What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
Wednesday morning shave

Razor: Union Cutlery Co.
Brush: Synthetic
Soap: Castle Forbes 1445

Inaugural shave with Union Cutlery SR this morning.
Happy Wednesday!

04DD27A4-9910-4278-AB08-734F408C51BF.jpeg

9/10

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
20210120_090802~2.jpg

Razor: Wolfman WR2 1.25-SB
Blade: Feather (2)
Brush: Rudy Vey Irish Bog Oak (IBO) (Shavemac 24mm 2-Band Silvertip)
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: Cella Extra Extra Bio
Aftershave: TFS Intense Line - MandarinoTachibana

Three passes + touch-up. No nicks, cuts, weepers or irritation.

Outstanding shave. :cool:

IMG_20210120_193627.jpg

Cold Water Shave | Stirling Gatlinburg | Yaqi Mink | Fatip Grande Open Comb + Nacet (2nd) | Aloe Vera Gel and Proraso Red

After a horrible experience with Gillette Perma-Sharp that left me bloody and with a beat-up skin, today I could shave again.
I tried Fatip and Nacet which I found a super combo: efficient, smooth, and fun.

I also used a new brush I got from Yaqi, the Mink knot. For now I'm not completely sold on it, it's quite springy, doesn't splay easily if not at all, and I have to resort to painter strokes. Did I get a dud??

3 passes
(almost) BBS

8/10

Wednesday morning shave- two-pass, 9.6/10, nic result, no nicks, one tiny weeper, no irritation.

Razor: Feather AC SS Japanese style-
the SS handle is really a delight
Blade: Proline P-30 (5)- less sharp and a little more work today
Brush:Zenith Euro boar- this brush is finally starting to break in, enough lather for two passes and a bit of touch up. I'm not sure if it will reach the keep in the rotation stage.
Soap: MWF Stick- lather was fine, as usual
Post shave: cool rinse, alum, Masters Bay Rum- forgot how many bay rums were in the cupboard and decided to give this one a go. Much like I remembered, feels fine going on, not a long-lasting scent, and my face felt a little sticky from the glycerin. Not the best, but surely usable.

May your lather be slick and your shave do the trick!

PXL_20210120_195357563.jpg

- Prep: Hot washcloth
- Brush: Yaqi 30mm Barberpole
- Razor: Gillette Red Tip SS
- Blade: Lord Platinum Class (2)
- Soap: Wholly Kaw Tempest
- Aftershave: Wholly Kaw Tempest
- Post Shave: Thayers Rose, Hyaluronic Acid and Wholly Kaw Tempest balm

Nice shave with a rarely used beastly Yaqi brush. It is uuuge. Also, I am really liking every new Lord blade I try. Great blades as of late.

WC Tempest is a love or hate kinda thing. Grassy and dirty with ozone but I like it! Very similar to Summer Storm from Chiseled Face. The performance of the Siero base is one of the very best IMO.

9/10

Last edited:
I've been using my SE razors since the new year rang in; a Shick-Eversharp G and a Gem superlight; made a decision to become somewhat proficient with them this year. I'm still toying with the idea of a(n) SE for One Blade in February.
In the same spirit, decided I'd go full out with the Savier "dual blade" three piece. Snapped a Derby in half, loaded it, then the spacer, then the unsnapped blade. Took extra care to ensure everything was aligned...tightened and lathered up.
By the second swipe I knew something horrible would happen if I continued, so finished off with the injector.
Last night I took another look, nothing appeared misaligned, but didn't want to risk any damage so I disassembled, and loaded the unbroken blade into a '58 TV Special; this would at least let me know if it was the blade or the Savier which disagreed with me.
Closest, smoothest, most enjoyable shave in over two weeks...just goes to show. Practice makes perfect, and sometimes more practice is required. So, 10/10 with old standbys:

Gillette TV Special Super Speed
Derby Extra
Yaqi synthetic
Razorock Alchemy soap and splash

This will be my setup until Feb 1 and possibly longer, except for the blade.

My Wednesday Morning Shave
Prep: Warm shower​
Two pass shave: WTG, ATG/XTG​
Razor: Gillette Slim Adjustable #4 (First time using!)​
Blade: Gillette Nacet (1)​
Pre-Shave Cream: Proraso White Cream For Sensitive Skin, Green Tea & Oat​
Brush: Rudy Vey w/ Synbad Synthetic​
Soap: Colonel Conk Natural Shave Cream Rio Grande Lavender​
Facial Toner: Thayers Original Witch Hazel w/ Aloe Vera Formula​
Aftershave Balm: Every Man Jack Fragrance Free. Menthyl, chamomile, shea butter, vitamin E​
Rating: 8.8/10
  • First time using this razor. My first stroke was on level 3. I immediately dialed up to level 4.
  • A little short term irritation
  • A close shave overall

I am doing a blade seek on this one. Ideally I like to get 8 shaves on a combo before moving on to the next. The GSB has been getting 5 decent shaves a blade. And I hate to see a good blade go to waste.

Mamba 70 + GSB gets it done.

Thanks for the kind words.
What blades have you tried so far? I have the Mamba 70...it's a mild shaver, very pleasant to use.
Personna Platinum Chrome (Israeli)
PolSilver Super Iridium
Rapira Platinum Lux
7O’Clock Super Stainless
Gillette Nacet
7O’Clock SharpEdge
Gillette Silver Blue

Agreed, the Mamba 70 is mild and very pleasant to use. However, I can’t throw caution to the wind!!!:straight:

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Personna Platinum Chrome (Israeli)
PolSilver Super Iridium
Rapira Platinum Lux
7O’Clock Super Stainless
Gillette Nacet
7O’Clock SharpEdge
Gillette Silver Blue

Agreed, the Mamba 70 is mild and very pleasant to use. However, I can’t throw caution to the wind!!!:straight:

You've probably read this on the forums before, but Kai SS blades can really breathe new life into a mild razor.

Thu 21st SOTD
Soap Stirling Mountain Man
Brush BOTI 26mm Silvertip
Razor Karve Brass SB-D
Blade Feather Stainless 1st
Post & Aftershaves Ice Water + Thayers + Hyaluronic + Clubman Brandy Spice
Nice scent and lather performance from the soap.
Shave with razor paired with the blade was excellent! Sharp, smooth, and comfortable for 3passes without any issues resulting in a bbs feel. Blade plays the lead role for today. Rating 10/10!
20210121_105127.jpg

Prep: Room Temperature Water Splashes + Glycerin Face Wash
Razor: Parker Push to Load Shavette
Blade: Wilkinson Sword Indian Half Blade (D1)
Brush: Semogue SOC Boar
Cream : Hawkins and Brimble Shaving Cream
Aftershave: Alum Block + Cold Water Rinse + Old Spice Original AS Lotion
Rating : 9.85/10

Very comfortable and nice BBS in 2.5 passes !

Rockwell 6S Matte Black and Modern Williams with Aqua Velva.

Prep: Hot Shower
Soap: Williams Mug Soap
Razor: Rockwell 6S Matte Black (R6, R5, R4, and R3)
Blade: Personna Med Prep (6)
Brush: Zenith S
AS: Aqua Velva Ice Blue (Eur)
ASB: Aqua Velva (Eur)
Rating: 9.5/10

More Williams with a face lather!
[IMG]

[IMG]

Top Bottom