 10/10 - Don't usually shave on Sunday, but we are going to see my mother-in-law. Really hot today, definitely needed the Peppermint and Rosemary to stay cool.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Happy Mother's Day!
20210509_110756~2.jpg

Razor: Blackland Razors Vector SB
Blade: Kai Captain Titan Protouch MG (5)
Brush: Simpson The Duke 2 in Best
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: Haslinger Schafmilch
Aftershave: Stetson Original AS
Fragrance: Stetson Original Cologne

Outstanding kit and an outstanding shave! :cool:

Pre-shave (in order of use)
- Jack Black Deep Dive Glycolic Facial Cleanser
- Truefitt and Hill Pre-shave Oil
- Phoenix and Beau Imperial Rum (sample)

Post-shave (in order of use)
- Omega Alum Block
- Stirling Tea Tree, Witch Hazel & Aloe
- The Ordinary Hyaluronic acid
- The Ordinary Buffet Serum
- Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm
- Jack Black Dry Erase Ultra-Calming Face Cream

Tools
- Gillette King C Razor
- Gillette King C Blade (4)
- Semogue SOC Taj Boar

Shave Rating: 8.5/10
Shaved after soaking in the tub tonight which made a change to my usual shower and shave routine.
Had my final shave with the Imperial Rum sample. There's still plenty left but I've used it all week and fancy a change! Overall I've been really impressed with the scent and performance of the soap. Definitely one I'll buy a full tub of in the future!
Also my fourth and final shave with the King C blade. It gave a nice single pass shave tonight but I'm interested in seeing how the Gillette Platinum (Light Blue tuck) compares next week in the same razor.

Happy Mother's Day!
View attachment 1264225
Razor: Blackland Razors Vector SB
Blade: Kai Captain Titan Protouch MG (5)
Brush: Simpson The Duke 2 in Best
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: Haslinger Schafmilch
Aftershave: Stetson Original AS
Fragrance: Stetson Original Cologne

Outstanding kit and an outstanding shave! :cool:
I always forget the US and UK have different mother's days. Without fail, every year I see someone in the US on some form of social media post about it and instantly start panicking that I have forgotten about it 😂

Last camping shave this morning. The ARKO, Yaqi Purple Mink, and GEM Featherweight combo worked great all weekend.
Weekend shaves were all DFS- but under the conditions I’d rate them all between 8.5 - 9.0.
The trip was crazy, rained every day and we had hail yesterday, makes primitive tent camping and cold water shaving “exciting”. But, boy oh boy did that hot shower feel good when I got home.

This shave was not up to my usual standards, two variables, new brush and first time using a Kai blade on a second shave.

Brush: Elite Razor 26mm Manchurian White Fan, this brush worked just fine it held and released lather really well, it is very soft, which was fine, the part I will change for it’s next use is the backbone, I need it to have a little more, so I am putting a rubber o-ring on it which will give it the same effect as if it had been set a little deeper. With this change it will be great for me.

Blade: Kai (2), it is definitely true the Kai gets a lot sharper after the first use, which is not real conducive to the way I shave, it has been months since I had a weeper, and even longer since my neck was red after a shave. At this point and time I am putting the Kai’s away.

Soap: Ethos Colonia very glad that I was using this soap with the Kia blade or things would have been worse.

Razor: Timeless Ti Sb .95

Post Shave: 4711 I am really liking this aftershave and more importantly so is my wife 😃😃

It is a BBS shave but irritation
7.5/10
FE967AB6-1A31-4DC6-A425-5A452D95738E.jpeg

My Mother's Day (Sunday) Afternoon Shave
Prep: Warm shower​
Strop: Tony Miller Premium Steerhide Smooth w/ Linen​
Two pass shave: WTG, XTG/ATG​
Razor: American Knife Co., Plymouth Hollow, Connecticut- Circa 1849-1875​
Pre-Shave: Taconic Organic Pre-Shave Oil, Unscented​
Brush: Elite Razor Quilted Sapele with 24mm Mother Load​
Soap: Murphy & McNeil Nil Scent (Fragrance Free) Shaving Soap​
Facial Toner: Thayers Alcohol-Free Original Witch Hazel Facial Toner with Aloe Vera Formula​
Aftershave: Every Man Jack Fragrance Free Face Lotion and Post-Shave. Menthyl, Chamomile, Shea Butter, Vitamin E​
8.0/10 Would have been an excellent shave, if not for two cuts....

Ha. I have not been super active here as my routine has gotten pretty bland. I use the Shark blade 99% of the time and 1 of 2 razors. I used the black handle and shark on Saturday as a matter of fact and it went gloriously well.

I am happy yours went well also. One of the great bonuses of this site it you can try and then tweak and build on others trials and learnings. And this place has many great people as well. Happy Shaves!

Razor: Gillette 1967 Black Handle SuperSpeed
Blade: Shark Super Stainless (2)
Brush: Yaqi - Aqua Tuxedo
Pre-Shave: Innisfree - Jeju Volcanic Pore Cleansing Foam
Lather: Arsenal Grooming - Cabaret
Aftershave: Dr. Jon’s Cedar & Rose
View attachment 1263752
Shave Rating: 10/10
Mated for Life?
Ive always enjoyed my black handled Super Speed, and I’ve always had a soft spot for Shark blades.
I already had a a shark started and I was trying to think of which razor to pair it with when I remembered @Screeby expounding on how he had found this combination and loved it. Every time I look at a Shark blade @Screeby’s post always popped into my head, but I don’t think I ever hooked the two of them up.

Today I matched these two mid-gentle creatures and was extremely satisfied. An absolutely relaxing and comfortable shave. Cleanly stripped my face down to the hardwood with a post shave face that keeps saying “Let me know when your done”.
From now on, I’m going to keep my tuck of Shark blades right beside this black handle super speed.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I always forget the US and UK have different mother's days. Without fail, every year I see someone in the US on some form of social media post about it and instantly start panicking that I have forgotten about it 😂

That feeling of panic that descends on all of us when we think we've forgotten any holiday important to the Mother or the Wife. ;) :eek2:

This soap smells a little different to me each time I try to figure out what I'm picking up from it:

tempImageY8d3yh.jpg

I often go to "baking spices," which is probably good because the description from several websites says "Patterned after one of Will’s favorite holiday cookies, Dickens, Revisited combines notes of cherry, black pepper, nutmeg, cardamom, and lemon into a spicy, merry scent perfect for a shave before fighting hordes of shoppers or opening presents." But sometimes I also think pine, as in a fresh cut Christmas tree. Either way, it works. And the scent lasts a couple hours or so, which is nice.

I am obviously trying to capture yesterday's excellent shave twice in a row, but the 5th use of the KAI Blade wasn't quite the same. Not bad, but I did get a few weepers and a nick that made me reach for some alum. I got a closer shave than yesterday's, but with a tiny bit of harshness. I'm not sure that the Lemon Chill made a great combo, surprisingly, and my choice of a yellow backdrop makes the stuff look clear! Ha ha. One of these days I'll get it right.

Rating: "Ho ho ho"/10. Or, 8.75/10 if you're not from the North Pole.

- Brush: Simpson Chubby 2 Silvertip
- Razor: Razorock Hawk
- Blade: Feather AC Pro (5)
- Soap: Stirling Island Man
- Aftershave: Stirling Island Man
- Post Shave: Thayers Rose, Hyaluronic Acid

I went for BBS on a 48 hour beard and I got it. Perfectly clean. No visible weepers but my face looked like a 13 year old at prom after some Thayers. Witch Hazel gave me a bit of irritation and the AS was like Kevin McAllister in Home Alone. Ouch.

These AC razors deserve respect and my stupid brain decided that a 48 hour beard on my 5th shave ever with a sharp Feather single blade needed some pressure... live and learn. 😱

7.5/10

DD5430F4-414B-46CE-92E2-42263B893962.jpeg

Drizzly Sunday Evening Shave:

Fatip OC Slant Piccolo
Nacet (1)
Semogue C5 Torga premium boar brush
PAA Ice Cube 2.0 pre-shave soap, as a stick
Haslinger Marigold stick + Omega Eucalyptus
Dickinson's witch hazel w/ Pereja Limon Kolonya
LEA 3-in-1 aftershave balm with mild alcohol & menthol

Clean, close shave; DFS+

Marigold + Eucalyptus probably sounds like an odd combination, but it's actually pretty nice if you like herbal-type scents. Haslinger scents are fairly mild.

Operation: "Use Up Odds & Ends" continues...

Top Bottom