What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

Pre: proraso white
Razor:FOCS
Blade:Gillette
Brush:Yaqi 26mm synth
Lather:L’Occitane
Post:warm rinse,cold rinse,alum cold rinse,proraso white AS balm x2
Rating:8.7 would use again

First go with the FOCS. I was hoping for decent results because I was going for a ride after and my winter gear includes a full face. Well it lived up to the hype. Nice n smooth razor. Much smoother than my ‘20’s Gillette open comb. Not fully bbs, but I chalk that up to technique. Lots of feedback from the alum block but that was gone 30mins later.

Attachments

• 0B6C3161-0E9E-4D9A-90A6-4071468243A2.jpeg
    0B6C3161-0E9E-4D9A-90A6-4071468243A2.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 7
Razor: Rockwell 6S (R4/R3)
Blade: Astra Superior Stainless (1)
Brush: Simpson's Trafalgar T3
Soap: Proraso "Blue" Cream
Rating: 9.9

I have a few blades I've kept in rotation, and used exclusively, for some time now: the Gillette Nacet, the Personna Crystal and the Personna Lab Blue. The Crystal has been my favorite for a long time, the Lab Blue my least favorite. After another rough-ish shave with a Lab Blue a couple days ago I decided to try an Astra Superior Stainless. The Razor Blades Testing site shows the two blades have very similar numbers so I thought the Astra would be a good bet... Turns out it was.

I did one pass with the R4 and one pass with the R3 and I was done. The Astra SS was super smooth and comfortable, which I value even more than overall closeness (I'm not one to chase BBS). In short, it was just a joy to shave with. It's currently a shave-sample of one, but if I keep getting shaves like this the Astra SS will boot the Lab Blues, possibly even the Nacets, out of my rotation.
You should boot the lab blues anyway. I love the Personna Crystal’s, and like the Personna Med Prep, but the Lab Blues for some reason I really dislike.

Blade: Polsilver SI (2), today was so smooth we will move on to day 3 tomorrow
Soap: SV Cubebe v4.3
Brush: Simpson’s M7 Best
Razor: Timeless Ti SB .95, the only razor I am using
Post Shave: Lucky Tiger 🐅, and Pinaud Clubman

For me this is an incredible combo, face lathered today and the M7 seems to do better face vs bowl. Zero sting with the Pinaud Clubman

10/10 my new Timeless handle arrived today
0DF4EAD7-1C5D-4539-845B-722278691416.jpeg
2B33954E-4B4C-446E-A344-80C8A5EB232D.jpeg

Preshave:
Face wash with warm water and Soap Commander strategy bath soap
Shave:
Soap Commander Strategy shaving soap
Semogue 730 Badger brush
1965 K1 Gillette Slim
Shark super stainless blade
3 passes (WTG, XTG, ATG)
Aftershave:
Cool water rinse
Soap Commander Strategy AS Balm

Only my second time using a Shark blade. Noticed a lot more feedback sound that my usual Personna blue blades.
Decently close shave with no nicks or irritation.

Rating: 9

Brush: Morris & Forndran 26mm Heritage II Blonde Badger
Soap: Tallow + Steel Sicily
Razor: Haircut & Shave P076 Ti with new handle and head
Blade: Bic Chrome Platinum
Aftershave: Tallow + Steel Sicily

For the third day in a row I used the H&S P076 Ti and each day I say to myself "well, that was the best shave I've ever had." Doesn't matter what soap, what brush. Fantastic shave: smooth and easy; not a nick, not an irritation; BBS. Just a pleasurable 15 to or so minutes. 10/10

2021-02-26 08.37 copy.jpeg

Put a couple of new arrivals, the duke and the bird, to use today:
PXL_20210227_022336193.jpg
Duke 3 in best w/ SV Tundra Artica
Jet Blackbird w/Astra SP (3)
Nivea ASB followed by St. James Cedarwood & Clarysage EDT
The Simpson Brush and Blackbird arrived today separately. Both performed extremely well. I have narrowed in that Astra SP is an excellent blade for me. 9/10

EE1F49EF-7FFE-4950-8961-B3B91DD8D63D.jpeg

Razor: Timeless .95 Titanium OC / Scalloped Top Cap & .95 Titanium SB / Smooth Top Cap
Blade: Kai Stainless Steel (1)
Brush: Chisel and Hound “Buffalo Valley” 26mm V9 Fanchurian
Lather: Barrister and Mann Le Grand Chypre
Aftershave: Barrister and Mann Le Grand Chypre Aftershave Splash
Barrister and Mann Le Grand Chypre Aftershave Balm
Additional Care: Timeless Lather Bowl
Omega Alum Stick

+ BBS!
+ No cuts, weepers, irritation, redness or bumps / ingrowns
+ Almost no feedback with the alum
- Tugging on the ATG pass on chin, goatee and lip

As the Kai blade tugged really bad last time, I used the OC for the WTG and XTG then used the SB for ATG. The OC mowed it down really easy and had less tugging on the ATG. LGC is in my top 2 or 3, 😍 it.

10/10 Fantastic shave!

tempImage3o8mUH.jpg

Razor: Prewar Tech (first use!)
Blade: Gillette Platinum (2)
Brush: Razorock Tricolore
Lather: Tabac
Aftershave splash: Proraso Green
Balm: Nivea Cooling

The Prewar Tech was different from the Postwar I'm used to . . . but I can't really describe how yet. I enjoyed it, it was a good shave! Loved the fat handle, everything worked well together. I didn't chase a super close shave, just enjoyed how these items worked together. Good stuff. Looking forward to several more with this razor in a row to get a feel for it. Cheers everyone.

Sat 27th SOTD
Cream Ach Brito Lavender 1st Use
Brush Yaqi 24mm Green Mink
Razor Gillette Slim N4
Blade KAI 5th (Mysterious KAI Blades PIF Participation)
Post & Aftershaves Ice Water + Thayers + Hyaluronic + Proraso Green Splash
Nice cream. Very creamy and slick with a light lavender scent.
Shave with razor paired with the blade for 3passes at setting 9-9-7 was reasonably comfortable but it was obvious the blade is not as good anymore. Managed dfs result without any blood which I am satisfied with. The blade will be ditched. Excellent aftershaves. Rating 9/10
20210227_101254.jpg

Prep: Room Temperature Water Splashes + Glycerin Face Wash
Razor: Parker SRX Shavette
Blade: Bolzano Superinox Half Blade (D4)
Brush: Semogue SOC 2-Band Badger
Cream : Old Spice Shaving Cream
Aftershave: Alum Block + Cold Water Rinse + Old Spice Original AS Lotion
Rating : 9.85/10

Very comfortable and nice BBS in 2.5 passes !

Gillette old type 1917 razor
Gillette silver blue (1)
AOS sandalwood pre shave
AOS Oud shaving cream
Acne face wash then blackhead scrub
Cold rinse, alum block
Cold rinse, AOS sandalwood aftershave

overall 9.7/10 BBS+ shave
Really liked the GSB blade today on its first trial run. It was smooth and effortless. I admit I always take a little too much caution when I first try a blade out so I had to touch up my chin area but this may be one of my best shaves yet since I started. No perfect score because after a few shave with a blade I usually work have to do any touch ups but that should come with practice of course

Bright Saturday morning. Colder than the last few days, with a bit of frost on the ground, but clear blue skies.

Current production Thiers Issard 11/16 round point straight razor
Zenith 507 wood handle Manchurian badger brush
Taylor of Old Bond Street "Cedarwood"
Proraso Red aftershave

The Issard is another consistently good shave. It's the cheaper black plastic scaled one, but it has a fine quality feel to it.

Been a few weeks since I used this Zenith, but it's a good one and scoops masses of the TOBS - I always seem to end up with too much lather and spend five more minutes scraping it off the basin and pushing it down the plug hole. Proraso Red says it's sandalwood rather than cedarwood, but they're not a bad match of smells.

I've added a skin pull in another direction on all passes, which together with the pedal-bin head flip on the first and third seems to drag most of the ATG sandpaper patch onto the jawline and lets me get at it a bit better. Nice smooth and comfortable shave - I'm going to round up to a "10" again until I can find something else to get fussy about.

Saturday morning shave

Razor - Fatip slant gentile
Blade - Persona platinum (3rd use)
Soap - Stirling Bay Rum
Brush - Omega s10065
Aftershave - Floid vigoroso

So sixth time using the Fatip and I think I've got it down, no nicks just, no irritation, just lovely and smooth. No reaction when the aftershave went on.

Solid 9/10 not quite a 10 as there is one tiny patch I missed.

bb.jpg

Saturday morning budget shave:

Razor: Baili BT131
Blade: Rapira Swedish Supersteel
Brush: Yaqi 24mm Sagrada Familia
Soap: De Vergulde Hand

Rating: 8/10

A relaxing, comfortable two pass shave. I'm not crazy about this particular Rapira blade, but it did the job.

Top Bottom