What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

Prep: Warm water
Razor: Rockwell 6s, Plates R4 and R3
Blade: Wilkinson Sword Classic (4)
Soap: Stirling "Naked and Smooth" (+Frost Drops)
Bowl: Cheap ceramic (Clearance Rack at Target)
Brush: Simpson Trafalgar T3 (aka "The Lather Cannon")
Post-shave: Cold water rinse, Thayer's unscented WH, Stirling "Orange Chill" ASB
Rating: Superb

Really loving the Wilkinson Sword blades. It's possible they could be deemed my new Favorite Blade; displacing the Personna Crystal from its lofty perch. The anticipation is positively palpable, I know.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
Friday morning shave

Razor: Joseph Allen & Sons
Brush: Boar
Soap: D.R. Harris Windsor

Just a really pleasant shave this morning. Enjoying the Windsor soap, user friendly and straightforward.
Have a great weekend all!
667063F1-16AE-493C-9D43-1208D7D36BD4.jpeg

9/10

20210415_083503.jpg

Razor: Schick L7 Championship Razor
Blade: Personna Injector
Brush: Rudy Vey Badger & Blade 2020 Group Buy #4/30
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Shannon's Soaps Botanica
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Imperial Leather Talcum Powder
Ten!

Razor: GEM Contour (Flip-Top Variant) 1972-1973
Blade: GEM (Personna) PTFE (7)
Brush: Yaqi - Sagrada Familia (24mm synthetic)
Pre-Shave: Innisfree - Jeju Volcanic Pore Cleansing Foam
Lather: Panta Rei - Zammu (made by Tcheon Fung Sing)
Aftershave: Ethos - Peppermint Splash
View attachment 1252286
Shave Rating: 8.9/10
Is it a Gem or a cubic zirconia?
This is my second shave with the GEM Contour and I still can’t get a handle on it. I’m not sure if I should describe it using that old standby “a mild shaver”, or if it just isn’t that good of a razor. My first shave with it wasn’t acceptable, unable to attain any kind of a BBS, especially on my neck. Granted my neck takes more extra passes and scrubbing than most people, but the contour just didn’t seem to be able to grasp those whiskers. Today I let my natural muscle memory and subconsciousness control the razor and ended with a much better shave. I still had to do a lot of scraping and ended up with what I’d call a BBS if you ignored stray bits of micro stubble. Post shave face is hot from excess abrasiveness.
Perhaps there was a reason the Contour was the last of the GEM razors. I’ll wait a while and give it one last go. Perhaps with a brand new blade, but I’m not holding my breath.

Zammu and Ethos? What could feel fresher than liquorice backed up with peppermint?
Actually the ContourII was the last GEM razors, I have one and have never got a close shave from it. I've heard that the Contour actually shaves better than the ContourII but I don't have a Contour to compare the shaves.

View attachment 1252408
Blade: Personna Injector
Brush: Rudy Vey Badger & Blade 2020 Group Buy #4/30
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Shannon's Soaps Botanica
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Imperial Leather Talcum Powder
Ten!
Love the L7, still trying to find one for my Schick collection. Maybe I'll get lucky next year after the sabbatical.

Actually the ContourII was the last GEM razors, I have one and have never got a close shave from it. I've heard that the Contour actually shaves better than the ContourII but I don't have a Contour to compare the shaves.
Mine is actually a Contour 1.5.
Regular Contour 1 has a push button, but mine is a flip top variant. Basically it’s a contour II with a metal handle. Kind of a missing link.

Friday shave, two days growth.

I used the SOC boar again with the Haslinger sheep - the lather was really luxurious, not too dry, quite a bit. It worked well. The shave was smooth and comfortable with one nick at the chin. It was not as close as on wednesday. Therefore, I score it 8/10

Razor: Rockwell 6S, WTG, XTG: R4, ATG, touch up: R3
Blade: Feather (4)
Brush: SOC boar
Soap: Haslinger sheep
Preshave: Balea Rasieröl
Aftershave: Osma Alum, Nivea Sensitive Balm

Today's shave:

Brush: Elite Honduran Rosewood Burl 26mm Manchurian White
Soap: Los Jabones de Joserra Vanitas
Razor: Haircut & Shave N076 alum base
Blade: Bic Chrome Platinum
Aftershave (not pictured): Phytomer Homme Rasage

Another day, another great shave. Nothing I can possibly fault. Relatively unknown and somewhat hard to get but the Joserra soap is top of the line.
2021-04-15 SOTD H&S N0 Vanitas.jpeg
10/10

My Friday Morning Shave
Prep: Warm shower​
Strop: Tony Miller Premium Steerhide Smooth w/ Linen​
Two pass shave: WTG, ATG/XTG​
Razor: DOVO Best Quality 5/8" Full Hollowed​
Pre-Shave: Proraso Blue Cream, Aloe & Vitamin E​
Brush: Elite Razor Waterfall Bubinga w/ 26mm High Mountain White Fan​
Soap: Tabac Original Shaving Soap w/ Bowl​
Facial Toner: Lucky Tiger After Shave and Face Tonic​
Aftershave: Every Man Jack Fragrance Free Face Lotion and Post-Shave. Menthyl, Chamomile, Shea Butter, Vitamin E​
9.8/10 DFS! Very close shave! No irritation!
  • A really enjoyable shave today!
  • The only issue is that I caught my Adam's apple. It cleaned up with my rinse
  • The soap and brush were both thirsty today
proxy.php
proxy.php

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Friday 20210416
20210416_152257.jpg

Razor: Gillette NEW Short Comb (SC)
Blade: Wizamet Super Iridium (1)
Brush: Rudy Vey Irish Bog Oak (IBO) (Mühle 25mm Silvertip Fibre)
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: WSP Rustic Tobacco
Moisturizer: Nivea Post Shave Balm + Hyaluronic Acid
Fragrance: Canoe EdT Splash

Excellent shave! :cool:

Pre: Proraso white
Lather: Speick Active
Brush: AP Shave Co
Blade: Personna med prep(4)
Razor: FOCS
Rating: 9.1

Just gonna ride this blade til the wheels fall off. Decent shave for FOCS FRIDAY. No post shave irritation. Still nothing can beat the Karve plate D/med prep blade combo
E931D43D-A72F-447B-B9FB-1F779B30423D.jpeg

Today I used:
Taylor of Old Bond Street Grapefruit
Yaqi synthetic brush
Gillette Monotech Made in Brazil
Nacet blade (1st use)
Fine Snakebite Aftershave

My first time using the Monotech. I picked it up on EBay for $30 from a seller in Serbia. (The shipping was $25, and took three weeks to make it to Tennessee) He had it listed as a Brazilian made Super Speed. The shave was a 10 out of 10. BBS with no effort, even the neck area. Well chuffed with this razor, it’s going to a top spot in my rotation.

That's such a cool looking razor--white handle with simple red and blue stripes. Perfect.

I had a slightly rough ride with Speick soap yesterday, so I had to try to go easier tonight. Things didn't start well...

tempImaged0LKhM.jpg

...because the Seville didn't yield much lather even though I loaded the heck out of it. However, it proved slick and protective enough for a good shave, and having run out after three passes, that was that. Probably what I should have planned on.

Best of all: NO blood and very little irritation. I think this Proguard blade on shave #5 is in really nice shape.

The scent combo of the soap, splash, and balm was pretty awesome.

I missed some easy spots due to finishing a little early, but I got the sides of the chin area really smooth for the first time with this razor. Some pretty epic grimacing did the trick finally.

Hey--"Epic Grimacer" would be a good username for any lurkers reading this and thinking about joining B&B. You're welcome.

8.5/10

- Brush: Simpson M7 synthetic
- Razor: Merkur Progress
- Blade: Polsilver SI (4 and done)
- Soap: Williams Mug Soap
- Aftershave: Aqua Velva Ice Blue
- Post Shave: Thayers Rose, Hyaluronic Acid

Old school today as I haven't used Williams in months. Turned out to be an excellent shave. Williams is a fine soap but it does dry out my skin a bit. The smell is faint and non offensive and is easy to lather. And it is just over a buck a puck. “One Buck Puck”? Sorry, long day!

My M7 is the best synthetic I have used. Better than the Chubby 2 (same bristles) and better then the Trafalgar series Simpsons (different bristles). Just a great bowl or face latherer.

The Merkur isn’t my favorite razor but it did great today set at 3 with a Polsilver blade.

And Ice Blue is arguably the best sub $5 AS available. I got mine at Dollarama for just over $3USD. No “old man” or “grandma’s purse” scent with this one. Fairly modern IMO and not too heavily scented.

9/10

D5C484EC-C222-4683-B755-CD41EEF63B7F.jpeg
3B1D44D1-F732-42E9-8720-22AA627C0DF2.jpeg

- Brush: Simpson M7 synthetic
- Razor: Merkur Progress
- Blade: Polsilver SI (4 and done)
- Soap: Williams Mug Soap
- Aftershave: Aqua Velva Ice Blue
- Post Shave: Thayers Rose, Hyaluronic Acid

Old school today as I haven't used Williams in months. Turned out to be an excellent shave. Williams is a fine soap but it does dry out my skin a bit. The smell is faint and non offensive and is easy to lather. And it is just over a buck a puck. “One Buck Puck”? Sorry, long day!

My M7 is the best synthetic I have used. Better than the Chubby 2 (same bristles) and better then the Trafalgar series Simpsons (different bristles). Just a great bowl or face latherer.

The Merkur isn’t my favorite razor but it did great today set at 3 with a Polsilver blade.

And Ice Blue is arguably the best sub $5 AS available. I got mine at Dollarama for just over $3USD. No “old man” or “grandma’s purse” scent with this one. Fairly modern IMO and not too heavily scented.

9/10

View attachment 1252607View attachment 1252609
i have a Trafalgar T3 in the post, i maybe try an M7 later😁

Top Bottom