What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

IMG_1136.JPG

A hot shower...
lather bowl: Fine
Razor: iKon X3
Blade: Astra SP (2)
Shavette: Gravity
Soap: Proraso Red
Brush: Simpson Trafalgar T3
Rating 9.0

3 passes, a little touchup with the shavette, ..a good close shave. My Prorasso Red is almost gone, I'm thinking of trying the Wood and Spice Single Blade, before I order more red, anyone use that stuff regularly?

My Tuesday Morning Shave
Prep: Warm shower​
Two pass shave: WTG, ATG/XTG​
Razor: Gillette Slim Adjustable #4​
Blade: Gillette Nacet (2)​
Pre-Shave Cream: Proraso White Cream For Sensitive Skin, Green Tea & Oat​
Brush: Vie-Long Horse Hair​
Soap: Proraso White Shaving Soap for Sensitive Skin, Green Tea & Oat​
Facial Toner: Thayers Original Witch Hazel w/ Aloe Vera Formula​
Aftershave Balm: Proraso White Balm for Sensitive Skin, Green Tea & Oat​
Rating: 9.9/10 DFS! No nicks! No irritation!
  • A Proraso white kind of day
  • This is only the second time using this razor. I don't think I will ever get a BBS shave at the #4 setting. Next time I will dial it up a little more aggressive
  • A close even shave overall, the above notwithstanding
  • The soap was a little dry on the second application and I had to reapply to the brush
proxy.php

Last edited:
Prep: Hot shower
Soap: Tabac
Brush: APShaveco 24 mm. Synbad
Razor: Timeless .95 OC
Blade: Polsilver super iridium (2)
Afters: Alum block, Tabac splash, Tabac balm

3 passes (W,X,A) and very minor touchup. BBS.

10 / 10

First shave with a Timeless. Wow! I actually had to check to make sure I had a blade loaded. Definitely the best combination of smoothness and efficiency I've experienced. It was an effortless shave, and absolutely no feedback from the alum block. Half an hour later, my skin feels great. I'd say there will be no problem with this as a daily driver. Already looking forward to tomorrow :)
I am very happy for you had my first shave with a Timeless about 2 weeks ago and I felt exactly the same way. I got my Ti OC. .95 just yesterday had my second shave with it today and both were wonderful. Many great shaves for you and me.

Prep: Hot shower
Soap: Tabac
Brush: APShaveco 24 mm. Synbad
Razor: Timeless .95 OC
Blade: Polsilver super iridium (2)
Afters: Alum block, Tabac splash, Tabac balm

3 passes (W,X,A) and very minor touchup. BBS.

10 / 10

First shave with a Timeless. Wow! I actually had to check to make sure I had a blade loaded. Definitely the best combination of smoothness and efficiency I've experienced. It was an effortless shave, and absolutely no feedback from the alum block. Half an hour later, my skin feels great. I'd say there will be no problem with this as a daily driver. Already looking forward to tomorrow :)
I am very happy for you had my first shave with a Timeless about 2 weeks ago and I felt exactly the same way. I got my Ti OC. .95 just yesterday had my second shave with it today and both were wonderful. Many great shaves for you and me.

My Tuesday Morning Shave
Prep: Warm shower​
Two pass shave: WTG, ATG/XTG​
Razor: Gillette Slim Adjustable #4​
Blade: Gillette Nacet (2)​
Pre-Shave Cream: Proraso White Cream For Sensitive Skin, Green Tea & Oat​
Brush: Vie-Long Horse Hair​
Soap: Proraso White Shaving Soap for Sensitive Skin, Green Tea & Oat​
Facial Toner: Thayers Original Witch Hazel w/ Aloe Vera Formula​
Aftershave Balm: Proraso White Balm for Sensitive Skin, Green Tea & Oat​
Rating: 9.9/10 DFS! No nicks! No irritation!
  • A Proraso white kind of day
  • This is only the second time using this razor. I don't think I will ever get a BBS shave at the #4 setting. Next time I will dial it up a little more aggressive
  • A close even shave overall, the above notwithstanding
  • The soap was a little dry on the second application and I had to reapply to the brush
proxy.php
I like Proraso products a lot. That being said, I like the performance of the creams better than the soaps.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

Wed 27th SOTD
Soap Phoenix & Beau Imperial Rum
Brush Yaqi 24mm Mountain Lake 2 Band Badger
Razor Parker SemiSlant on a Yaqi Handle
Blade Derby Usta 1st
Post & aftershaves Ice Water + Thayers + Hyaluronic + Clubman GentsGin
Nice lather from the soap. Creamy, slick, and nice but mild scent.
The shave with razor paired with the blade was very good. Very smooth and comfortable for 3passes even atg@difficult areas without any issues for a mostly BBS result. Excellent aftershaves! The lead for today's shave is the razor/blade combo.
Rating 10/10!
20210127_072002.jpg

20210127_085627.jpg

Prep: Room Temperature Water Splashes + Glycerin Face Wash
Razor: Rockwell 6S (R4)
Blade: BIC Chrome Platinum Blade (D4)
Brush: Shavemac Silvertip Badger
Cream : Old Spice Original Shaving Cream
Aftershave: Alum Block + Cold Water Rinse + Anherb AS Lotion
Rating : 9.7/10

Very comfortable and nice BBS in 3 passes !

27012021 - Windsor Wednesday

IMG_20210127_093634.jpg

Proraso Pre White | Simpson T3 | FOCS + Voskhod (2nd) | DRH Windsor soap | Aloe Ver Gel and Simpson Bay Rum AS balm

Cold water, 3 passes with minor touch-ups on 24h stubble.
No nicks, no cuts, no irritations. BBS if not for some ATG feel left over on a trouble spot that I didn't bother touching up.

A very pleasant shave.

8.5/10

Razor: American Line SS St. Louis
Brush: Yaqi - Purple Mink
Pre-Shave: Face Wash & Hyaluronic Acid
Lather: Sapinificio Varesino - Desert Vetiver
Aftershave: Declaration Grooming - Yuzu/Rose/Patchouli
Strop: Ezra Arthur
View attachment 1213778
Nothing to see here...move along!
Shave Rating...Never Mind
Second straight razor shave. American Line SS St. Louis. It started out good. I was shaving away with great authority, totally immune to nicks or cuts. First pass...hmmmm. Pretty whiskery still. Re-lather and go at a second pass. No fooling around. Shave...shave...shave...hmmmm, I don’t think I shaved anything. The blade seemed nice and sharp after I honed it. I wonder if my inexperienced stropping undid the edge. First time with the linen before the leather too.
This is silly. Maybe if I try a different razor.
Razor #2: Carbo-Magnetic Griffon.
View attachment 1213786
Okay! This razor has a proper edge. I can tell by the blood running down my neck and both cheeks. It is removing whiskers too. Smooth cheeks, mustachios and chin area. Neck is pretty scruffy but cant seem to get a clean shave without cutting myself.
Im beginning to doubt if I have any natural straight razor abilities. I finally called it a day because I couldn’t stop the bleeding on my cheeks. Even the styptique pencil isn’t able to staunch it. As I am writing this, I have wads of cotton stuck to my cheeks to sop up blood.
My confidence in myself is at an all time low. I think I’ll put away the straights for some healing and let enough time pass that I’ll try it again.
Don't give up yet buddy. I have a few straights too and after a few unsuccessful attempt to hone and get it ready, I think failed as just like you I can shave with it but it's not removing the stubble. I am not sure it passes the HHT...
I leave the SRs for now until I have more time and most importantly better "honing equipment"? I really want to get a true shave-ready straight for comparison but there's no reputable honemeister in my place.

Just my opinion but magnifying your pics the edges on both are looking a little suspect to me. I would advise getting at least one of your razors honed by a pro, so you have a baseline on what it should feel like. I have been doing this recently and it really has helped me narrow down the type finishing stone I prefer. Hang in there!!
That's exactly what I plan to do. Sent my SRs to a pro to get it properly honed so at least I know how a shave-ready SR can be sharp yet smooth, but they're all too far away...

Razor: WCS DE CC Cream and Red
Blade: Schick (3)
Brush: Semogue 1305 Boar, 21mm
Bowl: Supply Co Marble

Cream: Figaro: Expiration date 14/12/2013
(Apparently Not)

RazoRock GOLD Aftershave Splash

Very good, efficient shave this morning. Lather was good but I only have a few more shaves from this tube of Figaro. It's made in Budapest, Hungary. I don't remember who I bought it from.
A near BBS.

Have a great day everyone [emoji2]
proxy.php
proxy.php

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

Razor: RazoRock Mamba 70
Blade: Gillette Platinum (2)
Brush: RazoRock Plissoft Monster Synthetic Shaving Brush - 26mm
Pre-Shave: Hot Shower
Lather: Cella Extra Extra Bio + Neutrogena Sensitive Shave Skin Cream for men
Aftershave: Cold water rinses

No nicks: 5
No irritation: 5
Closeness: 5
Smoothness: 5

Overall rank: 10/10

Very good shave. Very close, smooth and pleasant shave.

YMMV

28 January 2021
DSCF2423.JPG

Prep:
Pear Soap facewash using my old Omega 11126 brush
Razor:
Disposable cart. For a day or two.
Soap:
Proraso Green shave cream (using rain water)
Brush:
Gray Dog
Blade:
Cartridge
Passes:
WTG then ATG
Cleanup:
Rinsed and dried face, Witch Hazel, and then an Alum rub down.
Aftershave:
Pinaud Clubman Bay Rum
Rating:
Razor: My original WCS 84S wouldn’t tighten after my 27 Jan shave. WCS is replacing it with a new one. Will have to suffer with a cartridge for the next few days. Apparently the tip of the cap screw broke off inside the handle.

Today’s Shave: 7.5 BAS The cart yielded a shave with minimal stubble, but on the plus side, no nicks or weepers. I can’t find words that describe what having to miss a DE shave felt like.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Rating: 10/10
Pre-Shave: Cold water splash - OPR Bay Rum shave soap
Soap: Chiseled Face Ghost Town Barber (Silk Tallow formula)
Brush: Yaqi Red Marbleized Tuxedo synthetic
Razor: Karve Brass OC (Plate B)
Blade: Astra SS (3)
Post-Shave: Cold water splash - Stirling Bay Rum scented Witch Hazel - Zingari Man The Wanderer Recovery Splash
AS: Zingari Man The Wanderer Aftershave Balm

Another grand, bloodless shave from the Karve OC loaded up with an Astra SS. Will probably go another shave or two with this blade before putting a Derby Premium back in to see which I like better. Soap lathered a little wetter than I would have liked, but it still provided ample protection and slickness. Smells great! If I wasn't on sabbatical, I would order the aftershave for Ghost Town Barber. Chose The Wanderer to compliment it. They have similarities.

Happy Shaves, Everyone.

Kit 20210127.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom