What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

Pre Shave: Warm Shower, Stirling Unscented Pre Shave Soap
Razor: Colonial General V2
Blade: Kai ProTouch MG
Soap/Cream: Arianna & Evans L'Orange Verde
Bowl: Timeless Blue Shave Bowl
Brush: Semogue TAJ Resin Handle SOC Boar
Post Shave: Cold Water Rinse, Thayers Unscented Witch Hazel, Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm, A&E L'Orange Verde
Rating: 10/10 Excellent 2 1/2 pass BBS shave. No weepers, cuts or irritation. Mindless carefree shave.

Partly Sunny Saturday Shave:

Fatip OC Slant Piccolo
Silver Star (2)
Provence Sante Verlaine shave soap
Semogue 620 boar brush
Dickinson's witch hazel mixed with Pereja Limon Kolonya

Clean, close shave; DFS+

1618668971021.png

Last edited:
Saturday morning- another fine shave- two passes, plus a little clean up, 9+/10, no mishaps. I'm using the same set-up most days and really dialing it in, although the lack of diversity is getting a bit boring:

Pre-shave: shower and face wash
Razor: Occam's OREN- two-dot head- the slight blade float in this razor is really working to give me close, easy shaves. Not quite as close as a my Artist Club straight razors, but good enough. I'm finding the shaves just so easy with these Occam's razors- it's almost like cheating.
Blade: Feather Pro (3)- smooth and sweet.
Brush: Omega 10083 faux chrome boar; it's funny, I broke in a white handled Pro 49 to take and picked this box up by mistake when packing. Oh well, it's much the same.
Soap: Canada Shave Soap- just an incredibly slick, comfortable lather.
Post-shave: cold rinse, Aqua Velva Classic Ice Blue AS- Perhaps, I'll go to Pasteur's Pharmacy this week and pick up a bottle of AS to mix things up some more.

Enjoy your weekend shaves!

PXL_20210417_135443621.jpg
PXL_20210417_135443621.jpg

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
DE SOTD, Sat, April 17

Razor: Gillette Fatboy, E4 - Mfg 1959 4qtr, great razor, easy to adjust with out changing plates, great results.
Blade: Gillette 7oClock SP(black)(3) excellent blade, sharp & smooth with reasonable longevity.
Soap: Razorock Lavender- nice manly lavender scent, great lather qualities with great shave feel.
Brush: Yaqi Chianti's 24mm knot, excellent lather generator, heavenly cloud like soft tips+ gentle scrub & excellent lather painter.
Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera Gel on the cleaned beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave: Razorock King Louis lavender AS with witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm.
Results: 9/10 or CCS, DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers = :a17: excellent shave with my Gillette Fatboy with a Gillette 7oClock SP.

DE SOTD, Sat, April 17th 2021.jpg

Have some great shaves! Stay & think safe in these times!

Last edited:
Today's shave

Razor: Schick Injector Type G4 - Schick 66
Blade: Schick Injector (7)
Soap: A&E Summer Fig sample
Brush: Omega 10065 Boar
AS: Bootlegger's Green Freeze

Rating: 10/10

A great shave to start the weekend!

This A&E Summer Fig soap is good and the scent is smells like the description to me but don't know if I like it enough to get a tub of it.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Rating: 10/10
Pre-Shave: Cold water splash - Pinaud Clubman Classic Barber Shave Cream (Brushless - applied by hand.)
Soap: Goodfellas' Smile Chronos
Brush: APShave Co. synthetic - Emerald
Razor: Timeless SS SB w/scalloped head & base
Blade: Kai SS (2)
Post-Shave: Cold water splash - Thayers Lemon-scented Witch Hazel - Lucky Tiger aftershave tonic
AS: Stirling Triumph splash

DFS/BBS with the Timeless/Kai SS combination. This is another razor that's a keeper for me...good as what the Lupo can do. That having been said, I'm tied to the Kai SS with it...which is ok because I bought 100 a while back and still have most of those.

The Chronos/Triumph scents are a very good match. Wife approved! :thumbup1:

Happy Shaves, Everyone.

Kit 20210417.jpg

Visiting the tailor this morning, so a straight razor shave seemed in order, but my old Wostenholm wasn't quite up to snuff. It's been a while since I used it, and I didn't have time for a quick hone. So...

Pre-Shave: Shower and St. Ives exfoliant scrub
Soap: Moon Soaps Union
Brush: Omega 10098 Boar Bristle
Razor: Parker SRX
Blade: Shark
Post-Shave: Cold water, alum block
AS: Pinaud Clubman

Excellent results, but I'm a little stung. I need to keep some unscented balm around.

20210416_085616.jpg

Razor: Gillette 1976 W1 Super Speed
Blade: Gillette King C. Gillette Platinum
Brush: Simpson Butterscotch Chubby 2 Synthetic
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Noble Otter Monarch
Aftershave: Maurer and Wirtz 4711
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Imperial Leather Talcum Powder
Rating ten.

Soap: Proraso Green
Razor: Gillette Tech
Blade: Treet classic
Brush: Muhle Synthetic
Aftershave: Witch Hazel / Skin Bracer

Gonna be out of town soon so decided to get a DE shave in since I don’t travel with a straight razor. Decided to use some of the old favorites that I neglect nowadays. Missed my old ‘79 Spiral Tech. Fantastic razor. Lovely shave.
10/10

10/10
Gin and tonic on the rocks has quickly become one of my favorite scents!

Rex ambassador was paired with a new permasharp. The first time I used a permasharp a few months ago I hated it. I revisited it today and started at setting 4 for the first stroke and it was ok but when I went up to setting 6 it was butter smooth. Setting 6 paired with the permasharp seems to be my sweet spot for that blade. It was smooth sailing.

Setting 6 for wtg and xtg then setting 3 for atg which was very smooth! Very close bbs and comfortable at that :)

Menthol is always nice on hot Georgia days
proxy.php

- Fayiz D.

Preshave: Geo. Trumper Lime skin food
Soap: Trumper Lime/badger brush
Razor: '57 Gillette Diplomat/Astra green
Results: a solid 9.5! Smooth and effective. The razor has a nice weight and 24k gold is very slippery. The alum bar gave positive feedback for this combination and the Trumper Lime skin food gave the whole affair a welcome summation.

Razor: Above the Tie M2 open comb with Atlas barber pole handle
Blade: Rapira Platinum Lux (1)
Brush: RazoRock Barber 24 synthetic
Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat
Rating: 9.5

This afternoon's shave on 1+ day of growth. Easy BBS after WTG/XTG/ATG passes, no irritation, but two painless nicks under the lower lip, and some post-shave redness (probably remnants of yesterday's shave with a GSB blade at its end of life).

This was my first time using a Rapira blade, which seemed plenty sharp and smooth enough, though perhaps not as smooth as an Astra SS or Treet Duramax Carbon. Time will tell, but so far, thumbs up on Rapira!

My Saturday Afternoon Shave
Prep: Warm shower​
Strop: Tony Miller Premium Steerhide Smooth w/ Linen​
Two pass shave: WTG, ATG/XTG​
Razor: Watts Sheffield Quarter Hollow Grind 6/8 - Pressed Leather Scales
Pre-Shave: Taconic Organic Pre-Shave Oil, Unscented​
Brush: Custom Prototype Brush - Synthetic​
Soap: Murphy & McNeil Crann Bethadh Shaving Soap​
Facial Toner: Murphy & McNeil Crann Bethadh Aftershave Splash - Alcohol and Menthol Free​
Aftershave: Murphy & McNeil Crann Bethadh Aftershave Balm​
9.0/10 Interesting shave!
  • A lot of pluses and minuses during this shave.....I could have rated this anywhere from a 7 to a 10
  • Long story short - I cut my finger. I was messing with a long strand of loose hair. The cut was bleeding pretty good, but it cleared up by the end of the shave by rinsing cold water over it
  • Several nicks that cleared up with my face rinse
  • Second time using this razor. A (almost full) wedge razor is an experience I am still getting used to. Limited feedback as far as noise and feel compared to a full hollow ground. On the other hand it feels really smooth while using - a nice hefty weight
    • When I purchased this razor, there was a note to not strop it first. I can only assume the seller has had issues in the past with people mucking up the edge before even using it. After the firs time using it (which was excellent), I did strop it with paste and then linen, etc. It seemed a little keener today...
  • I am still intrigued with the concept of pressed leather scales on an SR
  • An extremely close and enjoyable shave, the above included...
  • I hope everyone is having an excellent weekend!
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Top Bottom